Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Game Canceled

13»

Comments

• freakishbeanfreakishbean Member UncommonPosts: 176

Ok, not sure if trolling, or blind raging dark age fan.

The game is going to have similarities to Space Marine (how could it not? They're using the same game engine) and that makes it Warhammer Online with a 40k skin?

There were 3 top complaints about Space Marine when it launched: Short campaign, mediocre writing/voice acting, and peer 2 peer multiplayer. You are the first person, of dozens of interviews, game previews and professional and amature reviews to say one bad thing about the combat of Space Marine. That was it's shining star, and is the only reason the game sold as many boxes as it did.

Now imagine that, with a seamless open world and RPG elements. That's DMO.

Actually, Space Marine was on the Unreal Engine. DMO is using the Darksiders Engine. Both of which are amazing engines.

Anyway, the only similarities from Space Marine and DMO is the over-the-shoulder shooting combat, which relic is helping to develop. Everything else Vigil is doing in-house, and with a little help from a chinese company whose name escapes me at this time. Anyway, we will find out in June, as that is when all the info of DMO is supposed to come to light at E3.

A lot of people seem to think that if THQ dies, then DMO dies. Really, THQ is just the publisher. Vigil is the developer, and from all perspectives, these guys are in great shape. And say THQ does die and Vigil needs to get  a new publisher, what game company wouldn't want to pick up the rights to the 40k game universe? As long as EA doesn't get it's grubby hands on it... I'd bank on Bethesda.

Needing is Wanting...
    Wanting is Coveting...
    Coveting is Sinning...
    I am SO going to Hell.

• BigHatLoganBigHatLogan Member Posts: 688

Originally posted by Zinzan

Originally posted by sullivanj69

I'm glad this one was cancelled.  It would have been a grave injustice to the 40k IP.  2 factions just wouldn't work and this would probably have kill 10 gretchin quests and raiding to kill titans or some garbage. 

Im of the same opinion, 40k needs to have open pvp where no factions are permanently alligned and it's very likely it would have been good v evil or some obscure variation on this, same as WAR it wouldn't have worked and flipped a huge middle digit to the lore.

Of course the problem is GW just loves splitting the factions into 2 sides for any campaigns that it runs.  Never makes any sense though when they do. 

Are you a Pavlovian Fish Biscuit Addict? Get Help Now!
    I will play no more MMORPGs until somethign good comes out!

• apocolusterapocoluster Member UncommonPosts: 1,326

Originally posted by Unicornicus

Enough of your common sense talk Quotheraving!!! this is the internet and there is no room for rational thought and factual numbers!

I fell out of my chair laughing

No matter how cynical you become, its never enough to keep up - Lily Tomlin

• StMichaelStMichael Member Posts: 183

Originally posted by freakishbean

A lot of people seem to think that if THQ dies, then DMO dies. Really, THQ is just the publisher. Vigil is the developer, and from all perspectives, these guys are in great shape. And say THQ does die and Vigil needs to get  a new publisher, what game company wouldn't want to pick up the rights to the 40k game universe? As long as EA doesn't get it's grubby hands on it... I'd bank on Bethesda.

It's not that simple, as Games Workshop owns the IP and simply licenses it to THQ. I'm not a lawyer, but my best guess would be that any company that wants to produce DMO would have to first buy Vigil, then negotiate IP rights with Games Workshop. Considering what they stand to gain from a successful 40k MMO, I'd imagine they'll try and make that part of the negotiations as painless as possible, but their legal team is notorious for botching good deals.

And because it has to be done...

FUS RO BOX!

• AvathosAvathos Member UncommonPosts: 155

This game is darn alive.

The proof is soo simple and here it is

http://www.vigilgames.com/

and check the list of openings.

• AC1074AC1074 Member Posts: 274

Originally posted by Avathos

This game is darn alive.

The proof is soo simple and here it is

http://www.vigilgames.com/

and check the list of openings.

Uhh...there is no info on this in the link provided. The game is listed at the top but no info. The only thing that is posted is a trailer that was showed at E3 2010.....two years ago. I don't know, I will be  really disappointed if this game is scrapped. It sounds like its been tossed on a back burner for now.

"Back burner" is a relative term in the video game industry. Darksiders 2 is 3 months from launch, so it's definitely crunch time over there, and some of the DMO team might be working on the finishing touches.

I also wouldn't try and glean too much from the vigil website alone. Before blizzard consolidated all their games under battle.net, their company website was updated maybe once or twice a year, and never about a game that had yet to be released. Although, Vigils jobs section is significantly smaller than it was just recently, which means probably just had another round of hiring. 

What about them?