Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Guild Wars 2 Vs Tera - Combat - Core Comparison Youtube Series

Comments

• EmrendilEmrendil Member Posts: 199

Originally posted by Master10K

Originally posted by gladosrev2

Agree that TERA combat looked more fleshed out and detailed. But who cares. Even if it had the most brilliant and amazing combat system ever designed with virtual reality controls and what not, I would still pick GW2. Because TERA is stuck in the old mindset, hand-held questing and grind I hate. It's a game from the past decade. GW2 is the game of this decade. Combat is just one small system, GW2 wins in everything else.. Besides, even then GW2 combat is lightyears away from most other MMO's. I would say only AoC could rival it, but not even sure about that, it's not nearly as dynamic as GW2 is.

Exactly. Combat is only one facet of an MMORPG and there's a lot more you'll be doing besides experiencing the combat. Such as: Questing, Exploration, Instanced PvP, Open World PvP Dungeon running, Guilds, etc. GW2 seems to be more complete package when it comes to improving these features, within the themepark MMORPG genre. TERA is simply about improving combat. That may be all a person wants from their MMORPG, but even I'm already tired of the current model and I've only been playing MMO for about 2 years.

Yes, but it's a big facet. Questing, Instanced PvP, Open World PvP, Dungeon running it's pretty much combat. Grinding in Tera is not bad at all for me just because of the fun combat system.

• Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441

Originally posted by Emrendil

Originally posted by Master10K

Exactly. Combat is only one facet of an MMORPG and there's a lot more you'll be doing besides experiencing the combat. Such as: Questing, Exploration, Instanced PvP, Open World PvP Dungeon running, Guilds, etc. GW2 seems to be more complete package when it comes to improving these features, within the themepark MMORPG genre. TERA is simply about improving combat. That may be all a person wants from their MMORPG, but even I'm already tired of the current model and I've only been playing MMO for about 2 years.

Yes, but it's a big facet. Questing, Instanced PvP, Open World PvP, Dungeon running it's pretty much combat. Grinding in Tera is pretty much fun for me just because of the combat system.

The real question is if it is fun enough to keep you busy more than 3 months or not.

I think TERA is pretty good game, but I have the feeling that if i buy it (undecided yet) I would just play it for a few months.

GW2s exploration and DEs makes me think I will play it longer.

I don't kbnow that for sure of course but neither does anyone else here. I just played enough Tera to get off the start island a little more, and I just seen others play in GW2. To really be sure I would need at least a month in both games.

• dimasokdimasok Member UncommonPosts: 183

Originally posted by deziwright

not even a public video, waste of forums space lol. combat in gw2 is generic. teras is action oriented. tera wins, game over.

Action-oriented, boring and stupid wrapped around an unimaginabive, dreary and bland game that is all about collect quest. This is honestly the worst MMO I ever played and made me appreciate games like Rift and SWTOR way more.

Its pretty with nice characters silhouttes and that's its only redeeming feature

I understand when you guys compare SWTOR/RIFT and others to GW2 but comparing it to a piece of turd like TERA?! Turd that they expect to shell out money for BOTH the game AND a subscription while GW2 is FREE after purchase?

This is absolutely ludicrous that anyone is willing to give TERA any chances of surviving this! 

• XasapisXasapis Member RarePosts: 6,337

No need to get sentimental and produce stupidly polarised kind of arguments.

It is very much possible to equally like both games, for different reasons. Well, in the world of non fanatics it is, anyway.

• adam_noxadam_nox Member UncommonPosts: 2,148

Originally posted by Zeroxin

Tera vs DCUO? I pick DCUO, DCUO is a lot like GW2 so GW2 wins.

GW2 is nothing like DCUO combat, which rocked.

GW2 is just WoW with a couple options and less skill fumbling (a good thing imo), it's not action based, even if it tries to look like it.

Anyone play RYL?  There's a really crappy game with little to no content that got combat PERFECT.  You didn't cast spells, you charged and released them, the longer you charged, the greater the impact, but while charging you could get interrupted.  You could move while charging them.  You didn't select an enemy and then hit a hotkey, you swing your weapon and enemies in front of you would get hit.  It was the first and possibly only mmo I played where basic melee attacks used an arc and were AoE.

You targetted using a small reticle for spells and special abilities.  RYL for all it's faults is a model for which a great action mmo could be built on.  It was a large seamless world too, where the view distance was tremendous.  But that's an aside.  The combat mechanics of abilities and attacking were more like an evolution of diablo 2 and oblivion than the crap mmo's stick us with today. 

The best part was how intuitive it was and how IT JUST MADE SENSE.  swing your weapon, if they are in the arc, they get hit with it.  simple.  God how hard is it to recognize the brilliance mmo devs.  I must imagine these designers only ever played WoW, and before WoW only played EQ.  Get some experience, THEN design an mmo.

