Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

World of Warcraft: Legal Battle Over Baby Murloc's Voice

2»

Comments

• KostKost Member CommonPosts: 1,975

Originally posted by MMOarQQ

In the end it'll all come down to the language in her contract as a CSR. Her lawyer's probably found a loophole. Also, I expect this to settle out of court.

I agree completely on all counts.

• RanyrRanyr Member UncommonPosts: 212

If she's one of the 600 fired she should try and get hers. Hope she wins.

• illspawnillspawn Member UncommonPosts: 81

Originally posted by Skuz

I think that the very least she should get is a listing in the credits for being the voice of the baby Murloc, any more than that seems discreditable.

Creative recognition is a legitimate claim.

Yeah I don't think it is a lot to ask for a company to mention your name when you do work for them.

• KhrymsonKhrymson Member UncommonPosts: 3,090

I hope she wins!   Sure it was probably recorded while she was already on the clock and getting paid, but I'm pretty sure that voice acting is not a part of the GM contract, and besides, its her voice and Blizzard doesn't own that.  More than likely she was ok with having offered her vocals at the time, but then when not having her name credited for the talent or given a little extra, I'd be pissed off too.

Murlocks are pretty much the Mascot of WoW and have not only helped generate extra funds from additonal merchandise, but have probably enticed people to purchase and play WoW.

What is most annoying about this, is that she had to go this far.  Blizzard is a multi-billion dollar company not hurting for funds, and what she's asking for is probably not very much.  Maybe a few million if that.  However, instead of just giving her some pocket change and recognition, Blizzard will instead end up paying probably 10x that amount in legal fees to fight it...its just silly!

• CripnoahCripnoah Member Posts: 128

I doubt she'll win the case. Blizzard is dead in my eyes but I think even they had enough legal forsight for something like this.

• kishekishe Member UncommonPosts: 2,012

One american sues another for stupid reason? STOP THE PRESSES!

• makkaalmakkaal Member Posts: 48

"Galalallalagrlala. Lalgglrrrglalgala. Lagagalralallaghrglhpfnzk."

*Throws on Audacity*

"I obviously contributed to this products major success."

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5jWo7Yjq-Tw

SERIOUSLY?

Let me point out that, in fact, I couldn't care less about these first world problems. I'm just having fun.

• DexterMMODexterMMO Member Posts: 484

I wont read the official article because I do not want to hate another person for their greed and stupidity. If there were any additional dollars to be paid to voice acting when you're already an employee I hope she gets compensation... yet most likely shes just one of these I spilled hot coffee on my crotch... pay me for it type of people.

Everything I say is my opinion or personal preference. You may or may not find it useful to your cause but regardless I am entitled to it.

• WicoaWicoa Member UncommonPosts: 1,637

Are you guys freaking kidding me? Am I the first to think of this? How great would that woman be in bed with all her murgle gurgles!

I know Im brilliant you may pay me in internet love!

• AcmegamerAcmegamer Member UncommonPosts: 337

Originally posted by tawess

I would asume she did not do this as a part of her contractual(sp) duties and thus she should at least get recognition. Otherwise she would not have a leg to stand on and no one would be crazt enough to take it to court.

It will most likley end in a settlement tho...

Yup, after reading the case I assume settlement will be where it goes. She'll get paid.

• dinamsdinams Member Posts: 1,362

murlocs rebelled against their evil overlords

"It has potential"
    -Second most used phrase on existence
    "It sucks"
    -Most used phrase on existence

• trojan99trojan99 Member UncommonPosts: 51

when i worked for big companies there was always an incentive somewhere for contributing to the success or brand of the company or saving the company money, even if it was an idea developed during work hours.

in addition, her duties as a GM are far removed from voice acting and she should be compensated in some way regardless.

cant believe so many ppl are not on her side here. *scratches head*

• FrostWyrmFrostWyrm Member Posts: 1,036

Hey Inigo!...I hope she wins.

