Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Fuzzy Avatars Solved! Please re-upload your avatar if it was fuzzy!

Time to retire... to EVE

2»

Comments

  • ArakaziArakazi OxfordPosts: 889Member

    To really, really do well in EvE you need charisma and certain level of inteligence and some backbone will also help. I just rolled a new toon about two days ago and he will be terrorising low sec within a month when I eventually convince, persuade and blackmail and bribe people to come with me. My ultimate aim with this toon is to help two of my best friends in the game create an alliance that will shake things up a bit. They are both recruiting from within other corp while I will infiltrate the other corp we intend to... do fun stuff with.

    Now I suck at this game even after playing it for 7 years, I'm really an average PvP pilot. I haved bluffed my way to the top of an alliance by gaining trust setting up events and trying to be a positive force within a corp. I have also played two alliances against each other and took their best pilots and help build one of the most formidable forces within any MMO. I have also helped destroy that alliance from the inside out of sheer boredom.  Never under estimate politics in EVE.

  • bumuscheekusbumuscheekus LondonPosts: 214Member

    I was tempted...logged into my account...and then remembered it was 14.99 euros per month, bugger that 

     

    It's a shame there isn't at least a trial reactivation period to remind me if it's worth paying for again. 

  • sycofiendsycofiend Frederick, MDPosts: 128Member

    you can play for free if you can manage to make about 300 million ISK a month ;0)

     

    -- yeah I know .. Im still working on that myself...

  • KiljaedenasKiljaedenas New Westminster, BCPosts: 468Member

    Originally posted by Arakazi

    To really, really do well in EvE you need charisma and certain level of inteligence and some backbone will also help. I just rolled a new toon about two days ago and he will be terrorising low sec within a month when I eventually convince, persuade and blackmail and bribe people to come with me. My ultimate aim with this toon is to help two of my best friends in the game create an alliance that will shake things up a bit. They are both recruiting from within other corp while I will infiltrate the other corp we intend to... do fun stuff with.

    Now I suck at this game even after playing it for 7 years, I'm really an average PvP pilot. I haved bluffed my way to the top of an alliance by gaining trust setting up events and trying to be a positive force within a corp. I have also played two alliances against each other and took their best pilots and help build one of the most formidable forces within any MMO. I have also helped destroy that alliance from the inside out of sheer boredom.  Never under estimate politics in EVE.

    Everything in this statement is so damn true, your real-world charisma, intelligence and skill at politics is such a major part of Eve once you get into the more complex aspects of it and can have significant effects on the gaming lives of many people (I like the comment about destroying the alliance from the inside :) ). This kind of thing is why I keep playing Eve, since most other games out there don't even have the capacity for this kind of thing to happen.

    Where's the any key?

  • MisalignedMisaligned Redding, CAPosts: 44Member

    Originally posted by Quesa

    You cannot play the Eve trial and get anything out of it.  It's not a game you can jump in and out of, it's something you need to immerse yourself in for a good 6 months before you can even begin to scratch the surface on it's complexities.

    I agree with this. I played EVE for a year and a half and enjoyed it but it's a game that requires a tremendous acquisition of knowledge and decent amount of uninterrupted play-time to properly enjoy, imo.

  • WraithoneWraithone Salt Lake City, UTPosts: 3,592Member Uncommon

    Originally posted by GeeTeeEffOh

    I consistantly hear nothing but praises for EVE. That carries a lot of weight in my book. but 2 things have scared me off.

    (These are based on my limited understanding which I admit migh be lacking)

    1. The way you advance in the game is based on the time you have had an active account so new players coming in will virtually never catch up to where the established baseline is That is, where the average player in eve is in their progress.

    2. Non-Consentual se...Uhhh I mean PVP has always been a deal breaker for me.

    Many people have that preconception.  Beyond a certain point, more skill points just give you more options for load outs (ships and mods). They also make you a bit more effective in their use.  But they are certainly not the I WIN button that many people assume. I spent almost 6 years in EVE. I have a bit more than 43 million skill points. That means I have a LOT of options for ships and mods.

