Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

10 years after

Lord.BachusLord.Bachus Member RarePosts: 9,686

I left Eq about 10 years ago, after 3 wonderfull years to play DAoC and i never looked back. Now with the free to play version comming up, i'll go back to see what has become of the mystical world.

But what has changed over the last 10 years, is it still near impossible to solo, is there still a severe deathpennalty, is traveling around still as exciting as it used to be?

What has become from the classes?  The races? and is there still a racial PvP server?

Best MMO experiences : EQ(PvE), DAoC(PvP), WoW(total package) LOTRO (worldfeel) GW2 (Artstyle and animations and worlddesign) SWTOR (Story immersion) TSW (story) ESO (character advancement)

Comments

• MardyMardy Member Posts: 2,213

Originally posted by Lord.Bachus

But what has changed over the last 10 years, is it still near impossible to solo, is there still a severe deathpennalty, is traveling around still as exciting as it used to be?

What has become from the classes?  The races? and is there still a racial PvP server?

All classes can solo now with introduction of mercenaries, which are AI's that you can hire to help you & your group kill things.  In Guild Wars they are called henchmen.

No more severe death penalties, but dying still stings a bit, you just no longer lose items and no need to recover your corpse if you don't need that exp back.

Traveling is still fun of course, EQ is one of the largest games out there with the amount of zones available.  There are more teleport options available now, especially with guild hall's teleport npc.  But you still do get to travel plenty.

No more sullon zek, there's just 1 Zek server and it's low populated.  PvP never took off since the good 'ol Sullon/Rallos Zek days.

Check http://www.everquest.com/free for details on what classs/races available to free to play accounts.  You will be able to buy additional class/race from the marketplace ingame if you don't find a class/race you want to play from what's available.

EQ1-AC1-DAOC-FFXI-L2-EQ2-WoW-DDO-GW-LoTR-VG-WAR-GW2-ESO

• SiiionSiiion Member Posts: 69

Honestly with merc's classes *can* solo but, playing a rogue myself it is not nearly as efficient as a group, and still I believe a full group of players awards bonus xp and is better overall and soloing. Soloing 70+ Is painful

• Lord.BachusLord.Bachus Member RarePosts: 9,686

Does anyone know how much the non free classes will cost inb the shop, i have some points left from my free EQ2 experience?

Best MMO experiences : EQ(PvE), DAoC(PvP), WoW(total package) LOTRO (worldfeel) GW2 (Artstyle and animations and worlddesign) SWTOR (Story immersion) TSW (story) ESO (character advancement)

• CrepitusCrepitus Member Posts: 49

Does anyone know how much the non free classes will cost inb the shop, i have some points left from my free EQ2 experience?

Looking for that info to but I don't think they told the price yet.

You can solo with mercs to an extent but some classes will never be as efficient as being in a group. 

• ThorbrandThorbrand Member Posts: 1,198

Game is a lot easier than it was! (They need to launch a vanilla EQ server when they go F2P)

No one knows the costs of anything until they announce it. Hasn't been announced.

If you played EQ vanilla even without groups or NPC's you can solo the game now. If you are not that old school you may need help.

From their Q&A

http://forums.station.sony.com/eq/posts/list.m?topic_id=183997

Q: What is the cost to buy a playable class not included in the Free or Silver account?

A: We have yet to release these details. It's a one time unlock purchase.

I am actually wondering now, why would anyone want to play a watered down EQ instead of EQ2? (except for nostalgia and traveling the once wellknown lands once more to say goodbye)

• MardyMardy Member Posts: 2,213

I am actually wondering now, why would anyone want to play a watered down EQ instead of EQ2? (except for nostalgia and traveling the once wellknown lands once more to say goodbye)

Because some people prefer EQ1 over EQ2, and EQ1 is not considered a "watered down EQ".  They are different games, they play differently, they feel different.  EQ1 is pretty much one of a kind, something that people go back to play every once in awhile to do something different.  Where as EQ2 is more like most modern games today, and in that case many people simply choose to play a newer game such as Rift or SWTOR if they wanted to play a newer engine game.

EQ1-AC1-DAOC-FFXI-L2-EQ2-WoW-DDO-GW-LoTR-VG-WAR-GW2-ESO

Played both. I keep revisiting Everquest 1 every now and then for 2-3 months in between new mmos release. Actually tried doing the same thing with EQ2 and would log off in a matter of minutes everytime even if EQ2 was F2P . Mostly the combat and mechanics and the art style is just not for me.

Can't say if it's nostalgia but I don't think it is, I think it's more like EQ1 being my conformtable shoes/clothes. I like how the game plays, as weird as it may sound for such an old game.

