Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

I am shocked

Lord.BachusLord.Bachus Member RarePosts: 9,686

Been wondering all day, am i the only one shocked about the $150 they are asking for their collectors edition?

And i am even more shocked that there are people willing to pay that for stuff that ends in the trashbin sooner or later.

I think its a good example of a company trying to rip off their loyal fanbase. Following in the footsteps of EA's pricing scheme for the SWTOR boxes is not a good thing.

If they continue down this road, with their itemshop we might be in for a sad and shattered dream.

Best MMO experiences : EQ(PvE), DAoC(PvP), WoW(total package) LOTRO (worldfeel) GW2 (Artstyle and animations and worlddesign) SWTOR (Story immersion) TSW (story) ESO (character advancement)

Comments

• FalcomithFalcomith Member UncommonPosts: 830

Originally posted by Lord.Bachus

Been wondering all day, am i the only one shocked about the $150 they are asking for their collectors edition?

And i am even more shocked that there are people willing to pay that for stuff that ends in the trashbin sooner or later.

I think its a good example of a company trying to rip off their loyal fanbase. Following in the footsteps of EA's pricing scheme for the SWTOR boxes is not a good thing.

If they continue down this road, with their itemshop we might be in for a sad and shattered dream.

You do realize those statues retail for $75 to $90.

• DarkPonyDarkPony Member Posts: 5,566

And I be appalled!

Meh. It's up to anyone's own wallet, really.

I was kind of bummed when Swtor pulled the same trick and I am really glad I didn't cave in to buying the CE in hindsight, but at least GW2 won't take15 bucks out of your account each month in addition. Still it's kind of abusive .... poor fans :P

Personally I learned my lesson and won't jump on pre-purchase trains no longer. Especially not before a game has endured some solid player scrutiny (i.e. up to and including "end game") and before an NDA drop.

• VassagoMaelVassagoMael Member Posts: 555

$150 is the standard for just about ever CE these days. The people who are willing to buy it don't throw the stuff away either, well maybe their kids do when they die, who am I kidding mmo gamers can't have children! It's not for me, but I will be getting the deluxe, I dont need any more game clutter. My Megathron model takes up enough room :D

Free to play = content updates for the cash shop. Buy to play = content updates for the cash shop.
    Subscription = Actual content updates!

• GotterdammerGotterdammer Member Posts: 36

How is offering something as an option ripping anyone off? If it were the ONLY version, then yes, I'd agree. It's not though, so I think you're just trying to find controversy where none exists.

• Superduper69Superduper69 Member Posts: 363

Wait till the excuses like..... but it is B2P!!

• KabaalKabaal Member UncommonPosts: 3,042

$150, is that including your tax over there? It's £130 here which is around $205.

I'm not surprised though as its becoming pretty standard for colectors editions. All I can say is thank god i've zero interest in all these mini statues that seem to cost so much.

• BTrayaLBTrayaL Member UncommonPosts: 624

I would understand you being shocked if the regular box was priced at $150. Is there anyone MAKING you buy the CE?

That's why it's called CE in the first place.

• ZekiahZekiah Member UncommonPosts: 2,483

Shocked? No. Disappointed yes, but not shocked. You can expect this trend to continue and we'll most likely see a $199 CE in the next 2-3 years.

"Censorship is never over for those who have experienced it. It is a brand on the imagination that affects the individual who has suffered it, forever." - Noam Chomsky

• NaqajNaqaj Member UncommonPosts: 1,673

The price fits the content, so shocked isn't quite the right word. I would have very much prefered a CE without a pointless statue so that it costs less than 100 bucks, but I'm not going to get one, so it's going to be the standard box for me.

• KuppaKuppa Member UncommonPosts: 3,292

It could be 1,500 for all care. Its just another option if you want you buy it if you dont you dont....

• st4t1ckst4t1ck Member UncommonPosts: 768

How are thy trying to rip you off... is that the only version of the game for sale?  i do agree that its too much for me to buy it but i dont see it as a rip off.  if you want it get it. if you dont guess what.... dont

• jondifooljondifool Member UncommonPosts: 1,143

I had just hope that ArenaNets famous innovation had extended to the collectors edition. But sadly no.

I kind of find it a missed opportunity. But then ok it makes it easy to say pass to CE, that it really don't bring alot to the table I look forward too.

• frogtownfrogtown Member UncommonPosts: 59

I'm shocked that the hokey pokey really isn't what it's all about.

• DecoyTrooperDecoyTrooper Member Posts: 239

The rest of the CE except the soundtrack is rubish imo.

• evolver1972evolver1972 Member Posts: 1,118

Originally posted by Gotterdammer

How is offering something as an option ripping anyone off? If it were the ONLY version, then yes, I'd agree. It's not though, so I think you're just trying to find controversy where none exists.

