Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Star Wars: The Old Republic: Update 1.2: The Miracle Patch?

MikeBMikeB Community ManagerAdministrator RarePosts: 6,555

Update 1.2: Legacy is shaping up to a massive patch. But are expectations too high? We share our thoughts in this week's SWTOR column!

It almost feels like the run-up to launch all over again. For years, many gamers built up expectations for Star Wars: The Old Republic and there was no way BioWare could ever imagine to meet them. Now here we are again. Opinions on Star Wars: The Old Republic since the game launched are varied, ranging from complete detractors to your typical fanboys, but those somewhere in the middle have a number of clear issues with the game – issues that many are pinning on BioWare to address by update 1.2.

Read more of Michael Bitton's Star Wars: The Old Republic: Update 1.2: The Miracle Patch?

Comments

• RefMinorRefMinor Member UncommonPosts: 3,452

[mod edit]
  • dmordreddmordred Member Posts: 13

So quiet, let's start poking the tiger:

I actually stoped playing a while waiting for this patch... want to lvl some alts, but let's see what races will be avaiable then...

• adam_noxadam_nox Member UncommonPosts: 2,148

[mod edit]
  • WickedjellyWickedjelly Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 4,990

I'm sure when 1.2 comes out they'll be able to say the overwhelming vast majority of the 1.7 million players they have are subbed to the game.

>_>

1. For god's sake mmo gamers, enough with the analogies. They're unnecessary and your comparisons are terrible, dissimilar, and illogical.

2. To posters feeling the need to state how f2p really isn't f2p: Players understand the concept. You aren't privy to some secret the rest are missing. You're embarrassing yourself.

3. Yes, Cpt. Obvious, we're not industry experts. Now run along and let the big people use the forums for their purpose.

• holifeetholifeet Member Posts: 532

I really enjoyed this game when I played it. It's not very often I can say a MMO has given me two solid months of enjoyment...at least not in the last few years. That enjoyment might have gone on farther had people stuck around and had the game been more fun at level 50. It's hard to play a game where you're waiting for groups or simply doping the same solo quests over and over. When it came to a new character I didn't feel much like doing the same planets again, even for the incredible story that each class had.

As for the 1.2 patch well I'm sad to say I think it might come too late to make SWTOR the behemoth it could have been.

Perhaps if they combine the servers the game will become more playable, but I don't see a mass return of people to the game in April.

I never thought SWTOR was going to be the game to occupy me for a long, long time, but I would be more than happy to get a lot more fun out of it. I'm still subbed so maybe I'll go back when 1.2 arrives, but I might just decide I had my fun and I'm done now. GW2 is coming ever closer and that was always going to be more the game for me.

All hail the Pixel, for it is glorious Orange!
  • Joshua69Joshua69 Member UncommonPosts: 953

I'm excited, and have high hopes, but, remaining schepticle. SWTOR has been awesome imo, but, it does need a lot more of something. Maybe this is it.

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,498

Well, I'm currently playing SWTOR, and I haven't seen anything in 1.2 that will likely sway me to stay or go, not even the legacy system. (but I don't know all that much about it)

I have a level 43 heal spec'd Commando now, so I figure I'll try making an alt that either tanks or dps's to see if playing a different story line is all that fun.

My guild raids 2 times a week, I might join them if they have some openings, and it appears I'll be encouraged to run daily quests for money and to hang with the other folks.

But there are no miracle patches, (closest was AOC's right before launch) and in the end if you don't enjoy the game pretty much as it is right now, 1.2 isn't likely to open up a whole new world of fun and excitement for you.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• PuremallacePuremallace Member Posts: 1,856

It honestly sounds like the "stuff we should have listened to in BETA patch". Nice to see they are atleast taking the feedback and little stuff like UI adjusting is note considered "crazy wall" material anymore.

No dual spec as of yet or x-server LFG for war fronts and instances is concerning.

• thamighty213thamighty213 Member UncommonPosts: 1,637

Just unsubbed due to the comments that they dont really care about Ilum and it will be ready when its ready and that focus will now shift to warzone pvp.

1.2 heroic moments had a large part to play in it also with some that idiotic introduced its only a matter of time before SWTOR has pandas etc

Think it just took a little longer to get to the eureka "Hey this is just another PVE fest thempark where only the raiders are really catered for" moment.

Back to L2 or Aion until TSW

• TerranahTerranah Member UncommonPosts: 3,575

The whole premise of the game is light side versus dark side, and I can't advance light side do to a bug.  Maybe if they fix it where I can get light side points again I will resub. The patch will come after my sub runs out toward the end of March though so i don't know.  I'm still exploring planets and there are lots of quests to do even after i hit level 50.

• RefMinorRefMinor Member UncommonPosts: 3,452
    Originally posted by thamighty213

Just unsubbed due to the comments that they dont really care about Ilum and it will be ready when its ready and that focus will now shift to warzone pvp.
    1.2 heroic moments had a large part to play in it also with some that idiotic introduced its only a matter of time before SWTOR has pandas etc
    Think it just took a little longer to get to the eureka "Hey this is just another PVE fest thempark where only the raiders are really catered for" moment.

