Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Star Wars: The Old Republic: Weekend Pass Announced

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129

Never tried Star Wars: The Old Republic? The newly announced Weekend Pass event may be just the excuse you've been looking for to try out SWTOR. From Thursday, March 15th at 12:01AM CST through Monday, March 19th at 2:00AM CST, players can try out all eight classes' origin stories and take part in the Esseles and Black Talon Flashpoints.

Check out all of the details on the Star Wars: The Old Republic site.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• WhiteLanternWhiteLantern Member RarePosts: 3,306

In before the doom and gloom.

Maybe.

I want a mmorpg where people have gone through misery, have gone through school stuff and actually have had sex even. -sagil

• PurutzilPurutzil Member UncommonPosts: 3,048

Don't they have the free trial thing already? Not quite sure what the point of this is... oh well I suppose we will see.

And no, not bothering with doom and gloom, I'll let others carry that part out.

• evictonevicton Member Posts: 398

Current free trial requires you to be invited by a subscriber, this allows anyone to try.

• IkedaIkeda Member RarePosts: 2,751

I would like to point out that this game is only in Month 4.

Does anyone else remember our discussions about doom & gloom on various games that did this THIS early?

(cough) FFXIV (cough)

• gilgamesh42gilgamesh42 Member Posts: 300

bring out game before its ready, piss off the entire community,lose vast majority of subbs,make free weekend which no one will bother with.      game failed everyone knew it would but its starwars so people got hyped anyway

• TruthXHurtsTruthXHurts Member UncommonPosts: 1,555

"Help us free weekend. You're our only hope."

Funny how they have to limit the content so that you don't beat the whole game in one weekend.

"I am not in a server with Gankers...THEY ARE IN A SERVER WITH ME!!!"

• Master10KMaster10K Member Posts: 3,065

First Trion lures me back for another free week with Rift and now Bioware will let me try out SW:TOR for a weekend.

Stop it you two! You cannot divert my attention too long, from Guild Wars 2. image

• rygard49rygard49 Member UncommonPosts: 973

I don't think it's ever a bad idea for a game, or any product for that matter, to offer a free trial. There are a lot of people with a healthy amount of skepticism who simply will not pay for something they're unsure they'll enjoy. A free trial alleviates that issue and gives the company an opportunity to increase sales.

Is this a tactic born of desperation? I don't think so. I just read a post that they have 1.7 million active subs.

• RefMinorRefMinor Member UncommonPosts: 3,452
    Originally posted by rygard49

I don't think it's ever a bad idea for a game, or any product for that matter, to offer a free trial. There are a lot of people with a healthy amount of skepticism who simply will not pay for something they're unsure they'll enjoy. A free trial alleviates that issue and gives them company an opportunity to increase sales.
    Is this a tactic born of desperation? I don't think so. I just read a post that they have 1.7 million active subs.

You won't find me criticising Bioware for lousy marketing, but obviously this is needed because sales are starting to dry up and it is clear retention will not be that great.
  • nyxiumnyxium Member UncommonPosts: 1,345

And so it begins.

• MMOarQQMMOarQQ Member Posts: 636

• ThorkuneThorkune Member UncommonPosts: 1,969

I don't think it's ever a bad idea for a game, or any product for that matter, to offer a free trial. There are a lot of people with a healthy amount of skepticism who simply will not pay for something they're unsure they'll enjoy. A free trial alleviates that issue and gives the company an opportunity to increase sales.

How dare you bring sound logic to this forum!

I agree with you by the way image

• montinmontin Member Posts: 218

I think its a great idea. I just wish I didn't waste my money on a preorder. I could have tried the game for free and realise that it wasn't for me. Notice I didn't say the game sucked big time, oops, I said it. Anyway at least there will be people able to try this game who didn't get suckered in preordering a hugely over hyped game. But I thank them for that because I'll never preorder a game again and hence will save myself loads of money :)

Anyway I digress. If you haven't tried this game then now would be a good time to give it a go. It does have its good points and you may just enjoy it.

• BarCrowBarCrow Member UncommonPosts: 2,195

Originally posted by gilgamesh42

bring out game before its ready, piss off the entire community,lose vast majority of subbs,make free weekend which no one will bother with.      game failed everyone knew it would but its starwars so people got hyped anyway

I'll even give you a full 30% of people may have reacted as you say. That is still hardly the "entire community" or even a "vast majority".  Game failed to you (as you and "everyone expected". speak in absolutes much?)and that's fine. 

Plenty of people that subscribed...in this case "vast majority" would fit....still like the game and look forward to more content and improvements.  Yes.people dropped off after the first 1-2 months like all mmos and it never had WOW numbers. So..who gives a shit. Oh ..yeah..you do.

