Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Wasteland 2 - UPDATE #15

firefly2003firefly2003 Member UncommonPosts: 2,527

Taking a cue from Double Fine's Tim Schafer, InXile Entertainment's Brian Fargo now wants to create a Wasteland sequel.

Fargo mentioned the idea last month and is now heading the team for the game. Two of the original game's designers, Alan Pavlish and Mike Stackpole, are also back. The soundtrack is being composed by Mark Morgan of Fallout 1 and 2 and the story is being written by Fallout co-creator Jason Anderson. Other members of the team will be added at a later date.

"This is probably the last chance for a Wasteland sequel," Fargo wrote on the Kickstarter page. "We have tried to pitch this game multiple times to game publishers, but they’ve balked. They don’t think there’s any interest in a solid, old school type of game.  This is our shot at proving them wrong.

"Supporting Wasteland 2 is nothing more radical than pre-ordering a game from your favorite brick-and-mortar store. We believe strongly enough in this project and in your desire to see it become a reality, that we decided to go ahead with this Kickstarter drive to fund it."

The original Wasteland was first released in 1988 for PC. The Wasteland 2 Kickstarter project is looking for a required $900,000 in funding over the next 30 days.

"We’re going back to the original and building from there. No first person shooter, we’re going top down so you get a tactical feel for the situation," Fargo added. "And we’re not ditching the party play to turn it into some hack-and-slash bloodfest. It’s turn based, tactical, with a storyline that will be deeper and broader.

"We’re determined to keep the gritty, grim and satirical writing. We’re going to pitch those moral dilemmas at you. You’re going to be faced with the consequences of your actions."

As of the time of this writing $100,000 has already been donated.

[Source: Kickstarter] Click On Link To Donate

Original Documentation and Video (Funny) in link above (Source)

Jay Wilson -Game Director at Blizzard Enterainment has pledged 10K$ to the project!!! (Angryrobotics on Twitter)

Comments

• firefly2003firefly2003 Member UncommonPosts: 2,527

Wasteland 2 is the direct sequel to the first ever post-apocalyptic computer RPG. The original Wasteland was the inspiration for the FALLOUT series of games, and the first RPG to allow players to split parties for tactical considerations, to face players with moral choices, and to make them deal with the consequences of their actions. It was the first to provide far more than the one-key-for-one-lock style of puzzle solving. It was groundbreaking, which is why IGN named it one of the top 25 PC games of all time, Computer Gaming World named it the Adventure Game of the year in 1988, and it was short-listed for inclusion in the Smithsonian Institution’s current “Art of the Computer Game” exhibition.

Wasteland was set in a dangerous, post-apocalyptic world in the American Southwest. Over the course of adventures rangers would receive promotions, acquire new skills and equipment, then face new challenges with outcomes that changed depending on the strategy used to defeat them. The game featured a strong storyline which required painful decisions by players; and a storyline that allowed for maximum re-playability. Wasteland 2, with your participation and insights, will recapture all that and provide more.  It'll finally be the game worthy to be a Wasteland sequel, as challenging and rewarding as the original, with all added capacity and dazzle of games today.

For Wasteland 2, we’re getting the band back together again!. Brian Fargo who Executive Produced both Wasteland and Fallout will be heading the team. Alan Pavlish and Mike Stackpole—the original game’s primary designers—are coming back to put the project together, and we’re rounding up as many of the other designers, like Ken St. Andre, as we can. On top of that, we’ll have music by Mark Morgan of Fallout 1 and 2 fame. The storyline for Wasteland 2 was written by Jason Anderson who was the co-creator of Fallout. We have also enlisted the help of the amazing concept artist, Andree Wallin to help craft the Wasteland 2 world.

A sample of Andree's other work can be seen below.

Brian Fargo founded Interplay Productions (By Gamers, For Gamers) in 1983 where he went on to produce and finance some of the biggest RPG's made like Bard's Tale, Fallout 1 and 2, Stonekeep, Dragon Wars, Baldur's Gate, Icewind Dale, and more. Creating a new Wasteland will be a point of pride in the long history of games.

Not a month goes by when an email doesn’t come in asking if we’ve ever considered doing a sequel. Emails from gamers who remember Wasteland fondly and want, just as badly as we do, to return to that gritty world where burning through clips might be the only thing that keeps you alive; and where running out of ammo will certainly get you killed. The fact that you, the folks who know and love and play games, keep asking for Wasteland 2 told us that there is a demand for it.

So, we’re coming to you for support.

Financial.

