Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Diablo 3: No PvP at Launch

Comments

• ElderRatElderRat Member CommonPosts: 899

Originally posted by aesperus

Ouch, more bad news from Blizzard's end. Definitely not a good year for threequels. While I understand that PvP may not be a big deal for some, it should still raise concerns. Why? Because you are still paying the same price for less content (and possibly less quality) in a game you want to play. By giving in to this, you can expect to see this more in the future (and it will probably be worse each time) as you are basically reconfirming w/ the company that they can basically screw over the consumer however they please to get those quarterlies looking nice for their next board meeting.

Cutting PvP doesn't just mean there won't be PvP at launch, but it also means that they've had (all this time) resources devoted to a system they aren't using. It's a waste of resources they could've been using to make the parts you do care about better. Also, as some have already joked about a 'PvP patch at a later date' doesn't guaruntee that it will be free. And further more, name one game that has had a PvP patch, where the PvP was actually decent? This approach has always failed in the passed. A tacked on system is a tacked on system, and I have yet to see any company (even Blizzard) tack on a system and have it not feel like it was just thrown in there w/ no real thought.

Not to mention, that them cutting game features, yet keeping a cash shop, should make it pretty blatant what their business strategy is for this game. The economy may not be in a bubble atm, but it's also not declining anymore (at least not for america), that's not much of an excuse atm. Personally, I'm sick of the monetization angel that some of the larger game studios are pushing. It's basically an attempt to make consumers take their financial hits for them, paying more for less.

ok, though I am not concerned about PvP You have raised some good points.  Question,  you mentioned cash shop - what Dragon Age origin's style or something different. This is a single player/co-op game like Diablo II correct? Not a buy to play like GW?  A little concerne don how that operates. I was looking at D3 as a possible  for single player.. now am a bit concerned because I am not looking for a diablo mmo.

Currently bored with MMO's.

• syntax42syntax42 Member UncommonPosts: 1,378

My guess is this won't hurt Blizzard's bottom-line.  People who want to PvP will still buy the game so they can level up their characters.  The other 95% of us will be happy for an earlier release date.

• Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441

Originally posted by syntax42

My guess is this won't hurt Blizzard's bottom-line.  People who want to PvP will still buy the game so they can level up their characters.  The other 95% of us will be happy for an earlier release date.

I dunno, releasing a Diablo game unfinnished doesn't seems wise to me.

Blizzard policy have always been to release a game when it is ready, not to patch in important stuff later.

I smell Activision forcing them to release it too early. Another worrying thought if this will just be the PvP or if it is more stuff they plan to patch in.

• volttvoltt Member UncommonPosts: 432

personally been playing beta, love the changes made so far. Glad to see blizzard isnt just putting out diablo II with new skins.  Pvp not a biggy i can wait for that. I think it was a smart decision to release before pvp is properly fine tuned. People will bitch b/c its not there at launch, and people would bitch if it wasnt done properly if they did release pvp at launch. Ppl just plain old bitch everything by the sounds of it. Keep up the good work blizzard. Looking forward to this release

• Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441

Originally posted by voltt

personally been playing beta, love the changes made so far. Glad to see blizzard isnt just putting out diablo II with new skins.  Pvp not a biggy i can wait for that. I think it was a smart decision to release before pvp is properly fine tuned. People will bitch b/c its not there at launch, and people would bitch if it wasnt done properly if they did release pvp at launch. Ppl just plain old bitch everything by the sounds of it. Keep up the good work blizzard. Looking forward to this release

Yeah, people whine whine if it isn't in from launch or done poorly...

Still, the third alternative is to release the game complete from launch. Heck, people have been waiting for this game since they announced Blizzard North were working on it 2004, a month or 2 more to get it right wouldn't really be a biggie.

Blizzard have always said that they release a game when it is done, it is actually what made them the company they are today.

