Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Fuzzy Avatars Solved! Please re-upload your avatar if it was fuzzy!

Guild Wars 2: Collector's Edition Revealed

1456810

Comments

  • XthosXthos Columbus, OHPosts: 2,628Member

    Originally posted by Nadia

    Originally posted by Shadanwolf

    I cannot remember when I have been happy after 3 months with a new mmog.(SWTOR)being the latest that I felt ripped off. So now...I will be paying the minimum price.And IMO $60 isn't cheap.

    I agree $60.00 is not cheap but its pretty standard for many online games

     

    Diablo3 is expected to cost 60.00 too

    http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00178630A

     Yeah, PC games are all moving towards the 60-65 range, more like console games....Use to be you could pre-order most MMOs for 39.99 somewhere, but I figure they say since console gamers pay $60....PC gamers will too.  I just recently got Skyrim, because the price dropped to $20 heh...Not soley due to price, but the delay on TSW was a motivator too.  Most people are probably not as cheap as me though, I still have the $40 days in my mind too much I guess.

     

  • someforumguysomeforumguy HomePosts: 3,540Member Uncommon

    Lol at people trying to explain the higher prices for Europeans.

    - VAT and shipping costs dont have anything to do with this. If NCSoft ships your 130pounds ($200 lol) costing CE to the UK, you still have to pay additional shipping costs and tax. If you are able to buy it from the European Arenanet store, it makes even less sense having to pay such a high price.

    - It is also quite obvious that it is not about tax. Europe is more then one country and all the euro using countries have their own seperate taxrates.

    NCSoft (like many other companies) just charge europeans more because they think they can. I just feel for some european countries where minimum wages are lower then in the US and on top of that are in the middle of a financial crisis.

    My advice, buy the standard version. Well, except if you REALLY REALLY want the physical items. The digital deluxe edition is a weak deal though with 3 out of 5 items having limited uses.

  • UtukuMoonUtukuMoon ParisPosts: 1,066Member

    I will buy the CE,spent more on a night out in Amnesia in Ibiza,as matter of fact i spend more on a normal night out.

     

     

     

  • BarCrowBarCrow Tampa, FLPosts: 2,212Member

      I bought the SWTOR CE and love the mini-statue. The GW2 Statuette blows it away tho..and I dont even know what it is.... having never played GW1. I will buy this game just not buying the ce. I love how people call the statues "dolls". Come on now, they're collectible statues...not plush or articulated. They dont fit in a playset or a pink plastic convertible. Get over yourselves. How mature of you to shun these "dolls" while slaving hours at a time on your little colorful videogames. I display them proudly on a shelf with my Elric of Melnibone , Sandman,Preacher and Groo the Barbarian statues (just to name a few).

     

  • catplaycatplay MarbellaPosts: 71Member

    I will probable get normal edition, IF will not be more that 40 euro, else i will wait for discount. CE editions items are really crap.. disapointing for a such game.

  • DistopiaDistopia Baltimore, MDPosts: 16,912Member Uncommon

    Originally posted by RizelStar

     

    One question, by the end of the year how much would you have ended up spending on SWTOR?

     

    Yea let's keep bullshitting. Gogogogo!!!

     

    Take care guys y'all be easy.

    What does the sub fee have to do with anything? You can't sit here and create double standards, it's the box fee that is in question here. All this box fee shows is Ncsoft and Anet are no different than Bioware or EA. All of these companies are after the same thing, they all have the same goal.

    The fact is it was illogical when anyone was attacking Bioware for this, while acting as though the case would be any different for any other upcoming game. Most CE's throughtout 2011 were upwards of or close to the 100$ mark. The case will be the same in 2012.

    It doesn't matter who the company is, the AAA industry has standards and most follow them especially in the area of pricing.

    For every minute you are angry , you lose 60 seconds of happiness."-Emerson

    It is a sign of a defeated man, to attack at ones character in the face of logic and reason- Me

  • FreeBooteRFreeBooteR Surrey, BCPosts: 333Member

    It's the standard edition for me. I don't need all that other crap.

    Archlinux ftw

  • TheonenoniTheonenoni Lexington, VAPosts: 279Member

    Why are people crying over the Collector's edition? You can just buy the original $60 game.  There is no long term advantage from getting the collectors edition. That elite skill everyone is crying about can probably be bought in the guildwars 2 cash shop. The elite doesnt make anyone OP over someone who doesnt have it.  All other items you get are one time use and then they are gone forever and cosmetics like the mini rytlock.  Everyone who preorders gets the hero's band no matter what type they buy.