    But since I never PvP'ed (or grouped for that matter) in all of that time, I'd get my CareBear ass handed to me, by someone with PvP experience and a fraction of my total SP's.  So in that sense, its more about experience.

    As for PvP, I spent all of my time in whats known as High Sec (high security space).  I was attacked only about three times in all of that time.  All three times Concord (galactic police) nuked my attackers. In one instance, some nut case in a newbie frig, attacked one of my Rokh battleships...^^ They got insta popped by Concord.  I also never joined any player corps (still a member of SWA), so I can't be war dec'ed.  There is a free trial, so you might want to check the game out.

    I left after almost 6 years, because I disagreed with the direction the game was going after Incursions. Perhaps some day I'll go back for a visit.  But not any time soon, as there are games I'm more interested in coming out. 

  • JayBirdzJayBirdz Clarksville, TNPosts: 1,017Member

    Originally posted by Wraithone

    Originally posted by GeeTeeEffOh

    I consistantly hear nothing but praises for EVE. That carries a lot of weight in my book. but 2 things have scared me off.

    (These are based on my limited understanding which I admit migh be lacking)

    1. The way you advance in the game is based on the time you have had an active account so new players coming in will virtually never catch up to where the established baseline is That is, where the average player in eve is in their progress.

    2. Non-Consentual se...Uhhh I mean PVP has always been a deal breaker for me.

    Many people have that preconception.  Beyond a certain point, more skill points just give you more options for load outs (ships and mods). They also make you a bit more effective in their use.  But they are certainly not the I WIN button that many people assume. I spent almost 6 years in EVE. I have a bit more than 43 million skill points. That means I have a LOT of options for ships and mods.

    But since I never PvP'ed (or grouped for that matter) in all of that time, I'd get my CareBear ass handed to me, by someone with PvP experience and a fraction of my total SP's.  So in that sense, its more about experience.

    As for PvP, I spent all of my time in whats known as High Sec (high security space).  I was attacked only about three times in all of that time.  All three times Concord (galactic police) nuked my attackers. In one instance, some nut case in a newbie frig, attacked one of my Rokh battleships...^^ They got insta popped by Concord.  I also never joined any player corps (still a member of SWA), so I can't be war dec'ed.  There is a free trial, so you might want to check the game out.

    I left after almost 6 years, because I disagreed with the direction the game was going after Incursions. Perhaps some day I'll go back for a visit.  But not any time soon, as there are games I'm more interested in coming out. 

    Training level five in those ten and five percent skill gains are just as much the difference between failure and success as anything else.

    They can mean the difference between:

    breaking a tank or not,

    being cap stable or not,

    fitting your ship or not fitting it,

    having a tank that will or will not break,

    being able to out maneuver your opponent or not,

     a successful gank or a failed gank,

    and on and on and on....

     

  • WraithoneWraithone Salt Lake City, UTPosts: 3,592Member Uncommon

    Originally posted by JayBirdz

    Originally posted by Wraithone


    Originally posted by GeeTeeEffOh

    I consistantly hear nothing but praises for EVE. That carries a lot of weight in my book. but 2 things have scared me off.

    (These are based on my limited understanding which I admit migh be lacking)

    1. The way you advance in the game is based on the time you have had an active account so new players coming in will virtually never catch up to where the established baseline is That is, where the average player in eve is in their progress.

    2. Non-Consentual se...Uhhh I mean PVP has always been a deal breaker for me.

    Many people have that preconception.  Beyond a certain point, more skill points just give you more options for load outs (ships and mods). They also make you a bit more effective in their use.  But they are certainly not the I WIN button that many people assume. I spent almost 6 years in EVE. I have a bit more than 43 million skill points. That means I have a LOT of options for ships and mods.

    But since I never PvP'ed (or grouped for that matter) in all of that time, I'd get my CareBear ass handed to me, by someone with PvP experience and a fraction of my total SP's.  So in that sense, its more about experience.