• mackdawg19mackdawg19 Member UncommonPosts: 842

I love how people are complaining about NO pvp at launch = doom. Remind me again how much PVP was in d1 or d2? Yeah, thats what I thought.The diablo series has always been and will always be at heart a single player/co-op dungeon crawler. This game doesn't need PVP at all. ANd honestly, I wish more MMORPG's would simply remove it. You cannot do open world PVP in a game because you have to many scenario's that make it almost pointless and chaotic which in the end is not fun. That is exactly why you get force into an instance like WoW and RIFT. Because there you can control it to a point. I mean even when WoW had Open world PVP, what happened? A clusterf$%# in Tarren Mill everyday to the point it impaired peoples questing and leveling. The only game that did PVP correctly was DaoC and even that was bad. The only reason it semi worked was because, wait for it.................. A THIRD FACTION. So who cares if Diablo 3 has no PVP at launch, it will still be a diablo game just like it always has been.

• sonicbrewsonicbrew Member UncommonPosts: 515

Originally posted by mackdawg19

I love how people are complaining about NO pvp at launch = doom. Remind me again how much PVP was in d1 or d2? Yeah, thats what I thought.The diablo series has always been and will always be at heart a single player/co-op dungeon crawler. This game doesn't need PVP at all. ANd honestly, I wish more MMORPG's would simply remove it. You cannot do open world PVP in a game because you have to many scenario's that make it almost pointless and chaotic which in the end is not fun. That is exactly why you get force into an instance like WoW and RIFT. Because there you can control it to a point. I mean even when WoW had Open world PVP, what happened? A clusterf$%# in Tarren Mill everyday to the point it impaired peoples questing and leveling. The only game that did PVP correctly was DaoC and even that was bad. The only reason it semi worked was because, wait for it.................. A THIRD FACTION. So who cares if Diablo 3 has no PVP at launch, it will still be a diablo game just like it always has been.

As this is by far one of my favorite ip'sof all time, I agree about the pvp whine and could care less. I am bored of the betaat this point and would like to actually play past the Skeleton King. However, DAOC had the best PvP and world RvR ever done to date pre-frontiers. However Jacobs had to screw that up too and lose the team behind it. As a 6+ year veteran in DAOC and tester, WAR was nothing like DAOC RvR. 

The only way MMO's are ever going to get back to solid PvP is to go back to the early DAOC model with 3 faction RvR. However, that is another discussion all together. Just release D3 Blizz. because the limited PvP in D2 even did nothing for me.

“Once the game is over, the king and the pawn go back in the same box.” ~ Italian proverb   

• harvest151harvest151 Member UncommonPosts: 217

"...delaying the whole game purely for PvP would just be punishing to everyone who’s waiting to enjoy the campaign and core solo/co-op content, all of which is just about complete."

Dude. It's been like 20 years. You honestly think a few  months are gonna make a flying fuck to anyone at this point?  This might be one of the funniest things I've read so far this week.  Guess you're so unhappy about it you and the 4 genetically enhanced hampsters designing this game still cant crap out a release date with a bottle of exlax and a free burrito dinner.

This isnt even an mmo, why is this news even on here?

• Clypto75Clypto75 Member UncommonPosts: 70

I may be in the minority but I did care about the PvP in Diablo 2 and its really the only reason I kept playing for so long. To get powerful so I could dominate! It was fun to play with builds in Pvp, it kept me doing my MF runs and gearing new characters. I enjoyed the PvM aspect I guess, its just not the only reason I played for years though. I was really excited for Diablo3 and I have played beta, my excitement has gone down a few notches before this was even announced.

The only reason I will be playing is because of a family member who is addicted to WoW letting me talked them into the annual pass because I knew they would be playing for at least another year. I dont think I would put down my own cash considering the news we have been getting on D3 or the failure (for myself, if you enjoyed it then great) SC2 turned out to be for me after spending so much time in Starcraft/BW.

• Impulse47Impulse47 Member UncommonPosts: 159

Yep.  PvP tournaments in Diablo II were the only reason any sane person had to play.

PvE = Yay, lets farm Baal so that we can farm Baal even faster.  Then we can farm Baal some more so that we can farm Baal.  Want to farm Baal?

Won't be buying until PvP is officially added.  And probably not even then, since I'll have already lost interest.  Terrible move, Blizzard.  RIP Diablo franchise.

• cybertruckercybertrucker Member UncommonPosts: 1,117
    Why is this even an mmorpg article.. seeing as how this game isn't even an mmo
  • ChackzChackz Member Posts: 76

Just know that once that first patch drops is when the game will be epic. Like when LoD came out for D2. That is what made the game.

