Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

General: The Best of GDC

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129

Last week, the MMORPG.com team was on hand at the annual Game Developer's Conference. They've each got their impressions of what they thought were the best of the best things to see during GDC. Keep reading!

The demo we saw of Planetside 2 really impressed us. The combination of infantry battles, tanks, and aircraft in the same battlefield fighting over objectives was fantastic for gamers. Shooter and MMO fans alike will be very excited about this game. SOE has put a lot of polish on it and it ran smoothly with people playing at GDC and back in the studio in San Diego.

Read more the MMORPG.com staff's The List: The Best of GDC.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• DauzqulDauzqul Member RarePosts: 1,982

It's cool that you guys got to experience the GDC. I just wish they had better games. I'm just not interested in the listed titles at all.

• elockeelocke Member UncommonPosts: 4,335

No love for Dust 514?  Personally, I think it looks better than PS2 and it will be FREE.

• BlakkrskyrrBlakkrskyrr Member Posts: 230
    But dust is only for ps3. Not everyone has one of those. Im not interested in any of these games either. Secret world's concept is pretty awesome, but I don't like the development and mechanics of the game. Too boring. The way the game is played just doesn't seem to give the feel of the idea behind the game
  • rpgalonrpgalon Member Posts: 430

looks like you guys saw something interesting in the TSW presentation...

• someforumguysomeforumguy Member RarePosts: 4,088

I can't wait to see more The Secret World and Planetside 2. I hope that this year will have many great releases.

• AeolronAeolron Member Posts: 648
    Lol how can you say tsw is boring when you haven't played it? If you just watched the videos then gave your findings based on those videos then you should make commits like that.
  • BlackbrrdBlackbrrd Member Posts: 811

I am really looking forward to the crafting presentation from TSW, now they just need to get the beta going again and invite me!

• jtcgsjtcgs Member Posts: 1,777

The secret world? THE SECRET WORLD?!?

You do know that this is a FUNCOM game right? They have not learned one bit over the last 11 years, they still do not listen to beta tester feedback and they still cannot fix bugs at a decent rate...

Age of Conan was released 4 YEARS ago and now, only NOW are they finally getting around to re-doing the crafting system...something that was complained about in MASS in early beta testing. So it took them 5 YEARS! And that game still has a ton of bugs that were spoken about in beta!

I would pay $50 for a copy of a FREE game before I would pay $1 for a game made by UNfuncom...the free games get updates and bug fixes faster.

“I hope we shall crush...in its birth the aristocracy of our moneyed corporations, which dare already to challenge our government to a trial of strength and bid defiance to the laws of our country." ~Thomes Jefferson

• pdx2012pdx2012 Member Posts: 7

@jtcgs:

Funcom have been doing a great job of responding to beta-tester feedback for TSW and fixing bugs quickly. I think they have learned from their mistakes with AoC and are really polishing this game to be the best it can possibly be. I've only heard positive things from betatesters so far, the game is stable, fun and has good performance even on laptops.

Oh, and it's "en masse", no "in mass" ;)

• ShakyMoShakyMo Member CommonPosts: 7,207
    Are these beta testers all carebears, because pvp wise tsw looks seriously lacking not only compared to gw2 but even 90% pve games like wow
  • KonfessKonfess Member RarePosts: 1,667

I played Planetside 1, as it is now kalled.  I have read recently that the kontinents would be population looked at 499 total players.  So imagine a 3 faction map of Halo or some other FPS with 499 players.  Once you are on that map there are ~16 bases to capture 32 Towers ( 2 per base ) as well.  A variety of classes (Stealth, Trooper, Combat Engineer, Combat Medic, Hacker), ground vehicles ( Buggies, Tanks, Armour Personel Carriers ), and air vehicles ( Attack, Fighters, Bomber, Transports).  The only problem I see with PS1 is that the graphics update that is coming with PS2 now should have come to PS1 in 2007.

Pardon any spelling errors
    Konfess your cyns and some maybe forgiven
    Boy: Why can't I talk to Him?
    Mom: We don't talk to Priests.
    As if it could exist, without being payed for.
    F2P means you get what you paid for. Pay nothing, get nothing.
    Even telemarketers wouldn't think that.
    It costs money to play.  Therefore P2W.

