Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Star Wars: The Old Republic: Flashpoint - The Lost Island Hands On

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129

During last week's Star Wars: The Old Republic Guild Summit, our team was on hand to check out the new Lost Island Flashpoint just in time for its arrival on the public test server today. We've got the inside scoop about what you'll be facing along the way. Read on!

Our press play session began bright and early in the Bioware offices with a good long look at the new Lost Island Flashpoint that will arrive in the SWTOR public test server on March 13th. We were treated to well-equipped level 50 characters and split into teams of four. In fact, the dev team told us that we were actually over-equipped for the Flashpoint though I have to say that it sure didn’t feel that way after about two hours of dying to the MINI bosses throughout Lost Island! As if dying repeatedly wasn’t enough, our pain was compounded by the fact that we were playing on story mode, not even nightmare.

Read more Suzie Ford's Flashpoint - The Lost Island Hands On.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• frogtownfrogtown Member UncommonPosts: 59

lol at the guy with the flame thrower in the last pic.

• SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129

That's the Legacy System for you. ;)

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

• SomeOldBlokeSomeOldBloke Member UncommonPosts: 2,167

Great, they're putting stuff in the game that should have been there at launch, when are they going to put in the stuff that they should put in 3 months after launch? When are they going to fix simple things like tab targeting, getting kicked to the character selection screen when you enter a warzone, ghost missions in your log that you can't abanadon. Customer Service that actually answers your questions and not the automated response. To name a few.

• ElikalElikal Member UncommonPosts: 7,912

A Sith Assasin with a flame thrower is just so WRONG!

People don't ask questions to get answers - they ask questions to show how smart they are. - Dogbert

• WhiteLanternWhiteLantern Member RarePosts: 3,306

Originally posted by Elikal

Mind if I ask why? Other than the fact that a Sith Assasin likely doesn't need one.

I want a mmorpg where people have gone through misery, have gone through school stuff and actually have had sex even. -sagil

• ElikalElikal Member UncommonPosts: 7,912

Originally posted by WhiteLantern

Mind if I ask why? Other than the fact that a Sith Assasin likely doesn't need one.

Why would a Sith who can create lightning put a flamethrower on? That's like if Superman would attach a jetpack. Or Obi-Wan uses a blaster... ok can that. >.<

People don't ask questions to get answers - they ask questions to show how smart they are. - Dogbert

• TaiyohTaiyoh Member UncommonPosts: 48

Why do I have the feeling the Legacy system is also going to screw up several things? I mean come on.. A Sith Assassin has no reason to use a flamethrower. It just messes up the whole concept of the classes if you just make such skills available to every class. Before you know it, we'll have Smugglers zapping and force choking their enemies.

• rtekerrteker Member Posts: 11

if i could choose what skills all my characters can use via the legacy would be dual-wielding.  sure I don't really want it for my trooper, but since can't rechoose our AC, I want it for my scoudrel smuggler. 

• SamhaelSamhael Member RarePosts: 1,495

" At one point, our team took on five enemies consisting of two medics and two techmasters. It was a lot harder than you’d think."

Much like that math...  :P

• frogtownfrogtown Member UncommonPosts: 59

Originally posted by Samhael

" At one point, our team took on five enemies consisting of two medics and two techmasters. It was a lot harder than you’d think."

ROFLMAO!!!!!

• stealthbrstealthbr Member UncommonPosts: 1,054

I'm not a fan of the special Legacy abilities. It just looks awkward as hell.

• deadmanbelldeadmanbell Member UncommonPosts: 69

That you guys would cheer what should have been in game at launch is some serious bantha poo-do.

I do enjoy reading the positives post about the game. They make me realize that all I need to do is wave my hand and I can get people in the world to do my bidding. Kind of like they have you paying for this piece of junk. This is a jedi mind trick on an epic scale. Funny how Epic Scale and Epic Fail rhyme.

I hate what they have once again done to my beloved Starwars. So throw another log on the fire and let this thing burn.  Soon to come logs= Server merge, F2P, in game item store with Bioware points, Come back promotions like free trails for returning players, etc, etc....

