Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Disappointed with CE items

Comments

• observerobserver Member RarePosts: 3,685

Originally posted by achesoma

Personally, I've always felt CE versions of most MMOs are worthless.  But this honestly has to be one of the worst I've seen.  Might as well get the standard and use the money saved at the cash shop on specific items you really want.  Most people seem like they really only want the elite skill.  Humans already get a similar elite skill that sounds much more bad-ass anyway with http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Hounds_of_Balthazar

Agreed.  I've bought around 4 CE's already, and this one is the worst for in-game items.  I would've bought GW2 CE too, but like you said, i'd rather save the money and buy stuff from the in-game store.

• Kyuz0oKyuz0o Member Posts: 80

Yeah, wanted to buy 2 CE´s for me and my GF too, but since it is quite expensive considdering what you get, we decided to go for 1 CE and 1 Deluxe.

• Fir3lineFir3line Member Posts: 767

Personally I think this CE has everything that a CE needs to have, no ingame items at all, just miniatures and art books etc. 

I'd be pissed if I had to buy a CE just to get a pet ingame, or a special title that I wanted.

As for the price, well, their art team has won multple awards, so I guess its OK to be kinda expensive, if the CE's were limited I would probably buy 2 of them, and keep them unopened for future sales.

WoW CE are worth 600$ dolars now

"I am not a robot. I am a unicorn."

• ariboersmaariboersma Member Posts: 1,802

Originally posted by observer

Personally, I've always felt CE versions of most MMOs are worthless.  But this honestly has to be one of the worst I've seen.  Might as well get the standard and use the money saved at the cash shop on specific items you really want.  Most people seem like they really only want the elite skill.  Humans already get a similar elite skill that sounds much more bad-ass anyway with http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Hounds_of_Balthazar

Agreed.  I've bought around 4 CE's already, and this one is the worst for in-game items.  I would've bought GW2 CE too, but like you said, i'd rather save the money and buy stuff from the in-game store.

CEs arent for in game items >.< you buy CEs for the art books and the goodies.. which this CE has a lot of and well worth the money.

• ButregenyoButregenyo Member UncommonPosts: 483

i actually think that the CE is pretty good, saving the difference for cash store would be a good choice as well, but i will just get myself  a CE.

• LeodiousLeodious Member UncommonPosts: 773

Originally posted by Dream_Chaser

Originally posted by Betakodo
    Only one guy said something about the elite skill. I thought it was kind of stupid to put something like that as a CE item. Totally not in the spirit of the original guild wars.
    You mean, it's totally unlike the imp-summoning skill that totally wasn't a Game of the Year exclusive for Guild Wars?
    No, no... you're right. That totally doesn't exist. I must have imagined it.
    Sigh.

You're right, it is totally unlike that, since the imp was to help people leveling and couldn't be used once you reached the very low level cap. But I'm glad you get how it's different.

"There are two great powers, and they've been fighting since time began. Every advance in human life, every scrap of knowledge and wisdom and decency we have has been torn by one side from the teeth of the other. Every little increase in human freedom has been fought over ferociously between those who want us to know more and be wiser and stronger, and those who want us to obey and be humble and submit."

— John Parry, to his son Will; "The Subtle Knife," by Phillip Pullman

• marinridermarinrider Member UncommonPosts: 1,556

If you do not care about the monument and the real world goodies then you are not a collector, thus you should not be buying, or whining about the COLLECTORS EDITION.

Come on people.

• botrytisbotrytis Member RarePosts: 3,363

Originally posted by marinrider

If you do not care about the monument and the real world goodies then you are not a collector, thus you should not be buying, or whining about the COLLECTORS EDITION.

Come on people.

QFT!! +1 on this....

• ODrifterODrifter Member Posts: 18

should include a t-shirt and a mouse pad like wow had for their CE Cata, best mouse pad ever

• MephsterMephster Member Posts: 1,188

I didnt know some were more concerned about materialistic nonsense rather than playing a great mmo.