    As for PvP, I spent all of my time in whats known as High Sec (high security space).  I was attacked only about three times in all of that time.  All three times Concord (galactic police) nuked my attackers. In one instance, some nut case in a newbie frig, attacked one of my Rokh battleships...^^ They got insta popped by Concord.  I also never joined any player corps (still a member of SWA), so I can't be war dec'ed.  There is a free trial, so you might want to check the game out.

    I left after almost 6 years, because I disagreed with the direction the game was going after Incursions. Perhaps some day I'll go back for a visit.  But not any time soon, as there are games I'm more interested in coming out. 

    Training level five in those ten and five percent skill gains are just as much the difference between failure and success as anything else.

    They can mean the difference between:

    breaking a tank or not,

    being cap stable or not,

    fitting your ship or not fitting it,

    having a tank that will or will not break,

    being able to out maneuver your opponent or not,

     a successful gank or a failed gank,

    and on and on and on....

     

    They could be. If *experience* is equal. Other wise, they are simply additional options.  I didn't say that they made no difference. I said they aren't the I WIN button that many people believe them to be.  EVE is what any given player makes it for themselves. Granted it has a steep learning curve (more like a learning wall), but as with many such things it has its entertaining aspects for different people. 

  • GdemamiGdemami Beau VallonPosts: 7,863Member Uncommon


    Originally posted by JayBirdzTraining level five in those ten and five percent skill gains are just as much the difference between failure and success as anything else.They can mean the difference between:
    breaking a tank or not,
    being cap stable or not,
    fitting your ship or not fitting it,
    having a tank that will or will not break,
    being able to out maneuver your opponent or not,
    a successful gank or a failed gank,
    and on and on and on....

    This is would be true only if pilots were AFK in whole engagement.


    While EVE combat seems static and number crunching only, it is not(PVP). There is a huge deal of player skill and tactics that renders those 5% differences quite unimportant.

    No one is saying that there is no difference at all, but taking into account whole combat mechanics, it is just a minor factor.


    I guess this is a prejudice from other games where gear and stats have severe impact on engagement outcome but EVE does not work like that.

  • wrightstufwrightstuf Carlsbad, CAPosts: 655Member Uncommon

     Eve reminds me of the movie.."2001: A Space Odyssey"...I tried 3 times to watch it and i fell asleep in the middle of it each time.

  • GetzMangoGetzMango CT USAPosts: 178Member Uncommon

    Eve does require an attention span, something that is in short supply these days.

    Every MMORPG is AWESOME, until it's released!
    I don't want a game so much as I want a WORLD!
    --
    o·pin·ion –noun
    1. a belief or judgment that rests on grounds insufficient to produce complete certainty.
    2. a personal view, attitude, or appraisal.

  • JayBirdzJayBirdz Clarksville, TNPosts: 1,017Member

    Originally posted by Gdemami

     




    Originally posted by JayBirdz



    Training level five in those ten and five percent skill gains are just as much the difference between failure and success as anything else.

     

    They can mean the difference between:

    breaking a tank or not,

    being cap stable or not,

    fitting your ship or not fitting it,

    having a tank that will or will not break,

    being able to out maneuver your opponent or not,

    a successful gank or a failed gank,

    and on and on and on....

     



     

    This is would be true if you both pilots were AFK in whole engagement.



    While EVE combat seems static and number crunching only, it is not(PVP). There is a huge deal of player skill and tactics that renders those 5% differences quite unimportant.

     

    No one is saying that there is no difference at all, but taking into account whole combat mechanics, it is just a negligable factor.



    I guess this is a prejudice from other games where gear and stats have severe impact on engagement outcome but EVE does not work like that.

     

    No, people down play getting the skills (for what one is flying) to level five all the time.  One of the few times not having solid skills wouldn't really matter is blobs. Also the last level of the two percent skills usually aren't worth it unless they are the last thing to train in a pilot's skill plan, or a requirement. 

    Some of what I listed can be broken down into a lot of sub categories.  "Those not so important five and ten percent skills everyone keeps down playing."