/rant

• DJJazzyDJJazzy Member UncommonPosts: 2,053

How do you figure that GW2 is just like WoW?

• SereliskSerelisk Member Posts: 836

Originally posted by adam_nox

Originally posted by Zeroxin

Tera vs DCUO? I pick DCUO, DCUO is a lot like GW2 so GW2 wins.

GW2 is nothing like DCUO combat, which rocked.

GW2 is just WoW with a couple options and less skill fumbling (a good thing imo), it's not action based, even if it tries to look like it.

Anyone play RYL?  There's a really crappy game with little to no content that got combat PERFECT.  You didn't cast spells, you charged and released them, the longer you charged, the greater the impact, but while charging you could get interrupted.  You could move while charging them.  You didn't select an enemy and then hit a hotkey, you swing your weapon and enemies in front of you would get hit.  It was the first and possibly only mmo I played where basic melee attacks used an arc and were AoE.

You targetted using a small reticle for spells and special abilities.  RYL for all it's faults is a model for which a great action mmo could be built on.  It was a large seamless world too, where the view distance was tremendous.  But that's an aside.  The combat mechanics of abilities and attacking were more like an evolution of diablo 2 and oblivion than the crap mmo's stick us with today. 

The best part was how intuitive it was and how IT JUST MADE SENSE.  swing your weapon, if they are in the arc, they get hit with it.  simple.  God how hard is it to recognize the brilliance mmo devs.  I must imagine these designers only ever played WoW, and before WoW only played EQ.  Get some experience, THEN design an mmo.

/rant

This is funny because you don't acknowledge that Guild Wars 2 has both charged skills/spells for larger impact AND weapons that swing in arcs hitting anything in front of you. Also, there's manual dodging and blocking abilities, cross profession combos, and the vast majority of skills can be executed while moving. So i don't understand how GW2 is just WoW combat.

Originally posted by DJJazzy

How do you figure that GW2 is just like WoW?

Well, new people to the genre can't realise that pretty much every MMO uses the same or similar elements to build their game. What changes is how much focus they put on those elements and how much they evolve those elements from their original iterrations. What people mistaken for WoW cloning is basically the reuse of those elements that basically constitute what makes an MMORPG.

It's like calling all FPS games Doom clones. One can do it, but it'll be a disservice to the genre.

• VryheidVryheid Member UncommonPosts: 469

Tera has better combat. Guild Wars has better character design, quests and environments. As someone who plays role playing games for the roleplay, I'm a lot more concerned about the latter. I do think that just comparing GW2 with your average hotbar MMO isn't doing it enough justice though.

Originally posted by Vryheid

Tera has better combat. Guild Wars has better character design, quests and environments. As someone who plays role playing games for the roleplay, I'm a lot more concerned about the latter. I do think that just comparing GW2 with your average hotbar MMO isn't doing it enough justice though.

Did you claim that GW2 is a hotbar MMO? I suppose it could be, no idea if you need to keep an eye on cooldowns and spam keys so as an ability activates the second it is off cooldown.

If you claimed that Tera is a hotbar MMO, I fear that you haven't played the game enough to understand how different it is in terms of not needing to look at the hotbar at all and just focus at the action.

They are both hotbar mmos. Only a few mmos don't have skillbars (such as Vindictus).

• NBlitzNBlitz Member Posts: 1,904
    Isn't the bar on the top part of your UI in Vindictus a skill bar?

Originally posted by NBlitz

where you put your consumables? I don't think that qualifies as a skill bar do you?

• silvermembersilvermember Member UncommonPosts: 526

having played TERA and DcUO. I can say DcUO combat is more superior than TERA. And having played TERA I can say that, except for dodging TERA combat is actually far from actiony. Both DCUO and TERA root you when you cast skills. 

Here is why, To make TERA combat fairer for ranged classes and make healing actually useful, they 2 made things that defeats aiming.

1. A lot of the critical skills for ranged classes and healing work on a "clip on" target. That means as long as you hover your mouse over your target and press the skill button, unless the target RNG resist (CC skills only) it is guranteered to hit. And given how long CC effects last in PvP, you can have a mystic or priest CC target have everybody use up their slow charge up skills and blow the target to the year 1999. So missing even on the few skills that require aiming is averted by CC skills.

2. mobs (regular and BAMs) and players move slow (movement speed) that you can hit them most of the time unless you are a noob and decide to use a charge up skill on a moving target, but charge up skills don't amount of more than 1 skill for certain classes. Since depending on your class your dodge skill is on a 6-10 second CD (unless you use a glyph to make a mystic dodge skill RNG reset after use), are not no gonna miss.

anyways, give how bots could easily farm the endgame BAMs on the korean server, that should have you an idea on how "complex" tera combat system is. I played the korean version at release and they were responsible for destroying the economy on my server.

