Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Lets Kickstart MMO made by mmorpg.com community !!!

LobotomistLobotomist Member EpicPosts: 5,965

I dont know if you guys are aware but there is great new trend of developers circumventing publishers and investors , and getting money straight from the gamers.

This way developers do not need to make any more wow clones , COD clones , angry birds clones - just in order to get financial backing from publishing companies.

No more EA , Activision and such bullshit.

Developers are free to make uncompromising and innovative stuff that gamers vote with their vallets -

Here are two awesome examples :

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/66710809/double-fine-adventure

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/inxile/wasteland-2?ref=live

So here is what I think:

MMO dont need budget like SWTOR.

Does it need to have fancy multimillion dollar graphic or voice over ?

I dont think so.

It could start small like EVE , and build from there.

Our time has come people !

So , here -

• Lets see who is interested in backing this puppy

• What kind of MMO would you like to see

• What features would you like

• And who would like to help making it

Comments

• BadSpockBadSpock Member UncommonPosts: 7,979

I actually suggested this a few weeks ago in a "MMOs are so dumbed down and stupid now bring back sandbox" thread.

Same links too (pretty much) to the Kickstarter project.

One of the many such threads popular these days, and I was laughed at and trolled/flamed.

Good luck!

Here's the rub.

Get 250,000 people to sign up to commit 10 dollars.

You have 2.5 million to make the game. Enough? Maybe for a small indy title that can grow.

REAL problem, those 250,000 people will probably complain if you ask them to pay another 10$ at launch.

"Well I already paid for this game, now I have to pay for it twice QQ!"

Project needs an organizer/spokes person that will gather info and liason if a small studio actually picks up project.

Can pretty much promise all 250k of your sponsors will not be able to agree on everything, and many will cancel their 10$ commitment.

As well as a % of people who say they will commit and then when the PayPal account is made to collect the 10$, that % will not pay up.

So you'd be lucky to get 50% of people who commit verbally to actually pay up. Now you are down to 1.25 million.

So again, I say "good luck!" and you have my 10$ if this actually gets off the ground!

• RefMinorRefMinor Member UncommonPosts: 3,452
    Misery Online: The Bickering

So , here -

• Lets see who is interested in backing this puppy

• What kind of MMO would you like to see

• What features would you like

• And who would like to help making it

-I would back 10-20$

-PvE sandbox focused on cooperative PvE community, exploration, crafting/building, combat, dynamic PvE warfare against intelligent, AI driven NPC faction.

-I'd really like to see a EvE Online v2 you could say like MMO - combat more like STO than EvE, massive open galaxy with free warp/jumping instead of gates or ridiculous STO instanced system. Entirely consensual (optional) PvP, real focus on dynamic cooperative PvE where you (the players) are playing together against the computer (NPCs) more like a RTS instead of mindless, dumb respawn PvE garbage like we're used to.

-Anyone with experience and a portfolio of successful projects. I think the Stardock/Ironclad folks who did Sins of a Solar Empire would be a great choice.

Great thing about a space only MMO is that you don't need to spend a whole lot of time/money on world building - just have nice backdrop graphics (like EvE) and the models of ships and such can be mediocre along with the particle effects as long as you have the massive scale and systems down right.

• VarkingVarking Member UncommonPosts: 542

I would throw in 5-10.

• LobotomistLobotomist Member EpicPosts: 5,965

Originally posted by BadSpock

I actually suggested this a few weeks ago in a "MMOs are so dumbed down and stupid now bring back sandbox" thread.

Same links too (pretty much) to the Kickstarter project.

One of the many such threads popular these days, and I was laughed at and trolled/flamed.

Good luck!

Here's the rub.

Get 250,000 people to sign up to commit 10 dollars.

You have 2.5 million to make the game. Enough? Maybe for a small indy title that can grow.

REAL problem, those 250,000 people will probably complain if you ask them to pay another 10$ at launch.

"Well I already paid for this game, now I have to pay for it twice QQ!"

Project needs an organizer/spokes person that will gather info and liason if a small studio actually picks up project.

Can pretty much promise all 250k of your sponsors will not be able to agree on everything, and many will cancel their 10$ commitment.

