Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Mass Effect 3 just pulled a Dragon Age 2 on me its terrible

Comments

• RelGnRelGn Member Posts: 494

To tell u the truth I really enjoyed dragon age origins and somehow mass effect 2.

Da2 and mass effect 3 are crap.

• iNeokiiNeoki Member UncommonPosts: 353

I was long admirer of the mass effect series, ME1 was a great rebirth for me into the gaming genre, I was getting burned out with MMORPG's at the time, and I wasted countless hours in that game doing re-playthroughs and doing hardmodes and the like. Mass Effect 2's story was mediocre to me, I already knew how cerberus was going to "contribute" from the get-go. What I loved about ME2 was the combat, I did 3 playthroughs on insanity to play different playstyles and characters.  I actually enjoyed ME2 for that.

Now here goes ME3, Major spoilers incoming.

I imported my Paragon lvl30 Shepard from ME2, he romanced ashley in ME1, stayed loyal to her during ME2 (No Romances).

Starts out 1 year after I beat the collectors and destroyed their base, with no backstory on what the hell I've been doing other than camping out at earth waiting for trial. Really Bioware? Shepard still has spectre status in my story and I'm sure he had other pressing matters to deal with, LIKE CERBERUS. Anyways.

Earth attacked, major drama scene, many deaths, blah blah. Ashley, myself, and James Vega (Freddie Prince Jr) head to mars to get prothean data, Ashley takes a bad hit and is hospitalized, I gain first steps of romance at the Citadel with her. EDI becomes transcended to a cybernetic body, hot one at that.

Shepard now flies across the galaxy rounding up races to fight alongside the alliance and "Take back earth". Meanwhile their homeworlds are desimated.  In my story I create peace between krogan/salarians and geth/quarians. Yada Yada Citadel under attack by cerberus, Thane sacrifices himself for the Salarian councilar. ashley is spectre by now almost shoots me when I aim at Udina, she steps aside, I kill Udina and save the citidel. Joker falls in love with Edi. Garrus and Tali begins romance.

Head to do the geth and tali thing, legion dies to give all geth AI status and self awareness. Yada yada you get note from asari councilar about temple on their homeworld with secrets in it regarding last piece of crucible. yada yada Cerberus beats you there and beats you down and escapes.

You get pissed and chase them to their base, you kick ass and EDI saves you at the docking bay when you enter. YAY EDI, you get more info on your revival. You kill the cerberus mega agent, talk to illusive man over holocomm, he takes over citadel and takes it to earth for the reapers. yep cerberus works for the reapers, who would have thought.

You begin your attack on earth, many die, before final battle you talk to all your squadmates over holocomm if you choose (Samara, Zaeed, etc, the ones not in your actual squad). You re-assure them all will be fine (in my case that is). Then you talk to your squad, give a speech, and the battle begins. It's a rough fight, everyone dies (apparently) before you reach the teleporter to the citadel in london. However you wake up and get through slowly crawling and barely alive, anderson follows, you wake up in a "war of the worlds" type setting, then make your way to the citadel control room, anderson is already there and tries to figure it out, you enter, illusive man enters, I didn't have enough paragon points apparently to do the last choice, which is bs because I did a 100% clear of the game in paragon setting and had 100% readiness from multiplayer. You kill illusive man, anderson and you sit down and watch the battle, anderson dies, you slowly die (Or so you think) then a platform lifts you up, "Matrix Revolutions" style and you talk to the creeper kid you see in your dreams, who apparently is like the "Architect" from the Matrix as well. You have 3 choices, Blow up reapers, Synthesize yourself (Organics/Synthetics) or Control the reapers. I chose blow em up... Shows reapers going kaboom, and all relays being destroyed and normandy being crashed into a unknown world.  Joker, Ashley, and Javik (Prothean) step outside and glare into the scenery and look upon other planets. Scene cuts out there. Then after credits a man tells a story of the legend of the "Shepard" to his grandson, it's about 45seconds long. So apparently the whole series is just a legend or story some grandpa is telling his child.

Great gameplay, great graphics, so-so story through the game, worst ending in any story I've read or played. Argh.... what a combo.

Total played time with 100% completion of all side missions was: 23hrs 20minutes.

I did level up a lvl20 soldier in multiplayer to gain 100% galactic readiness as well.

TwitchTV: iNeoki

• RoutverRoutver Member Posts: 383

I find it hard to still care about Mass Effect. The second game was so simplified, to a nauseating level.  The ME 2 world felt empty, and extremely small, some missions had those corridors you could only visit for the mission itself and never again, a waste of space. The first game was linear, but Mass Effect 2 was a tragedy of narrow corridors.

Overheating was one of the few interesting mechanics of the combat but they decided to replace it with universal ammo so a toddler can pick it up and play. It's all about cover now, and thanks to that the game is just a shooting gallery where you wait for your enemy to pop out of cover so you can shoot them... the chest high walls placement gives away when you're going to fight and totally breaks immersion and kills any chance of being surprised/ambushed.

