Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Rift: GDC 1.8 Preview

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129

During the annual Game Developer's Conference last week, we caught up with the Rift development team to get the inside scoop about the forthcoming 1.8 update. See what we discovered in this exclusive preview. Read on!

We got to sit down with the creators of RIFT at GDC for a presentation and update on the game. RIFT is now at its one year anniversary and the game continues to innovate with its amazing updates and tweaks to game play. When people say an MMO is a marathon not a sprint, RIFT is the game that can be used as the example. It continues to get better as it grows and more content and game mechanics are added to the game with each update. Players are listened to and have an impact on changes, and RIFT is proving how well it runs a live service.

Read more Garrett Fuller's Rift: GDC 1.8 Preview.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• Superduper69Superduper69 Member Posts: 363

More end game dungeons..sigh. A game called RIFT is not about rifts anymore and i suspect never will be.

• EmrendilEmrendil Member Posts: 199

Nice, I just resubbed recently for a month.

• RuntzzRuntzz Member UncommonPosts: 11

Originally posted by Superduper69

More end game dungeons..sigh. A game called RIFT is not about rifts anymore and i suspect never will be.

You obviously missed the last patch where they added more rift raids and invasions [mod edit]

• LeucentLeucent Member Posts: 2,371

I don t play Rift atm, but I have to say I m impressed with what they ve added and are adding. Fishing :) is one I love in any game. IA seem cool, how are they, do they add some log in do some and you feel like you ve accomplished something? Also are they adding more Chronicles in the future. My wife and I have an active sub for EQ2 have for years, but are looking at this as a second MMO.

• marz.at.playmarz.at.play Member UncommonPosts: 912

Great game, loving it. Resubbed and haven't looked back. Will continue the sub even when GW2 comes out.

• adis5005adis5005 Member UncommonPosts: 46

Might actually resub for this game, it's pretty great and gets frequent updates, what more could you want.

• AlyvianAlyvian Member Posts: 342

rainbow ponies

• PuremallacePuremallace Member Posts: 1,856

Nice scoop. There are like 4 things in there even I did not know about. We never got real details about the Looking for Guild tool and this also details what the leader boards will track.

This article did leave out Fishing(obvious), Trapping(PokeRift), and Survivability(tents and bandages while leveling)

• teakboisteakbois Member Posts: 2,154

Originally posted by Runtzz

You obviously missed the last patch where they added more rift raids and invasions [mod edit]

None of this stuff was in the last patch, but you both are right.  Rift has gone too far away from the actual Rifts but it hasnt completely ignored them.

Also, this patch has no dungeon, its a full raid  Its been 9 months since the last full (20 man) raid was released so its not like they have been focusing on this type of content very much.  Its greatly needed.

• fivorothfivoroth Member UncommonPosts: 3,916

Some very interesting features they have there - Looking for guild tool, Secondary professions, leaderbords, guild taverns and birthday parties.

What I like about rift is that they add new systems all the time unlike other MMOs which just give you yet another dungeon/raid. They have added tons of new features in the game.

Mission in life: Vanquish all MMORPG.com trolls - especially TESO, WOW and GW2 trolls.

• GajariGajari Member Posts: 984

I like these devs and how they run things. Unfortunately, the game just isn't all that great. Especially in character design and animations. So boring.

I still can't believe that this game has taken off so well and so many people actually enjoy it, but good for them. I have a feeling a lot of it has to do with the way the devs are going about things. They do seem very enthusiastic and interested in fun little side stuff and not just dangling that carrot on a stick just far enough out of reach to keep people from unsubscribing.

• Matt_UKMatt_UK Member Posts: 420

Agreed. The one thing making me unsubscribe and stay away is the endgame dungeon grind.

• RazeeksterRazeekster Member UncommonPosts: 2,591

Originally posted by teakbois

None of this stuff was in the last patch, but you both are right.  Rift has gone too far away from the actual Rifts but it hasnt completely ignored them.

Also, this patch has no dungeon, its a full raid  Its been 9 months since the last full (20 man) raid was released so its not like they have been focusing on this type of content very much.  Its greatly needed.

RIFT is probably moving away a bit from the actual rifts because other mmos are copying. WoW, and now TERA is doing it too, just with different looking animations.