And creative.

After all, since you’re the driving force behind this game, we want to make sure that we’ll be delivering the game you want. Wasteland is ready for a sequel, and with your help, it’s going to happen. As for why you should want to participate, we’ll let Kotaku point out why making Wasteland 2 happen is very important:  FanFundWasteland!

With your collective vision, the game that was the godfather to the popular Fallout series will become a reality.  Not only will you fund the development, but you’ll have a voice in how the game goes together. We will have forums up for design discussion and soliciting your ideas for what will make Wasteland 2 rock.

This is your chance to influence the kind of game you want to see. With fan funding, you drive the direction of game design and development. If it is important to you, it is important to us. 

This is probably the last chance for a Wasteland sequel.  We have tried to pitch this game multiple times to game publishers, but they’ve balked. They don’t think there’s any interest in a solid, old school type of game.  This is our shot at proving them wrong. And more importantly this could help bring back an entire genre of RPGs. The power of the Indie scene continues and we see this as all part of a bigger trend of bringing control back to the developers.

Supporting Wasteland 2 is nothing more radical than pre-ordering a game from your favorite brick-and-mortar store. We believe strongly enough in this project and in your desire to see it become a reality, that we decided to go ahead with this Kickstarter drive to fund it.

Nuts and bolts time.

We’re going back to the original and building from there. No first person shooter, we’re going top down so you get a tactical feel for the situation. And we’re not ditching the party play to turn it into some hack-and-slash bloodfest. It’s turn based, tactical, with a storyline that will be deeper and broader.

We’re determined to keep the gritty, grim and satirical writing. We’re going to pitch those moral dilemmas at you. You’re going to be faced with the consequences of your actions.

We’re planning on an initial 6 months of pre-production. We’ll nail down every important element that you, our creative partners, want.  Once we have all that figured out, we buckle down for 12 month development cycle. During that time, players can get a sneak peek on a private closed beta through Steam.  In addition, we will be giving you constant updates and showing you our progress along the way.

To do this game right, we need to raise $1 million, but you'll notice our funding request is $900,000 and that is because Brian Fargo has offered to fund the last $100,000 if need be. That’s a lot of money needed, but not when compared with the budgets of most full scale RPGs made today. The original game sold over 100,000 copies—on the Apple ][ and Commodore 64 platforms back in the day. If everyone who played it then backs the project at the most basic level, the game is on.

But we’re looking ahead to what we can do if you all back this project in force. At $1.25 million, the money will go primarily into making the world bigger, adding more maps, more divergent stories and even more music. 

At $1.5 million, the world gets even bigger. You’ll have more adventures to play, more challenges to deal with, and a greater level of complexity to the entire storyline.  We’ll add more environments, story elements, and characters to make the rich world come alive even more.  We will even be able to bring Wasteland 2 to OS X for Mac lovers. And after $1.5 million the sky is the limit.

Everyone on the team is incredibly excited about the possibilities this Kickstarter will unlock. Like you, we’ve long dreamed of being able to bring Wasteland back.  If you share that dream, if you’ve always wanted to watch and influence the game design process from start to finish, this is your chance. If you’ve wanted to change the world and get the games you really deserve, then do it by funding this Kickstarter.  The road to Wasteland 2 is there. 

Join us on what’s going to be a wild ride.

***A big thank you to our (already) loyal forum users for their help in crafting the Kickstarter rewards.  You guys rock!**

For our Russian fans...

? ?? ???? ?????????? ????. ??? ??? ?????????? ??? ???????

http://blog.fallout-archives.com/podderzhim-fargo-vmeste

• nonthalnonthal Member UncommonPosts: 57

I was a HUGE fan of the original...I really hope this becomes a reality!

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,498

Originally posted by nonthal

Don't hope.... pledge!

I must say, some folks tossing around sums of 1000 bucks and more, true fans.

I might toss in 30 or so.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

Originally posted by Kyleran

Originally posted by nonthal

Don't hope.... pledge!

I must say, some folks tossing around sums of 1000 bucks and more, true fans.

I might toss in 30 or so.

I tossed in 1k :D I like the rewards they are offering :D plus a NPC with my name on it sounds intriguing :D

These guys have a real passion to make this game by all means necessary I want to support developers like this :D if anyone has looked at their site check out that video :D

• GTwanderGTwander Member UncommonPosts: 6,035

All for it, but in the real world - turn-based will no longer fly.