As well as a % of people who say they will commit and then when the PayPal account is made to collect the 10$, that % will not pay up.

So you'd be lucky to get 50% of people who commit verbally to actually pay up. Now you are down to 1.25 million.

So again, I say "good luck!" and you have my 10$ if this actually gets off the ground!

Well, here is what i think

- People that pay +15$ , get free copy of the game (when its released) ( and first month gameplay )

- Once you commit to Kickstarter you can not back up (unless the project is cancelled) thats how kickstarter works

- I believe that 1 million could be enough for indy MMO that does not relay on graphic ,

Something like Zomboid http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=sFEnEzAnOKw

Like let say MMO set in zombie infested city

Or something like Shadowbane , or something like EVE (as it was on begginings)

I am actually talking here about indie MMO ,

But one with real sandbox features. Like many people do want.

With no handholding - perhaps even permadeath. And all such stuff you can not put in comercial publisher backed game.

As for bickering online... hehe

Good idea ;)

• gainesvilleggainesvilleg Member CommonPosts: 1,053

Unfortunately if MMORPG community made the game it would only be a two faction system:  Haters versus Fanboys

GW2 "built from the ground up with microtransactions in mind"
    1) Cash->Gems->Gold->Influence->WvWvWBoosts = PAY2WIN
    2) Mystic Chests = Crass in-game cash shop advertisements

Originally posted by Lobotomist

With no handholding - perhaps even permadeath. And all such stuff you can not put in comercial publisher backed game.

And there in lies the real problem - good luck even getting a million $ with permadeath.

Or say "no FFA PvP" and oops there goes 200k potential investors.

You see my idea, more of a PvE sandbox with "us versus them" players cooperatively against intelligent enemy NPC AI-led faction in open, total warfare.

Thousand players, thousand different ideas.

You'd be better off saying "this is the idea, would you support it on a Kickstarter project" than asking people what the project should be and then asking for support.

Even with a kickstarter project, unless you are building it youself, it has to be a popular enough idea to get the support you need.

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,500

I'm expect an MMORPG designed and built by the people on these forums would end up a lot like the platypus.

A really odd combination of parts that you can't quite figure out what the guy who built it was thinking.image

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• LobotomistLobotomist Member EpicPosts: 5,965

And there in lies the real problem - good luck even getting a million $ with permadeath.

You see my idea, more of a PvE sandbox with "us versus them" players cooperatively against intelligent enemy NPC AI-led faction in open, total warfare.

You'd be better off saying "this is the idea, would you support it on a Kickstarter project" than asking people what the project should be and then asking for support.

You are right

But here we have two advantages

1. We dont have to compromise - No publisher is not going to tell us that let say Permadeath is no-go

2. We can make what people actually want to play - and not "clone of"

As for your idea vs permadeath

This is why i am asking.

• CrepitusCrepitus Member Posts: 49

Originally posted by Kyleran

I'm expect an MMORPG designed and built by the people on these forums would end up a lot like the platypus.

A really odd combination of parts that you can't quite figure out what the guy who built it was thinking.image

That made me laugh. Either a platypus or Homer's car.

• nariusseldonnariusseldon Member EpicPosts: 27,775

Probably won't work.

There is only 1 kickstart project that gathers millions.

There are 100x different directions for a MMO. You need hundred of thousands of people to donate $10 to even get to millions.

MMO is a lot more expensive than a PC game. You need servers, back end codes, on top of the client, which is essentially a full game development on its own.

The kind of budget from kickstart just won't cut it.

Will it focus on story with cutscenes?
  • punkrockpunkrock Member Posts: 1,777

If you could make it PVP like DAOC*Dark age of camelot* then i would toss in 15 bucks, with a 10 doller sub, or maybe even a 15 doller sub, with sojme of my ideas tossed in there.

• Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441

The budget probably could be solved for an indie game. You could probably do something like selling shares of the game for 20 bucks or so to members of the community.

But before even thinking about that part you would need 2 people: A good programmer and a good artist.

It is impossible to make a good MMO no matter what your budget is unless you have a good programmer.