Grim Dawn, the next great action rpg!

http://www.grimdawn.com/

• Jimmy562Jimmy562 Member UncommonPosts: 1,158

Originally posted by ariboersma

Originally posted by observer

CEs arent for in game items >.< you buy CEs for the art books and the goodies.. which this CE has a lot of and well worth the money.

Agreed. People seem to forget what a collector's edition means.

• catplaycatplay Member Posts: 71

Originally posted by botrytis

Come on people.

QFT!! +1 on this....

I dont collect trash... sorry.

• DistopiaDistopia Member EpicPosts: 21,183

Originally posted by catplay

Then why are you even commenting on it?

For every minute you are angry , you lose 60 seconds of happiness."-Emerson

• Astral-EchoAstral-Echo Member Posts: 5

I've always gone for the CE of games for the sake of the in-game goodies. Sometimes there will be box-exclusives that interest me, but for the most part my "inner collector" is satisfied by the things I can show off to my in-game friends. As far as GW2's offerings go, I'm pretty apathetic about it. The elite skill is interesting, but I can't imagine why I would choose it over any of my other options. A mini-pet isn't enough to justify the increase in price, considering that if I ever do use a mini-pet, I'm more likely to use one I obtain in-game. The other items are single-use or pitifully temporary. I might change my mind if the portable bank gets clarified / changed into something more useful, but right now I think this is the first time in over a decade that I'm going to pass on a special edition of an MMO (that I already plan on playing).

Come on people.

I dunno, I'm certainly a collector of games and I have plenty of CE boxes sitting on my shelves, but the whole jacking-up-the-price-by-$70-with-a-statue is getting a little tiresome. I think it's most troubling with Guild Wars 2 because the character is so obscure and the property itself is still fairly new. I also can't say that the writing for Guild Wars 1 was anything that drew me in much. Taking the hit to my wallet for a statue of Darth Malgus, arguably the most prominent character in TOR's marketing scheme was one thing. The Batman statue for DCUO was also pretty understandable, though I didn't bother with the game personally. Doing it for Rytlock Brimstone? Meh, I'll pass. I'd have been more comfortable with the charr plushy for an extra $10-$20.

Originally posted by catplay

Originally posted by botrytis

Come on people.

QFT!! +1 on this....

I would hardly say that these: http://www.gentlegiantltd.com/ are trash.

These things are very high quality.

Originally posted by Astral-Echo

I've always gone for the CE of games for the sake of the in-game goodies. Sometimes there will be box-exclusives that interest me, but for the most part my "inner collector" is satisfied by the things I can show off to my in-game friends. As far as GW2's offerings go, I'm pretty apathetic about it. The elite skill is interesting, but I can't imagine why I would choose it over any of my other options. A mini-pet isn't enough to justify the increase in price, considering that if I ever do use a mini-pet, I'm more likely to use one I obtain in-game. The other items are single-use or pitifully temporary. I might change my mind if the portable bank gets clarified / changed into something more useful, but right now I think this is the first time in over a decade that I'm going to pass on a special edition of an MMO (that I already plan on playing).

Come on people.

I dunno, I'm certainly a collector of games and I have plenty of CE boxes sitting on my shelves, but the whole jacking-up-the-price-by-$70-with-a-statue is getting a little tiresome. I think it's most troubling with Guild Wars 2 because the character is so obscure and the property itself is still fairly new. I also can't say that the writing for Guild Wars 1 was anything that drew me in much. Taking the hit to my wallet for a statue of Darth Malgus, arguably the most prominent character in TOR's marketing scheme was one thing. The Batman statue for DCUO was also pretty understandable, though I didn't bother with the game personally. Doing it for Rytlock Brimstone? Meh, I'll pass. I'd have been more comfortable with the charr plushy for an extra $10-$20.

I agree about the price.  And I think you would be a person who is in the right place to comment on it.  But the people who are like "I dont want the statue but its expensive" are just wasting forum space.