• CeridithCeridith Member UncommonPosts: 2,980

Originally posted by DexterMMO

I wont read the official article because I do not want to hate another person for their greed and stupidity. If there were any additional dollars to be paid to voice acting when you're already an employee I hope she gets compensation... yet most likely shes just one of these I spilled hot coffee on my crotch... pay me for it type of people.

Or, she's one of the 600+ people that Blizzard kicked to the curb so they could meet their quarterly target.

In which case, I think she's completely justified after having contributed above and beyond her terms of employment, and then being treated like dirt by the company.

• Ramonski7Ramonski7 Member UncommonPosts: 2,662

Originally posted by Ceridith

Or, she's one of the 600+ people that Blizzard kicked to the curb so they could meet their quarterly target.

In which case, I think she's completely justified after having contributed above and beyond her terms of employment, and then being treated like dirt by the company.

She replied to an internal email request asking for voice samples for WoW characters that Blizzard sent all their employees. It doesn't matter if she was a lowly GM or a programmer, she was an employee. Now unless we know specifically what was covered in that company email to her, we cannot say how things will play out. But the facts we can pull from this matter are:

1. She was an employee

2. She responded to an email therefor gave undisputed permission.

And with looking at those two pieces of information so far, the scale is tipping in Blizzards favor.

"Small minds talk about people, average minds talk about events, great minds talk about ideas."

• CeridithCeridith Member UncommonPosts: 2,980

Originally posted by Ramonski7

She replied to an internal email request asking for voice samples for WoW characters that Blizzard sent all their employees. It doesn't matter if she was a lowly GM or a programmer, she was an employee. Now unless we know specifically what was covered in that company email to her, we cannot say how things will play out. But the facts we can pull from this matter are:

1. She was an employee

And with looking at those two pieces of information so far, the scale is tipping in Blizzards favor.

Fantastic assumption, let's see how well that excuse holds up in court.

Being an employee does not automatically mean that any and all contribution she does is assumed part of her original contractual employment, unless expressly stated in the contract of employment and her having agreed to it as part of a condition of her employment.

If such contribution was not outlined within the contract of her employment, and there was also an absence of her having signed a waiver for her additional work contribution, then it is left for the courts to decide whether she deserves any compensation for her contribution.

To reiterate, it all comes down to the fine print in her contract of employment, or any other waiver she may or may not have signed as part of her contribution.

• Ramonski7Ramonski7 Member UncommonPosts: 2,662

Originally posted by Ramonski7

1. She was an employee

Fantastic assumption, let's see how well that excuse holds up in court.

Being an employee does not automatically mean that any and all contribution she does is assumed part of her original contractual employment, unless expressly stated in the contract of employment and her having agreed to it as part of a condition of her employment.

If such contribution was not outlined within the contract of her employment, and there was also an absence of her having signed a waiver for her additional work contribution, then it is left for the courts to decide whether she deserves any compensation for her contribution.

To reiterate, it all comes down to the fine print in her contract of employment, or any other waiver she may or may not have signed as part of her contribution.

All I'm saying that if she didn't give permission for them to use her voice how on earth did Blizzard pry it from her? Did they force her to sing in Murlocese at gunpoint? Like I said before, unless we know what instructions/message  was in the body of the email she received and responded to, we will not know what will come of this. BUT from the fact that she did give permission (by accepting the terms of the email) and then backpeddled by stating that she NEVER gave permission for Blizzard to use her voicework shows that she's not being straightfoward with all the information and that makes her look bad not Blizzard.

"Small minds talk about people, average minds talk about events, great minds talk about ideas."

• JediConsularJediConsular Member Posts: 51

Good for her! I for one am sick of big corps taking advantage of the little guy...or gal as in this situation.

Companies screwing over their employees nowadays seems to be common practice as most assume they can get away with it...and usually do.

My text is green because my posts are created with Willpower!