    Maneuvering:

    Not fast enough to tackle,

    get in optimal,

    to keep range,

    not good enough agility to keep a good orbit,

    align,

     

    DPS: 

    Sig to small to hit for full damage?

    don't have the weapon range, 

    can't track,

    not a high enough rate of fire?

    The reason people say to specialize is exactly because of how important most skills are.  Knowledge means jack if you don't have the skills to make your ship effective enough.   They aren't the only deciding factor but they are just as important as anything else.    

      

    So which is it?  Either it is or it isn't  important to specialize. Wish some Eve players would make up their minds.

  • GdemamiGdemami Beau VallonPosts: 7,863Member Uncommon


    Originally posted by JayBirdz

    No, people down play getting the skills (for what one is flying) to level five all the time. 

    They do not down play it, that is how game works. You are only theory crafting based on assumptions you make about game mechanics...

    ie. Maneuvering is fully dependent on your piloting skills and missing 5% here and there is minor.


    Vast majority of vets do not have most skills at 5 because it just take too long and they rather have lvl 4 of something else instead - they usually cross-train or train some other ship rather than max out their current skills for absolute specialization.


    As said, lvl 5 skills are very minor factor and most ppl you meet do not have those skills trained to 5. That is something you do when you have nothing else to train...


    Just give the game try and learn for yourself, instead of this silly theory crafting.

  • lykkenlykken OsloPosts: 97Member

    One thing you can do very easy, and is very usfull in pvp is to make a "hound " (Stealth bomber) the skill you need to use the bomb deployment  is 4, no need for 5, and the ship skill, + cloak. 

    1-2 mounths you can be better than any vet, and stealth bombers fleets are fun, and is very often used in pvp. 

    After that, you can go for the "Torpedo skill "  since the ship also gives out Torpedo Bonus. 

    - If you dont do PVP, go for a Drake, that is  the Best pve ship out there as a noob ship, But also a a-ok pvp ship. 

     

  • GeeTeeEffOhGeeTeeEffOh Newington, CTPosts: 731Member

    OK, so I bit.

    I am testing the 14 day trial now.

    Hehe, just getting my feet wet and it's daunting to sy the least, but so far, I have to say, this game looks incredible.

  • VonatarVonatar PraguePosts: 672Member Uncommon

    I loved EVE. But the bitchy elitist asshats kinda ruined it for me in the end.  My fault for paying attention, but I'm human.

  • LoktofeitLoktofeit Stone Mountain, GAPosts: 13,659Member Uncommon

    Originally posted by GeeTeeEffOh

    OK, so I bit.

    I am testing the 14 day trial now.

    Hehe, just getting my feet wet and it's daunting to sy the least, but so far, I have to say, this game looks incredible.

    Some videos to help you get started:

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aI4VkO6qr0U

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RBfEVd3bbf4

    and some player organizations who like to help out:

    http://wiki.eveonline.com/en/wiki/Educational_organizations

     

    There isn't a "right" or "wrong" way to play, if you want to use a screwdriver to put nails into wood, have at it, simply don't complain when the guy next to you with the hammer is doing it much better and easier. - Allein
    "Graphics are often supplied by Engines that (some) MMORPG's are built in" - Spuffyre

  • Sora2810Sora2810 New Columbia, PAPosts: 567Member

    Originally posted by Quesa

    You cannot play the Eve trial and get anything out of it.  It's not a game you can jump in and out of, it's something you need to immerse yourself in for a good 6 months before you can even begin to scratch the surface on it's complexities.

    Not true; during the trial, I had a blast. Which is why it earned my sub. EVE is one of those few games left that I actually play how I want to play.

    Played - M59, EQOA, EQ, EQ2, PS, SWG[Favorite], DAoC, UO, RS, MXO, CoH/CoV, TR, FFXI, FoM, WoW, Eve, Rift, SWTOR, TSW.
    Playing - PS2, AoW, GW2

2»
Sign In or Register to comment.