+10

The CE is one option of 4....You can buy just the game for the same price as most other games nowadays.  You can buy the Deluxe version for a little more with some goodies.  You can dish out for the (IMO) overpriced CE (isn't just about every CE over priced?).  Or you can not buy anything and don't play the game (not an option IMO).

Considering the amount of available choices, I wouldn't call any of it a rip off.

You want me to pay to play a game I already paid for???

Be afraid.....The dragons are HERE!

• HedeonHedeon Member UncommonPosts: 997

Originally posted by Falcomith

which is way overpriced...the whole reason they wouldnt offer a collectors edition choice without it....

• Marcus-Marcus- Member UncommonPosts: 1,010

Shocked?

No. Because people will buy it.

I'm definetly not one of those people, as the fluff stuff it has really doesn't interest me at all. It seems rather similiar to the TOR CE, and i didnt buy that one either.

I will certainly buy the game though, looks pretty interesting :)

• AvanahAvanah Member RarePosts: 1,615

Newsflash: Once you buy the game it is FREE TO PLAY.

Get over yourselves. The Price they set is justified.

"My Fantasy is having two men at once...

One Cooking and One Cleaning!"

---------------------------

"A good man can make you feel sexy,

strong and able to take on the whole world...

oh sorry...that's wine...wine does that..."

• RizelStarRizelStar Member UncommonPosts: 2,773

Let's keep it up we keep doing it guys, let's start up gogogogogogo!!!!

Food for thought.

Oh and your damn right Super it's cause it's B2P.

I might get banned for this. - Rizel Star.

I'm not afraid to tell trolls what they [need] to hear, even if that means for me to have an forced absence afterwards.

P2P LOGIC = If it's P2P it means longevity, overall better game, and THE BEST SUPPORT EVER!!!!!(Which has been rinsed and repeated about a thousand times)

Common Sense Logic = P2P logic is no better than F2P Logic.

• HopfrogHopfrog Member Posts: 90

Keep in mind that people won't be paying monthly fees, so if diehard fans want to shell out $150 to have a Charr paperweight.. what's the big deal? They also are letting you get in with just the basic digital pre-purchase from what I can tell.

What disturbs me, is that this might be the start of this mmo not breaking the mold, but slowly confoming into the mold. 3 day headstarts, Hero's band stat boosted item.... sigh, noticing a pattern here.  The same pattern that many 'big title' MMOs have been following when they want to cash in from their marketing efforts and not the quality of their product. 

Don't get me wrong, I still have high hopes that GW2 does break the mold and that the product is an outstanding MMO, but seeing them market it the same way that other hotly anticpated titles were and seeing the same over the top press hype as another big name title... cough cough, SWTOR.... does have me getting more and more concerned.

• ScivaSciva Member UncommonPosts: 298

YOU

DONT

HAVE

TO

BUY

IT

If anything Anet has proven they don't give a crap about how much money they make and are commited to making a GOOD GAME, they arn't trying to milk you. :|

• DragonantisDragonantis Member UncommonPosts: 974

Sure I remember years ago people paying a ton of money for the colelctors edition of LOTR with the statue of Minas Tirth.

Fanboys will pay through the nose for stuff like that, and the net aint short of Guild Wars fanboys.

• lakokalakoka Member UncommonPosts: 97

[mod edit]

"A guy that played for 3 years in a conventional MMO at 15$ per month = 12 * 3 * 15 = 540 $"

"A guy that played for 5 years in GW with all expensions paid 25$ per exp + game = 4 * 25 = 100$"

"A guy that smokes cigarettes for 3 year with 2 packs at 5$ per week = 12 * 3 * 5 * 2 = 360 (and here in Canada its 8$)"

Problem with money? Bye

• FalcomithFalcomith Member UncommonPosts: 830

Originally posted by Hedeon

Originally posted by Falcomith

which is way overpriced...the whole reason they wouldnt offer a collectors edition choice without it....

Okay, lets look at SWTOR for a moment. There statue came from the company Gentle Giants. Take a look at the prices  on the Gentle Giant site. http://www.gentlegiantltd.com/Star_Wars_Collectibles_s/1.htm

They also have Gallery Collection Voldemort Statue  that go for $315. So the price really is reasonable considering who they have to get the items from. I dont know if GW2 is getting it from them, but I would assume so.

And then there is pick that other GW2 package if you dont have the money or dont think its worth it.

• skeaserskeaser Member RarePosts: 4,181

Originally posted by Zekiah

Shocked? No. Disappointed yes, but not shocked. You can expect this trend to continue and we'll most likely see a $199 CE in the next 2-3 years.

http://www.gamespot.com/news/eb-games-au-announce-a199-for-call-of-duty-modern-warfare-2-prestige-edition-6233745

Already happened

Sig so that badges don't eat my posts.