Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Mass Effect 3 just pulled a Dragon Age 2 on me its terrible

Comments

• RednecksithRednecksith Member Posts: 1,238

I'm about 20 hours in right now. I've been talking my time, doing all the side content, etc. Frankly, I'm not seeing the spectacular badness people here are complaining about. In fact, I'd say its probably better than ME2 so far. The story is interesting, the combat is fun & responsive, and the voice acting is some of the best I've heard anywhere.

Also, the deaths of Mordin and Thane were handled very well. Mordin died to atone for / correct his past mistakes, and Thane went out like the badass he always was. I have to admit, the prayer scene really got to me, especially when Shepard finds out that it was for him/her. The last thing he did was to pray for another... just amazing, and incredibly emotional.

I'm very happy with it so far, and certainly don't regret the purchase.

• Moaky07Moaky07 Member Posts: 2,096

Originally posted by Axxar

I felt suckered buying the DLC for Dragon Age. Thus I never bought any other DLC from BioWare. ME1 + ME2 are great games without DLC. If the 3rd is not it would be a major disappointment.

Then you missed out. 

The asteroid DLC from ME1 was cool, and ME2 DLC took it to a whole nother level. Kasumi gave us a Japanese woman with a penchat for being a klepto.  Lair of the Shadow Broker, and Arrival were pretty damn good. Overlord was simply amazing.

Asking Devs to make AAA sandbox titles is like trying to get fine dining on a McDonalds dollar menu budget.

• steelfrenzysteelfrenzy Member Posts: 147

What exactly have they done to improve the series in ME3? I'm seeing no real additions, but I'm seeing a hell of a lot of subtractions. I don't think it's negative... I would say that while ME2 wasn't nearly as bad as ME3, it still wasn't as good as ME1. If we're going to have a discussion about it, I think you'll see just how obvious it is. Anyway, ball's in your court. I'm not trying to be standoff-ish or anything, but I really do want to know what they've done that's added to the series.

• MckiedizMckiediz Member Posts: 48

Originally posted by steelfrenzy

I'm not trying to be standoffsih or anything, but I really do want to know what they're done that's added to the series.

A couple million new players (potential fans) more?

• steelfrenzysteelfrenzy Member Posts: 147

Har-dee-har-har.

• eddieg50eddieg50 Member UncommonPosts: 1,809

I am about 12 hours in and having a great time, this is nothing like DA2 which was very repetitive with the same scenery. bioware did away with the obnoxious mini games, and the story this time is just as good if not better than me2

• VirgoThreeVirgoThree Member UncommonPosts: 1,198

Originally posted by steelfrenzy

What exactly have they done to improve the series in ME3? I'm seeing no real additions, but I'm seeing a hell of a lot of subtractions. I don't think it's negative... I would say that while ME2 wasn't nearly as bad as ME3, it still wasn't as good as ME1. If we're going to have a discussion about it, I think you'll see just how obvious it is. Anyway, ball's in your court. I'm not trying to be standoff-ish or anything, but I really do want to know what they've done that's added to the series.

ME3 is much more stream lined and refined over its previous incarnations.

The combat feels smoother then ME2 with the addition of rolling, cover + melee executions, grenades, drastically improved melee, and overall cinematic representation of all major encounters.

The conversation and in game cinematography feels improved over the past two games as well. The tuchanka mission to name one with the thresher maw was just awe inspiring.

Addition of equipment weight, plus load outs gives you more freedom of equipment. Now it's more of a preference as to what you want, rather then what is best (ME2 was leaning towards this but wasn't completely there)

Additional ability customization. There are just as many abilities as ME2 with some additions. Albeit the customization is still rather limited, but it is more then the previous games.

The things they removed I do not miss. Removing the Mako in ME2 was not missed, and removing the planetary scans for resources is something else I do not miss. The bypass minigames, and hacking minigames are again another element I do not miss. It allows me to get into the story and the action faster.

Those are just a few items I could list. Oh and Multiplayer is a fun addition as well :)

Originally posted by warmaster670

Originally posted by UsualSuspect

The whole scanning thing isn't that great, especially considering how quick the Reapers find you, also really not a big fan of them adding homosexual crew members. The one who had a conversation with me regarding his 'husband' I really didn't want to know about. It's an 'action movie' not a podium for gay rights.