The Mako was problematic, I think the planet exploration was boring but the more linear missions with it were okay. Instead of improving on it, they just discarded the idea and replaced it with planet scanning, the chore that will bore anyone to tears. Also by removing it the gameplay became even more focused on the cover based shooting, which has been done to death in other games and simplifies combat/makes it fairly boring.

The ME2 plot was a sad pathetic joke, you basically just chase the middle man, and the story doesn't advance one bit. Plus as a sequel, it was disjointed. I stumbled into a gem of an article about Mass Effect 2's plot, long but worth it:

http://www.shamusyoung.com/twentysidedtale/?p=7004

I saw BioWare looking at ME1 and applying the same "solution" to every possible problem: simplify it to death. The only saving grace was some of the new characters to me like Mordin and Thane.

Haven't picked ME3 and not even sure if it's worth renting considering the direction BioEAware is taking.

• TrionicusTrionicus Member UncommonPosts: 498

I think I'm about 20% through the entire game, side quests n stuff and I don't dislike it per say but I'm just not getting that feeling, the one I had when I first played ME1. So...aka I dont feel terrible but I'm NOT satisfied either.

Thing is, I don't really know what they could do to make this experience any better. I do agree that the graphics seemed to have gotten worse...WTH. I put together a new machine recently and I would have liked to enjoy some extra eye candy but there was none to be had

• thexratedthexrated Member UncommonPosts: 1,368

Originally posted by Trionicus

I think I'm about 20% through the entire game, side quests n stuff and I don't dislike it per say but I'm just not getting that feeling, the one I had when I first played ME1. So...aka I dont feel terrible but I'm NOT satisfied either.

Thing is, I don't really know what they could do to make this experience any better. I do agree that the graphics seemed to have gotten worse...WTH. I put together a new machine recently and I would have liked to enjoy some extra eye candy but there was none to be had

I think ME1 had a lot more freedom than ME2 and ME3. Level design is slightly better in ME3 than it was in ME2, but I still prefer ME1 - areas were bigger, MAKO added the exploration and feeling of freedom. 

"The person who experiences greatness must have a feeling for the myth he is in."

• Moaky07Moaky07 Member Posts: 2,096

Originally posted by chaintm

Myself and this mag are never far off, I think they nailed it. Definitly not what many here are sputting off, sorry you don't have the money to get it atm so your butt hurts, but doesn't mean it sucks because you can't. I have played and this review is pretty much right on, enjoying it very much so and I agree 100% with the spacebar comment, annoying as hell, hope it's fixed in a patch, my only gripe so far.

http://www.pcgamer.com/review/mass-effect-3-review/ 

This

It took about 34 hrs to finish my playthru. Without doing any MP, my readiness was around 3k.  A number of the deaths to companions I avoided by actually playing the game, and not simply making a mad rush for the finish line. My playthru would of been longer, but some of the quests have an experation point.

I didnt like the ending. I felt more closure was needed. That said, as indicated in a thread on the main forum here on MMORPG.com, this game lived up to the precedent set down by the first 2.

Also as stated prior....I bought the CE edition, so the day 1 DLC didnt affect me. If I hadnt been able to get one, I would much rather be able to purchase it on day 1 than wait like the exclusive DLC for pre ordering from certain retailers.

Mild spoiler.....be sure to take the Prothean with you when you visit Thessia. IIRC Liara was hard coded addition, and the 2 companions exchange a fair bit of lore.

Asking Devs to make AAA sandbox titles is like trying to get fine dining on a McDonalds dollar menu budget.

Originally posted by fivoroth

This is just ridiculous. Professional reviewers give only 4 words to explain their score? Have you tried going to the reviewer's website? Critic reviews are 3-4 page long. If you look only at metacritic (which is to be honest the most unreliable and lowly site to read reviews), yes they  have 3-4 lines for each critic review. That's because they copy pasted the last 4 lines of the review.

This is just blind hate. I don't think that ANY game got 2.3 score in the past. I can't think of a single game that got such a low rating! And those retards give a 2.3 to Mass Effect? 

If you read gameinformer magazine they will slam games that are terrible. Lowest I ever saw was to that Hulk Hogan Kinect game a while back. It got a 1.

LoTR War in the North got a 5.5 from them. They slammed a few of the comic games as well.

Folks around these parts just dont get it....if a company delivers a game without a lot of bugs, and it gives engaging game play, that game is going to get a score of 8+ every time. Which it should.

A working Skyrim would of gotten a 10. Even with all the issues that game had, they still was fair in delivering a 9.5 score. A game not as epic as Skyrim would of gotten tagged with a 7 or less due to all the bugs.

We keep seeing all these subjective  "reviews". Where as someone reviewing this game objectively isnt going to give it less than an 8, and more likely in the 9 range.

Asking Devs to make AAA sandbox titles is like trying to get fine dining on a McDonalds dollar menu budget.

Originally posted by Routver

I find it hard to still care about Mass Effect. The second game was so simplified, to a nauseating level.  The ME 2 world felt empty, and extremely small, some missions had those corridors you could only visit for the mission itself and never again, a waste of space. The first game was linear, but Mass Effect 2 was a tragedy of narrow corridors.

