Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

MechWarrior Online: GDC 2012 Gameplay Trailer

Comments

• McGamerMcGamer Member UncommonPosts: 1,073

The game looks great so far. [Mod Edit]

The only thing I am wondering now is if the in-game world is persistent and if the pilots have avatars even. I really don't feel like playing another EVE where your vehicle is your character without a body. 

• TommiJyurroTommiJyurro Member Posts: 51

First: Unless you have been in ANY of the combat professions: Marine, Navy, Army, Airforce:  you have no frame of reference for the pace of combat in the vid, so shut yer yap.  So there is no limp-wristed jumping around in circles, that stuff is for WoW and SW:TOR yuppies anyways.  Big Whup.  The Gameplay is awesome.  They did a great Job for the vid.

Anything new here? Hmmm... Nope. o/

• joonkp1976joonkp1976 Member Posts: 93

Originally posted by TommiJyurro

First: Unless you have been in ANY of the combat professions: Marine, Navy, Army, Airforce:  you have no frame of reference for the pace of combat in the vid, so shut yer yap.  So there is no limp-wristed jumping around in circles, that stuff is for WoW and SW:TOR yuppies anyways.  Big Whup.  The Gameplay is awesome.  They did a great Job for the vid.

Does that mean 'YOU ARE UNDER ARREST'?  lol...  Yeah the game is awesome...  I cannot wait for its betas...

• Asuran24Asuran24 Member Posts: 517

Originally posted by TommiJyurro

I would agree with you in that they did a great job with the gameplay, designs (for the style chosen.), and such. Yet really trully even being in any of the modern combat professions will give you any more reference, then someone who has played mech games for years. For someone that has played this style of game overall for the style of mech, as well as series it looke really well done, and the speed is right for how hulking the mech are.  Also for the most part circle jumping  to keep your movements eradtic has been in the genre for as long as you have had the ability to  use jets as well as jumping. It has just become more standard as well as more visable with how wide spread mmos are, and how used it is in more free-aiming type combat. Whenn i played in fps tournies, or with friends it was a common tactic to use jet bursts to make yoru movements harder to forcast, most of all in areas with little or no cover.

• TillerTiller Member LegendaryPosts: 11,125

Looks like most  of the MW games I played back in the day. Not sure if that's good or bad yet...btw what was up with all the mod edits? I honestly didn't find the moderated posts offensive in any way.

SWG Bloodfin vet
    Elder Jedi/Elder Bounty Hunter

• RobsolfRobsolf Member RarePosts: 4,607

always hopeful...

• yaminsuxyaminsux Member UncommonPosts: 973

Looks great, though it looks like a lobby multiplayer deathmatch mode (ala WOT). But if it's good, then I dont care.

• DamonDamon Member UncommonPosts: 170

That video makes the game look terribly lame and boring.  If you're interested in a mech game that looks fun, go check out HAWKEN. 

Originally posted by Damon

That video makes the game look terribly lame and boring.  If you're interested in a mech game that looks fun, go check out HAWKEN. 

That is too much a matter of opinon just as much as i prefer the faster pace, design style, and such of the Armored core series, while another prefers the more slow paces (which in ways can be mroe tactical too at times.), mech designs, and such of the mechwarrior series. Hawken looks good both in design as well as concept, but i would go for a mechwarrior mmos over it, just as much as i would take a Armored core mmos over either of those.

• DamonDamon Member UncommonPosts: 170

Fair enough.  I should have started with "in my opinion.." :)

• MaelkorMaelkor Member UncommonPosts: 459

Originally posted by VassagoMael

There is no such thing as a "tank" or "dps" in MechWarrior as it is a pvp game and there is no such thing as "aggro".

Just because a game is pvp does not mean there is no aggro . Aggro is causing another entity to become aggresive to you over something else. The way to get aggro in a pvp environment is to do heavy damage to an opponent either forcing them to turn their attention to you or run away.

A heavy mech in the Mechwarior IP is designed to carry a lot of weaponry that can do extensive damage as well as a ton of armor that can soak up a lot of damage. This results in a designation of "tank". It is slow moving hits real hard and can take a lot of punishment. Typically one salvo from an atlas type mech can destroy a scout mech if all of their weapons land. At the very least it can do enough damage to cripple a light mech such that the second salvo is guarenteed to land and destroy the light mech. The light mech on the other hand will have to pepper an atlas with 10 or 20 salvos to take it out unless they get a  lucky crit type hit on the cockpit area.

