Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Very touching MMORPG community story

teakboisteakbois Member Posts: 2,154

This is truly one of the best community displays in the genre's history.

On March 6th, this post appeared on the EQ2 forums

http://forums.station.sony.com/eq2/posts/list.m?&topic_id=515776

What the EQ2 community did in just a couple of days is truly astounding:

http://eq2.zam.com/story.html?story=29262

Comments

• cheachancheachan Member Posts: 122

Touching indeed. I just hope that this kind of solidarity will touch not only gaming communities but also a much bigger one. 

• teakboisteakbois Member Posts: 2,154

This is something this site should do a feature on

• ProfGetzProfGetz Member UncommonPosts: 182

Just awesome.

I may have to check out the GUK server, seem like good folks.

Every MMORPG is AWESOME, until it's released!
    I don't want a game so much as I want a WORLD!
    --
    o·pin·ion –noun
    1. a belief or judgment that rests on grounds insufficient to produce complete certainty.
    2. a personal view, attitude, or appraisal.

• Superduper69Superduper69 Member Posts: 363

And this is why i still play EQ2..because of its community.

• IndolIndol Member Posts: 189

Remarkable! Sometimes we really do reawaken our humanity...

Thanks for sharing this.

• EvilGeekEvilGeek Member UncommonPosts: 1,258

Heart warming :)

• LeucentLeucent Member Posts: 2,371

Truly unbeleivable!! I wish I could have helped with that, but wasn t even aware of it as I was out of town. God bless the community of EQ2 for giving this child something great before he s no longer with us. This reminds me of when I was playing DAOC, someone had passed on, on the Alb side I think on Guinevere server and all 3 realms actually got together and had a funeral for him. No one attack anyone, just said our goodbyes, and moved on, it was a very nice moment as well.

• mrshroom89mrshroom89 Member UncommonPosts: 224

Absolutely amazing, my hats off to all those who donated their time / resources to show this young frigile life some much needed love before his time.  Best wishes to the family 

C

[mod edit]
  • ProfRedProfRed Member UncommonPosts: 3,494

Today is one of those days where I am sick, on cold medicine, feel not myself, etc. and I can't even make it through reading some of this without almost breaking into a full on a bawl.  I haven't cried like that in 15 years, and I am at work so I am fighting it off but damn.  I wish I could do something for that parent, and I can't even imagine myself in their shoes, but how badass can the human race be at times?

Originally posted by ProfRed

Today is one of those days where I am sick, on cold medicine, feel not myself, etc. and I can't even make it through reading some of this without almost breaking into a full on a bawl.  I haven't cried like that in 15 years, and I am at work so I am fighting it off but damn.  I wish I could do something for that parent, and I can't even imagine myself in their shoes, but how badass can the human race be at times?

It truly is, I am at home and let it fly, I cried for a good 15 mins, and feel great I did. I still play EQ2 and I can definately say in general it s the best community I ve seen since early DAOC. Very nice people indeed in most cases. I really wish I could have been a part of it. That family deserves something for sure, If I was rich I would pay for them to go on a trip long after this hell they re in is over. Alas I m not rich though :(

• OmnifishOmnifish Member Posts: 616

[mod edit]

Amazing story and also of course tragic. Any death of a child is.  I have in the past critised a lot of MMO communities but the guys over on Guk and those who helped out are outstanding human beings.  

Thanks for sharing OP, gives us all hope :)

This looks like a job for....The Riviera Kid!

• ProfGetzProfGetz Member UncommonPosts: 182

[mod edit]

Yeah, he should spend his time playing a game he enjoys! Oh wait...

Every MMORPG is AWESOME, until it's released!
    I don't want a game so much as I want a WORLD!
    --
    o·pin·ion –noun
    1. a belief or judgment that rests on grounds insufficient to produce complete certainty.
    2. a personal view, attitude, or appraisal.

• spookydomspookydom Member UncommonPosts: 1,782

Really moving story.  So sad for the little chap and his family but what an amazing response from the EQ 2 community. Thanks for the share op.