Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

What is there to do at 80?

Comments

• fiontarfiontar Member UncommonPosts: 3,682

Originally posted by Quesa

All I got from your post was I'm a marketing rep for ArenaNet with no real facts but maybe it's just me missing 3-4 other posts you've made in this thread explaining how GW2 is so innovative and revolutionary.

No, it's more me getting tired of having to explain the game over and over again, when there are plenty of resources, including those in sticky threads in this very forum, that provide all the details one could ever need. A few months ago I tried to accomodate just about every thread with overly detailed posts. Beyond that now, sorry. :)

BTW, this one is probably the best place to start:

http://www.mmorpg.com/discussion2.cfm/thread/337506/Guild-Wars-2-Mass-info-for-the-uninitiated.html

Want to know more about GW2 and why there is so much buzz? Start here: Guild Wars 2 Mass Info for the Uninitiated

• BlindchanceBlindchance Member UncommonPosts: 1,112

Originally posted by Painlezz

Unfortunately the leveling, grinding, questing, gear, and other "MMORPG" elements don't seem to have anything to do with PvP or Endgame in GW2.

I 100% agree with your question and i've had the same one... What do you do at max level in this game? 

Unfortunately for some and fortunately for others.

When it comest to the OP's question. Whatever you do when you finish all the content in a game, you put it away on a shelf. The end game question has no meaning in MMRPGs except sandbox MMORPGs with player owned territories, rebust economy, conquest and politics.

GW2 like many other MMORPG titles provides an illusion of end game content: competitive pvp, WvWvW ( I personally hope they will add more maps to this mode ), exploring content of different races, starting a new character, waiting for a new expansion pack. As long I know there will be no raiding content. GW2 is a game, it has it's end.

• aesperusaesperus Member UncommonPosts: 5,135

Originally posted by fiontar

All I got from your post was I'm a marketing rep for ArenaNet with no real facts but maybe it's just me missing 3-4 other posts you've made in this thread explaining how GW2 is so innovative and revolutionary.

No, it's more me getting tired of having to explain the game over and over again, when there are plenty of resources, including those in sticky threads in this very forum, that provide all the details one could ever need. A few months ago I tried to accomodate just about every thread with overly detailed posts. Beyond that now, sorry. :)

BTW, this one is probably the best place to start:

http://www.mmorpg.com/discussion2.cfm/thread/337506/Guild-Wars-2-Mass-info-for-the-uninitiated.html

+1

It's kind of getting old having new threads pop up over the same questions that have already been answered months ago. Repeatedly and often. It's almost like everytime the slightest bit of news on this game pops up, even if it's like 'asura week' or something small like that, we get the same general questions necroed all over again.

I really wish more people would read the info (if they are truly interested in having these questions answered and are not, in fact, trolling), instead of this very juvenile attitude of 'i think you're game sucks, prove to me why i'm wrong'.

I'd also add that, in addition to you're link, going to: http://www.guildwars2guru.com/forum/questions-answers-f4.html

Has a huge wealth of info on the game, as well as 'frequently asked questions'.

• MeowheadMeowhead Member UncommonPosts: 3,716

Originally posted by moosecatlol

People sometimes say that patience is a virtue.

Last I checked, there's only Courage, Justice, and Resolve.

:( I almost had a haiku until the third line blocked me. Would have been a triple play had the Japanese not had such strict poetry.

Except it's not 7-9-7, it's 5-7-5... and it's syllables, not words.  Well, actually technically it's 'On' in Japanese (Japanese consonant/vowel combinations), but for American haiku generally it's syllables.

Patience is Virtue?

Courage, Justice and Resolve

That is all there is.

• BaniscoBanisco Member Posts: 240

I wonder why now all the games need an endgame (im not saying GW2 doesnt have, because it has, PvP, WvW, dungeons, meta events, etc) cant you just buy the game, play it and enjoy it? if you like it you keep playing if not you move along, you dont need a carrot on a stick making you play more and more, its just a game not a job.

• Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441

Originally posted by vtravi

I am really excited for GW2. I love evrything that I am hearing about the game. The one thing I am hearing nothing about is what endgame content is. I hear there are no traditional raids, no gear progression, The pvp is the same from 1 to 80, so what is the plan at level cap? What is there for the player to work towards?