There are also some medium type mechs which can be considered DPS in that they give up a lot of armor in exchange for extra speed and extra weapons. Thus they can hit as hard as an atlas but become as fragile as a light mech.

The great thing about the mechwarrior IP in general is there is so much potential variation that every playstyle can find a niche. Whether this game can fullfill that is what is in question at this point.

Originally posted by Damon

Mechwarrior online is a simulation whereas Hawken is a FPS in my opinion...  just the heavy clanks and the laggage of titanic mechs sound fun to me too although Hawken seems pretty fast action based...

• shantidevashantideva Member UncommonPosts: 186

Madcat!

"Train by day, Joe Rogan podcast by night, all day!"

Originally posted by shantideva

Madcat!

War'toad(hawk)'!  lol...

• palulalulapalulalula Member UncommonPosts: 651

One of the best genre ever. Pure Mech power, my favorite for future. Getting bored with spells and magic mambo jambo and ready to fire some big guns, ooo mama!

• CripnoahCripnoah Member Posts: 128

2012 year of the mech(a)

We have:

MechWarrior Online online

Hawken

Armored Core: V

Looking forward to it. Enjoying SD gundam capsule fighter at the moment.

Originally posted by Cripnoah

2012 year of the mech(a)

We have:

Hawken

Yeah now if they would only take the phantasy stay universe mmos, and make a new ne that is actually set in the same solar system as well as setting as the frst four phantasy star games. That setting had a really nice mix of sci-fi, and fantasy feel to it without it trully feeling too much of either. So long as it is not classed based with the skills you choose determining nearrly everythign about your character, it should be really nice to lay.

• NewHorizonNewHorizon Member Posts: 18

EPIC.

It's so awsome that past founder of FASA with Smith & Tinker (Infinite Game Publishing?) negotaited the licsense back from Microsoft! Thanks for saving the Battletech universe and Parana rebooting titles like this. They have a real interesting history on their homepage with how this almost did not happen, and what happend when they got the IP!.

• NewHorizonNewHorizon Member Posts: 18

Originally posted by Cripnoah

2012 year of the mech(a)

We have:

Hawken

Dont forget Mechwarrior Tactics, odly enough being planned for release soon too, this is also being published by Infitite Game Publishings. How silly simlar projects are being released and planned by the same groups of people: Smith and Tinker (founder of FASA and creater of Mechwarrior:Mercinaries, best mech game ever,) Infiite Game Publishings, and Parana, in total, but not eclusively. What a conflict of interest!

• tawesstawess Member EpicPosts: 4,227

It looks like i can almost cross one of my dreams of the list... It is not a real MMO but at least it is a very nice Mechwarrior game.

Now for someone to make a Transformers MMO (a real one not some shabby browserbased lightweight) and for CCP to get back on developing the VtM MMO.

This have been a good conversation

• ejendalsejendals Member Posts: 33

-arf-a-f

• Fir3lineFir3line Member Posts: 767
    This makes eve battles look interesting

"I am not a robot. I am a unicorn."

• ProfGetzProfGetz Member UncommonPosts: 182

Slow combat... well ,yes. How fast would you expect a 75-100 ton mech to go exactly? There should be diffrent classes of mech from stupid fast to slow and powerful. Watching with interest.

Every MMORPG is AWESOME, until it's released!
    I don't want a game so much as I want a WORLD!
    --
    o·pin·ion –noun
    1. a belief or judgment that rests on grounds insufficient to produce complete certainty.
    2. a personal view, attitude, or appraisal.

• CaldrinCaldrin Member UncommonPosts: 4,505

Been keeping myself up to date with this game since it was announced and i cant wait...

Out of all the mech type games out there Mechwarrior is still the best by far.

Have played probally all the Mchwarrior games ever released and they have all been great fun, the style and mvoement of the mechs is eactly how i would expect one to handle in real life if we could ever do such a thing... All this whizzing and jumping around in the FPS style mech games just dont feel right at all.

Mechs are suppose to be really heavy bits of kit its just not gonna move around like a person does.

Anyway looknig forward to this, but yeah its a shame its not a full on MMORPG :)

• OlgarkOlgark Member UncommonPosts: 342

Looks intresting.

As for the comments on slow combat, your driving a huge walking metal tank. Its not going to be moving that fast.

But by the looks of it there were some smaller ones moving about faster than the one the viewer was looking out of.