This is why FO3 did real well, and I can promise you that if it stuck true to it's original convention, it would be loved by old fans calling it "true to the original", with the millions if *now* gamers that were too young to even try it, and too spoiled by modern games to get it. Cult classic is the best it could have done, and is about where Wasteland 2 will be if they don't tweak things to meet the modern sensibilities.

It's like trying to pitch a JRPG to players that a) never played them back in the day, and b) find them boring as shit.

Though, I will state, personally, that I think following the original specs under a new skin would be great. I'm always for divergent gameplay, and this style doesn't come around long enough. There is a beef I still carry without Fallout, though, that never happened with FF:Tactics... being bored to high hell while waiting for a turn to pass. Don't know why, but FO1's turns were brutal to wait out, even on fastest speed. I liked FO Tactics, a lot, but it's biggest problem was the totally linear nature of the game. If they could take the active combat of FO:Tactics and keep the open nature of FO and Wasteland, then it could be something... but will still be compared to FO:Tactics, and that simple comparison used as an argument as to why the game is, or should be, a total flop.

I do worry, though, about what could happen after officially accepting funds from these people. It's a very interesting concept of gaining interest and revenue through this kind of method, I could see a lot of indie people doing something like this. It's much more suited to a process requiring far less funding... WL2 is going to cost millions, and these options are only going to get about 1/5th of the money needed to greenlight it - and it's all pledge money. Lots are going to back out... it's iffy.

Writer / Musician / Game Designer

Now Playing: Skyrim, Wurm Online, Tropico 4
    Waiting On: GW2, TSW, Archeage, The Rapture

• VryheidVryheid Member UncommonPosts: 469

All indications are that it's not going to be real-time combat, and that's just the way the fans want it. Turn based combat isn't outdated, it just caters to a different breed of gamer. You know, the ones actually sponsoring the development.

also I donated to this, worthy cause IMO

Up to 327K in funds !!!!!!

Originally posted by Vryheid

All indications are that it's not going to be real-time combat, and that's just the way the fans want it. Turn based combat isn't outdated, it just caters to a different breed of gamer. You know, the ones actually sponsoring the development.

also I donated to this, worthy cause IMO

We just want a game developed by people who have a passion for gaming, and want to create their dream project and it will come true it seems, and also they get to keep their original vision for the game also instead of dumbing it down or changing it to a FPS....

Backers

$384,324

pledged of $900,000 goal

days to go

Pledge $15 or more

3380 Backers

Digital Downloable copy of game DRM free for PC. This low price only available for those who helped fund. Also your party will start with a unique and quirky skill. (It won't affect game balance.)

Estimated Delivery: Oct 2013

Pledge $30 or more

685 Backers

Previous reward + Downloadable DRM free digital soundtrack by Mark Morgan and digital WASTELAND 2 CONCEPT ART BOOK.

Pledge $50 or more

1129 Backers

Full LARGE BOXED COPY OF WASTELAND 2, complete with worn cloth game map and old school instruction book. Also features the digital soundtrack and digital concept art book from previous award. Also receive an early release episodic Novella (Part 1) on the Wasteland 2 world created by Mike Stackpole, a member of the original Wasteland story team. The Novella will give hints and clues being built into the actual Wasteland 2 game.

Pledge $75 or more

162 Backers

Previous Reward + Early release episodic Novella (Part 2) on the Wasteland 2 world created by Mike Stackpole, a NYT bestselling author and member of the original Wasteland team. Also, get PREMIER ACCESS TO AN EARLY PLAYABLE BETA ON STEAM.

Pledge $100 or more

900 Backers

Previous reward + COLLECTOR'S EDITION PREMIUM BOXED VERSION which of course contains map and instruction book. But additionally comes with Wasteland miniature, Wasteland 2 faction badge. Also get your name in the credits in a special thanks section. The premium box replaces the standard box but also comes with a digital copy of the game.

Pledge $150 or more

53 Backers

The previous reward plus a limited edition numbered collectible coin and WASTELAND 2 POSTER.

Pledge $250 or more

219 Backers • Limited Reward (781 of 1000 remaining)

Previous reward + your boxed collectors edition copy of the game will be AUTOGRAPHED BY BRIAN FARGO, ALAN PAVLISH, MIKE STACKPOLE and other key development team members. You will also receive 2 digital download copies (so you can leave your collectors edition sealed up!) and a lv1 Desert Ranger medal of honor (real metal medal) limited edition collectible.