    So buying the collectors edition is an investment into Anet. The physical items you get are really nice. 

     

    This world is a world of haves and have-nots. Life isnt fair and it sucks. 

     

    It could have been worse. Like EA with Mass Effect 3 where DLC should have been in the game but instead they wanted to sell their game for $70 instead of $60.

    -I am here to perform logic

  • someforumguysomeforumguy HomePosts: 3,540Member Uncommon

    Originally posted by Theonenoni

    Why are people crying over the Collector's edition? You can just buy the original $60 game.  There is no long term advantage from getting the collectors edition. That elite skill everyone is crying about can probably be bought in the guildwars 2 cash shop. The elite doesnt make anyone OP over someone who doesnt have it.  All other items you get are one time use and then they are gone forever and cosmetics like the mini rytlock.  Everyone who preorders gets the hero's band no matter what type they buy.

    So buying the collectors edition is an investment into Anet. The physical items you get are really nice. 

     

    This world is a world of haves and have-nots. Life isnt fair and it sucks. 

     

    It could have been worse. Like EA with Mass Effect 3 where DLC should have been in the game but instead they wanted to sell their game for $70 instead of $60.

    Guess NCSoft thinks that Europe only has haves then.

    For Europe mainland it is $71 for standard. $78 for UK.

    CE is $200 for the UK lol. Haves or have-nots, 33% higher price simply sucks no matter what reason.

    And no it is not an investment into Anet. Purchase != investment. Learn the difference please.

  • gaeanprayergaeanprayer Somewhere Out There, PAPosts: 2,320Member Uncommon

    Originally posted by Distopia

    Originally posted by RizelStar


     

    One question, by the end of the year how much would you have ended up spending on SWTOR?

     

    Yea let's keep bullshitting. Gogogogo!!!

     

    Take care guys y'all be easy.

    What does the sub fee have to do with anything? You can't sit here and create double standards, it's the box fee that is in question here. All this box fee shows is Ncsoft and Anet are no different than Bioware or EA. All of these companies are after the same thing, they all have the same goal.

    The fact is it was illogical when anyone was attacking Bioware for this, while acting as though the case would be any different for any other upcoming game. Most CE's throughtout 2011 were upwards of or close to the 100$ mark. The case will be the same in 2012.

    It doesn't matter who the company is, the AAA industry has standards and most follow them especially in the area of pricing.

    The sub fee has everything to do with it. With Anet, there's no sub fee. With SWTOR, there is. In a year of playing SWTOR + Collector's you're paying a hell of a lot more than someone who just bought the Collector's for GW2 and...they own it. That's it. No more money ever. If you stop paying monthly for SWTOR, that money you spent on the Collector's edition is thrown in the trash because now you can't play your game. No such issue with Anet. How you figure that's not part of the equation is beyond me.

    As for Bioware, the Collector's edition of bioware including items that were extremely powerful for the Multiplayer bit. I could point you to threads of elitist bitching on BSN where people with those items feel like they're carrying everyone else, and it's true. People with those items are at a significant advantage. CE GW2 gets you...a ring that gives you +2 to stats (in a game where your stats will be in the many hundreds, so it won't be significant for more than the beginning levels) a miniature pet that's cute but ultimately irrelevant, and beta access + some IRL goodies that once again, are irrelevant, and only great to people that are the most hardcore of the hardcore of fans. But I'm in no way at a disadvantage just because I get the regular edition. I won't...but if I was, I'd be fine (I'll be buying Deluxe)

    "Forums aren't for intelligent discussion; they're for blow-hards with unwavering opinions."

  • gaeanprayergaeanprayer Somewhere Out There, PAPosts: 2,320Member Uncommon

    Originally posted by someforumguy

     

    Guess NCSoft thinks that Europe only has haves then.

    For Europe mainland it is $71 for standard. $78 for UK.

    CE is $200 for the UK lol. Haves or have-nots, 33% higher price simply sucks no matter what reason.

    This, I will give you. I was talking to an friend in EU, and he was saying his CE was 129 but in pounds, that's quite a lot of money. I saw the prices for the normal version as well, they're quite high. I see this for a lot of EU games, and I never understood why this was. I think it's pretty unfair as well.

     

    World needs a global currency.

    "Forums aren't for intelligent discussion; they're for blow-hards with unwavering opinions."

