Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Guild Wars 2: Collector's Edition Revealed

Comments

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • MagnetiaMagnetia Member UncommonPosts: 1,015

Originally posted by Superduper69

Originally posted by Magnetia

Normal edition thanks. I'll be fine without the cash shop items :P That elite probably won't be OP. Pfft mistfire wolf. 

Mini rytlock would be nice but meh.

I do like the look of the cash shop items though. They are selling convenience as I suspected. You can argue that it's power all you want but it's nothing that can't be equaled with playtime. 

Mostly anything that you see in cash shops can be equaled with play time but that doesn't mean it is OK to do so.

I don't find it as disruptive as being able to obtain top end gear for money.

A mech arena shooter game I played some time ago had one of the best mech shooty/bashy combat I'd ever played for a free game. Customization was reasonably limited but still provided an ample amount of choices between weapons/components. I reached the top tier of gear for this game but I saw too many players with shop gear which was more powerful than anything I could save up for. I stopped playing soon after that. If they had only sold more variety instead of power I think the game could have become more successful. Wish I could remember the name though.

Last I heard the game shut down. 

Play for fun. Play to win. Play for perfection. Play with friends. Play in another world. Why do you play?

• senti02senti02 Member UncommonPosts: 96

sorry if someone already ask this question..its too many to read all the reply..my question is..if you preorder the physical items do you get the digital item aswell? i want to have both :D

• GoldenArrowGoldenArrow Member UncommonPosts: 1,186

Originally posted by AquaKira

150dollars = 114euros. Let's hope they don't charge 150euros for it! Eventhough I will still buy it at 150euros anyway :) A cd beats listening to youtube. And the frame with art is also very nice!

114€ would definately be reasonable, I'm unsure if I'm willing to pay the 150€ for it though Oo

• Superduper69Superduper69 Member Posts: 363

Normal edition thanks. I'll be fine without the cash shop items :P That elite probably won't be OP. Pfft mistfire wolf. 

I do like the look of the cash shop items though. They are selling convenience as I suspected. You can argue that it's power all you want but it's nothing that can't be equaled with playtime. 

Mostly anything that you see in cash shops can be equaled with play time but that doesn't mean it is OK to do so.

I don't find it as disruptive as being able to obtain top end gear for money.

A mech arena shooter game I played some time ago had one of the best mech shooty/bashy combat I'd ever played for a free game. Customization was reasonably limited but still provided an ample amount of choices between weapons/components. I reached the top tier of gear for this game but I saw too many players with shop gear which was more powerful than anything I could save up for. I stopped playing soon after that. If they had only sold more variety instead of power I think the game could have become more successful. Wish I could remember the name though.

Last I heard the game shut down. 

Maybe but i was just talking about gaining items in cash shop through spending more time in game. But we know what option people usually go for.

• korent1991korent1991 Member UncommonPosts: 1,364

Originally posted by Kaocan

Originally posted by kaiser3282

Originally posted by Loke666

Anyone have the price on the DE and DD versions yet? I sure as hell hope I'm not going to be paying $49 for a digital copy when I used to spend that for a box with a CD.

$60 and $80.

http://massively.joystiq.com/2012/03/13/guild-wars-2-pre-purchase-details-announced/

They are serious?? I'm gonna get soaked a minimum of $60 just to have the right to download the game off the net? They are charging more for the digital than anyone else has in history with no publishing backend expenses. Sorry, $60 and $80 is just a plain rip-off for a digital download. And the extra $20 for the DD, and I get a couple 'less-than' 5 day cash shop style trinkets that will be gone in the first week of play? Seriously?!?!?!

I'm sorry, I have enough pocket cash to drop for 5 CE right now if I thought it was worth the money, but I am just not seeing anything but greed on thier end for these 3 versions. I can't believe I'm the only one who sees this.

This thread amuses me. $60 has become pretty standard nowadays for most games both MMOs and console games, sometimes as much as $70. As for the the rest.... you say you dont feel its worth the extra $ for the special versions, so why exactly are you and so many others freaking out? Youve made it quite clear that you understand you dont HAVE to buy those versions and you can just get the normal version without all that extra stuff you dont find appealing. So why does it even matter what the cost of those things is? How exactly did you come to the conclusion that offering 3 different versions of the same product at different costs and with different optional benefits, and allowing you to decided wether you want to spend extra money or not is worth it to you is greedy?

Oh yeah and then theres the whole NO SUBSCRIPTION thing. Man that just screams greed right there. Allowing people to play forever for free. How dare they. They should be benevolent and charge us $15 per month like everyone else.

Yeah nevermind, I guess I will give up on this crowd here and go with the guy at the start of the thread who said 'sheep'. No matter what they price thier product at, no matter how gimicky the package content, most of you will pay it blindly because its GW2 and you have been wanting it for at least a year now. They should have doubled the price, I'm sure they could have gotten more than half of you to jump on it even at $300. 