So action movies cant have gay people in them now? news to me.

HAH Homophobe aisle 3 plz.

Thanks for pointing out Warmaster. I have gotten in the habit of normally skipping most of Suspects posts. The alternative life style crew member is no different than Zevran from DA.....dont talk to them if you dont wanna deal with it.  In the meantime there are a number of BW fans that lead the alternative lifestyle, and even though it isnt something I am wanting to check out, I gotta give props to BW for looking out for their fans.

Hell at least those guys living that way havent gone off the deep end like Joker....he is sticking his pecker in a toaster oven. image

Asking Devs to make AAA sandbox titles is like trying to get fine dining on a McDonalds dollar menu budget.

• LoekiiLoekii Member Posts: 430

Originally posted by SckrFreeBoss

Is it really a disappointment like DA2 was? I swear to God if EA messes this up... :(

I would say ME3 is what DA2 (and SWTOR) should have been, in terms of overall quality -- thought opinions will vary.

The game is not 'amazing', but it is also not 'amazing bad' - imo.    I would say it has better writing (entertaining but nothing amazing), better AI as well as overall gameplay enjoyment, than DA2 and SWTOR.   

I have put in more time into ME3, than I did in DA2 or SWTOR, simply because I find it much more enjoyable.

• thexratedthexrated Member UncommonPosts: 1,368

Originally posted by Loekii

Originally posted by SckrFreeBoss

Is it really a disappointment like DA2 was? I swear to God if EA messes this up... :(

I would say ME3 is what DA2 (and SWTOR) should have been, in terms of overall quality -- thought opinions will vary.

The game is not 'amazing', but it is also not 'amazing bad' - imo.    I would say it has better writing (entertaining but nothing amazing), better AI as well as overall gameplay enjoyment, than DA2 and SWTOR.   

I have put in more time into ME3, than I did in DA2 or SWTOR, simply because I find it much more enjoyable.

ME3 is provides the best overall experience from the series.  It strikes a good balance between action and RPG.  While it does not have same feeling of freedom as ME1 had, ME3 does have a lot better world design in comparison to ME2 which just felt linear 3rd person shooter. The places you visit in missions feel more realistic, like real places, rather than tunnels to follow to the end.

Voice acting is great, but there are some dramatic moments that feel pushed. I think they also went a bit overboard with the ability to see almost all key characters from the previous installations. It is a big galaxy, I would rather have seen less of them...it felt slightly pushed.

You can almost feel the sense of urgency and desperation of war when you talk to various characters.

Apart from the DLC fiasco, this is a very good ending for the series...even if some find it a bit anti-climatic.

"The person who experiences greatness must have a feeling for the myth he is in."

• RavenRaven Member UncommonPosts: 2,005

I cant believe people think this will be last Mass Effect, the same way that Gears of War 3 isnt going to be the last, it seems they are over extending the series which is fair enough.

I cant say I didnt love all of them, cause I did, I also loved ME3 so far.

• Gabby-airGabby-air Member UncommonPosts: 3,440

Haven't played too much but have sunk my teeth into the game, so far it's exactly what I expected. Some things have definitely been improved and others sort of got the short end of the stick like lip sync at certain times. But so far, this is far from bad...hell I'm having quite a bit of fun. 

• F0URTWENTYF0URTWENTY Member UncommonPosts: 349

Mass effect 1 was one of the best games ive played ever.

Mass effect 2 & 3 were dumbed down to have the same gameplay as CALL OF DUTY/ GEARS OF WAR 

Duck and cover with regenerative health is only fun for people who like games with no challenge. If you get shot it should affect how the entire level plays out, it shouldnt only penilize you for 10seconds until ur health regens. This is bad gameplay made for 10 year olds who want no challenge.

Next time leave call of duty out of my RPG thx.

Originally posted by Sketch420

Mass effect 1 was one of the best games ive played ever.