I love that they are taking MMO's in a slightly different direction in getting away from the gear treadmill, but the lack of a sub fee makes me worry that they have no incentive to keep players interested after they get to cap.

When you are maxed out you have access to the entire game and every zone will still at least be slightly challenging no matter what level it is made for.

But I guess a lot of people will work for titles, their guild & guildhall and PvP score fortheir server.

Others will collect armors and other stuff. Some people will get bored and quit others play it for years depending on what kind of player they are. But even one who level up a character to max or 2 still get's value enough for the money, the game cost like a single player game.

• IPolygonIPolygon Member UncommonPosts: 707

Q: What is there to do at 80?

A: You are free to play and enjoy the game with all the freedom you can get. You won't need to get upscaled to be competitive and you will be on equal footing with all encounters in the game world. You've reached the peak of the highest mountain in the game and enjoyed the most beautiful sunrise in that world.

Fear not, the next content updates will add more dungeons, more DE's and the best thing is, you can do all of that and still get challenged.

• ShakyMoShakyMo Member CommonPosts: 7,207
    Player vs player :D
  • DreadbladeDreadblade Member Posts: 384

Originally posted by Findariel

Originally posted by William12

same as every other game

run dungeons

grind PVP

except no raids.

You forget reputation grind and achievements ... ?

Personally I don't believe GW2 will be that revolutionary. I don't expect too much of dynamic events, how long will it stay new and exciting and when does it become predictable of will you get used to it, like f.e. the Diablo dungeons? I do expect more of the usual reputation grind and a lot of silly title stuff which aren'tr exactly exciting game features in any game.

Which doesn't mean GW2 won't be a very good game. But there's nothing wrong with the usual kind of content, as long it's done in a way that it's fun.

GW2 provides more fundamental design innovation than all the major MMOs since WoW was released, combined; and that is not overly enthusiastic hyperbole.

Back to the original topic, I'd point out that not only is the entire game end game, but if you look at the shear size of the game as a whole, it clearly offers more raw content than just about any game, at launch, in the history of the MMO genre. The ways in which that content is provided, combined with the fact that you can never "outlevel" content in GW2, just acts as a multiplier to the already massive amounts of content available.

We know this how, I mean that is a pretty bold statement for a game that is not even in public beta test as of yet. Just saying.......... I mean have you played this game yet?

• UnlightUnlight Member Posts: 2,540

I am really excited for GW2. I love evrything that I am hearing about the game. The one thing I am hearing nothing about is what endgame content is. I hear there are no traditional raids, no gear progression, The pvp is the same from 1 to 80, so what is the plan at level cap? What is there for the player to work towards?

I love that they are taking MMO's in a slightly different direction in getting away from the gear treadmill, but the lack of a sub fee makes me worry that they have no incentive to keep players interested after they get to cap.

If you love everything you're hearing about the game, you'll be relieved to know that what you're hearing about is what you'll still be getting at 80.  The game doesn't shift gears on you and change into something different.  The experience will be similar to what you've seen from 1-79, only moreso. 

Beyond that, you'll be sidekicked down to the level of the zoen you're in if you're already above it, so everything you missed while levelling is still perfectly viable content.  You won't be able to coast through it, you'll actually be able to play through it.

Next, Tyria is beautiful and mysterious with tons of hidden things to discover for explorers.  Trudging across the landscape will yield surprising results.  There's always a reason to climb that mountain, dive into that lake, enter those woods or follow that animal trail.  You just never know if you're going to come across something unexpected.  This is especially true with dynamic events because the zone could be quite different on subsequents visits, than it was on your first.  Plus, ArenaNet said that they would be adding new things into the world without announcing it, so you could feasible stumble upon brand new content that just wasn't there before, and maybe, has never even been seen by another yet.

Lastly, even if you're not an altoholic, the professions play so differently from one another that creating a new character and running through the game again will provide a different enough experience that it will still be interesting.  Going through once as a Warrior, then later as a Mesmer will likely feel completely different.  The unique storyline that you'll see if you switch races will be a nice bonus to the actual gameplay.