Smile

• AldersAlders Member RarePosts: 2,207

If you want difficult raids then Rift is for you.  I absolutely loved Hammerknell and have no doubts ID will be fantastic.  Hopefully players learned from the previous raid and ID does't break up as many guilds as HK did.

• NobleNerdNobleNerd Member UncommonPosts: 759

I recently left Rift and deleted my account information. I do have to say the dev do try to push out content and updates on a regular basis, but Rift just seems to be going the way of WoW and others. The rifts have very little impact if groups fail to defeat the invasions, they put in a mercenary system so factions have little to no meaning (half the time in pvp you are fighting your own faction even though the other faction is queued on your side). They have reduced leveling to a carebear level and you can autopilot most of it with little effort. Don't get me wrong the game can be fun to play I just lost interest in it due to these and many other issues with the game play.

• ZoeMcCloskeyZoeMcCloskey Member UncommonPosts: 1,372

I don't play Rift, only tried it during beta and a bit after.  But found it pretty polished and nice just not what I was wanting.

But I am impressed by how much they make new content and new stuff to keep it going and exciting.  I am looking forward to EoN even more now due to how much effort they put in Rift, makes me think it will end up a very good game :)

good job

• PuremallacePuremallace Member Posts: 1,856

Originally posted by Alders

If you want difficult raids then Rift is for you.  I absolutely loved Hammerknell and have no doubts ID will be fantastic.  Hopefully players learned from the previous raid and ID does't break up as many guilds as HK did.

HK was far too old school for some of these WoW guys. It was bugged on release true for some fights, but the amount of time lost added up to the same amount of time people lost being banned in WoW thanks to their bugs.

I expect ID to be intense. Hopefully they roll the chronicle out very fast, so people can atleast see it outside of youtube vids. I mean we just got actual Akylios nerfs maybe 7 months since HK was released, so they are not fans of nerfing lol

• aionixaionix Member UncommonPosts: 288

Originally posted by Gajari

I like these devs and how they run things. Unfortunately, the game just isn't all that great. Especially in character design and animations. So boring.

I still can't believe that this game has taken off so well and so many people actually enjoy it, but good for them. I have a feeling a lot of it has to do with the way the devs are going about things. They do seem very enthusiastic and interested in fun little side stuff and not just dangling that carrot on a stick just far enough out of reach to keep people from unsubscribing.

I defiently know what you mean.  RIFT isn't for everyone, but I personally love it because of the community feel the game has.  Its a much more friendly place to play than my experiences with WoW and TOR, but of course you'll always have the elites and asshats.  The devs are very vocal with the community, which is a huge deal for me.  They even use the best player guilds to essentially test their new content and recieve the best possible feedback before patch releases, along with the PTS.  Very smart if you ask me.

• Moaky07Moaky07 Member Posts: 2,096

The latest GameInformer magazine had a mini interview with Scott Hartsman in it.

Although I dont play Rift, nor did I stick with EQ2, I still gotta say that guy "gets it".  I watched the ex-wife be a slave to that game for 5 plus yrs.  Scott finds what his customers enjoy, and he continues to produce more.

I dont care if you play themeparks, sandboxes, or PB Cruncher in the 24th and a half century(Or is that Duck Dodgers?).....a game that kicks out quality content for their fans tends to keep them happy.

Asking Devs to make AAA sandbox titles is like trying to get fine dining on a McDonalds dollar menu budget.

• mesmerisemesmerise Member UncommonPosts: 200

Chuffed that MOX has found some new employment in Rift after helping to save Tyria.  It's always a shame to see a good golem go to a waste!

• dadante666dadante666 Member UncommonPosts: 402

is good see rift keep moving foward ,they do like they say from the begining and  more update to come

• clankyaspclankyasp Member Posts: 213

getting married is already there, how about making babies feature now?

• Superduper69Superduper69 Member Posts: 363

I am talking about Rifts as being main focus of the game and not the raiding. Can you be really honest and tell me that Rift is still about rifts?

• minime2minime2 Member Posts: 113

Are they still just catering to the pve crowd and ignoring us pvp'ers that is why i cancelled last year . Not seen anything related to pvp in 1.8 mentioned here anyone know if there is anything ?

• tachgbtachgb Member UncommonPosts: 791

RIFT sure is a pretty much loved MMO.