Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

I am shocked

Comments

• HopfrogHopfrog Member Posts: 90

Originally posted by Isaralas

Anet has proven they don't give a crap about how much money they make

I agree with the Anet model and hope that no monthly fees is a big part of its success so we can see it become a standard over F2P and Monthly fees... but I think your statement is rather....ummmm... optimistic

• nomssnomss Member UncommonPosts: 1,468

I'd be pissed if CE was getting a head start of 7 or so days. But, yea the price does not bother me. I would be bothered if the regular edition went more than $60.

• DarkPonyDarkPony Member Posts: 5,566

Originally posted by Isaralas

they arn't trying to milk you. :|

They all try to milk us. Also Anet. Just in different ways. It's not a charity. (Even though some people seem to ascribe them almost religious properties).

• KingJigglyKingJiggly Member Posts: 777

Business seek to make profit. That is profitable. They aren't using you or abusing you. Atleast you dont have to p[ay 15 dollars a month for the rest of your life for it. Completely reasonable.

• RizelStarRizelStar Member UncommonPosts: 2,773

It's as if Skyrim,COD,Kingdom(Something with cards and ish), Halo, and the list goes on, never existed.

I might get banned for this. - Rizel Star.

I'm not afraid to tell trolls what they [need] to hear, even if that means for me to have an forced absence afterwards.

P2P LOGIC = If it's P2P it means longevity, overall better game, and THE BEST SUPPORT EVER!!!!!(Which has been rinsed and repeated about a thousand times)

Common Sense Logic = P2P logic is no better than F2P Logic.

• Master10KMaster10K Member Posts: 3,065

I could careless about the $150 price for the CE. It's the £130 UK price that pisses me off. It simply doesn't add up; it should be £100 and then I'd be willing to get it, but us Europeans always get the short end of the stick. I'm hoping that some online retailer tries to sell it cheaper. Heck, I can order the TERA CE for just £50 if I want.

• BadSpockBadSpock Member UncommonPosts: 7,979

I'd be shocked if the box price was more than 60$ because it is a AAA MMO without a sub fee.

But it's not, so I'm not.

Going to (hopefully) be one of the best deals in MMO gaming.

Just like GW1 was/is (even though it was never my cup of tea)

I don't even want to think how much money I've spent on MMO subscription fees over the past 12 years. Yikes.

• nyxiumnyxium Member UncommonPosts: 1,345

On the bright side, no sub.

• fivorothfivoroth Member UncommonPosts: 3,916

I always thought that people who bought CE were not all there. To me none of the stuff in a CE of a game is worth it. But a lot of people like it and they are willing to pay for it. No offence but I always thought that collecting game figurines, posters etc. is super geeky. Standard edition for me :D

Mission in life: Vanquish all MMORPG.com trolls - especially TESO, WOW and GW2 trolls.

• FalcomithFalcomith Member UncommonPosts: 830

Originally posted by fivoroth

I always thought that people who bought CE were not all there. To me none of the stuff in a CE of a game is worth it. But a lot of people like it and they are willing to pay for it. No offence but I always thought that collecting game figurines, posters etc. is super geeky. Standard edition for me :D

haha. And people who play MMORPGs are not super geeky? And no I didnt take offense to your statement. It just made me laugh.

• Eir_SEir_S Member UncommonPosts: 4,440

My best friend is getting the CE, he doesn't care about the price.  It's standard edition for me though.  The extra price tag is almost all frills, if people want to pay that much it's up to them, I'd only be disappointed if it gave lots of in-game advantages.  ANet is just making their money back.

• andre369andre369 Member UncommonPosts: 970

So don't buy it? If you don't find the CE worth your money no one is forcing you to buy it. I would rather have the option of a good CE that GW2 seems to provide than a 100 dollar one with only a poster, CD and a artbook. 

In this one you get a figurine which are quite expensive to produce so what do you expect?

You also get 112 pages of "The making of GW2" if I remember correctly. 

The thing that worries me is the actual ingame benefits of pre ordering any of the three. Is this buff on in PvP? If so, what happened to equal playing fields. 

• Jimmy562Jimmy562 Member UncommonPosts: 1,158

Originally posted by Master10K

I could careless about the $150 price for the CE. It's the £130 UK price that pisses me off. It simply doesn't add up; it should be £100 and then I'd be willing to get it, but us Europeans always get the short end of the stick. I'm hoping that some online retailer tries to sell it cheaper. Heck, I can order the TERA CE for just £50 if I want.

TERA CE is £40 on amazon.

I agree though. I think $150 is reasonable for the contents but £130 is silly. Normal games are priced around the correct values for pound and dollars yet these CE's lately are taking the piss.

• KabaalKabaal Member UncommonPosts: 3,042

That's why i asked earlier if it includes their sales tax. I believe most store prices over there don't include it in the advertised price whereas ours do. Even if it doesn't then it's still a silly difference in price as their tax is only 3 to 10% ish depending on the state.

I'd never pay those kinda prices for a CE but it goes to show we must be mugs here in the UK.

• FalcomithFalcomith Member UncommonPosts: 830

Originally posted by andre369

The thing that worries me is the actual ingame benefits of pre ordering any of the three. Is this buff on in PvP? If so, what happened to equal playing fields. 

Its only a +2 to all stats with the arm band. Not a big advantage at all.