  • gainesvilleggainesvilleg Gainesville, FLPosts: 1,053Member

    Originally posted by RagnorMalak

     




    wait so all preorders get beta access? feels kinda silly signing up for the upcoming beta events in march how many events are there gonna be 1-2 maybe? o and digital-deluxe for me i only want the in game things :) im a bit old for dollies


     

    Not really. Closed Beta starts in March. Pre-orders will be available at april 10th, so pre-order beta access cannot give you access to te beta events in March. My guess is that it will give you access to the open beta weekends that are apparantly coming in april.

     




    Are they serious with these digital deluxe items?  Mouse over them.  They all read as cash shop items to me and if this is the kind of things we get in the cash shop I am a bit worried.

    The most worrisome thing for me is that they are putting an elite skill into this package.  Skills for money is a slippery slope and that is the exact opposite of what they have said in the past...

    A golem that you can use for 5 days... cash shop rental item.  A chalice that gives you PvP points/glory... cash shop pay 2 get PvP points.  A tome that reads as a cash shop item to boost guilds.  Miniatures bleh whatever for some not for some prob cash shop items all fluff and not a problem.

    WTF are they doing rolling a skill into this.  Why are they giving items and probably putting items into the cash shop that reward you with something that you should naturally get from PvP'ing.  I am more than a little concerned....



     

    If you bought Guild Wars 1, you got a similar kind of thing, namely a summoning stone that summoned a fire breathing minion that could help you survive the early levels. I think the elite skill does the same kind of thing. I doubt it will be an OP skill you will use a lot at max level. As for the other items: I don't mind having a gnome-banker in the item shop. It isn't really necessary, it's more of an extra help if you farm a lot of items or havent got a lot of inventory space in the beginning of the game. Due to the teleporting system you can teleport to an outpost that has access to storage pretty quickly anyway so don't think this will be very important to have, only for farmers, as I said. 

    The chalice and tome could be problematic if it would be in the item shop, since buying pvp glory and guild fame would be against anything ANet has said before about skill being the most important factor in winning and gaining fame. Could be a one time item to give players a head start in gaining some guild and pvp functionalities. Guess we will have to wait for a clarifaction from ANet about this.

    There are a lot of assumptions and ifs in there.  Just one more nail in the coffin for me as this has, if not pay-to-win written all over it, a small step in that direction.  But full disclosure, I have decided within the last couple weeks I will not be playing GW2 at launch after all.  So brand me a troll if you like, but there are lots of things I'm learning that I just don't like about GW2.  And why I much prefer a monthly fee model with vanity-only cash shop.  Slipperly slope to allow purchase of things that "make things easier."

    I do think the GW2 fans are probably a little nervous about this, if they are being honest with themselves.

    GW2 "built from the ground up with microtransactions in mind"
    1) Cash->Gems->Gold->Influence->WvWvWBoosts = PAY2WIN
    2) Mystic Chests = Crass in-game cash shop advertisements

  • DistopiaDistopia Baltimore, MDPosts: 16,912Member Uncommon

    Originally posted by gaeanprayer

    Originally posted by Distopia


    Originally posted by RizelStar


     

    One question, by the end of the year how much would you have ended up spending on SWTOR?

     

    Yea let's keep bullshitting. Gogogogo!!!

     

    Take care guys y'all be easy.

    What does the sub fee have to do with anything? You can't sit here and create double standards, it's the box fee that is in question here. All this box fee shows is Ncsoft and Anet are no different than Bioware or EA. All of these companies are after the same thing, they all have the same goal.

    The fact is it was illogical when anyone was attacking Bioware for this, while acting as though the case would be any different for any other upcoming game. Most CE's throughtout 2011 were upwards of or close to the 100$ mark. The case will be the same in 2012.

    It doesn't matter who the company is, the AAA industry has standards and most follow them especially in the area of pricing.

    The sub fee has everything to do with it. With Anet, there's no sub fee. With SWTOR, there is. In a year of playing SWTOR + Collector's you're paying a hell of a lot more than someone who just bought the Collector's for GW2 and...they own it. That's it. No more money ever. If you stop paying monthly for SWTOR, that money you spent on the Collector's edition is thrown in the trash because now you can't play your game. No such issue with Anet. How you figure that's not part of the equation is beyond me.

     

    First of all the guy said he got his monies worth from the CE with SWTOR and didn't see the value in GW2's which sparked the comparison, so no a sub fee has nothing to do with that, as it's the guys personal opinion on what makes it a tangible value. Not what you or rizel want to imply should mean more to him.

