Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Would you play DarkFall if?

RenoakuRenoaku Member EpicPosts: 3,157

1. They made class specific armors, and made this feel like a game of World OF Warcraft, for example you could only cast certain spells or use certain skills this has been talked about.

2. They Restricted Crafting Skills to a certain number of skills or crafts a person could do just like traditional MMORPG based games which is the only reason I ever played darkfall before because it didn't have limits.

3. Made Crafters Weak?

4. What if they changed Full Loot PVP, or did something serious dumb like fixed it so you could repair items.

5. Wiping All Characters for DF 2.0 I hope its worthit.

6. However a good change is fixing it so that Banks do not Change Locations when you store your items in them and format your pc or unsubscribe for awhile they stay exactly how you had them. Another great change to have would be to add an enchanting list in game get rid off the guessing for those type of crafts.

http://forums.darkfallonline.com/forumdisplay.php?f=33

If you have read their suggestions then you have seen a lot of lame ideas such as Lets restrict trade skills to certain races, or lets limit people to what they can do or lets make crafters a weak class.

I kinda look foward to seeing DarkFall 2.0 a bit more like Skyrim, but how many people would actually still called DarkFall a SandBox MMORPG if it added these type of restrictions to a game. Now if it had armors such as bonus fire damage jewelery like in the Sigle Player/CoOP game called Championsf of Norath I see no issue, but the moment it starts making restrictions we would have to label this game a WOW clone or something similar and remove it from being a sandbox based title.

Also like seriously I hear all this talk about DF 2.0 I want to know exactly when its going to be released as soon as I heard about my characters being wiped I unsubscribed I wont put a dime into a game to waste my time on it to have it wiped so I would like to know when DF 2.0 is actually going to be made live.

Comments

• youngkgyoungkg Member UncommonPosts: 357

Yes i would image

• TROLL_HARDTROLL_HARD Member Posts: 312

Originally posted by Renoaku

... as soon as I heard about my characters being wiped I unsubscribed I wont put a dime into a game to waste my time on it to have it wiped ...

Exactly.

• IchmenIchmen Member UncommonPosts: 1,228

this thread makes it sound like people would only sign up to DFo if it was a WoW clone O_o

while i personally wont play DFo now that i know more about it and find it goes against my playstyle.. i personally dont think it would be the same if it had "racal" armor or did the whole wowish setup. 

what would better to do, would be to make racal armor textures. 

example: 

right now you roll an Ork toon, he puts on brand new plate armor, its all crisp and shiny.. but that is not what orks are to people.. ask anyone what they view an ork should be and they will compare it to a pig.. loud, smelly.. big and dirty. 

so if you put plate on an ork, it should be dented, dirty and messy even though its brand new and everything. 

put the same armor on a human and its all shiny and clean  ect... 

that would be better then a racal lock of gear, as you allow across world armor craft trades. a high level crafter who is an ork can make high quality armor and sell it to a human.. or whatever without worrying about their gear being racal locked.

mind you i have not played DFo, so my point of view is rather limited in relation to the politics and game mechanics.. 

• Angier2758Angier2758 Member UncommonPosts: 1,026

I'd play if it wasn't FFA pvp and full loot pvp.

If sandboxes could get rid of those 2 things they'd do much better.

• RealbigdealRealbigdeal Member UncommonPosts: 1,666

4. What if they changed Full Loot PVP, or did something serious dumb like fixed it so you could repair items.

1st of all, stop reading DF forum's suggestion. You shouldnt take any of them seriously. Its mostly made up by trolls. If not, the DF devs don't read them unlike the MO forum.

As for number 4 they didnt mention anything about full loot so i doubt they will change that aspect.

As for repair, the reason repair is so bad in theme park mmo's, its just cuz it cost almost nothing to do it and it doesnt require a crafting skill. (You just need to see an npc and he will gladly repair for almost free.) If its done in the right way, it might cost halve or more of what it is required to make the item. In that case, it would be perfect. Up to date, all we heard was scarverging skills. you will either need to find the peaces required to  make the item you want to repair or you will just need to find 2 different 5.46 low dura weapon to turn it into a 5.46+5.46=10.92(just an idea)

Most of your what if are stuff mentioned by the devs, not the players. For number 4, they only covered the repair aspect thats gonna be more like a scarverging system. This is mostly used for sandbox mmorpg's so there's nothing bad with that.