Continue on with your praise of your chosen game, I will be buying this game, but not on a preorder with these prices. You remember this though, all those previous games everyone bitched about the company soaking for initial box sales. You are getting exactly that right here, only you're being charged more up front with less on the back end. Unless you count being soaked for the next boxes initial sales as your back end. (And yes I did play GW1, and I have all the expansions on it, and no you didnt' get updates in the middle, you paid for them every expansion box when you bought it.) There wont be any new dungeons, zones, weapons and armor added in patch 1.2 for GW2, those will be included in that next box (sorry, digital download) you have to pay another $49 for in 6 months.

lol... so you're saying if someone is a fan of this company and the game, he's labeled as an idiot because he wants to buy the CE for 149.99 $ (SWTOR had the same prices [I'm mentioning SWTOR because it was the last mmorpg which came out]) ? 

Prices for boxes are around 60-80$ for almost every new game. It seemed much when I first saw SWTOR but then I looked at other prices and saw it's kinda the same... Besides the CE which was 149.99 as well... 

So you can pretend there's cheaper AAA games out there, but there isn't (new AAA games)...

About you saying there wasn't anything added in the between, it was added, mostly new main quests, dungeons, new item system, green items, and stuff like that... But new content was mainly added trough expansions as you said, but when it was added it was HUGE!... 

What do you have to say about WOW then? It adds new content every 1 - 2 years in form of expansion and it's not even finished. We all remember how they did TBC and how they were gradually adding bosses and stuff to the black temple and then they "released" a new dungeon (which was ready by the time they released TBC) just so it would seem like they're doing something for the monthly fee you pay them... And let's not forget the overpriced microtransactions they offered... So when you sum it up it turns out to be an awfully big amount of money and you're not aware of it untill you actually start thinking about it...

"Happiness is not a destination. It is a method of life."
    -------------------------------

• PivotelitePivotelite Member UncommonPosts: 2,145

Originally posted by bigsmiff

I think this is hilarious. The same ones calling SWTOR CE fans sheep are praising the GW2 CE. You will regret paying that much for it...trust me on that. SWTOR CE was my first CE ever and it will be my last since it wasn't worth it. I love the game, but I can't justify my $150.00 purchase.

It's been a double standard in GW2 for everything. 

Cash shop, no mounts instead you port everywhere and no known endgame are all okay when it comes to GW2.

• korent1991korent1991 Member UncommonPosts: 1,364

Originally posted by senti02

sorry if someone already ask this question..its too many to read all the reply..my question is..if you preorder the physical items do you get the digital item aswell? i want to have both :D

depends on what edition you want to buy, but if you're talking about CE then yes... you get them both..

"Happiness is not a destination. It is a method of life."
    -------------------------------

• Superduper69Superduper69 Member Posts: 363

Originally posted by Pivotelite

I think this is hilarious. The same ones calling SWTOR CE fans sheep are praising the GW2 CE. You will regret paying that much for it...trust me on that. SWTOR CE was my first CE ever and it will be my last since it wasn't worth it. I love the game, but I can't justify my $150.00 purchase.

Cash shop, no mounts instead you port everywhere and no known endgame are all okay when it comes to GW2.

Double standards indeed but the best excuse for it is that it is..B2P. 

• QSatuQSatu Member UncommonPosts: 1,796

Originally posted by Methos12

Originally posted by Methos12

Are you new to the whole "digital games" thing or something? Although yes, DE is too expensive. Extra $20 for items with one-shot or limited use? Excessive.

No, not new to digital games at all, I have close to 75 of them on my machine at home right now. I have bought some games, with 8-10 add-ons that ran me less than the DE for this game. I have no problem with digital downloaded games, I pref them actually. What I do not prefer is a company asking for 25-35% more on thier price for a digital download than other charge for new release box set. There is no reason at all a digital download should EVER cost more than a physical box does, they simply have no backend publishing expenses comparetively. Now a $39 and $49 digital set maybe, this has been the going rate on most games in the past year, $59 and $79 is just greedy. You dont see digital versions of books costing more than the print version do you? Digital Music costing more than the CD versions?? So why now do we have an MMO that costs more ont he digital than a box set does?

There is apparently a good reason  why this is the way it is - retailers refusing to stock a particular game if digital copies are considerably cheaper. I imagine retail version of GW2 is going to cost $60 as well, if that's your worry about digital being more expensive.

This is the truth. retailers want to sell games too so devs/publishers are not allowed to sell digital copies for less than retailers. It sucks but this is how it is =/

• evilastroevilastro Member Posts: 4,270

And yes I did play GW1, and I have all the expansions on it, and no you didnt' get updates in the middle, you paid for them every expansion box when you bought it. There wont be any new dungeons, zones, weapons and armor added in patch 1.2 for GW2, those will be included in that next box (sorry, digital download) you have to pay another $49 for in 6 months.