    Second you own GW2 as much as you own any other MMO. Servers aren't up you're not playing.

    Third the topic is CE's a CE for GW2 is of no greater value than any other CE for an MMO. It's not the game you're paying extra for.

     

     

    For every minute you are angry , you lose 60 seconds of happiness."-Emerson

    It is a sign of a defeated man, to attack at ones character in the face of logic and reason- Me

  • Superduper69Superduper69 Aurora, INPosts: 363Member

    Originally posted by gaeanprayer

    Originally posted by Distopia


    Originally posted by RizelStar


     

    One question, by the end of the year how much would you have ended up spending on SWTOR?

     

    Yea let's keep bullshitting. Gogogogo!!!

     

    Take care guys y'all be easy.

    What does the sub fee have to do with anything? You can't sit here and create double standards, it's the box fee that is in question here. All this box fee shows is Ncsoft and Anet are no different than Bioware or EA. All of these companies are after the same thing, they all have the same goal.

    The fact is it was illogical when anyone was attacking Bioware for this, while acting as though the case would be any different for any other upcoming game. Most CE's throughtout 2011 were upwards of or close to the 100$ mark. The case will be the same in 2012.

    It doesn't matter who the company is, the AAA industry has standards and most follow them especially in the area of pricing.

    The sub fee has everything to do with it. With Anet, there's no sub fee. With SWTOR, there is. In a year of playing SWTOR + Collector's you're paying a hell of a lot more than someone who just bought the Collector's for GW2 and...they own it. That's it. No more money ever. If you stop paying monthly for SWTOR, that money you spent on the Collector's edition is thrown in the trash because now you can't play your game. No such issue with Anet. How you figure that's not part of the equation is beyond me.

    As for Bioware, the Collector's edition of bioware including items that were extremely powerful for the Multiplayer bit. I could point you to threads of elitist bitching on BSN where people with those items feel like they're carrying everyone else, and it's true. People with those items are at a significant advantage. CE GW2 gets you...a ring that gives you +2 to stats (in a game where your stats will be in the many hundreds, so it won't be significant for more than the beginning levels) a miniature pet that's cute but ultimately irrelevant, and beta access + some IRL goodies that once again, are irrelevant, and only great to people that are the most hardcore of the hardcore of fans. But I'm in no way at a disadvantage just because I get the regular edition. I won't...but if I was, I'd be fine (I'll be buying Deluxe)

    I can stop playing GW2 anytime i want just like i can stop playing SWTOR or cancel my sub anytime i want. I have no idea how it is considered as money being thrown in trash. Also believe it or not but for majority 12 to 15 bucks a month is not such a big deal. if it was WOW wouldn't have the subscribers it has today if people were really that stingy with spending 15 bucks a month which is like a pocket change and the cheapet entertainment one can get for whole month.

  • GoldenArrowGoldenArrow TurkuPosts: 1,187Member Uncommon

    Only way to stop this overcharging of EU/UK would be to boycott the game untill it goes cheaper price tag (ala TotalBiscuit). But Anet knows we can't wait for this game so they are more than happy to rip us off badly. I just hope they won't get as greedy with the cash shop as they are with the game itself :(

  • atticusbcatticusbc Posts: 1,069Member Uncommon

    Originally posted by GoldenArrow

    Only way to stop this overcharging of EU/UK would be to boycott the game untill it goes cheaper price tag (ala TotalBiscuit). But Anet knows we can't wait for this game so they are more than happy to rip us off badly. I just hope they won't get as greedy with the cash shop as they are with the game itself :(

    they're going to make 90% of their money through box sales, so i think the price makes sense.

  • Superduper69Superduper69 Aurora, INPosts: 363Member

    Originally posted by atticusbc

    Originally posted by GoldenArrow

    Only way to stop this overcharging of EU/UK would be to boycott the game untill it goes cheaper price tag (ala TotalBiscuit). But Anet knows we can't wait for this game so they are more than happy to rip us off badly. I just hope they won't get as greedy with the cash shop as they are with the game itself :(

    they're going to make 90% of their money through box sales, so i think the price makes sense.

    90% is a little far fetched considering that they have a cash shop too. In GW cash shop was a huge hit i am sure it would do even better in GW2.

  • DistopiaDistopia Baltimore, MDPosts: 16,912Member Uncommon

    Originally posted by GoldenArrow

    Only way to stop this overcharging of EU/UK would be to boycott the game untill it goes cheaper price tag (ala TotalBiscuit). But Anet knows we can't wait for this game so they are more than happy to rip us off badly. I just hope they won't get as greedy with the cash shop as they are with the game itself :(

    Tell that to European Beer dstributers.