"All that hate is going to burn you up son."  ... "It keeps me warm at night."

• McGamerMcGamer Member UncommonPosts: 1,073

It doesnt surprise me really in seeing what BW is doing to SWTOR. I say that because after seeing how they like to trash the canon in Force Unleashed, it became clear they will do anything to make a quick buck. 

There is a difference between making profit and being greedy.

• storm-dragonstorm-dragon Member Posts: 157

Still on the fence about the whole thing....but kinds think it takes the uniqueness away from your charcater.

This sword here at my side dont act the way it should
    Keeps calling me its master, but I feel like its slave
    Hauling me faster and faster to an early, early grave
    And it howls! it howls like hell!

• darkhalf357xdarkhalf357x Member UncommonPosts: 1,237

"All that hate is going to burn you up son."  ... "It keeps me warm at night."

WOLVERINES!!!!! =)

• CujoSWAoACujoSWAoA Member UncommonPosts: 1,781

Ah... shizzle.

Thats funny stuff.

• BlackbrrdBlackbrrd Member Posts: 811

To a non-swtor player this update actually looked quite good. It's obvious they are taking a shot at stopping the decline in subscribers.

• LentechLentech Member Posts: 119

Why would a Sith who can create lightning put a flamethrower on? That's like if Superman would attach a jetpack. Or Obi-Wan uses a blaster... ok can that. >.<

Hate to stomp ur taco, but obi-wan did use a blaster in the movie...

• JerlerJerler Member Posts: 5
    Superman also has used jetboots... Just saying...
  • Mordred1Mordred1 Member UncommonPosts: 84

Look! A new dungeon! Will there be pandas too?

• SanguinelustSanguinelust Member UncommonPosts: 812

Originally posted by frogtown

ROFLMAO!!!!!

I disagree, I read it as I think it is intended meaning that within the 5 man group there were 4 healing classes. 

• DeeweDeewe Member UncommonPosts: 1,980

Supposedly classes were designed to be iconic and quite separated from each others. So much that BioWare keeps refusing implementing AC respecs because they are different classes.

Thing is apart the class story, what truly diffenciates the classes is their epic skills.

Now the devs blur the frontieer by allowing other classes to use these skills from time to time. It might be a fun concept but it comes at a cost: aleniating players that are more attached to a certain vision of SW. Actually the devs tinks the cool factor will compensate the issue. 

They did the same with the space sim: they knew they would not please the space sim fans.

And the Jedi in Huttball: lore breaking for some users

And finally the same faction vs same faction: not helping players feeling they belong to a specific faction nor thinking the 2 factions are that opposed in the end.

Well in some ways it reminds me the NGE: thinking you're gaining more than what you're going to loose. In the end they are certain of one thing: alienating some players. I ask this question: is it worth it?

IMHO not as long as they did not use all other tools and enhancements they have at their disposal. Which they are really far from doing now.

• claude1864claude1864 Member Posts: 2

WHat i dont understand is how these magazines or praising Bioware for all this 1.2 stuff . WHen there are more important issues tha need to be takien care of. For one they need to fix the problem with people getting kicked out of the Alderaan civil war warzone because the speeders wont spawn. number 2 there are 2 classes that are way overpowered . they know this but have failed to fix it. 3  swtor uses memory incorrectly which causes problems on alot of machines. 4 they waste time and money on crap like making a word to replce the word darth on french servers. I dont care if your a little grey alien from Sirius B. If youve seen star wars you know what darth is, no matter what language you speak.

• FrodoFraginsFrodoFragins Member EpicPosts: 5,898

Not nearly as bad as a non force user with the force choke ...

• William12William12 Member Posts: 680

Originally posted by FrodoFragins

Not nearly as bad as a non force user with the force choke ...

Except in several occasions your typical non force user has force abilities maybe not just as good as a jedi or sith, but they have had them just like Luke uses a blaster and obi wan.   All these claims about the lore and blah blah are BS Force users have used blasters and non force weapons in dam near every movie and every book.