• SuraknarSuraknar Member UncommonPosts: 852

The OP has too much of a materialistic mentality.

If the game is good and Fun...the items mean really nothing.

- Duke Suraknar -
    Order of the Silver Star, OSS

ESKA, Playing MMORPG's since Ultima Online 1997 - Order of the Silver Serpent, Atlantic Shard
  • mbrodiembrodie Member RarePosts: 1,504

seems like a lot more self entitlement from people expecting if they buy the collectors edition they should get pay to win items... collectors edition has never been about ingame items.. generally the same items can be obtained in a digital deluxe edition, collectors  has always been about the collectors items you get with it... soundtracks, artwork, maps, statues, "making of dvd's" etc... so for 2012 it is your general collectors edition...

• Calhoun619Calhoun619 Member Posts: 126

So youre telling us youre disappointed in items that come in a purchase you dont even have to make?

Man who gives a fuck about the items, you werent automatically turned off by what im hearing is a 150 dollar price tag?

I know some will buy it and thats all great more power to someone who spends their money on what they want. No way in hell im paying 150 for a pc game personally.

But thats whats ok about it, I can choose NOT to buy the CE just as easy as someone can choose to pick it up.

• just1opinionjust1opinion Member UncommonPosts: 4,641

This thread is ridiculous.  If you don't like it, then don't buy it.  I swear MMORPG.com'ers would find a way to whine about being given a truckload of gold bars....the bars are too heavy, they're too shiny, they don't match my shirt.....waaah wah wah.

President of The Marvelously Meowhead Fan Club

• bookworm438bookworm438 Member Posts: 647

Originally posted by just1opinion

This thread is ridiculous.  If you don't like it, then don't buy it.  I swear MMORPG.com'ers would find a way to whine about being given a truckload of gold bars....the bars are too heavy, they're too shiny, they don't match my shirt.....waaah wah wah.

"Their not shiny enough, there's a scratch on one, there's a spot on that one" And the biggest one "The trucks not big enough".

Again, you DON'T have to buy it if you dont' want it. No one's forcing you to purchase the CE edition. Rather than complaining, purchase a DDE or the standard edition. TBH, it seems like a standard CE edition to me. You get a bunch of REAL WORLD stuff that you don't get with the other editions. I won't buy it because I'm not interested in that stuff, and I'd prefer to just buy the game. If you are complaining about the price tag, well welcome to captialism. It's a CE, it's suppose to be more money. If it's out of your price range, tough luck. Either save up for it, or purchase one of the lower cost versions. I don't like the idea of spending $150 on a game, but that's just my personal view as a college kid. Not when I can get the same thing (in reference to to the game) for $60.

• fiontarfiontar Member UncommonPosts: 3,682

You know, it doesn't bother me personally that the CE items are underwhelming. I'm leaning towards the DCE for the Elite Skill and to show my support for Arenanet, but if I decide to just go with the DSE, that's no problem either and just saves me $20.

However, I do feel bad for Arenanet and NCSoft, because if the goal of the CE items is to encourage more people to pay an extra $20 for digital goodies, these particular goodies just aren't particularly compelling. I'd rather see them make more money, so that the financial success of the game will be more substantial and the development budget for live updates and expansions will be more than healthy. So, yeah, I'm disappointed. Not for myself or the fans, but for Arenanet, because it almost seems like someone doesn't want to maximize DCE and Physical CE sales.

Want to know more about GW2 and why there is so much buzz? Start here: Guild Wars 2 Mass Info for the Uninitiated

• LeodiousLeodious Member UncommonPosts: 773

Originally posted by fiontar
    You know, it doesn't bother me personally that the CE items are underwhelming. I'm leaning towards the DCE for the Elite Skill and to show my support for Arenanet, but if I decide to just go with the DSE, that's no problem either and just saves me $20.
    However, I do feel bad for Arenanet and NCSoft, because if the goal of the CE items is to encourage more people to pay an extra $20 for digital goodies, these particular goodies just aren't particularly compelling. I'd rather see them make more money, so that the financial success of the game will be more substantial and the development budget for live updates and expansions will be more than healthy. So, yeah, I'm disappointed. Not for myself or the fans, but for Arenanet, because it almost seems like someone doesn't want to maximize DCE and Physical CE sales.