Actually really excited for this friday. 

Originally posted by Crepitus

Played both. I keep revisiting Everquest 1 every now and then for 2-3 months in between new mmos release. Actually tried doing the same thing with EQ2 and would log off in a matter of minutes everytime even if EQ2 was F2P . Mostly the combat and mechanics and the art style is just not for me.

Can't say if it's nostalgia but I don't think it is, I think it's more like EQ1 being my conformtable shoes/clothes. I like how the game plays, as weird as it may sound for such an old game.

Well, now i think about it, EQ2 takes you by the hand and leads you around... how is old EQ doing, is it still the place of freedom and travel?

• ShakyMoShakyMo Member CommonPosts: 7,207
    They're not a half bad early prog / blues rock band actually. Love like a man has a stonking bassline

Well, now i think about it, EQ2 takes you by the hand and leads you around... how is old EQ doing, is it still the place of freedom and travel?

Well it's not like at the start where it was a dangerous trip to go from Qeynos to Freeport on foot and cross Kithicor Forest at night. With Plane of Knowledge you can go pretty much quickly where you want with portal. So the sense of fear in your travel is not as present as before.

However, I think I found last night why I keep coming back. It's the sensation of challenge just hunting regular exp mobs. In most new MMOs, you target the mob, hit the auto-attack and you could stay there and watch your character still kill regular mobs. Without even using any abilities. I know I remember watching my 4yo son back in time when he first tried playing sitting on my knees. He could grind mobs in Vanilla WoW with using any ability from 1 to 60.

Exp mobs in EverQuest can quad hit you and kill you in one round. Sure, we are talking about later levels 60ish+ but still. You have to be aware of what you do most of the time. At some point, be it in group or solo, you reach a certain comfort level of hunting at a certain spot and then BAM shit hit the fan.

I am Enchanter in EQ and even if I prefer grouping, soloing is a rewarding challenging experience. Charming a mob, giving it weapons, buffing and speeding his attack speed to turn him into a beast and then sending him to attack another one. Then you hope Charm does not break because you got 2 angry mobs turning and rushing for you. Usually you don't have the options to let them reach you or you're dead in one round.

I think this is the real reason why I love EverQuest still so much.For me, It's the most rewarding PVE MMO game I have found and played so far. I'm not talking about raids, but more about the overall game challenge. Tons of MMOs have easy leveling and hard raids. Darkfall came close to it as an unforgiving game but I'm not much into PVP. 

Well it's not like at the start where it was a dangerous trip to go from Qeynos to Freeport on foot and cross Kithicor Forest at night. With Plane of Knowledge you can go pretty much quickly where you want with portal. So the sense of fear in your travel is not as present as before.

However, I think I found last night why I keep coming back. It's the sensation of challenge just hunting regular exp mobs. In most new MMOs, you target the mob, hit the auto-attack and you could stay there and watch your character still kill regular mobs. Without even using any abilities. I know I remember watching my 4yo son back in time when he first tried playing sitting on my knees. He could grind mobs in Vanilla WoW with using any ability from 1 to 60.

Exp mobs in EverQuest can quad hit you and kill you in one round. Sure, we are talking about later levels 60ish+ but still. You have to be aware of what you do most of the time. At some point, be it in group or solo, you reach a certain comfort level of hunting at a certain spot and then BAM shit hit the fan.

I am Enchanter in EQ and even if I prefer grouping, soloing is a rewarding challenging experience. Charming a mob, giving it weapons, buffing and speeding his attack speed to turn him into a beast and then sending him to attack another one. Then you hope Charm does not break because you got 2 angry mobs turning and rushing for you. Usually you don't have the options to let them reach you or you're dead in one round.

I think this is the real reason why I love EverQuest still so much.For me, It's the most rewarding PVE MMO game I have found and played so far. I'm not talking about raids, but more about the overall game challenge. Tons of MMOs have easy leveling and hard raids. Darkfall came close to it as an unforgiving game but I'm not much into PVP. 

Yes that sounds familiar, and how about evil classes like necromancers being KOS by guards when in the wrong area?

• AxeionAxeion Member UncommonPosts: 418

Yes that sounds familiar, and how about evil classes like necromancers being KOS by guards when in the wrong area?

depends on race an god worshiped who attacks you.but if you start in serpent spire the half dragon city . they wount.Thats the default starting area now you still can start in other cities but they wil be much less players .which has its own + an - to it.

"Civilized men are more discourteous than savages because they know they can be impolite without having their skulls split, as a general thing." — Robert E. Howard, The Tower of the Elephant (1933)