To answer your question, i would still play 2.0, cuz i'm done with 1.0 just because of the mention of a wipe and the lack of progression increase after that announcement. And i doubt they will change anything to the full loot.

C:\Users\FF\Desktop\spin move.gif

• Recon48Recon48 Member UncommonPosts: 218

Placing limitations on how many skills, weapons and crafts a character can specialize doesn't make this World of Warcraft, nor does it disqualify the game from being a sandbox.  I think for a player to have a set number of skill points will help the game.  One of the things that discouraged me when I tried DF was just that fact.  Any one character could specialize in everything... this comnpletely removes player interdependency, and hinders the game economy.  I cant see why they couldnt keep combat and crafting skill points seperate from one another, and add in a universal pool.  An example would be (just making up numbers):  a character can spend 100  Combat points on combat skills, 100 Trade points in crafting/gathering skills and have 150 General points set aside that can be spent either on Skill Attributes (Run, Jump, Rest, Pack Mule, Mounted Riding, Swim) or, if a player chose to, they could instead allocate all or some of their General points into further combat/crafting/gathering skills.

• RealbigdealRealbigdeal Member UncommonPosts: 1,666

Originally posted by Ichmen

this thread makes it sound like people would only sign up to DFo if it was a WoW clone O_o

while i personally wont play DFo now that i know more about it and find it goes against my playstyle.. i personally dont think it would be the same if it had "racal" armor or did the whole wowish setup. 

what would better to do, would be to make racal armor textures. 

example: 

right now you roll an Ork toon, he puts on brand new plate armor, its all crisp and shiny.. but that is not what orks are to people.. ask anyone what they view an ork should be and they will compare it to a pig.. loud, smelly.. big and dirty. 

so if you put plate on an ork, it should be dented, dirty and messy even though its brand new and everything. 

put the same armor on a human and its all shiny and clean  ect... 

that would be better then a racal lock of gear, as you allow across world armor craft trades. a high level crafter who is an ork can make high quality armor and sell it to a human.. or whatever without worrying about their gear being racal locked.

mind you i have not played DFo, so my point of view is rather limited in relation to the politics and game mechanics.. 

Racial armor textures, thats how DF works BTW. Every peaces of armor looks different from leather armor to Full Plate. robe Infernal and dragon armors are the only ones that looks  the same for anyone

For you're 1st line, you're right and wrong at the same time. While DFO can easily be like wow with restriction and instances like dungeons and battle grounds, they just wont compete.

Wow is mostly a lore game, thats why most ppl enjoy that game. Its an item base. The goal of most players is to get rich only to get the best stuff in game just to have the power to kill the lich king solo(Sarcasm). Finally, its an arena game. 40 vs 40 pvp battlegrounds, 5vs5 arenas and 1on1 duels(I can hardly call that PVP)

DF is nothing like wow. The lore sux to be honnest, but its not the reason why ppl are playing DF. Its a open world pk conquest game, deeper then a RTS game. If the devs tried to emulate wow, it would fail. There's only few items in total in DF and its easy to count on paper. Thats why its a full loot mmorpg. If it wasnt, the game would be over way too quickly since there'S not enough bosses to kill and you can kill them all with 2 or 4 players. The best item set to wear for pvp are cheap. They only seem so expensive because you can lose them.

The difference between a theme park and a sandbox.

C:\Users\FF\Desktop\spin move.gif

• ScypherothScypheroth Member Posts: 264

a sandbox isnt a sandbox without world pvp and full loot everythign else is just WoW....thi sgame is great and i would be playing it right now if i wasnt waiting for 2.0. game is teh best MMO out there in my books so far...one of my top favorites and in the top 10 prob number 2 for me.

• KellerKeller Member UncommonPosts: 602

I know a lot of players who have played DF or are still playing it. Quitting group is larger than subscriped group. Still I haven't heard any of them mention one of your suggestions to come back or as improvement to the game.

What I did hear:

• Skillcap

• Localized banking

• No teleportation

• Improved crafting

• Viable archer and melee builds

• Better security, certain hacks have been active ingame from launch

• Limit ARAC clans

• Social skills

I haven't anyone ever mention WoW in any of the discussions to counter a point of improvement.

• username509username509 Member CommonPosts: 635

Originally posted by Khealler

I know a lot of players who have played DF or are still playing it. Quitting group is larger than subscriped group. Still I haven't heard any of them mention one of your suggestions to come back or as improvement to the game.