There are other things like PvP and explorable mode dungeons, but the reasons I listed are the things that will keep me interested past the cap. 

• jondifooljondifool Member UncommonPosts: 1,143

Originally posted by Dreadblade

Originally posted by Findariel

same as every other game

run dungeons

grind PVP

except no raids.

You forget reputation grind and achievements ... ?

Personally I don't believe GW2 will be that revolutionary. I don't expect too much of dynamic events, how long will it stay new and exciting and when does it become predictable of will you get used to it, like f.e. the Diablo dungeons? I do expect more of the usual reputation grind and a lot of silly title stuff which aren'tr exactly exciting game features in any game.

Which doesn't mean GW2 won't be a very good game. But there's nothing wrong with the usual kind of content, as long it's done in a way that it's fun.

GW2 provides more fundamental design innovation than all the major MMOs since WoW was released, combined; and that is not overly enthusiastic hyperbole.

Back to the original topic, I'd point out that not only is the entire game end game, but if you look at the shear size of the game as a whole, it clearly offers more raw content than just about any game, at launch, in the history of the MMO genre. The ways in which that content is provided, combined with the fact that you can never "outlevel" content in GW2, just acts as a multiplier to the already massive amounts of content available.

We know this how, I mean that is a pretty bold statement for a game that is not even in public beta test as of yet. Just saying.......... I mean have you played this game yet?

On the other hand , that could be the reason that GW2 is actual on peoples radar.

Taking fiontars statements one by one!

that must be absolutly true ! I could be missing something, but i isn't it a statement general accepted,(though we discuss if inovate is the right word).  And that means it most be others job to prove it wrong, and until that accept it.

Anyway anyone can look it up themself. None have had a convincing thread about GW2 not being in that position so far here.

Back to the original topic, I'd point out that not only is the entire game end game, but if you look at the shear size of the game as a whole, it clearly offers more raw content than just about any game, at launch, in the history of the MMO genre.

the point here is it have been stated by arenanet that it has more content than GW1 including its 3 chapters and 1 expansion together. That put it way ahead of most MMO releases. And since ArenaNets isn't caught in anything that should make us disbelive what they say so far, this is also a statement that we could take as true.

The ways in which that content is provided, combined with the fact that you can never "outlevel" content in GW2, just acts as a multiplier to the already massive amounts of content available.

The last thing, must then be true as well.

To conclude we don't need to play the game to arrive at that conclussion. Just following it is enough.

• UnlightUnlight Member Posts: 2,540

Or you're expecting someone to come up with a square wheel that will roll.  True, GW2 won't have that level of innovation.

• Creslin321Creslin321 Member Posts: 5,359

@OP:

Regarding my beliefs on this topic, I believe I am probably an anomoly on these forums.  Still, I think that many other more casual players share my viewpoint, so I wanted to share it.

I have played many different MMORPGs, but only once in my gaming career have a quit a game due to lack of content (AoC).  Almost every single other time I quit was due to me just getting bored with the game.  There was still stuff to do mind you, I just didn't care to do it.

So really, when I hear things like "what is there to do at 80?"  I am not as concerned as other people.  The fact of the matter is, I am more worried about whether the game will be fun enough for me to even get to 80!  And if I get to 80 and I'm still having fun, I will invariably find stuff to do or create an alt or something.

I think that sometimes we focus too much on the quantity of content, but ignore the quality of the content.  We always ask the question, "What is there to do?"  But we rarely ask the question, "Am I actually going to enjoy doing it?"  And personally, I think the latter is a far more important question.

Are you team Azeroth, team Tyria, or team Jacob?

• CognitoCognito Member Posts: 198

Originally posted by Lord.Bachus

Originally posted by Magnum2103

A few things:

• Obtaining missed skill points

• Achievements

• Finishing older zones (you are automatically scaled down to the level of the area you are in, so you can experience the content you missed at any level)

• World vs. World PvP

• Casual Conquest matches

• Attempt to participate in tournament level Conquest matches

• Reroll a new character and experience their personal story

• Finish all dungeons in explorable mode

• Wait for inevitable content updates, DLC, and expansions

• Play another MMO knowing that you don't have to pay a subscription fee if you decide to return to do any of the above.

