Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

MechWarrior Online: GDC 2012 Gameplay Trailer

Comments

• LentechLentech Member Posts: 119

This is the video they should have posted imo.. explains ALOT... After watching this video, i am quiet excited for this game. especially with what he has to say about the Scout mechs

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LbC7w9SN3oE&feature=player_embedded#!

• weslubowweslubow Member UncommonPosts: 163

Looks pretty good. Now show us the rest of the game.

• Asuran24Asuran24 Member Posts: 517

Originally posted by VassagoMael

Originally posted by Falcomith

Originally posted by Lentech

the combat was so slow it appeared they were traveling backwards in time....

Perphaps this is the start to the invention of a real time machine..?

Depends on the type of machine you are driving. Heavy armor/heavy weapon Mechs will be slower then the smaller lighter Mechs.

Think of it this way. Heavy Mech is the tank while the smaller mech is your DPS.

There is no such thing as a "tank" or "dps" in MechWarrior as it is a pvp game and there is no such thing as "aggro".

It all depends on what you determine the duties such as dps, and tanking really, as you can still have a tanker without a need to hld aggro persay. For instance if you outfit a mech in heavy armor plating/shielding, as well as many powerful hitting yet slow to fire weapons systems. This type of mech would be used to get the attention of targets by using it's powerful weaponry, while using it's shieldes/armoring to mitigate the large amount of focus fire that gets drawn to it. After the tanker has drawn the attention of the mechs, then the quick scout/light units would go into use hit and run tactics on the distracted mechs, and when they would place their focus on the scout units the tanker would unload several high powered hit on them to draw attention back.

I always wanted to see more of a Armored core style of mech game for style, and also set into that universe setting. I mean the corpurations that basically largely run the universe in most of the series, the small groups, and unknown entities could amek for some interesting pvp as well as pve content over all. Though i have always refered the more streamlined, as well as futuristic style of mechs in such series as armored core, and front mission over the more realistic style of games like mechwarrior/assualt. Even a macross/robotech style of mmo with how varied the factions were, and how defined alot of the mech designs were between the factions.

• SunwolfNCSunwolfNC Member UncommonPosts: 188

Wow - that looked....remarkably just like multiplayer on Mech4.

/pass.

I would love eto see a kind of concept that you get listings of jobs/quests/contracts in game that could range from repelling assualts on a base or seatlement to infiltration missions as well. I would lvoe to see somethign like a mission creation system so that players could create/submit a mission concept or design, and then have it be placced into the game after it is determined to be worth using (such as not being terribly diffiuclt, or easy, and also well as reasonable rewards in it for the mission type or diffiuclty. Where having thegame open world it would be strange in many ways, since outside of open world pvp skermishes what use would there be. Personally i would love to have pvp matches that you know nothign of what you oppnent has both skill wise, weaponry, and even identification wise to give that feel of being ambushed in the open world and the adrenaline. 

With out populating the world with massive creatures and/or mechs to fight the world would seem barren, Even adding gathering nods/sites, investagation sites, bases, and what not you would have little reason outside of quicker travel to use a mech till you arrived. So in some ways i think a more instanced style of play might not be as bad for a mech-based game like this, unless they could find a good way to mesh the inside-mech as well as outside-mech play well.  Things like investagating areas or locals that your mech can not fit into, or progressing the story/events in the game. THe other thing is that what would quests/missions and such be used for in game? I would think that largely a level based aproutch would not fit well into this type of mech, but a rep system that you gain from doing missions or such with give you access to more of their product increasing your availible equipment t use.

• Mors.MagneMors.Magne Member UncommonPosts: 1,549

This looks better than Perpetuum (1st person is a bit more exciting). I'm looking forward to further gameplay videos.

• UnlightUnlight Member Posts: 2,540

Oooh, shiny!

• UnshraUnshra Member UncommonPosts: 381

My only issue with what's shown in the video is that the UI is not integrated into the cockpit, I find it very distracting to have a UI that's perfectly still while the cockpit is getting slammed and shaking it just kills the immersion for me. Oh well maybe someone will make Steel Battalion Online controllers and all. :P

Because flying a Minmatar ship is like going down a flight of stairs on an office chair while firing an Uzi.

• BanegrivmBanegrivm Member UncommonPosts: 262

They said at one point that they will be adding planetary control. That just sounds awesome! I can't wait to give this game a try. Can you imagine fighting for planets? How awesome will that be. Hopefully they will add a full blown war element to it like they did in the original Multi-Player Battletech game from GEnie. That would be awesome!

Banegrivm
    Leader of the 1st Fist of Light
    www.1stfistoflight.com

• EduardoASGEduardoASG Member Posts: 832

looks awesome man. Cannt wait to get into one of those mech cockpits again.

Aion, AoC, AC, AO, DDO, Eve, Eq2, GW, MW3, L1&2, RF, RIFT, SWG, SWTOR, TR, UO, WOW, WAR
  • rtekerrteker Member Posts: 11

I want my mech...

• finnmacool1finnmacool1 Member Posts: 453

looks pretty badass to me...

• austriacusaustriacus Member UncommonPosts: 618

Ugh the combat looks so slow......i think armored core ruined me for mechwarrior. Thankfully there is hawken.

• JakdstripperJakdstripper Member RarePosts: 2,410

that looks pretty damn fun. hopofully they launch the game in a finished state 

• ChicagoCubChicagoCub Member UncommonPosts: 381

wait..that's PvP?  How am I supposed to jump around and spam hotkeys like freakin' meth-head when I'm in a mech?