Haha what? Clearly you dont remember Sorrows Furnace and green items, the Shiverpeak storyline expansion, introduction of the Battle Istles, Embark Beach, hard modes, the added storyline quests(Hearts of the North, Winds of Change etc), holiday events, constant balancing patches.... none of that came with an expansion, they were free updates.

Theres been a lot of development for a game that charges no monthly fee. And $50 every 6 months for a tonne of new content is better than $15 a month (with what... a new zone every 2-3 months if you are lucky?) and $50 a year for a new expansion like lots of other games do (ie: Sony with EQ2).

im talking about the edition on op posted..do i get the digital aswell with 149?

• PivotelitePivotelite Member UncommonPosts: 2,145

Originally posted by korent1991

Yeah nevermind, I guess I will give up on this crowd here and go with the guy at the start of the thread who said 'sheep'. No matter what they price thier product at, no matter how gimicky the package content, most of you will pay it blindly because its GW2 and you have been wanting it for at least a year now. They should have doubled the price, I'm sure they could have gotten more than half of you to jump on it even at $300. 

Continue on with your praise of your chosen game, I will be buying this game, but not on a preorder with these prices. You remember this though, all those previous games everyone bitched about the company soaking for initial box sales. You are getting exactly that right here, only you're being charged more up front with less on the back end. Unless you count being soaked for the next boxes initial sales as your back end. (And yes I did play GW1, and I have all the expansions on it, and no you didnt' get updates in the middle, you paid for them every expansion box when you bought it.) There wont be any new dungeons, zones, weapons and armor added in patch 1.2 for GW2, those will be included in that next box (sorry, digital download) you have to pay another $49 for in 6 months.

lol... so you're saying if someone is a fan of this company and the game, he's labeled as an idiot because he wants to buy the CE for 149.99 $ (SWTOR had the same prices [I'm mentioning SWTOR because it was the last mmorpg which came out]) ? 

Prices for boxes are around 60-80$ for almost every new game. It seemed much when I first saw SWTOR but then I looked at other prices and saw it's kinda the same... Besides the CE which was 149.99 as well... 

So you can pretend there's cheaper AAA games out there, but there isn't (new AAA games)...

About you saying there wasn't anything added in the between, it was added, mostly new main quests. But new content was added trough expansions as you said... 

TERA is a AAA MMO releasing with $49.99 digital or retail normal version. $59.99 digital CE and $79.99 physical CE.

TERAs sub fee goes as low as $8.95 a month depending how long you sub for and expansions/patches have all been free in Korea and no indication they won't be here, no indication of a cash shop either.

So no, not every AAA MMO has ridiculous pricing like SW:TOR.

• MagnetiaMagnetia Member UncommonPosts: 1,015

Maybe but i was just talking about gaining items in cash shop through spending more time in game. But we know what option people usually go for.

Depends how rich you feel that week lol. Ooh these cash shops are evil! EVIL! hahaha

Can't wait to play this! *drool*

Play for fun. Play to win. Play for perfection. Play with friends. Play in another world. Why do you play?

• ThorkuneThorkune Member UncommonPosts: 1,969

3 reasons why I won't be playing it.

• kaiser3282kaiser3282 Member UncommonPosts: 2,759

What is "not ok" about it though?

Do you have tons of free time to spend playing the game maybe due to lack of work, part time work, being a student etc? Great for you.

Do you perhaps not have as much free time as you would like to invest in the game due to facing real world responsibilities like getting a good job, taking care of your family, etc but due to keeping your real life together have a bit of extra money to spend on whatever pleases you? Great for you too.

Maybe youre a mix of both. Still great for you.

You see there are different types of people in the world. Not everyone is a hardcore gamer with nothing else to do with their time. Sometimes its preferrable for them to spend the extra $ rather than the extra time it takes to get certain things. Does that somehow make them bad? If you think so.... what were the last things you spent money on? Maybe some food, some gas, paid someone to perform a service for you like some landscaping, pest extermination, babysitting, etc. Maybe even something as simple as buying some stamps. Well, i guess that makes anyone who does those things bad too. After all we could all cook our own food (better yet, go raise your own cattle and butcher them yourself to get your own meat), or cut our own grass, or hell why dont we all hand deliver our own letters to people instead of using the post office or even better emails over the internet (paid service). After all, its not fair that some people have the money to pay for those things because they earn a living instead of taking the time to do all these things themselves, right?

Think about it next time you're taking a nice long  walk anywhere you have to go, because i know youre not driving there. That would be unfair because some people have the time to walk places but dont have the money for a car or gas, so you must automatically walk like they do.