Thx for the info, i didn't know alot of these things you listed.

The fact that you get scaled down to do old content sounds great.

In the orriginal GW, 80% of the content was maxed level content, i am expecting this from GW2 too, not necessarilly 80%, but atleast a huge chunck.

The Endgame of GW2 will be mostly PvP and WvWvW, which is much more challenging then PvE.

I thought the PvP and WvWvW was available at all levels? From what I have seen your character is scaled up to 80 when you enter "The Mist".

Though I guess I'm kind of missing the point, as PvP and WvWvW will be the main source of gameplay when you do hit level 80...

Put through the personal paces of my crippled fingers.

• Superduper69Superduper69 Member Posts: 363

At lvl 80 u will be doing same things that you have been doing since level 1. PVP, W V W V W, dungeon crawling and dynamic events.

• DiSpLiFFDiSpLiFF Member UncommonPosts: 602

same as every other game

run dungeons

grind PVP

except no raids.

sums it up quite nicely

Originally posted by Superduper69

At lvl 80 u will be doing same things that you have been doing since level 1. PVP, W V W V W, dungeon crawling and dynamic events.

Damn. Then there better be a LOT of content to cover if we are going to be running them from level 1 and continue after we hit cap.

• L0C0ManL0C0Man Member UncommonPosts: 1,065

Originally posted by Cognito

I thought the PvP and WvWvW was available at all levels? From what I have seen your character is scaled up to 80 when you enter "The Mist".

Though I guess I'm kind of missing the point, as PvP and WvWvW will be the main source of gameplay when you do hit level 80...

It's available at all levels, however that doesn't mean everyone is the same.

IIRC in structured PvP (AKA Battlegrounds) everyone's gear and skills are normalized so that everyone is the same. Not so in WvW, you're upgraded to level 80, but your skills and gear will be the same than your current level. So that basically means that if you enter WvW at level 1 you won't be one shot like you would in other MMOs, but a "true" level 80 will still have the advantage since he'll have better gear and will have unlocked more skills to use.

What can men do against such reckless hate?

Originally posted by L0C0Man

IIRC in structured PvP (AKA Battlegrounds) everyone's gear and skills are normalized so that everyone is the same. Not so in WvW, you're upgraded to level 80, but your skills and gear will be the same than your current level. So that basically means that if you enter WvW at level 1 you won't be one shot like you would in other MMOs, but a "true" level 80 will still have the advantage since he'll have better gear and will have unlocked more skills to use.

Please explain.

Ahh - that clears it up a bit. Thanks.

Please explain.

I think it's going to be almost exactly how WZs work in SWTOR.  You get statistically buffed to max level, but you don't get the max level gear, and you are stuck with the skills you already had.

Originally posted by Creslin321

Please explain.

I think it's going to be almost exactly how WZs work in SWTOR.  You get statistically buffed to max level, but you don't get the max level gear, and you are stuck with the skills you already had.

I thought there was no such thing as better gear in GW2?

Please explain.

Hmmm, I never had that impression.  If you watch some of the videos, you can see them getting gear loot drops that seem remarkably similar to loot in other MMO's.  GW1 had better gear as well.  I think it's just not so much of a focus as it is in gear-grind MMO's is all.

• IPolygonIPolygon Member UncommonPosts: 707

Damn. Then there better be a LOT of content to cover if we are going to be running them from level 1 and continue after we hit cap.

They said there will be around 1500 DEs on release and it's known the game will have about 25 zones. That makes around 60 quests on release per zone. Once you've seen enough and all DEs, you can jump into the dungeons and play them repeatedly too, because DEs also occur in dungeons. There's a lot of variety in the game and systems to refresh the experience.

Please explain.

Hmmm, I never had that impression.  If you watch some of the videos, you can see them getting gear loot drops that seem remarkably similar to loot in other MMO's.  GW1 had better gear as well.  I think it's just not so much of a focus as it is in gear-grind MMO's is all.

The impression i got mostly from articles and posts here is that GW2 offer better gear only in terms of asthetics and no advantage what so ever in PVE or PVP since everyone is equal and only thign that differentiates players is skills on your hot bar. Did i miss something here?