Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

General: The Referral Scroll of Ding!

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129

Blizzard recently announced an overhauled "Scroll of Resurrection" campaign with tons of awesome bonuses for both giver and receiver. In today's WoW Factor, we take a look at the program and offer up a few thoughts. Check it out!

Occasionally something rare and exquisite happens.  What I speak of is my astounding ability to let my own stupidity get ahead of me just so it can ruin my day, and today is one of those days folks.  I was perusing the World of Warcraft news world like any other day and I happened to stumble upon this.  It would seem that Blizzard, in one of their intermittent strokes of genius, decided to buff the Scroll of Resurrection beyond the point of helpfulness all the way to absurdity in a ploy to gain some subscriptions.

Read more of Joseph Sanicky's The WoW Factor: The Referral Scroll of Ding!

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• JaggaSpikesJaggaSpikes Member UncommonPosts: 430

imo, Blizz will make Cataclysm default package (just as Vanilla and Burning Crusade are now). so, one could look at this offer as early opportunity for past players to jump back, or money grab.

your pick.

as for leveling mores, well... it's not like there something different to do at end game than during leveling.

• Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441

To me it sounds like leveling have become boring and instead of fixing it they offer a levelup to old players comming back.

they are treating the symptom, not the problem.

• ShaunJ1380ShaunJ1380 Member Posts: 77

I support this message!

I'm actually surprised you can't buy an 80 for $50 in the store. I'm sure it's in the pipe.

• N1njaPwnStarN1njaPwnStar Member Posts: 83

isnt the level cap 85? lol those 5 levels turn me away from this offer.

• CoolitCoolit Member UncommonPosts: 661

The only people I know that are using this item are vets with multiple accounts who need maybe one or two 85's to complete the set:p It costs £15 to move the 80 onto your main account after it's created which makes it a no brainer if you dont want to level another character all the way.

I find it pretty sad that cataclysm revamped all the 1-60 content and now they release this and you skip it all, it just goes to show that this is yet again either a money grab and/or a way to inflate the dwindling subscription numbers by Blizzard/Activision.

• BadSpockBadSpock Member UncommonPosts: 7,979

I used a scroll - bringing my sister in law back to WoW because she really wants to play again, so she get's free game time, I get a new mount, and my brother get's to pick a random class of his choice to ding to 80.

Between our two accounts we have 6 85's so we really don't care about the leveling process much anymore - been there done that since 2004.

• IkedaIkeda Member RarePosts: 2,751

(puts on my flame retardent helmet)

I went back because of this deal.  Something someone said about WoW being the biggest for a reason and no one else able to hold a candle to it I believe started it.

I got my scroll, read through the details, and logged in.

People from my guild were apparently on the same wavelength as some of them were logging in too.. Most had left ToR for greener pastures.

I check in on my old toons in various states of disarray... and talk to the guild.  What kimd of 80 would they need.  Dwarf Mage for an achievement.  Cool, I'd never run a mage as I got disheartened 25-30 in the past by their squishiness.

Created the level 1, popped the pill on Battle.net and BLAMMO level 80 was born.  I was a green geared (iLVL 230ish), everything but flight mastery, frostweave bags on the toon, equipped mage.  Cool right?

Yea except so much had changed since I played last, I actually spent almost a full day reading up.  Reforging and mastery were of special concern.  Once it drops you as an 80 in Stormwind, you're on your own.  One quest that sents you to the boats...

That being said, it's day 3.  I'm level 82 and eyeballing pre-raid gear.  This was just enough to possibly get a couple of months out of me.  We'll see.

Edit:  For the record, I've run entirely too many toons.  I had a hunter fully equipped in Vanilla, in BC I deleted said hunter and made him Dranei.  I made a Priest for Wraith.  At launch a Worgen Druid.  I also have a Pally in there as well.  The run was good, but why see it again when most of the added stuff was more recent raids/instances.....

• CaldrinCaldrin Member UncommonPosts: 4,505

they need to be carefull of using the word scroll otherwise Betheda might take them to court over it..