• DaSpackDaSpack Member UncommonPosts: 589

Well Funcom have promissed that hundreds of thousands will be able to test PvP before launch. I guess that will be in Open Beta for the people that sign up. So we will figure out then if the betatesters are all hyperbole or not :)

BTW I have a tester friend that really have told me so much good of this game. The guy is not a bullshiter... So I am quite optimistic for TSW this fare. More info coming up in days.. :)

The Ultimate Breakdown

Originally posted by ShakyMo

Are these beta testers all carebears, because pvp wise tsw looks seriously lacking not only compared to gw2 but even 90% pve games like wow

What they are lacking with the PvP is showing it, because they haven't done that yet. ;)

Well..
    2 battlegrounds
    1 solitary warzone that supports maybe 50 players per faction and you can't access until 2/3rd of the way through the pve content
    Ffa fight club in London
    No pvp servers
    No faction locks
    Possibility of umbrella cross faction alliances later

Very pve centrist. Which is a shake given original agartha concept, 3 factions and freedom skill system
    To add what I know / have seen its a very good pve game, just can't do with raiding / hardmode dungeon or grind mini games end game myself I need more dynamic pvp to keep me going long term - daoc & eve been the games I've played the most
  • MikeBMikeB Community ManagerAdministrator RarePosts: 6,555

Originally posted by elocke

No love for Dust 514?  Personally, I think it looks better than PS2 and it will be FREE.

It was not at GDC, or we would have definitely gone to see it!

• jtcgsjtcgs Member Posts: 1,777

Originally posted by pdx2012

Oh, and it's "en masse", no "in mass" ;)

I reject everything you said based on your clinging to the french version which doesnt even apply, En Masse means ALL TOGETHER, in mass just means many...and that you think Funcom is doing well because the game can be played on a freaking laptop. Just proves you are carebear and base their improving the game based on carebear views.

“I hope we shall crush...in its birth the aristocracy of our moneyed corporations, which dare already to challenge our government to a trial of strength and bid defiance to the laws of our country." ~Thomes Jefferson

• DaSpackDaSpack Member UncommonPosts: 589

3 Faction PvP can never be PvE centric. 3 Faction PvP is the optimum constelation for a balanced conflict.

The Ultimate Breakdown

• lambchopzinlambchopzin Member Posts: 5

[mod edit]

I'm also looking forward to the PvP. Just the fact that it has 3 factions puts it above and beyond any other game out there in the PvP department right now, though GW2 might be a little better for a pure PvP game.

Originally posted by jtcgs

Age of Conan was released 4 YEARS ago and now, only NOW are they finally getting around to re-doing the crafting system...something that was complained about in MASS in early beta testing. So it took them 5 YEARS! ...

Age of Conan got a big revamp of the crafting system about one year after launch. You probably missed it since you haven't been playing since the beta or right after the release? Anyway, the revamped system wasn't great since it still worked under some of the constraints of the original system.

Funcom in my mind should get some props for not stopping support and development of their MMOs. Who other than Funcom has a 11 year old MMO still getting development (Anarchy Online)? What other MMO has gotten the big graphics engine improvements that AoC has gotten?

I played AoC for about 18 months (from 2008 - 2010) and sure the game has flaws, but it was fun while I played it. Especially the leveling process was very good. (They have added a ton of content after launch).

I have tried TSW for about 5 hours and my impression is that they have taken their experiences from AO and AoC and used them to create a great platform for an MMO. The skillsystem is really great, combat is easy to learn, but hard to master. The setting is interesting and the story very well done.

If you were interested in AoC but didn't like the game, I would give TSW a try during open beta. It costs you nothing and you might even like it. If you don't like it you can rant on the forums for years afterwards! ;)

EDIT: I hope that TSW will try to be a game like EVE in the respect that it's focused on doing one thing very well at the cost of being a game many will never touch because of it's single minded focus. There are very few companies that manage to make games appeal to everybody from grandmothers to hardcore gamers. (I am thinking of Blizzard and game like Diablo and WoW).

• elockeelocke Member UncommonPosts: 4,335

Originally posted by MikeB

It wasn't?  Odd, I could have sworn twimmo over at gamebreaker.tv talked about playing Dust 514 and that CCP is not nuts or something like that.  Maybe they had an exclusive look elsewhere or I just misheard them, ah well.   Can't wait to get my hands on it.  And for those crying about it being on PS3, they already dropped major hints that the PC version will be following soon.

• ZeroxinZeroxin Member UncommonPosts: 2,515

Originally posted by MikeB

You guys better go to Fanfest and get hands on... or else.... I'm boycotting your site... yea...

This is not a game.

• DannyGloverDannyGlover Member Posts: 1,277

The Secret World. Can't wait til Thursday!

I sit on a man's back, choking him and making him carry me, and yet assure myself and others that I am very sorry for him and wish to ease his lot by all possible means - except by getting off his back.

• karmathkarmath Member UncommonPosts: 904

"That is the core of Game of Thrones.  Plus, it plays on a browser!" I knew this allready but I nearly choked on my coffee when you said in the the context of a good thing. Just like how DCUO was awesome hey Garret? Keep lining those pockets mate, its all you have left.

• VhalnVhaln Member Posts: 3,159

Good to see the TSW mentioned repeatedly, even if without any details.  I'm trying to stay optimistic about it, but it's been tough given the lack of info, and my skeptical nature.

When I want a single-player story, I'll play a single-player game. When I play an MMO, I want a massively multiplayer world.