Mass effect 2 & 3 were dumbed down to have the same gameplay as CALL OF DUTY/ GEARS OF WAR 

Duck and cover with regenerative health is only fun for people who like games with no challenge. If you get shot it should affect how the entire level plays out, it shouldnt only penilize you for 10seconds until ur health regens. This is bad gameplay made for 10 year olds who want no challenge.

Actually your health regenned rather quickly in ME1 was you got up to higher lvls, and had various skills or mods for gear.

The thing I didnt like about the change was being limited on ammo. I am not a shooter fan(only play RPG shooters), so no ammo worries works for me. With the gear system of ME3, although you cant give your companions different armor stats, there is a shit ton of ways to go weapon wise. They also gave more ways to customize your power set.

Like I stated in another post.....I thought they bridged the gap pretty good between ME1 and ME2.

• Kaijin2k3Kaijin2k3 Member Posts: 558

Originally posted by Sketch420

Your health doesn't regenerate in ME3.

For some classes in ME1, your health regenerated. Even more so with certain armor mods.

• UsualSuspectUsualSuspect Member UncommonPosts: 1,243

Well, I just completed the game, I completed everything but one side quest involving Cerberus Codes that I guess I missed during one of the missions. Overall, it was a very very good game, the story was great, the action, the combat - some of the battles were very hard this time around, especially in London where you're being attacked by 4 Brutes, 2 Banshee's and half a dozen Turian-looking creatures at the same time. I was playing as an Infiltrator and had a sniper rifle that was Turian made - best rifle ever. Once I had that I saw no need to have any other weapon.

That said, for the ending of the series, the ending left a lot to be desired. As in, it was terrible, talking to some glowing child figure and having to decide on three possible outcomes. It's like, wait a sec.. wasn't I just in an action movie? Wasn't I here to destroy the Reapers? What the hell is this..? Did I take the wrong door and end up on the 2001 set or something? Really, that was a horrible decision to have that as an ending. And then when you do make a choice, you have a really short movie and that's it. End credits. So much build up and all we got was "Select 1, 2 or 3 for custom ending.". Uch.

The other problem I have with it is it doesn't really feel like a game I'd want to play again. There were so few choices to make in this one that I can't really see how things would alter with a different playthrough. I liked playing through ME2 so I could make different choices, different relationships, different responses, different classes. The only thing ME3 has to offer really is a different class. I could be wrong, but right now I see no reason to play through again.

• Kaijin2k3Kaijin2k3 Member Posts: 558

... wasn't I just in an action movie? ...

The other problem I have with it is it doesn't really feel like a game I'd want to play again. There were so few choices to make in this one that I can't really see how things would alter with a different playthrough. I liked playing through ME2 so I could make different choices, different relationships, different responses, different classes. The only thing ME3 has to offer really is a different class. I could be wrong, but right now I see no reason to play through again.

First line is one big reason why some of us take issues with ME3. It was way too movelike. What seperated the series for me from Uncharter or Gears was all the choices and dialogue branches you can go into. Still, I can understand people who liked the more movie-like pace.

Your last paragraph, if people just really like the game there is a ton of little differences that they'll enjoy playing through. Personally, i never would again. Especially when you realize every choice you made in the previous games alters the story in absolutely no way save for a few changes in dialogue and a different TMS score.

Did you kill or save the Rachni queen? Doesn't matter. You'll encounter one anyways and be given the same options.

Did you kill or save the original council? Doesn't matter. Udina is still a wuss that doesn't dare talk back to the other council members (who are all the same race -- different gender for one, though, which is kind of cool).

Did Mordin survive in ME2? Doesn't matter. Another Salarian will take his spot and do the same things.

This applies to every choice we've been given. Different dialogue lines here and there are cool, but I was expecting larger differences. And even if they did alter the story, the endings as of now basically give all your choices a big "lol, who cares?" feeling anyways.

It's all so... unsatisfactory to me.

• KrytycalKrytycal Member Posts: 520

What to expect from ME4:

Every ability has been bound to spacebar, and all dialogue is replaced by really cool explosions.