• JakdstripperJakdstripper Member RarePosts: 2,410

Originally posted by ChicagoCub

wait..that's PvP?  How am I supposed to jump around and spam hotkeys like freakin' meth-head when I'm in a mech?

...with a wireless keyboard duck taped to your hands?...

• pmaurapmaura Member UncommonPosts: 530

so glad this is nothing like armored core. armored core is nothing more then a straight up FPS reskinned.

• GravargGravarg Member UncommonPosts: 3,424

For those thinking it was too slow, the mech he's using and the large mechs he's attacking are the heavy mechs, they're slow with lots of armor and health.  In one spot you see a little mech run in front of him shooting at his target.   Anyone who's played a mechwarrior game knows this :)

You can be fast moving, nimble, light-armed scout, all the way to super heavy, "I'm gonna blow you up with masses of missles", "you can't hurt me silly" mechs.  It's a matter of preference.

• joonkp1976joonkp1976 Member Posts: 93

ahhhh...  the happyness shiver...  I am one of the oldie players who played mechwarrior since 286 days mechwarrior 2 : netmech being my favorite.  Kick ass video and the game looks simply fantastic~!  Keep up the good work developers and good gaming, people~!!!

"quote

For those thinking it was too slow, the mech he's using and the large mechs he's attacking are the heavy mechs, they're slow with lots of armor and health. In one spot you see a little mech run in front of him shooting at his target. Anyone who's played a mechwarrior game knows this :)

You can be fast moving, nimble, light-armed scout, all the way to super heavy, "I'm gonna blow you up with masses of missles", "you can't hurt me silly" mechs. It's a matter of preference. 

quote"

Yeah no kidding  but in the mechwarrior 2 days jetting was fantastic  but in 3 and 4 the jetting got lame  If this game at this graphics quality the jetting was to be saved like in mechwarrior 2, then this game gets a dollar from me~!

Second thought...  Seems that the jetting will only be a jump not all directional like in mechwarrior 2 days but still the graphics just blows me away...  Great great great great great game coming and I am exited at this very much~!

Originally posted by pmaura

so glad this is nothing like armored core. armored core is nothing more then a straight up FPS reskinned.

How in the world can you even place armored core into the same genre as fps games? Most of the appeal of Armored core was how you could costumize you mech from it's paint job, to the weaponry, and even design of your mech by mix-matching parts to build you mech from. Largely both of armored core as well as mechwarrior used the point of view set-ups (i preferd the first person view with impact enable. So that your screen would actually reflect impacts of fire from enemy units.). THe largest difference betwen the two would be the sheer speed of combat, as well as mech designs (A.C. was far more futuristic in design and appeal, while Mechwarrior was more realistic in design.).. The only true non-fps style of mech game in my view is the tactical turn based mech game front line, whcih has both furturistic and more realistic styled mech designs in it.

Originally posted by Asuran24

How in the world can you even place armored core into the same genre as fps games? Most of the appeal of Armored core was how you could costumize you mech from it's paint job, to the weaponry, and even design of your mech by mix-matching parts to build you mech from. Largely both of armored core as well as mechwarrior used the point of view set-ups (i preferd the first person view with impact enable. So that your screen would actually reflect impacts of fire from enemy units.). THe largest difference betwen the two would be the sheer speed of combat, as well as mech designs (A.C. was far more futuristic in design and appeal, while Mechwarrior was more realistic in design.).. The only true non-fps style of mech game in my view is the tactical turn based mech game front line, whcih has both furturistic and more realistic styled mech designs in it.

You see people...  The difference is computer simulation and console action genre games these two are.  I mean I prefer computer simulation with mouse control far over the console with the pads.  But like super nes had, if consoles developed mouse and/or keyboard control schemes I think many more would suffice with consoles but then that would shift players from computers to consoles.  Everyone is in it for the dollars and everyone is in one way or another affiliated so more sales overall and more money overall would be the motto thus the consoles and mere pad control games exist...

• Laughing-manLaughing-man Member RarePosts: 3,654

Looks exactly like every single player mech warrior game ever made, only online, as I would expect. 

Rather interested, I love Mechwarrior, best mech series of all time.

Slow Combat?  Don't think you guys played Mechwarrior, as this appears to be the exact same combat, which was perfect and I'm sure will be perfect again.

Originally posted by joonkp1976

You see people...  The difference is computer simulation and console action genre games these two are.  I mean I prefer computer simulation with mouse control far over the console with the pads.  But like super nes had, if consoles developed mouse and/or keyboard control schemes I think many more would suffice with consoles but then that would shift players from computers to consoles.  Everyone is in it for the dollars and everyone is in one way or another affiliated so more sales overall and more money overall would be the motto thus the consoles and mere pad control games exist...

The controls weither it be pad or mouse-keyboard not as much an issue for me, so long as the customization is there, as well as the playstyle i prefer (i like more of a medium weight build over the tanker or light weight models.). Other then the armored core series i enjoyed playing the arcade style mech games where you had a pair of joy-sticks to control the movement of your mech via, and i hated that both comp as well as console games never really used this set-ups.

Originally posted by joonkp1976

The controls weither it be pad or mouse-keyboard not as much an issue for me, so long as the customization is there, as well as the playstyle i prefer (i like more of a medium weight build over the tanker or light weight models.). Other then the armored core series i enjoyed playing the arcade style mech games where you had a pair of joy-sticks to control the movement of your mech via, and i hated that both comp as well as console games never really used this set-ups.

awww...  right on there, dude...  and I said nothing about arcade 2 stick control scheme though...  cheers and good gaming, people~!