• sonicbrewsonicbrew Member UncommonPosts: 515

Originally posted by Impulse47

Yep.  PvP tournaments in Diablo II were the only reason any sane person had to play.

PvE = Yay, lets farm Baal so that we can farm Baal even faster.  Then we can farm Baal some more so that we can farm Baal.  Want to farm Baal?

Won't be buying until PvP is officially added.  And probably not even then, since I'll have already lost interest.  Terrible move, Blizzard.  RIP Diablo franchise.

What are you talking about seriously? As an ARPG and a loot based game that is what the vast majority did. it's what the genre is all about. You didn't PvP much either until you either had that cookie cutter Sorc build andgear or barb w/w. Just a ludicrous statement as any sane person would know.

“Once the game is over, the king and the pawn go back in the same box.” ~ Italian proverb   

Originally posted by sonicbrew

Originally posted by Impulse47

What are you talking about seriously? As an ARPG and a loot based game that is what the vast majority did. it's what the genre is all about. You didn't PvP much either until you either had that cookie cutter Sorc build andgear or barb w/w. Just a ludicrous statement as any sane person would know.

agreed.

• SoleinaSoleina Member Posts: 9

It is still a single player game, with multiplayer content like Diablo 2.

It has some co-op elements as well

it is not an MMO like WoW

Originally posted by Soleina

It is still a single player game, with multiplayer content like Diablo 2.

It has some co-op elements as well

it is not an MMO like WoW

not even an mmo like Guild wars 1 or 2.

• MephsterMephster Member Posts: 1,188

Seven plus year later and they can't deliver on launch day. It seems times have changed for Blizzard and not in a good way.

Grim Dawn, the next great action rpg!

http://www.grimdawn.com/

• darkedone02darkedone02 Member UncommonPosts: 581

honestly i'm ok with this anyways, i'm move of a PvE and a Crafter/puzzle person then a PvP, rage inducing, yelling bullshit type of person. Besides when you think about it, people will probably move on to other games and won't look at this for PvP purposes, they probobly looking at Tera and other games that has potential PvP features.

• FrodoFraginsFrodoFragins Member EpicPosts: 5,897

LOL.  What a mess.  I never liked PVP in D2, but damn that's an important feature to many.  It's still not as bad as releasing SC2 with only one campaign, albeit large.

• wrekognizewrekognize Member UncommonPosts: 388

Glad I don't have to buy this game now.

• DAS1337DAS1337 Member UncommonPosts: 2,610

Neither Diablo 1, nor Diablo 2 had arena PvP in it. 

Everyone should be happy that it is planned for Diablo 3.  I probably won't be doing any of it, as I'm tired of pointless arena combat.  However, even if I were, I wouldn't care that it isn't going to be included at launch.

Woopty freakin' doo.

• itgrowlsitgrowls Member Posts: 2,951

I'm wondering if there is legal ground to stand on for their delay. I mean basically they pulled a bait and switch and didn't release the game as promised anywhere near on time but oh if you don't pay their annual pass you can best believe their legal department will take your house, car, pool, dog, and 2 children. Anyone have any info on this possibility?

• aesperusaesperus Member UncommonPosts: 5,135

Originally posted by DAS1337

Neither Diablo 1, nor Diablo 2 had arena PvP in it. 

Everyone should be happy that it is planned for Diablo 3.  I probably won't be doing any of it, as I'm tired of pointless arena combat.  However, even if I were, I wouldn't care that it isn't going to be included at launch.

Woopty freakin' doo.

Not planning on including PvP is one thing. Planning for it, and then scrapping it at the last minute is something else entirely. Like the feature or not, it's not a good sign.

• infamouswhoisinfamouswhois Member Posts: 185

they've already scrapped many things so not really suprised about this at all simply....meh. What happend to when they said "no one will remember if the games late they'll remember if its great or not" something like that.

• KuinnKuinn Member UncommonPosts: 2,072

PvP has never been the selling point in Diablo games, it's just not in the name, and nobody even expected it before it was announced as an afterthought. This means nothing.