Originally posted by Kaijin2k3

This applies to every choice we've been given. Different dialogue lines here and there are cool, but I was expecting larger differences. And even if they did alter the story, the endings as of now basically give all your choices a big "lol, who cares?" feeling anyways.

I was thinking about this last night and came to the same conclusion. The reason I don't want to replay it is because of that ending. It doesn't matter what I do through the whole game - hell, the whole series - as it basically comes down to three choices at the end. What is the point of going through it all again just to see a few dialogue changes when the ending is going to be exactly the same? And as you say, the different dialogue choices are so small, and the way they inject things that are missing from your saved games, just makes the whole thing pointless.

It's still a great game, but I can't see me ever playing it again after completing it. Which is sad when you consider I have over 170 hours playtime logged on ME2 with multiple playthroughs.

• iNeokiiNeoki Member UncommonPosts: 353

Originally posted by Kaijin2k3

I was thinking about this last night and came to the same conclusion. The reason I don't want to replay it is because of that ending. It doesn't matter what I do through the whole game - hell, the whole series - as it basically comes down to three choices at the end. What is the point of going through it all again just to see a few dialogue changes when the ending is going to be exactly the same? And as you say, the different dialogue choices are so small, and the way they inject things that are missing from your saved games, just makes the whole thing pointless.

It's still a great game, but I can't see me ever playing it again after completing it. Which is sad when you consider I have over 170 hours playtime logged on ME2 with multiple playthroughs.

I agree with you fully UsualSuspect, I have a 143 hours of ME2 playtime from my multiple playthroughs. But when at the end of ME3, the only difference between any choice is the color of the explosion of the relays and to see Joker with or without green cybernetic glow, or to see a N7 soldier (Most likely shepard) waking up breahting... Ya it really furiates me. Where did all my choices go? Where did all my work towards saving countless colonies and cities, and uniting the galaxy go?

I know almost from instinct Bioware will pull the "It was just a dream" card on us and release a DLC continuing the storyline, however doing that doesn't change my opinion that releasing a game and leaving a sour taste in many loyal players of the franchise' mouth was a terrible move. And also to add, if they require us to PAY for that DLC to "finish the ending" I will downright just say im done with Bioware. DA2 was laughable, I was involved with the SWTOR alpha and CB and still saw disregarded bug reports at launch.  They just don't seem to care as much about their customers since EA got hold of them, it's a damn shame really.  Baldurs Gate, Neverwinter Nights, and KOTOR are probably my favorite games out there.

TwitchTV: iNeoki

• iceman00iceman00 Member Posts: 1,363

Funny thing is I gotta re-do my review I put up in the other thread.

The "replay value" being 10 was when I thought that the endings would be a little different.  actually, no matter what route you go, the ending is the same.  The Mass relays are destroyed, and the Normandy crew arrives on a jungle paradise, and in the end, an old man of a species not "enlightened" tells the myth of "The Shepard"

Why even bother with a second playthrough, when nothing changes?

So yup, I'm taking the replay value down to at least 6.

I think EA was going for a Sorpanos style ending, and failed miserably.

Course here's my question, slightly off base:

The Prothean VI on Thessia explains that during the Prothean "cycle" a group did the same thing Cerberus did, and that part of it being a "cycle" is certain things happening.  In that case, who was the "Shepard" of the Prothean cycle?

Could this have gone a whole Matrix 2 ending style, where you find out that "The One" isn't meant to destroy the machines, but rather to start the next cycle?

• iNeokiiNeoki Member UncommonPosts: 353

Originally posted by iceman00

Could this have gone a whole Matrix 2 ending style, where you find out that "The One" isn't meant to destroy the machines, but rather to start the next cycle?

You are so spot on, when at the end of my story in my paragon "ending" where shepard is lifted up to the crucible "child" on a white platform just as he "dies"... My first thought was "Wow... Matrix Revolutions Neo ending here we come.." then I saw the 3 options and listened to the kid, and then I thought "Wow, Matrix reloaded Architect much?".

It seems the dev's just finished watching the Matrix Trilogy, but the director of the story just finished reading "Ghosts of Mars". And the latter thought it'd be awesome to combine both stories into and mix it up with Mass Effect universe storyline. In the end like you stated and I stated above you, it all comes down to different colors of explosions in the cutscene and seeing joker with or without cybernetic glow on his arms if you choose the Synthesize or Destroy/control path.