They are not Panda's they are Ewoks and they are part of the lore, and it's not unreasonable for some of them to have picked up force choke as a special move.
  • DkompozeDkompoze Member UncommonPosts: 245

Im playing swtor atm.....anyway most of 1.2 just seems like stuff they should have released at release,esp the UI changes. Im looking forward to the new WZ and a couple pvp things thats about it. BUT LIKE I SAID 90% OF THIS STUFF SHOULD HAVE BEEN AVAIL WITH THE GAMES RELEASE

• MugiMugiMugiMugi Member UncommonPosts: 18

Don't want to waste time rerolling in the game, and current server is totally a ghost server. At most 2-3 players within the same level range to do instances with... Pretty darn impossible.

I kind of doubt this is adressed with this patch.

• kaliniskalinis Member Posts: 1,428

For me 1.2 is just gonna add some nice cool goodies to the game. I am still having a blast even if i dont have a 50 yet. Sure it has some issues but overall its fun and thats all i cared about.

I am looking forward to 1.2 manly for the changes to crafting and the legacy system. While i love the game as is 1.2 sounds like some cool stuff added.

I still cant wait for more guild stuff to be added but as of now im happy with tor and plan on staying till they shut the doors , even if i wish i could be rhodian, wookie, or other non human races.

• stayontargetstayontarget Member RarePosts: 6,519

Well lets see if they can apply the patch without breaking the game even more.

Velika: City of Wheels: Among the mortal races, the humans were the only one that never built cities or great empires; a curse laid upon them by their creator, Gidd, forced them to wander as nomads for twenty centuries...

• HorusraHorusra Member EpicPosts: 4,411

No flashpoint finder...I will not be returning.

• MMOGamer71MMOGamer71 Member UncommonPosts: 1,988

Originally posted by Dkompoze

Im playing swtor atm.....anyway most of 1.2 just seems like stuff they should have released at release,esp the UI changes. Im looking forward to the new WZ and a couple pvp things thats about it. BUT LIKE I SAID 90% OF THIS STUFF SHOULD HAVE BEEN AVAIL WITH THE GAMES RELEASE

^

This

• TheonenoniTheonenoni Member Posts: 279

so Bioware sold us an unfinished product?  It feels like EA didnt even beta test this game. 

-I am here to perform logic

• ButeoRegalisButeoRegalis Member UncommonPosts: 594

Originally posted by RefMinor

Originally posted by thamighty213

They are not Panda's they are Ewoks and they are part of the lore, and it's not unreasonable for some of them to have picked up force choke as a special move.

if you had played the game - on the empire side - you would have run into all kinds of individuals from a lot of species who are force sensitive and can use force powers. Remember the Jawa?!?!

• MMOGamer71MMOGamer71 Member UncommonPosts: 1,988

Originally posted by Theonenoni

so Bioware sold us an unfinished product?  It feels like EA didnt even beta test this game. 

Was on three Beta, however after reading:

http://www.mmorpg.com/discussion2.cfm/thread/343437/An-insight-into-the-development-process-and-possible-answers-to-where-the-money-went.html

I don't think they care what the beta feadback was and the Beta was simply used as a check the block.

• PaithanPaithan Member Posts: 377

ALot of the things in the patch notes look promising but Im concerned about the crit crafts on orange gear. I hope they will test that thouroughly because it has the potentional to severely break ballance. I dont think it will be as severe as when Aoc added the gem system into the game shortly after the release of the game. The reballancing of pvp and pve costed the game dearly.

• ZhauricZhauric Member UncommonPosts: 292

Originally posted by Dkompoze

I'm sorry but I have to ask...and?

It wasn't so there it goes. That's how it is. It's like you're crying over spilled milk. Saying what should and shouldn't have been in at release at this juncture is pretty much pointless. The fact of the matter is that it is being implemented and they are at least doing something with the game instead of sitting on their hands.  

All folks seem to do is stick to this tantrum about the past. We have a few post talking about 'This was said in beta!' Who cares. You folks take games way...way too personally. Either have fun playing it or don't.

As for the patch looks interesting I guess. I'm not overly fond of the Legacy additions in regards to those heroic moments with various races and what not but I'm an RPer and it just seems out of place a bit. Not in full but in some parts at least. Everything else just things I knew to be coming. I'm more curious on what will happen with the classes as not much has been said except there is to be some sort of overhaul for balance purposes and maybe points refunded but none seem to know yet.

• HricaHrica Member UncommonPosts: 1,129

it's just too little to late if EA was wanting a "WoW" sub number.

SW is a niche Single player MMO game

• eyeswideopeneyeswideopen Member Posts: 2,414

Haven't played for the last 30-something days, sub runs out in 12 days. I hit 50 and that was that. And I'm not going to throw good money after bad to keep a sub I'm not using paid up just in case this patch actually accomplishes all they say it will ( I strongly doubt it will and expect, instead, it will be full of bugs and cut features ).

-Letting Derek Smart work on your game is like letting Osama bin Laden work in the White House. Something will burn.-
    -And on the 8th day, man created God.-

• Gel214thGel214th Member UncommonPosts: 188

Wow. Can we deny that things must be pretty bad with the current feature set for existing players to be so anxious for a patch which basically adds MMO features that are standard in 2012? 

I really do wonder what those who vehemently opposed features such as Looking for Group in PVE, moving Sprint to level 1, and Dual Spec roles ; and who villified gamers who requested those on the message forums , are saying now?