• CoolitCoolit Member UncommonPosts: 661

Originally posted by Caldrin

they need to be carefull of using the word scroll otherwise Betheda might take them to court over it..

lol so true!

• NameWasTakenNameWasTaken Member Posts: 132

The Referral Scroll of Ding?

More like... The Referral Scroll of $$$ Cha-ching! $$$ Cha-ching! $$$

• jeremyjodesjeremyjodes Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 679

You can speak evil of blizzard all day but they have a way to get us wow addicted addicts back. scroll of ding very funny but effective.

It means they are loosing subs and need to get people back. this is a good thing in my opinion. you need to lose sometimes to see what made you a winner before those times came.

• Poster07Poster07 Member Posts: 5

This Sor is just a load of BS. If you had used a trial while you account is frozen, you are marked as acttve, thus your not eligible to use SoR.

Half of Europe is on the black list and not eligible to use SoR. Blizzard claim that these countries legislation does not permit them to offer this promotion in every european country, but they fail to pont out the exact law that will not allow them to do so.

Anyway, since WotLK Blizzard is following a strange path. They retexture Azeroth and sell it as an expansion. SoR is not usable in half of Europe. The whole content is dumbed down for 8 yo kids. Pandas. How come they still have 10M customers is beyond my understanding.

• DakirnDakirn Member UncommonPosts: 372

The reason why you didn't get a level 80 is simple.

They already have you.

Why would they give you something for free when you're already giving them money?

With the scroll, they can "buy" other past players back. If they don't stay, Blizzard doesn't lose anything. If they gave YOU a level 80, you might get bored quicker and leave.

• mnemic666mnemic666 Member UncommonPosts: 224

As a business decision? It's spectacular. It lowers the re-entry barrier by a LOT. People who are already playing may be upset, but they aren't going to quit over it. But a lot of the ex-players will come back over it because of the free level 80 character they get.

As a gameplay decision? It's mixed. It's great for some people who are familiar with the game and have a great understanding of the mechanincs and of multiple classes, as leveling was just a tedious process that you were forced to take part in if you wanted to get to the actual meat of the game (max level PvP, LFD/LFR, daily quests ect, all require you to be max level). That's great.

But the downside is you will probably get a number of players who don't have this extensive knowledge of the game because they quit when they were level 20 or 30 and may not have played since BC or LK. They're coming into a game that has changed DRASTICALLY and are slingshotted to 80 without even having the leveling process to eas them into things (and to be fair the leveling process in WoW doesn't teach you shit. It's horrible as a learning tool, especially given how prolonged it is. That's why you see so many clueless 85's). So while they might plow through the questing ect., they're learning about dungeons and grouping (if they even find out HOW to do either) in situations that are FAR less forgiving than if they had normally leveld up.

Still don't know how I feel about this, I'm kinda torn on whether I like it and think it's a good idea or hate it with a passion. It's just that it conflicts with so many base design goals and systems -_-

• nyxiumnyxium Member UncommonPosts: 1,345

I feel like a pusher giving free heroin out to my friends.

• maplestonemaplestone Member UncommonPosts: 3,099

Any leveling game is essentially a series of sequels with smooth overlap between the current game and past games.  Cataclysm 80-85 is really "World of Warcraft 4".  For a typical game, you don't make people would want to play "$Franchise IV" first prove they have completed $Frachise I-III every time they create a character.  Yet in an MMO, this is the norm.

So the dilema the leveling-game industry faces as time passes, is how to make those old games relevent without being a barrier to entry to the "current" game.

[mod edit]

If you have no life and powergrind your way through it, sure.  If you're an actual functional human being, want to actually have fun when you log in and have only a couple of hours a day to clear your thoughts of the rest of your life, remember how to play the game and remember what you were doing, then no.

If you are completing a game designed to go two years between expansions in two days, it's possible, just possible, that you aren't actually the typical player.

• Angier2758Angier2758 Member UncommonPosts: 1,026

My brother and I will probably use this...

• JaedorJaedor Member UncommonPosts: 1,173

What's really amazing about this offer is that you only need to sub for 30 days to get all the goodies. O.o

• aslan132aslan132 Member UncommonPosts: 620

Originally posted by Dakirn

They already have you.