What I did hear:

• Skillcap

• Localized banking

• No teleportation

• Improved crafting

• Limit ARAC clans

• Social skills

I haven't anyone ever mention WoW in any of the discussions to counter a point of improvement.

You forgot reduce the skill and stat grind.

Never trust a screenshot or a youtube video without a version stamp!

• DAS1337DAS1337 Member UncommonPosts: 2,610

1. They made class specific armors, and made this feel like a game of World OF Warcraft, for example you could only cast certain spells or use certain skills this has been talked about.

I think racial armor, not class armor, should look different from other racial armor.  It gives different races a unique appearance, instead of everyone looking the same regaurdless of their race.  I feel that some abilities could be racial, but I wouldn't want spell restrictions from the general spells based on race.

2. They Restricted Crafting Skills to a certain number of skills or crafts a person could do just like traditional MMORPG based games which is the only reason I ever played darkfall before because it didn't have limits.

This game desperately needs limits.  It needs a skill point cap that encompasses all skills in the game.  If you want to be a master crafter, then you need to devote points into it.  You shouldn't be able to be an amazing warrior/archer/mage/crafter/gatherer all at the same time.  It ruins supply and demand, which ruins the economy.  It eliminates replayability and the need for multiple characters per account.  It also makes it take forever to become strong enough to compete with seasoned veterans.  A huge reason why most people don't play this game

3. Made Crafters Weak?

Yes, see above.  Make resources very heavy for people who haven't gone deep into a gatherer skill progression.  This hurts profit made by people trying to pick on the weak.  Ultima Online did this very well.  Unrefined resources were incredibly heavy for players.  You were forced to bank often and most people didn't bother you because they couldn't carry your supplies with them.

Horrible Idea.  FFA PvP must stay.  I can see an inventory only loot system working, but I don't think it's necessary.

5. Wiping All Characters for DF 2.0 I hope its worthit.

100% Worth it.  However, if there are exploits in their skill system after launching DF 2.0, it will end up the same after a year or so.  Which is why a skill point cap and a revamped skill system to support it would be so huge for DF.

6. However a good change is fixing it so that Banks do not Change Locations when you store your items in them and format your pc or unsubscribe for awhile they stay exactly how you had them. Another great change to have would be to add an enchanting list in game get rid off the guessing for those type of crafts.

I always thought that skill progression should be more straight forward, and not just enchanting.  Everything is hidden for the player, and they must find answers online or scour different NPC's to figure out what they can purchase, and when they can do so.  This should all be represented in the new UI that they are supposed to have.  It can be greyed out, and the description can tell you when you can unlock it based on skill level and gold.  At least players would have an idea of where they are headed.

http://forums.darkfallonline.com/forumdisplay.php?f=33

If you have read their suggestions then you have seen a lot of lame ideas such as Lets restrict trade skills to certain races, or lets limit people to what they can do or lets make crafters a weak class.

I kinda look foward to seeing DarkFall 2.0 a bit more like Skyrim, but how many people would actually still called DarkFall a SandBox MMORPG if it added these type of restrictions to a game. Now if it had armors such as bonus fire damage jewelery like in the Sigle Player/CoOP game called Championsf of Norath I see no issue, but the moment it starts making restrictions we would have to label this game a WOW clone or something similar and remove it from being a sandbox based title.

Also like seriously I hear all this talk about DF 2.0 I want to know exactly when its going to be released as soon as I heard about my characters being wiped I unsubscribed I wont put a dime into a game to waste my time on it to have it wiped so I would like to know when DF 2.0 is actually going to be made live.

That's fine, but ultimately a wipe in skills would be the best thing for DF.  It really would drastically boost subscriptions.  It push for players to keep their bank vaults though.  I wouldn't want to get rid of everything that the players have worked for.  If their UI is polished and their new graphical enhancements are solid, I could see quite a few people sticking around. 

I honestly think that you could take RIFT's graphics, server structure and UI, add FFA PvP and full loot, add a skill cap and a skill setup that supports it.  3rd person, tab targetting.  Strip away the levels and progress by skill, spell and ability points.  Add territory and siege warfare, as well as naval warfare.  Add houses and ships.  Make all dungeons public, no instances anywhere.  Crafters build everything in the game.  Add a very harsh murder system and safe cities.  And I think you could still call it a sandbox.  I think it would be a very successful one at that.  As long as you limit instant travel to mages and don't add LFG mechanics into the game.. I think you'd be able to keep even the sandbox purists interested, as well as attracting new players in droves.  Easy to learn, hard to master. 

