Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Rift: GDC 1.8 Preview

2»

Comments

• AlyvianAlyvian Member Posts: 342

Originally posted by Superduper69

Originally posted by Runtzz

More end game dungeons..sigh. A game called RIFT is not about rifts anymore and i suspect never will be.

You obviously missed the last patch where they added more rift raids and invasions [mod edit]

I am talking about Rifts as being main focus of the game and not the raiding. Can you be really honest and tell me that Rift is still about rifts?

it never was just about rifts, but you can get damn near endgame by just rift raiding, it only got named "rift" cause it is a unique feature no other game has (which they dont)

• daltaniousdaltanious Member UncommonPosts: 2,381

For now I'm completely sucked in by swtor. When I will need break or have leveled all alts to max, I'm sure back to Rift. Then pandas come. :-) And then cycle repeat. :-)

• Superduper69Superduper69 Member Posts: 363

Originally posted by Alyvian

it never was just about rifts, but you can get damn near endgame by just rift raiding, it only got named "rift" cause it is a unique feature no other game has (which they dont)

When Trion began revealing Rift it was heavely advertised on basis of dynamic events aka Rifts. The focus changed later on because they wanted to beat WOW and thus end game is all focused on raiding and not rifts.

• AkulasAkulas Member RarePosts: 3,004

IA seem random and kind of get in the way of the random event thingies when you're doing it but it's good having them. Only been playing for less than a month and see new people joining up all the time. Got an offensive warrior (champion?) and a chloro mage since I see pepole always complaining about no healers in the group. Only problem is that the game doens't offer anything which hasn't already been done before but it's still fun and gets lots of updates.

This isn't a signature, you just think it is.

• PuremallacePuremallace Member Posts: 1,856

Anyone on this site can label me super Trion fanboi with a serious hardon for this dev, but I do agree with him. As a dev you can not say you are the most dynamic dev ever and have this sense of community when they can not pick a direction.

Right now we have this tier 3 raid and all this mention of new instanced content + trade skills and yes I am excited. I am also a realist. I realize I probably will not see the inside of Infernal or Maelforge for that matter probably until sometime in 2013 and I am in a 5/11 HK guild.

They are not even attempting to add a new Planar set on par with Hk gear, there is no daily raid rift for the tier 2 stuff, and the price for tier 1 raid planar rift gear take roughly 7+ weeks of grinding Rifts. One thing Guild Wars 2 will do to this genre that is long over due is give a shock to these hardcore "raid or die" devs that are out there.

I mean the raiding playerbase is even smaller then that of WoW's and Blizzard came around to the idea that it is probably a bad idea to piss off the other 70% who are casuals. I am not saying nerf the content, but you do have these Rift things that are being completely neglected right now.

• xKingdomxxKingdomx Member UncommonPosts: 1,541

More end game dungeons..sigh. A game called RIFT is not about rifts anymore and i suspect never will be.

You obviously missed the last patch where they added more rift raids and invasions [mod edit]

I am talking about Rifts as being main focus of the game and not the raiding. Can you be really honest and tell me that Rift is still about rifts?

The game should've been called Planes of Telera or something, rifts is a very small part of the game. I loved the zone invasion, wished they did more with it. It was a persisent group raiding content, instead of all these instanced content.

How much WoW could a WoWhater hate, if a WoWhater could hate WoW?
    As much WoW as a WoWhater would, if a WoWhater could hate WoW.

• AlyvianAlyvian Member Posts: 342

Originally posted by Puremallace

Anyone on this site can label me super Trion fanboi with a serious hardon for this dev, but I do agree with him. As a dev you can not say you are the most dynamic dev ever and have this sense of community when they can not pick a direction.

Right now we have this tier 3 raid and all this mention of new instanced content + trade skills and yes I am excited. I am also a realist. I realize I probably will not see the inside of Infernal or Maelforge for that matter probably until sometime in 2013 and I am in a 5/11 HK guild.

They are not even attempting to add a new Planar set on par with Hk gear, there is no daily raid rift for the tier 2 stuff, and the price for tier 1 raid planar rift gear take roughly 7+ weeks of grinding Rifts. One thing Guild Wars 2 will do to this genre that is long over due is give a shock to these hardcore "raid or die" devs that are out there.