Why would they give you something for free when you're already giving them money?

With the scroll, they can "buy" other past players back. If they don't stay, Blizzard doesn't lose anything. If they gave YOU a level 80, you might get bored quicker and leave.

This is exactly right. Its all about the business not the player. You are already paying them, therefore you dont improve thier bottom-line or make them look better for stock purposes. What they need is an increase in number of active accounts. They could care less who you are, how many 80s or 85s you have, allthey want is more active subs to show stockholders they arent bleeding out. EoS. Ingenious.

• sanman7890sanman7890 Member Posts: 96

Originally posted by aslan132

Originally posted by Dakirn

They already have you.

This is exactly right. Its all about the business not the player. You are already paying them, therefore you dont improve thier bottom-line or make them look better for stock purposes. What they need is an increase in number of active accounts. They could care less who you are, how many 80s or 85s you have, allthey want is more active subs to show stockholders they arent bleeding out. EoS. Ingenious.

But I COULD help the business if they let me PAY for a free ding to 80.

I swear this is a gold mine and Blizzard is just barely tapping its true potential.

Originally posted by sanman7890

I swear this is a gold mine and Blizzard is just barely tapping its true potential.

The question is how far can they push things before there's a backlash.  They have a business model that works and works well.  If they push their luck in nickling and diming, there's a risk they could kill the golden goose.

• lintuxielintuxie Member Posts: 1

i agree with the post im not an adictive player of WOW but i think it^s better to make WOW free to play i play jade dynasty buy ZEN and aion come^s also with free to play.

now you pay blizzard and so you must play and blizzard founds away to let the $$ come in

• fenistilfenistil Member Posts: 3,005

Originally posted by Loke666

To me it sounds like leveling have become boring and instead of fixing it they offer a levelup to old players comming back.

they are treating the symptom, not the problem.

They know it is too late to 'fix' it.

They tried to make 'levelling' itneresting again to WoW-average player in Cata by redoing 1-60 experience.

They made huge mistakes though.  They wanted to make it more interesting for players again ,but they speeded it up + soloized it more also in terms of visual experience by phasing you hardly see other players. Content don't require them to play it as well.

So instead of making it more interesting in long-term , they made it even more 'skippable'.

Of course making 'levelling' more 'demanding' a la WoW Vanilla , would also alienate some of their current playerbase - but Blizzard shaped this playerbase themself.

So there is no win for Blizzard imo.  It is just lose-lose strategy.  Many other mmorpg's have it similarly.

They don't want to resign from significant portion of their playerbase by making mmorpg's more like mmorpg's and less like lobby / instanced / solo games ,but at same time by doing what they are doing they have to compete with games like MOBAs and FPS - which is kinda ridiculous for me.

Anyway - WoW will not change. It is and it will be basically instance / cross-server based game like Starcraft. 

You play in instances (instanced dungeons , raids, BG & arenas) using matchmaking system a la Starcraft. 

Open world / virtual world - was sacrificed LONG ago. Now they just admit it more.

Saying that - for those that like virtual worlds mmorpg's - it is pointless to look for gameplay you want from WoW / Lotro / EQ2 ,etc - those games choosed their route long ago and consequently are doing it now.

Also some other mmorpg are following. For example FFXIV 2.0 will be basically WoW-clone - focusing on instances , cross-server LFG confirmed.

• OzzallosOzzallos Runes of Magic CorrespondentMember UncommonPosts: 35

I'd be willing to bet the rationale behind the boost to 80 is that a majority of people playing for this long looking to get friends back already have toons at or near the level cap. In fact, I would say that the new SoR is functioning in much the same way the old one did: by giving the returnee a reason to keep playing with their high level friend instead of the high level friend rolling up a new toon from scratch just to play with their similiarly low level friend and content they've already been through half a dozen times.

If true, it aligns with the character xfer to the player's realm and the free upgrade to Cataclysm; effectively keeping both player and returnee together to redevolpe that insiduous habit forming relationship.