Pledge $500 or more

21 Backers • Limited Reward (479 of 500 remaining)

Previous reward + WASTELAND DOOMSDAY PREPARATION SURVIVAL KIT. All your doomsday needs in a themed Wasteland collectible bag. You’ll also receive a lv2 Desert Ranger medal of honor limited edition collectible.

Pledge $1,000 or more

33 Backers • Limited Reward (67 of 100 remaining)

Previous reward + BECOME AN NPC, WEAPON, OR LOCATION in the Wasteland 2 world! We will get your name and (if relevant) a picture of you to add your general likeness to the actual shipped game. Brag to your friends and beg them not to take you out with a Meson Cannon. You’ll also receive 5 digital copies of the game and a lv3 Desert Ranger medal of honor limited edition collectible.

Pledge $2,500 or more

0 Backers • Limited Reward (100 of 100 remaining)

Previous reward + AN EXPLODED BLOOD SAUSAGE Wasteland limited signed and numbered collectible figurine. You’ll also receive 10 digital copies of the game to do what you want and of course, a lv4 Desert Ranger medal of honor limited edition collectible.

Pledge $5,000 or more

1 Backer • Limited Reward (9 of 10 remaining)

Previous reward + We will BUILD A STATUE, in your honor. After getting a picture of you, we will carefully craft this in game statue. You are now forever a part of Wasteland history. At this level, we will also sign and frame actual original concept art from the game. With 30 digital copies of Wasteland 2, you will be a hit with your friends. You will also receive a lv5 Desert ranger medal of honor limited edition collectible. (for the game, you'll get 1 signed collectors edition and 30 digital copies)

Pledge $10,000 or more

3 Backers • Limited Reward (5 of 8 remaining)

Previous reward + COME TO AN EXCLUSIVE PRIVATE PARTY hosted by Brian Fargo, Alan Pavlish and other key members of the Wasteland team (must be able to travel to Newport Beach, CA). Talk design, previous works or anything else you’d like to discuss. Also, a shrine in Wasteland 2 will be erected in your honor. You’ll receive 50 copies of the game to do what you want and our deep appreciation. And a medal.

Project By

Inxilelogo.large

Brian Fargo founded both inXile entertainment in 2002 and Interplay Productions (By Gamers, For Gamers) in 1983 where he went on to produce and finance some of the biggest RPG's made like Bard's Tale, Fallout 1 and 2, Stonekeep, Dragon Wars, Baldur's Gate, Icewind Dale, and more.

If any of you forum lurkers out there have other gaming sites please help spread the word for this project and help developers that create games for gamers give us something fun to play again :D.

• sonicbrewsonicbrew Member UncommonPosts: 515

Funding for Double Fine adventure has come to a close. In just over a month, the project earned $3,335,265, more than eight times its original goal of $400,000

haha some folks just got rich as heck. man, I need a good ploy to market to gamers....

“Once the game is over, the king and the pawn go back in the same box.” ~ Italian proverb   

• khelbonkhelbon Member UncommonPosts: 124

This is really awesome! I might have to throw some cash at them as well.

Originally posted by sonicbrew

Funding for Double Fine adventure has come to a close. In just over a month, the project earned $3,335,265, more than eight times its original goal of $400,000

haha some folks just got rich as heck. man, I need a good ploy to market to gamers....

I haven't looked at that project yet, but I'm finding the site a possible key to the future of independent game development perhaps for small projects hopefully that turn out to be successful games that are developed and created by gamers for gamers not just another piece of crap put out by another big publisher EA/Activision for a quick cash grab looking at you hard Mass Effect 3 and TOR.......

• BereKinBereKin Member Posts: 287

I hope they successed. Finally a independent Dev with innovative and fresh ideas. And to make sequel to one of the top games would be icing on the cake.

Originally posted by Nimar

I hope they successed. Finally a independent Dev with innovative and fresh ideas. And to make sequel to one of the top games would be icing on the cake.

As it stands right now we have raised over 510k$ so far it looks like its going to happen all this in not even a complete day yet pretty impressive....

• fadisfadis Member Posts: 469

Wasteland was THE first best game I ever played... having said that, I'm not sure rounding up the original creators and such for a throwback game does a lot to get me excited...

Originally posted by fadis

Wasteland was THE first best game I ever played... having said that, I'm not sure rounding up the original creators and such for a throwback game does a lot to get me excited...

Would you rather a publisher ruin it and change it into a FPS or a hack and slash dumbed down to the lowest common denominator?

• NitthNitth Member UncommonPosts: 3,904

Originally posted by firefly2003

Would you rather a publisher ruin it and change it into a FPS or a hack and slash dumbed down to the lowest common denominator?