Once you have these people it is you can start talking about features, budget and other stuff. There are plenty of people here with good ideas but implementing them in a game is not always easy or even possible.

And for people to back the game we need to agree on the basics of the game as well.

As for the running costs of a small indie game like this you could probably keep the game running by having banners in the character selection and if the game setting allows it some signs in the game.

• TROLL_HARDTROLL_HARD Member Posts: 312

And this is a hilarious community (which I am a part of). I don't think the community here would be any better than any community currently in any game, really. 

Can you imagine how much drama there would be? LOL

• ThorbrandThorbrand Member Posts: 1,198

There is no way I would want any part of this...WOW!

Call it EA JR.

• VengeSunsoarVengeSunsoar Member EpicPosts: 6,601

You are right

But here we have two advantages

1. We dont have to compromise - No publisher is not going to tell us that let say Permadeath is no-go

2. We can make what people actually want to play - and not "clone of"

As for your idea vs permadeath

This is why i am asking.

I don't think we could.

No one here can agree about any one topic.  Therefore IMO there would be more compromises than if the developers went to a publisher ot venture capitalist for money.

Because there would be so many compromises you would end up with a game no one would like - even more so than now.

I think the only way it would work would be if the developers did as someone suggested above, that is state their vision and ask for help funding it and the people helping funding can be heard and listend to, but the developers are under no obligation in any way to act on our concerns.

Just because you don't like it doesn't mean it is bad.
    Originally posted by Loke666

The budget probably could be solved for an indie game. You could probably do something like selling shares of the game for 20 bucks or so to members of the community.
    But before even thinking about that part you would need 2 people: A good programmer and a good artist.
    It is impossible to make a good MMO no matter what your budget is unless you have a good programmer.
    Once you have these people it is you can start talking about features, budget and other stuff. There are plenty of people here with good ideas but implementing them in a game is not always easy or even possible.
    And for people to back the game we need to agree on the basics of the game as well.
    As for the running costs of a small indie game like this you could probably keep the game running by having banners in the character selection and if the game setting allows it some signs in the game.

The running costs for a play server and a test server for a well known yet on here nameless non-profit emulation project which has usually 200-400 Users online concurrently with peaks of upto 1000 is approximately $900 a month, this excludes any staff costs (volunteers and an unfinished project in my example so I do not know the hours it needs).
  • maplestonemaplestone Member UncommonPosts: 3,099

This idea is forcing me to squirm and rationalize why I have not been making better, more productive use of my free time lately (money or no money).

• rasmijnrasmijn Member UncommonPosts: 50

well, i have started to develop a mmorpg with some friends. if there are some more people in the mmorpg.com community who wants to jump into the mmo-wagon let me know. later on i will be posting more info about it.

If this project got serious, I'd still donate money even if it was a game I would never play (like with permadeath) just because I support the idea of having choice/freedom and more variety in the genre.

New ideas, fresh faces etc.

• TirinasTirinas Member Posts: 117

I like the idea itself  and i would certainly love to see how it turns out.

There is one big problem though; asking it here people all want something different. You won't be able to please everyone so you either have to set some goals yourself or let people vote on things like that.

So depending on what kind of mmo it would be and other specifics i would back it IF it appeals to me because like food i want to taste everything i make :)

• FrostWyrmFrostWyrm Member Posts: 1,036

The only downside is that once an indy developer makes something really cool, the big companies gobble them up and assimilate them into their inky empty black heart cavities.

• TirinasTirinas Member Posts: 117

Originally posted by FrostWyrm

The only downside is that once an indy developer makes something really cool, the big companies gobble them up and assimilate them into their inky empty black heart cavities.

You could always tell them to piss off :P

• DoogiehowserDoogiehowser Member Posts: 1,873

So to who should i hand over the money? by the way i donated 500 bucks for Wasteland 2 kickstart project.

"The problem is that the hardcore folks always want the same thing: 'We want exactly what you gave us before, but it has to be completely different.'
    -Jesse Schell

"Online gamers are the most ludicrously entitled beings since Caligula made his horse a senator, and at least the horse never said anything stupid."
    -Luke McKinney