As far as the trials they offer...its smart for any Developer to do this...especially these days when a few have been burned so somehow millions become cynical, embittered and skeptical of every little thing to the point of shit talking every game that launches. The trials let people judge for themselves which is all anyone can ask.

Really..if EA/Bioware were not still confident in the game..would they let people get a look at it before paying?

(especially since so many seem to think they are dishonorable thieves already)

• AntariousAntarious Member UncommonPosts: 2,834

*insert post about doom and gloom... while wishing my weekends started thursday morning as well*

Thursday, March 15th at 12:01AM CST   <-  Used to be good specials on Thursday night but the stupid company I worked for thought the weekend... started Friday after hours...

• CetraCetra Member UncommonPosts: 359

Really..if EA/Bioware were not still confident in the game..would they let people get a look at it before paying?

poor arguement. Many bad and f2p MMOs also have free trial or free play, doest tat mean the game is good? lol

Usually free trial for mmo is because the box sales and subscribers are dropping. Or the mmo has launched for some time like 1-2 years and box sales are quieting down.

• BarCrowBarCrow Member UncommonPosts: 2,195

Originally posted by Cetra

poor arguement. Many bad and f2p MMOs also have free trial or free play, doest tat mean the game is good? lol

Usually free trial for mmo is because the box sales and subscribers are dropping. Or the mmo has launched for some time like 1-2 years and box sales are quieting down.

Never said they had to be good...or more appropriately...others thought they were good...just that the developer still has confidence in their game. Obviously most developers probably are confident of their creations. It's expected. What I don't understand is how many posters seem to believe Bioware should just lay down and die because they don't like the game or revel in the fact that TOR lost subs after launch (but not nearly the "majority" as some claim). I even remember someone smack talking SWTOR because they thought Dragon Age 2 sucked. wtf?

• Badgered86Badgered86 Member UncommonPosts: 175

That there ship be sinking, and rightfully so.  I've never actually wanted a game to fail before SWTOR.  After being fed so many lies by Olhen and company they deserve to fail and fail hard.  If you need examples of what I'm talking about just Google (or YouTube) their statements and the huge amount of videos showing them to be the liars they are.

• OzmodanOzmodan Member EpicPosts: 9,726

Originally posted by bigsmiff

How dare you bring sound logic to this forum!

I agree with you by the way image

Depends how sound the logic is.  EA did not say at what point in time they had 1.7 million active subs.  My guess is they have less than that now.  Probably not desparation at this point, but I'll bet that the number of people buying the game now has dried up to a trickle.

Retention is going to be a problem soon unless they add a lot of new content.  I stil think that they will be merging servers before the end of the year if not sooner.

It is a pretty big download, not sure I want to do that for only 4 days of play.

• obiiobii Member UncommonPosts: 804

They are just targeting new customers.

The ones that wanted it , bought it... now they need fresh blood :)

• kevjardskevjards Member UncommonPosts: 1,452

gt admit i,m curious..seen has its in my system from beta and i kept the game updated i,m in..lets see if its has bad as most say it is.

• KakkzookaKakkzooka Member Posts: 591

Originally posted by obii

They are just targeting new customers.

The ones that wanted it , bought it... and now they want them to come back. :)

Fixed.

Re: SWTOR

"Remember, remember - Kakk says 'December.'"

• KabaalKabaal Member UncommonPosts: 3,042

Originally posted by kevjards

gt admit i,m curious..seen has its in my system from beta and i kept the game updated i,m in..lets see if its has bad as most say it is.

Not a whole lot has changed since the beta. They should have had the free weekend after 1.2 hits in a few weeks, would have made more sense for enticing people back as well as new subs.

• drbaltazardrbaltazar Member UncommonPosts: 7,856

Originally posted by Ozmodan

Originally posted by bigsmiff

Depends how sound the logic is.  EA did not say at what point in time they had 1.7 million active subs.  My guess is they have less than that now.  Probably not desparation at this point, but I'll bet that the number of people buying the game now has dried up to a trickle.

Retention is going to be a problem soon unless they add a lot of new content.  I stil think that they will be merging servers before the end of the year if not sooner.

It is a pretty big download, not sure I want to do that for only 4 days of play.

whatever!they do this now for one reason !cause most 60 day time card are coming to an end within 3 week max for everybody after that they cant do fuck all cause people will have left!this might instill a few to stay since population will be high this week-end!if people fresh come in great !but their goal is to keep those they have first!my card finish at the end of the month!most 60 days player are like this!and me i aint getting another 60 day for swtor ,i ll get another wow 60 days first!

• RelGnRelGn Member Posts: 494

Looking forward to when it goes free to play or better to say buy to play.Free to play models sux as well.

Lets see what are u going to do when gw 2 is out.

I bet all mmos will have to switch to buy to play mode cause not even free to play will be acceptable by players.The new era has come.

GG morpgs Gw2 is coming.