How is FPS in a form of presentation a way to dumb down a game? Fallout 3 Was quite intuitive and a great game to play, If it was represented in a Top down fashion could you truly say the game would be harder?

I personally don't think I would go back to a turn based system, But I do think what they are doing is a noble cause, Its a shame that all too often creative freedom is squashed by the shadow of Business.

TSW - AoC - Aion - WOW - EVE - Fallen Earth - Co - Rift - || XNA C# Java Development

Nearing 750k !!!

Originally posted by Mellkor

How is FPS in a form of presentation a way to dumb down a game? Fallout 3 Was quite intuitive and a great game to play, If it was represented in a Top down fashion could you truly say the game would be harder?

I personally don't think I would go back to a turn based system, But I do think what they are doing is a noble cause, Its a shame that all too often creative freedom is squashed by the shadow of Business.

Let's take some recent revivals for example Syndicate and X-Com, both isometric tactical stragety games in their time both extremely successful for their time and stood out in gamers eyes, fast forward to today XCOM and Syndicate were turned into and dumbed down into FPS shooters removed what made them beloved and turned them into another cash grab, which is why Firaxis was prompted at least to develop a proper X-Com for the real fans and do it the right way.

Obiviously in Brian Fargo's video he was demonstrating that he had met with publishers and had probably they only way to get the game made was to (modernize it) dumb it down for mass appeal and make it a FPS as stated above like the 2 game I already mentioned he did a quick excuse me? Pusblishers want to milk IP's  or change them from something they originally was into something that should never be in the first place, insulting the original fans of the franchise in disgust.

Changing a game that was originally a stragety game to a FPS shooter to streamline it for the masses is something that should not be done just to milk a IP they havent used in years.

If Brian caved in on this yea he probably would have got funded from a publisher but the game it self would have turned out into some bastard abomination far removed from what it was intended to be.

• fadisfadis Member Posts: 469

I liked top-down view and "Bard's Tale" combat in 1988...  In 2012... I'd like a game that has 2012 production values - with a good treatment of the source material. 

No.  I wasn't thinking FPS - but turn-based combat RPGs seem more than a bit dated to me.

As of this morning we have surpassed the $ 900,000 goal to put in development Wasteland 2 and people are still making pledges a new milestone now is to hit 1.5 mil so the game can be on cross platform Macs and Linux that's if we hit 1.5 mil which we will, less than 48hrs and this game is fully funded !!! It feels good to give towards a game you really want to play and not have the dirty fingers of publishers in it :D  http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/inxile/wasteland-2/comments 

• SenadinaSenadina Member UncommonPosts: 896

I liked top-down view and "Bard's Tale" combat in 1988...  In 2012... I'd like a game that has 2012 production values - with a good treatment of the source material. 

No.  I wasn't thinking FPS - but turn-based combat RPGs seem more than a bit dated to me.

Have you seen any footage from what Firaxis is doing with X-Com: Enemy Unknown? It is a tactical turn-based game that doesn't look dated in any way. It looks awesome, and RTS's don't normally appeal to me. Turn-based play can still work as long as the presentation is updated.

Originally posted by Senadina

Have you seen any footage from what Firaxis is doing with X-Com: Enemy Unknown? It is a tactical turn-based game that doesn't look dated in any way. It looks awesome, and RTS's don't normally appeal to me. Turn-based play can still work as long as the presentation is updated.

Ive seen a lot of game play screenshots and some footage from Firaxis's version and yes it is a proper reboot to the franchise and I plan on picking it up as soon as its released X-Com series was THE fav of my teenage years and own them all today picked them all up on Steam a while back. Firaxis has always had a good reputation and puts out quality games, I look forward to X-Com and will be def looking forward to Wasteland 2 :D real RPGs have returned !!!!!!

• ThorqemadaThorqemada Member UncommonPosts: 1,282

Great!
    Wasteland 2 will come October 2013 onto my HD :)
    I feel they will even get the money to do the OS X and Linux version.

Seems good times of gaming lay ahead with X-Com, Mechwarrior-Online, Wasteland 2 etc...

May i hope for a new Starflight and MOO2 too?

"Torquemada... do not implore him for compassion. Torquemada... do not beg him for forgiveness. Torquemada... do not ask him for mercy. Let's face it, you can't Torquemada anything!"

MWO Music Video - What does the Mech say: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FF6HYNqCDLI
    Johnny Cash - The Man Comes Around: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y0x2iwK0BKM