Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Wakfu: GDC 2012 Preview

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129

During the Game Developer's Conference, we managed to catch up to the Square Enix - Ankama Games team in charge of developing the recently-released Wakfu. We've got an on the spot report all about Wakfu that you won't want to miss. Check it out!

I'm going to come clean with this from the get-go: I love Wakfu.  Everything from the stylized art and animations to the turn-based combat and layered game systems speak to my gamer sensibilities.  I like the game so much, in fact, that after our preview with Ankama Games / Square Enix at GDC this past week, I promptly went home, downloaded the client and started playing.  Call it my newfound affinity for French anime, or love for cooky turn-based strategy games like Disgaea, but what I've seen and played of Wakfu so far has been pure fun.

Read more of Som Pourfarzaneh's Wakfu GDC 2012 Preview.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• TruthXHurtsTruthXHurts Member UncommonPosts: 1,555

The severely limited F2P model was a huge turoff to this otherwise interesting game.

"I am not in a server with Gankers...THEY ARE IN A SERVER WITH ME!!!"

• IndolIndol Member Posts: 189

I love Dofus and I love Wakfu even more =) I'm more than happy to back 6 bucks a month for this gem! There's really nothing out there quite like it, which is more than you can say about most MMO's.

• VindictusVindictus Member UncommonPosts: 49

Agreed, it's an excellent game - if they provide top notch support and more content i'll be playing this for a while.

• TruthXHurtsTruthXHurts Member UncommonPosts: 1,555

I just didn't find enough content to convince me to spend the 6 bucks. It's severely limited, and I felt like I couldn't do the most basic things without subscribing.

"I am not in a server with Gankers...THEY ARE IN A SERVER WITH ME!!!"

• maniacfoxmaniacfox Member UncommonPosts: 171

Been playing about a week and I'm hooked. I feel so guilty, my SWTOR sub is ticking away but I can't get enough of Wakfu!

• Panther2103Panther2103 Member EpicPosts: 5,766

Originally posted by TruthXHurts

I just didn't find enough content to convince me to spend the 6 bucks. It's severely limited, and I felt like I couldn't do the most basic things without subscribing.

It's really simple why it's so limited. Do you understand how bad the economy and government systems would be abused if every free account could do vote or mess with the economies in every nations areas? Also why should they give out everything for free, sure it's limited, but the 6 dollars a month is hardly anything to access the full game.

• AnnwynAnnwyn Member UncommonPosts: 2,854

I don't really like this Wakfu. I initially played back when it was in it's very first closed beta around 2008. Back then, there were very few limits, it was an entirely open world with no NPCs, there were a lot of mobs and ressources, you could plant anywhere provided the terrain would allow it. By that I mean that I could be in a completely different area, but found a decent spot of grass, then I could plant something there,  where as in this current Wakfu you can only plant in the same area or vicinity of other similar plants or mob spawns.  At least back then we (players) would get together in very small groups and start our own "garden" where we'd build all our ressources and PK anyone else who came nearby with the intention of stealing anything.

Now that was fun.

Sadly, around 2009 they decided to remake the game entirely. Now it's a lot more restricting and limited, that even though I've tried the give Wakfu several chances throughout the betas (2011-2012), I really never could get into the game as much as I did before in 2008. Admittedly, the classes are a lot more fun and "gimmicky" than they were before, but that's the only area where I believe Ankama really improved the game. It's a shame because I was really looking forward to Wakfu, but I'll have to wait for another game to show up (like ArcheAge)

• ShakyMoShakyMo Member CommonPosts: 7,207
    It's not a f2p, essentialy its a free trial upto level 20

Anyway its a fun game, I quite like it, better than many re ent games with huge budgets and sub and box price to match.
  • CollaborCollabor Member UncommonPosts: 37

I absolutely love Wakfu so far. At $6 a month, the subscription is cheap, and the game is quite unique. On the surface, beginning players may compare it to a Final Fantasy Tactics (but online!),  which I think is a great compliment, but the game is much more than that. Try out the free trial (unlimited access to the beginning area). It's a small download and is available for PC and Mac.

P.S. I too feel guilty my SWTOR sub is ticking away, but I can't get enough of this game!

P.P.S. It is a European game - If you do choose to subscribe, I highly recommend American players us PayPal  just for the added account security.

• IronfungusIronfungus Member Posts: 519

Originally posted by Panther2103

Originally posted by TruthXHurts

It's really simple why it's so limited. Do you understand how bad the economy and government systems would be abused if every free account could do vote or mess with the economies in every nations areas? Also why should they give out everything for free, sure it's limited, but the 6 dollars a month is hardly anything to access the full game.

Still not worth any amount of moeny per month, especially with Guild Wars 2 on the horizon and its upcoming buy-to-play model. It's a fun, charming little game, but it has extremely few character creation options, most of the classes are gimped to hell (or will be, with their ever-so-frequent changes) and crafting, so I hear, is for the most part useless, since you can farm mobs for half the effort (for the same or about the same equipment), and can do so alone.

Other than that, the game is just far too grindy for my taste. It has some potential, but ultimately, in its current state, I cannot recommend it to anyone, especially with their P2P model.

• hiloboyshiloboys Member Posts: 8

F2P allows to do all the battle content and such. But cannot interact with environment or craft anything. Stil really good imho. Id rather fight and do all the pvp/pve content anyways instead of spending hours in town crafting anyways.

Id give this game a 9/10 for content, gameplay, etc. So reminds me of a mmo Bastion style art game. 

10/10 once they fix the visual bugs I found in game. 

rawrawr

• ChrowXChrowX Member UncommonPosts: 21

Wakfu is a damn good game.. I just can't honestly say it's good enough to pay for. Honestly, their payment model makes it so the majority of the mechanics are now useless and untouchable because it splits the populace into paid and unpaid.

You absolutely need the free players to be involved in the economy and politics, because otherwise, you have an barren, empty game, where you have to grind for days to get the shit you need because there aren't enough paid members out there to pitch in.

You need 50 high quality, rare wood to make some shoulder armor? Well, get chopping. Since only paid members can use the professions, you have to grind all the way up to the highest skill to get it. All that extra wood you're going to end up with? Yeah.. there's no one out there to buy it from you. Worse still, now you have to make dozens of lower level armors to grind up your armorcrafting to get those shouldpads you need! Guess what else you aren't selling to anyone...

In short, it's a serious problem. Pay to play is counter-intuitive to a game that can only thrive in a bustling player community.

• SenadinaSenadina Member UncommonPosts: 896

I quite enjoyed Wakfu. But it really needs to be a true FTP with cash shop only, no subscription. As it is now, it's a free trial only. Even at only $6, it is not worth a sub.

• BoltonsquadBoltonsquad Member UncommonPosts: 403

Originally posted by Senadina

I quite enjoyed Wakfu. But it really needs to be a true FTP with cash shop only, no subscription. As it is now, it's a free trial only. Even at only $6, it is not worth a sub.

It follows the exact same payment model as Dofus and will never ever change. I personally love the game it's a sandbox game at it's very best, you can really do what you want!

• IndolIndol Member Posts: 189

Why do some people feel the right to complain if a game isn't free these days?

Has it gotten to the point that even paying for a game is seen as an unnecessary inconvenience?

Or is it just that the people complaining are kids with no money?

$6 a month is extremely cheap entertainment!