• wrightstufwrightstuf Member UncommonPosts: 659

Not no, but hell no

• KellerKeller Member UncommonPosts: 602

Originally posted by username509

What I did hear:

• Skillcap

• Localized banking

• No teleportation

• Improved crafting

• Limit ARAC clans

• Social skills

You forgot reduce the skill and stat grind.

true that

• thinktank001thinktank001 Member UncommonPosts: 2,144

Originally posted by Recon48

Placing limitations on how many skills, weapons and crafts a character can specialize doesn't make this World of Warcraft, nor does it disqualify the game from being a sandbox.  I think for a player to have a set number of skill points will help the game.  One of the things that discouraged me when I tried DF was just that fact.  Any one character could specialize in everything... this comnpletely removes player interdependency, and hinders the game economy.  I cant see why they couldnt keep combat and crafting skill points seperate from one another, and add in a universal pool.  An example would be (just making up numbers):  a character can spend 100  Combat points on combat skills, 100 Trade points in crafting/gathering skills and have 150 General points set aside that can be spent either on Skill Attributes (Run, Jump, Rest, Pack Mule, Mounted Riding, Swim) or, if a player chose to, they could instead allocate all or some of their General points into further combat/crafting/gathering skills.

They could do that, or just limit the amount of active and passive skills that are applied to your character.  

• dave6660dave6660 Member UncommonPosts: 2,699

What I did hear:

• Skillcap

• Localized banking

• No teleportation

• Improved crafting

• Limit ARAC clans

• Social skills

That's a good start but they need to put more sand in the sandbox.  When I tried DF it felt like a big open empty world.

“There are certain queer times and occasions in this strange mixed affair we call life when a man takes this whole universe for a vast practical joke, though the wit thereof he but dimly discerns, and more than suspects that the joke is at nobody's expense but his own.”
    -- Herman Melville

• tazarconantazarconan Member Posts: 1,013

If it was in combat exactly like Mount&blade...There would be tons of burning.

• asdarasdar Member UncommonPosts: 662

Originally posted by dave6660

What I did hear:
    Skillcap Localized banking No teleportation Improved crafting Viable archer and melee builds Better security, certain hacks have been active ingame from launch Limit ARAC clans Social skills

That's a good start but they need to put more sand in the sandbox.  When I tried DF it felt like a big open empty world.

This is the way I feel. They need more to do. I'd be for no grind at all, and I mean none. Max stats and skills for all right from the start of the game. Make PvP equal and rewards should be things like houses, weapons, armor, trophies and fame.

Asdar

• rojoArcueidrojoArcueid Member EpicPosts: 10,722

would i play DF if.......?

NO

do i like DF?

NO

• CallidorCallidor Member Posts: 371

Originally posted by Angier2758

I'd play if it wasn't FFA pvp and full loot pvp.

If sandboxes could get rid of those 2 things they'd do much better.

I liked Shadowbanes approach, you couldnt take their gear, but everything in their inventory was fair game. It made playing a stealing based thief one of the most enjoyable experiences I ever had with an MMO.

• JakdstripperJakdstripper Member RarePosts: 2,410

1) they already did this with the armor proficency. encumbearnce greately reduces spell efficiency. i dont feel it requires any further restrictions.

2) dotn really care. DF is a pvp game and i play it to pvp not to craft.

3) what?... as in make crafters so they can't have pvp skills? absolutely not. you only have 1 character per account in this game. there is no way anyone will play a crafter if his only character is absolutely usless in pvp. crafting skills/restriction should not interfere with pvp skills/restrictios. forcing people to be gimped in pvp if they want crafting is not the way to go.

4) i personaly dont have a problem with full loot, but i would play the game even if it had no full loot. a lot more people would.

5) wiping doesn't fix anything in the long term. 6 months or a year down the road you are right back to the same huge gap in stats between nubes and vets. this game ABSOLUTELY NEEDS an attributes cap. the endless attribute progression just does not work.

6) yes i agree that banks should be only local not server wide. it makes people actually have to transport goods back and forth and makes pvp logistics a lot more interesting.