I did every ending, and even played the game through a 2nd time on the ME3 import of my former character to try and save anderson. Nothing changes, at all, what a blasted shame. After all their "Your choice makes an impact" talk, it means absolutely zero. Again, if they charge for the DLC to see the real ending, I'm going to be pissed, charging people upfront for a "Day 1 dlc" that should have just been included in release was a punch in the face already. Luckily my pre-order came with it.

TwitchTV: iNeoki

• iceman00iceman00 Member Posts: 1,363

And apparently Bioware didn't realize two things:

1.)  Matrix Reloaded's ending was pretty well panned as one of the classic improbable deus ex machina's

2.)  Matrix Revolutions was an absolutely horrible movie.  Watching it only inspires sadness at realizing what a classic the first one was.

There were several interesting ways they could've gone about this ending.... but they chose not to.

Originally posted by NeokiNaomi

I know almost from instinct Bioware will pull the "It was just a dream" card on us and release a DLC continuing the storyline, however doing that doesn't change my opinion that releasing a game and leaving a sour taste in many loyal players of the franchise' mouth was a terrible move. And also to add, if they require us to PAY for that DLC to "finish the ending" I will downright just say im done with Bioware.

Personally, I think this is exactly what they have planned. Think about it. In the other ME games we bought DLC to continue the story and perhaps have an effect on what happens in the next game. With ME3 being the final chapter, what motive is there to purchase DLC beyond just adding a little something to the game? The perfect motive is the carrot on a stick - dangle the ending in front of our noses, but always keep it just out of range so we have to get more DLC to see the next section. When they've finally milked us for enough cash they might give us a final ending.

Have you looked at the ME3 forums and youtube? There's a lot of talk about the whole final scene being an indoctrination attempt by Harbinger, that it's all going on in Shepards head as he lies in the rubble of London. This is why the only choice where he takes a breath at the end is when you choose the destroy option. The Reapers are trying to get you to give in, to accept either Control or Synthesis, presenting them as the better options over Destruction. If you choose Destruction then you hold on to your humanity and take that breath, coming back to the real world and...

... likely continuing the game later in a DLC. If this is right then Bioware/EA have dropped down to a whole new level of cash grabbing. It reminds me of those old TV series where you'd see Flash Gordon killed at the end of the episode, but then the next episode something happens to knock him free and a new episode starts. I really hope that isn't their plan for this.

• Atlan99Atlan99 Member UncommonPosts: 1,332

Personally, I think this is exactly what they have planned. Think about it. In the other ME games we bought DLC to continue the story and perhaps have an effect on what happens in the next game. With ME3 being the final chapter, what motive is there to purchase DLC beyond just adding a little something to the game? The perfect motive is the carrot on a stick - dangle the ending in front of our noses, but always keep it just out of range so we have to get more DLC to see the next section. When they've finally milked us for enough cash they might give us a final ending.

Have you looked at the ME3 forums and youtube? There's a lot of talk about the whole final scene being an indoctrination attempt by Harbinger, that it's all going on in Shepards head as he lies in the rubble of London. This is why the only choice where he takes a breath at the end is when you choose the destroy option. The Reapers are trying to get you to give in, to accept either Control or Synthesis, presenting them as the better options over Destruction. If you choose Destruction then you hold on to your humanity and take that breath, coming back to the real world and...

... likely continuing the game later in a DLC. If this is right then Bioware/EA have dropped down to a whole new level of cash grabbing. It reminds me of those old TV series where you'd see Flash Gordon killed at the end of the episode, but then the next episode something happens to knock him free and a new episode starts. I really hope that isn't their plan for this.

This is  why I'm pissed.

I bought ME3 thinking it was the end.

What I got was a cliffhanger followed by an implied "You can buy the Real Ending at a future date through DLC."

On top of that the game is half as long as ME2 because they spent so much time trying to Shoehorn multiplayer into the game.

If it was anything other than a video game I would ask for a refund.