• NBlitzNBlitz Member Posts: 1,904
    I couldn't remember so I asked a simple question. Currently mobile and not at desk.

I couldn't remember so I asked a simple question. Currently mobile and not at desk.

I see. Well, it's where you put the consumables. No skills go there.

• korent1991korent1991 Member UncommonPosts: 1,364

Your video is not public, please make it public so we can view it and give you an opinion based on your video.

Now here's my opinion on TERA vs GW2 based on what I know so far about the both of them...

As I see it, TERA is actually not bringing anything new to the fight except the hitboxes change based on your character size and you have to click every time you want to swing your weapon (which is so damn boring if you ask me... "yay, I swong a weapon... YAY! I swong it again!", and the size hitbox just discriminates the characters which are taller)...

What I find a huge loss for tera is that GW2 actually offers a lot of diversity and personalization on your skills based on the weapons you choose. In tera 2 different players can choose a warrior, and they both have all the same skills and can do all of them with no difference. When in GW2 2 warriors are not likely to have the same spells equiped (aka. build in GW1) at the same time, even if they are wielding the same weapon so you never know what you're up against which makes every fight an unknown challange. Also I really like GW2's style of not having a healer and I also like the "downed states".

"Happiness is not a destination. It is a method of life."
    -------------------------------

where you put your consumables? I don't think that qualifies as a skill bar do you?

Actually, it does. And you can put skills on the bar as well. So based on your weird  definition of hotkey, every game with a bar with consumables and skills is a hotbar a hot key game, which is not a bad thing. edit: but your really don't need it.

The people that say "hotkeys' games are bad don't seem to understand why "hotkey" exist.  Hotkey exist solely as a way to help players remember, what they currently have equiped. The manner of input to get the result doesn't matter, so Clicking  or not clicking a skill doesn't make it more or less actiony either, its a matter of convience to the player.

The only  2 real requirement in an action game, manual dodging rewarding fast reaction and movement during combat. Those who play a lot of console action games which are the best due to their tightly controls. 

• just1opinionjust1opinion Member UncommonPosts: 4,641

Originally posted by Normike

Video is private? Maybe video author meant to show how GW2 combat was better than Tera's. But realized that was an impossible feat?

I'm goin' with this.

President of The Marvelously Meowhead Fan Club

What skills can you put on there? Granted it's been a while since i've played but I don't remember that you could. I thought it was all mouse click combos with certain keyboard buttons.

• Sector13Sector13 Member UncommonPosts: 784

What skills can you put on there? Granted it's been a while since i've played but I don't remember that you could. I thought it was all mouse click combos with certain keyboard buttons.

Evie's Alchemy spells go up there.

I know for Evie you could put skills on the bar because I was playing with my razer naga and it was assigned to a button on hot bar for some of my skills. But I haven't played in a long time, actually over a year. S it might had changed.

• BigBadWolfeBigBadWolfe Member Posts: 143

You guys need to go back and read my last post because it seems like this debate is arguing preferences.

Also too many people are popping into this thread saying stuff like "I like GW2's combat better because it's FREE".  That's a logical fallacy.  How much money it costs to play the game is not a factor in the mechanics themselves.  Also thanks to the poor advertising on En Masse's part, a lot of people don't know you can actually play Tera for FREE through the use of chrono-scrolls.

The other argument I keep hearing is that a lot of the people are either saying that they don't care about the combat in GW2 it's all the other elements that appeal to them.  Or that they are knocking Tera's questing system.  This is completely off the subject, people that can read can clearly see this thread is exclusively a combat mechanics comparison thread.  A lot of people that aren't even interested in the combat mechanics are just trolling the thread their there $0.02 opinions.

I know I am wasting my time here because obviously the people I'm responding to haven't bothered to read the thread at all, and will continue to post what they want.

• NaqajNaqaj Member UncommonPosts: 1,673

I'd call those hotkeyes. That's kind of the problem with using "hotkey-based" as a definition of combat though, it makes the discussion pointless as people are arguing about the wrong aspect. As long as you're using mouse&kb, you'll always use hotkeyes. But that's just the input method, it says nothing at all about actual combat design.

GW2 uses hotkeyes, so does Tera and DCUO. Yet these 3 games all have significant differences in how they do combat, both between each other and "typical" MMO combat.

• moosecatlolmoosecatlol Member RarePosts: 1,530

Didn't get a chance to watch the video, I'm under the impression that it may have incited many flames, I would like to note that you "Liked" the Kony 2012 video, and for doing so you've rendered your opinion worthless.

You may want to consider a channel dedicated to the content that it provides, and keep your kDeviL channel for personal use. That is if you ever plan on ever taking your content seriously.