• slicknslim88slicknslim88 Member Posts: 394

I agree with what everybody else has to say about this.  If you don't like that price, just buy the standard edition.  What I think is incredibly impressive of Anet is that pre-purchasing any one of the three kinds of the game (standard, deluxe, collectors) gets you guaranteed access to the upcoming betas.  Anet could just as easily said that ONLY collectors edition pre purchases would get that bonus.

I'm sorry did I read that correctly?  Did the OP say that Anet was "ripping off" their customers?  Wow...I guess that's why they aren't charging a monthly fee for this game right? 

Honestly people, if you buy the Collectors edition for 150 dollars, and play it for a year.  That is STILL cheaper than buying the standard edition of Tera and playing it for a year.  150 dollars is NOT a lot of money for a game that isn't charging a monthly fee.

It's "shocking" that the OP thinks that this is "shocking".  Use your brain, Anet needs to get money somehow, giving away all that sweet swag in the C edition is awsome too.

• frestonfreston Member UncommonPosts: 503

If some people willing to pay 150 bucks for a glorified paperweight is part of the reason the rest of us mortals can get an AAA title B2P (something unthinkable of a few years ago), i hope the next CE goes for 1500 bucks and features a real Rytlock clone for all i care.

(if the clone is of the norn chick, i may actually consider buying it too)

• Master10KMaster10K Member Posts: 3,065

Originally posted by Jimmy562

TERA CE is £40 on amazon.

I agree though. I think $150 is reasonable for the contents but £130 is silly. Normal games are priced around the correct values for pound and dollars yet these CE's lately are taking the piss.

Yeah, the game simply isn't worth £130. That's why I'm thinking of getting the standard edition and then using the extra £50 on the cash shop, when I need the character slots and such (they certainly won't give us 8 character slots).

• ShojuShoju Member UncommonPosts: 776

Originally posted by Lord.Bachus

I think its a good example of a company trying to rip off their loyal fanbase.

I fail to see how are they ripping people off? 

• sacredfoolsacredfool Member UncommonPosts: 849

Originally posted by lakoka

"A guy that smokes cigarettes for 3 year with 2 packs at 5$ per week = 12 * 3 * 5 * 2 = 360 (and here in Canada its 8$)"

Problem with money? Bye

No problem with the money, but your math (or rather calendar reading) skills suck. You forgot to multiply it by 4, which does make the answer quite different.

Originally posted by nethaniah

Seriously Farmville? Yeah I think it's great. In a World where half our population is dying of hunger the more fortunate half is spending their time harvesting food that doesn't exist.

• sidhaethesidhaethe Member Posts: 861

Yeah, I think it's totally outrageous that NCSoft are charging $150 for just the box price of their new game, when other games are only $60 for their standard editions!

...what was that...? The $150 is not for the standard edition? Oh, that's because they're not offering a standard edition, right? you can only buy the Collector's Edition at that exhorbitant price and that's totally unreasonab--

...sorry, what was that again? There IS a standard edition available? And it's $60 like many other boxed versions of games?

Hmm.

• LobotomistLobotomist Member EpicPosts: 5,965

Its 150$ because of the statue.

And it looks good, at least int he pictures.

I kind of wanted digital deluxe version because of the banker golem, but then i realised its only 5 days worth.

Deal breaker for me.

Still, i am preordering regular version.

I know i will buy the game no mater what. And spot in beta + early acess , why not...

• ComfyChairComfyChair Member Posts: 758

When i get a good idea of UK prices (tomorrow) i'll decide between standard and deluxe :) deluxe will be useful for my guild (can get storage up ASAP, or get some emblems on our armor) and the mini pet would be nice :D

I would have liked the soundtrack though :(

Ah well, there's ways and means to get the soundtrack seperately, i assume itunes would have it.

• SiderasSideras Member Posts: 231

Honestly, what the ****. There's been collectors editions for almost every MMO to date. 

Soundtrack, figurine, artbook, and art with a frame, a nice tin box. Why is this ripping anyone off? I want this, I like artwork I like the soundtrack, what's the problem? it's a collectors edition for a reason.

This has got to be the dumbest complaint ever especially coming in 2012 when all big releases are expected to have a collectors edition. Look at Skyrim and SWToR, their editions where pretty expensive too.

And "ripping off", wow, remember when MMO required you to pay for them every month!? Oh wait...

Honestly if you don't want the stuff or can't afford it, there is a normal edition. It's not like they are pushing you into a corner or anything with a knife at your throat.

• Methos12Methos12 Member UncommonPosts: 1,244

Originally posted by Lord.Bachus
    Been wondering all day, am i the only one shocked about the $150 they are asking for their collectors edition?

And i am even more shocked that there are people willing to pay that for stuff that ends in the trashbin sooner or later.

I think its a good example of a company trying to rip off their loyal fanbase. Following in the footsteps of EA's pricing scheme for the SWTOR boxes is not a good thing.

If they continue down this road, with their itemshop we might be in for a sad and shattered dream.

No, but then again you're probably not the target audience for CE and neither am I. Collectors love this stuff precisely because it has stuff that you can visibly collect, like statues and whatnot. It's made for them and they'll generally pay the amount necessary to get it.
    Civilized men are more discourteous than savages because they know they can be impolite without having their skulls split, as a general thing.