    For every minute you are angry , you lose 60 seconds of happiness."-Emerson

    It is a sign of a defeated man, to attack at ones character in the face of logic and reason- Me

  • TomTrixxTomTrixx VPosts: 94Member

    Originally posted by cinos

    If this game had a sub fee I would agree that the prices were too much.

    However considering there is no sub and you are getting more content than any b2p game ever released. I think the price is fair.

    This!

    I would argue that you will get tons more playtime and content etc from GW2 than for example Skyrim or ME3, and what did people pay for those? (not to mention SWTOR).

  • XzenXzen Los Alamos, NMPosts: 2,607Member Common

    Just going to get the regular. maybe digital delux. Screw this $100+ CE trend.

  • Superduper69Superduper69 Aurora, INPosts: 363Member

    Originally posted by tomaswilen

    Originally posted by cinos

    If this game had a sub fee I would agree that the prices were too much.

    However considering there is no sub and you are getting more content than any b2p game ever released. I think the price is fair.

    This!

    I would argue that you will get tons more playtime and content etc from GW2 than for example Skyrim or ME3, and what did people pay for those? (not to mention SWTOR).

    The claim that you are getting more content than any other game like Skyrim, ME3, SWTOR etc is based on what? the game is not released yet so atleast i am not going to start passing assumptiosn as facts on basis of few videos.

  • UnlightUnlight Ottawa, ONPosts: 2,540Member

    Originally posted by TwilightEdge

    I wanted to buy CE for the 1st time in my life but it's a little bit expensive. Especially that they add a figure which I'm not a fan of. I'm more interested in posters/artbook etc. Oh well I can live with standard or deluxe edition =] btw. they released min. sys req. too.

    If it was a model of Eir or Caithe, I wouldn't think twice.  Now I need to think.  It still looks really good, but I'm just not a big charr fan.

  • romanator0romanator0 Glendora, CAPosts: 2,382Member

    Looks like the standard edition for me. A few consumables aren't worth the few extra bucks for the digital deluxe as far as I'm concerned and while I do want the making-of book and the soundtrack I'm not keen on paying for a few art prints and a figurine that I don't want to get them.

    image

  • UnlightUnlight Ottawa, ONPosts: 2,540Member

    Originally posted by Pivotelite

    Originally posted by Kaocan

    They are serious?? I'm gonna get soaked a minimum of $60 just to have the right to download the game off the net? They are charging more for the digital than anyone else has in history with no publishing backend expenses. Sorry, $60 and $80 is just a plain rip-off for a digital download. And the extra $20 for the DD, and I get a couple 'less-than' 5 day cash shop style trinkets that will be gone in the first week of play? Seriously?!?!?!

    I'm sorry, I have enough pocket cash to drop for 5 CE right now if I thought it was worth the money, but I am just not seeing anything but greed on thier end for these 3 versions. I can't believe I'm the only one who sees this.

     You're definitely not the only one, I think it is seriously overpriced. 

    $60 for a digital download game that has no further subscription or monetary requirement is pretty damned reasonable.  Most other games are costing you this much after the first month of play, if not up front, and then only continue to siphon your wallet.

    Perspective is a great thing when you have it.

  • atticusbcatticusbc Posts: 1,069Member Uncommon

    Originally posted by Unlight

    Originally posted by Pivotelite


    Originally posted by Kaocan

    They are serious?? I'm gonna get soaked a minimum of $60 just to have the right to download the game off the net? They are charging more for the digital than anyone else has in history with no publishing backend expenses. Sorry, $60 and $80 is just a plain rip-off for a digital download. And the extra $20 for the DD, and I get a couple 'less-than' 5 day cash shop style trinkets that will be gone in the first week of play? Seriously?!?!?!

    I'm sorry, I have enough pocket cash to drop for 5 CE right now if I thought it was worth the money, but I am just not seeing anything but greed on thier end for these 3 versions. I can't believe I'm the only one who sees this.

     You're definitely not the only one, I think it is seriously overpriced. 

    $60 for a digital download game that has no further subscription or monetary requirement is pretty damned reasonable.  Most other games are costing you this much after the first month of play, if not up front, and then only continue to siphon your wallet.

    Perspective is a great thing when you have it.

    +1 unlight. that's the problem with b2p: people lose perspective suddenly and start feeling all entitled.

Sign In or Register to comment.