I felt the same way, and I mentioned that I wanted something cooler like the auras or dances from GW1. But I am thinking maybe they will add something like that to the store. They need to make money, and people who support the company should get cool-looking stuff. We don't know how things play out, and maybe the Chalice and Tome are very powerful and useful, and are worth having.

I am annoyed that the only aesthetic thing is a miniature I don't like and wouldn't use even if I did, because it just does not make sense. I don't like that about Anet, this penchant for giving us miniatures that really don't make sense, like the Mini Varesh, and Koss, and so on. It's weird, and I don't like it. But that's not important, and is a personal preference. It doesn't make me enjoy Guild Wars less.

But I really like cool aesthetic things that set me apart, because yes, I like to show off and look cool. I like CEs to have some permanent aesthetic I can pull out and be like "Yes, I'm cool, and I love Anet." But maybe my albino raven and my red golem will do that better, because I can be like "That's right, I played the hell out of Guild Wars, too."

Maybe it is better than the coolest rewards are for the loyal players, because with their model, those are the ones you need to keep happy.

As far as the physical items, they are just what we'd expect, and I think what it includes is fine.

I think we can't make any final determination about whether this was a good idea or not until we see how powerful those things are and see what they include in the store.

Regardless, the game is too fun for me to let this stop me; but it does seem really weird and underwhelming for CE items.

"There are two great powers, and they've been fighting since time began. Every advance in human life, every scrap of knowledge and wisdom and decency we have has been torn by one side from the teeth of the other. Every little increase in human freedom has been fought over ferociously between those who want us to know more and be wiser and stronger, and those who want us to obey and be humble and submit."

— John Parry, to his son Will; "The Subtle Knife," by Phillip Pullman

• PukeBucketPukeBucket Member Posts: 867

I just hate the term "collectors" being used.

I have 2 EverQuest 2 "collectors" edition tins.

I don't think they've appreciated in value what so ever. Anyone wanna make a bid for one? It has a coin, an artbook, a music CD, and other little things. Let's say... $200?

No?

Me either.

I think "give us your money and we'll give you some useless shit edition" seems more befitting. Or to be more PC "fanatic spender edition".

I mean really the statue could at least double as a bottle opener or something useful.

I used to play MMOs like you, but then I took an arrow to the knee.

• EvilestTwinEvilestTwin Member Posts: 286

Originally posted by PukeBucket

I just hate the term "collectors" being used.

I have 2 EverQuest 2 "collectors" edition tins.

I don't think they've appreciated in value what so ever. Anyone wanna make a bid for one? It has a coin, an artbook, a music CD, and other little things. Let's say... $200?

No?

Me either.

I think "give us your money and we'll give you some useless shit edition" seems more befitting. Or to be more PC "fanatic spender edition".

I mean really the statue could at least double as a bottle opener or something useful.

Uh, don't buy CE's if you're trying to speculate on it's value.   Buy it if you like the items in it.  Otherwise buy the normal edition.   The only CE's that appreciate in value are those that are ACTUALLY limited.   Like the BlazBlue Continuum Shift Fan Edition that was a UK exclusive.   Only 1000 copies were made total (500 each for PS3/360).   It was released in the UK for £54.99 /$86.07 and now is worth upwards of $200 on ebay.   The plastic figurine that came with it is worth $95 alone.  

Every CE I've bought I bought because I wanted the items that came with it.   If I didn't like what came with the CE, I just get the normal edition.  What's the point in buying the CE if you don't want any of the CE items?