I mean the raiding playerbase is even smaller then that of WoW's and Blizzard came around to the idea that it is probably a bad idea to piss off the other 70% who are casuals. I am not saying nerf the content, but you do have these Rift things that are being completely neglected right now.

sodding quote, anyway, ya can get nearly on par gear through the ember isle raid rifts, you just can not buy it YET. Next

• ElethonElethon Member UncommonPosts: 138

I've enjoyed this game every time I go back, just wish I could get better FPS with my $2k machine.

• Superduper69Superduper69 Member Posts: 363

sodding quote, anyway, ya can get nearly on par gear through the ember isle raid rifts, you just can not buy it YET. Next

No you can not, its not even close to end game gear. And even if it was 'nearly on par' just proves what i stated earlier that Rift is more about end game raiding than dynamic events.

• illspawnillspawn Member UncommonPosts: 81

I look forward to 1.8 and all that it brings. I have yet to run out of things to do in the game and I have played since release. There are so many different things to do in the game that it is hard to do finish it all. I play about 10 hours a week when possible.

I am not sure why people are having problems with their FPS I have a GTX 275 and have no problems literally. However, the rest of my system is higher end and I have found that the game is more CPU dependent than one would think. So if you got a cheap processor that may be the difference and I have seen computers that cost 2k have cheap processors. If you can get an I7 quadcore and overclock it to 4.0ghz, watercooled of course. Watercooling is cheap nowdays and easy. My point is that it probably isn't a graphics card issue as being mine is pretty old but a matter of the processor and of course bump up the RAM (or memory) never hurts.

• kariliarekariliare Member UncommonPosts: 1

is a funny game. And the pvp is good. And trion add more things in the last year

• rojoArcueidrojoArcueid Member EpicPosts: 10,722

guild taverns. Every mmo should have those. i like it

• ThamorisThamoris Member UncommonPosts: 686

I played Rift hard for 10 months. I had high hopes for this game. It was ok, first time leveling through was fun...second time, meh...third time, I gave up.

The end game is just a grind for better and better gear. Not my idea of fun. I enjoy the journey more than the end game.

Rift needs more non-raid content. Housing, crafting, building, and leveling content.

Not everyone plays games for thrills, some play to relax....usually your older people, the ones with the money...we get enough thrills in real life and play games to relax.

I'm playing Age of Conan now and loving it.

Lots of alt play, blood and gore, great graphics, unique combat...only thing it misses is a decent crafting game, which is in the works as we speak.

I keep my on Rift though. I could return if they add in more mid game content. I'm not holding my breath though. Seems to me they are going the way of WoW and trying to make players chase that end game carrot.

• herculeshercules Member UncommonPosts: 4,924
    Rift might be a clone but its taking updates to a new level.keep up the grand job.
  • RuntzzRuntzz Member UncommonPosts: 11

Yes I can really be honest and tell you that Rift is still about rifts. I was wrong about it being the last patch it was 1.6 Ember Isle was released. Back to the question. 

If you follow the story line all the raids and dungeons are based off rifts. The mobs and creatures you fight in the dungeons came from the rifts that started spawning in telara. Greenscale is a god that came from the life plane. Alsbeth is Regulos's minion and Regulos is the god of the death plane. Hammerknell Akylios is the god of the water plane. Wether you you want to believe it or not the game is always been based around rifts. I know they haven't done much with the invasion system, but the player base is what made them change the direction not enough people were participating in the game. A lot of them were focused on getting to 50 and raiding skipping all the rift events, but in 1.6 they did bring a lot back to this system for the casual player by introducing the Ember Isle events and new planar gear you could buy from a vendor that you need the rift system currency.

• Stimos8Stimos8 Member UncommonPosts: 163

Your all forgetting one thing here, whether rift is supposed to be mainly about rifts or not does not matter, what matters here is that there will be a raid in a volcano... omg

I personally have no idea why people are still playing games like wow and tor when theres rift out, but oh well.