• ThorkuneThorkune Member UncommonPosts: 1,969

B2P always equals good right?

Originally posted by korent1991

Originally posted by senti02

depends on what edition you want to buy, but if you're talking about CE then yes... you get them both..

yes the CE that op posted..includes the digital items?

• AIMonsterAIMonster Member UncommonPosts: 2,059

Originally posted by ProfRed

Originally posted by Loke666

Originally posted by clankyasp

Its pay2win officially, you can buy a combat pet with more $$, cant wait to see what other epic gears are inside the cash shop.

Only if it is unbalanced. It takes the elite skill slot for you so the question is if it is better than other elite  skills or not. I am not so sure it is.

Yeah likely it will be a big help in the early game since it can take some time to get your first elite skill.  You can only equip 1.  Each class has a number of them and they are what you build your loadout around for the most part.  It is doubtful once you start getting class specific ones you would ever use this, but early in the game it could help.

Really not worried about this one skill.  I am a bit worried that they are packaging a skill like this.  IMO all skills should be in game and open to all and have nothing to do with any preorder/bonus/cash shop/etc.

You can't equip an elite skill till level 35 or somewhere around there.  I assume this restriction applies to the wolf.

It could offer an advantage in that you don't have to worry about having skill points for the elite skill (assuming the Mistwolf doesn't cost skill points to unlock also) which are quite expensive and you can invest in having a better variety of utility skills instead.

I doubt the Wolf will be any more powerful than your elite skills.  I think profession specific elites will generally be more powerful than racials which will be probably be more powerful or as powerful as the wolf.  It's probably just for flavor as others said.  Still we'd have to see it in action and compare it to other elite skills first.

@People complaining about the prices:

$60 isn't unusual anymore, even for a digital download.  Most new triple A titles are now that price.  For example right now Steam has Modern Warfare 3, Skyrim, and Kingdoms of Amalur on their daily top seller list all priced at $59.99.

+$20 for the digital incentives isn't so bad either.  You get an elite skill that hopefully is not as practical or as practical as other elites, a vanity pet, and 3 convenience items.  Keep in mind Blizzard sells vanity pets for $10 too and other vanity items for more.  The skill + vanity pet could be worth $20 alone in some people's opinions.  The convenience items are a nice little bonus all things considered and having a portable bank could save some valuable time for a power gamer even if it's only for 5 days.  It could certainly be a better value, but it doesn't scream ripoff.

I do think $150 for the CE is absurd.  Definitely would be no where near that price if they didn't include the figurine. 

• QSatuQSatu Member UncommonPosts: 1,796

3 reasons why I won't be playing it.

We know  how end game will looklike. but some ppl prefer to stay ignorant. Or are you one of those ppl who think end game = raids. Well then you can go and play one of hundreds raid centric mmos.

No mounts is a design decision. You might not like it but there are reasons why they didn't include them. It's the same reasons GW1 didn't have them.

Cash shop is in p2p game too nowadays. We all knew there will be one. This is how it works with mmos now.

So go and play you mmo without cash shop and with raids and mounts. have fun.

• kaiser3282kaiser3282 Member UncommonPosts: 2,759

B2P always equals good right?

Name me 5 B2P MMOs that are known for being dominated by item malls

Now name me 5 failed subscription based MMOs

Now 5 succesful subscription based MMOs that also added in item malls on top fo their subscriptions

Now name me 5 succesful MMOs that never went the cash shop route.

Bet it was a lot easier to do 2 and 3 than it was 1 and 4.

Sorry were you trying to make some sort of point that B2P isnt a good thing in comparison to subscriptions?

• beowulf2014beowulf2014 Member UncommonPosts: 72

Not really sure what all the fuss is about on this. the CE is $150. So what? If you can not afford it, don't buy that. If you want it, save for it. If you can afford it but think it's to expensive, don't buy it and speak with your wallet. Whining on the forums about the price does what?

Hell, I bought 2 CE's for SWTOR for the wife and I and that game is a joke, I think I'll get 2 CE's for this since it's B2P and looking good.

• ShadanwolfShadanwolf Member UncommonPosts: 2,392

I cannot remember when I have been happy after 3 months with a new mmog.(SWTOR)being the latest that I felt ripped off. So now...I will be paying the minimum price.And IMO $60 isn't cheap.

• sibs4455sibs4455 Member UncommonPosts: 369

What!, no 3 Disco Balls to dance under?.

I too think that the ce is way overpriced, also it looks like we need to keep one eye on the cash shop too.

• diabisdiabis Member Posts: 35

Read further, they will offer a Digital Collector all thing digital early access an Beta Events and all the digital items for 79.00, 59.00 digital will get a Hero item and early access.  It was in their Press release.

Look for the Rose with the Thorn.