Overheating was one of the few interesting mechanics of the combat but they decided to replace it with universal ammo so a toddler can pick it up and play. It's all about cover now, and thanks to that the game is just a shooting gallery where you wait for your enemy to pop out of cover so you can shoot them... the chest high walls placement gives away when you're going to fight and totally breaks immersion and kills any chance of being surprised/ambushed.

The Mako was problematic, I think the planet exploration was boring but the more linear missions with it were okay. Instead of improving on it, they just discarded the idea and replaced it with planet scanning, the chore that will bore anyone to tears. Also by removing it the gameplay became even more focused on the cover based shooting, which has been done to death in other games and simplifies combat/makes it fairly boring.

The ME2 plot was a sad pathetic joke, you basically just chase the middle man, and the story doesn't advance one bit. Plus as a sequel, it was disjointed. I stumbled into a gem of an article about Mass Effect 2's plot, long but worth it:

http://www.shamusyoung.com/twentysidedtale/?p=7004

I saw BioWare looking at ME1 and applying the same "solution" to every possible problem: simplify it to death. The only saving grace was some of the new characters to me like Mordin and Thane.

Haven't picked ME3 and not even sure if it's worth renting considering the direction BioEAware is taking.

The main story in ME2 wasnt that good. The side stories though were golden, and had an effect on who walked away from suicide mission. Not only that, but those same companions really make a difference in the story this time around.

ME3 is more in line with ME1 with RPG mechanics, and a better shooter than ME2. Assuming it isnt even worth a rental is being a bit anal IMO.

• I felt suckered buying the DLC for Dragon Age. Thus I never bought any other DLC from BioWare. ME1 + ME2 are great games without DLC. If the 3rd is not it would be a major disappointment.

• AmazingAveryAmazingAvery Age of Conan AdvocateMember UncommonPosts: 7,188

Over 20 hrs in CE edition with the DLC. Every bit as good as #1&2. Having a great weekend with it. Worth the money imo.

• QuesaQuesa Member UncommonPosts: 1,432

Originally posted by AmazingAvery

Over 20 hrs in CE edition with the DLC. Every bit as good as #1&2. Having a great weekend with it. Worth the money imo.

Finished mine the other day, enjoyed 25-30 hours of game-play. 

Ending sucked balls though.

Star Citizen Referral Code: STAR-DPBM-Z2P4
  • zomafishzomafish Member Posts: 1

EA GAMES. RUINS EVERYTHING.

• steelfrenzysteelfrenzy Member Posts: 147

Where are the open worlds to explore? Where are the cities? The Citadel was pure garbage. Literally everything was made smaller. The main storyline quests were all essentially side-quests. Also, I dislike the way that you have to scan everything, and the fact that gear is found in either bundles or conveniently placed pieces scattered across zones. On top of that, whether or not you played the other two and carried over save files seemed to make no real difference at all.

I don't understand how anyone says this is as good as the first, or even the second. The game itself was not bad, but when looking back at the other two you can clearly see that it's overshadowed. 

*edit* Also, I've played it for a good few hours. I haven't beat it yet, but I'm really not that far from it, so don't try to invalidate what I've said just because of play time. Also, there's a difference between sheer negativity and criticism. It's pretty obvious that Bioware kind of phoned in ME3 when compared to the others. I should also note that I played the other two through to completion, including sidequests and all of that good stuff.

• Angier2758Angier2758 Member UncommonPosts: 1,026

Originally posted by Meerkat93

Originally posted by forest-nl

Not every game can be SUPER game like Bethesda's game Elder Scroll V: Skyrim(300hours gameplay+Creation kit for mods for FREE) only one can be best sorry bioware fans.

I beat Skyrim in 3 hours...

I actually enjoy both but your E-peening is very funny.

Well if you ignore the point of the game..yeah you can beat it in 3 hours.

• jpnzjpnz Member Posts: 3,529

It was more open than ME2 so not sure where this 'limited' thing is coming from but whatever.

I personally found great enjoyment as I poured 3 days solid in getting to the ending.

The ending sequence (esp the last piece) was just so powerful I can't start another game.

I have 200 hours in ME2 (beat it 6-7 times) but I just can't press that 'start new game' in ME3 cause of how emotionally drained I am.

Gdemami -
    Informing people about your thoughts and impressions is not a review, it's a blog.

• RageaholRageahol Member UncommonPosts: 1,127

deeply enjoyed the game, thought it was much better then ME2, the action was great, ending is very ehhhh?  

*not adding any spoilers but I thought it could have been done better, but again enjoyed the game very much

• fivorothfivoroth Member UncommonPosts: 3,916

Originally posted by steelfrenzy

*edit* Also, I've played it for a good few hours. I haven't beat it yet, but I'm really not that far from it, so don't try to invalidate what I've said just because of play time. Also, there's a difference between sheer negativity and criticism. It's pretty obvious that Bioware kind of phoned in ME3 when compared to the others. I should also note that I played the other two through to completion, including sidequests and all of that good stuff.

I wouldn't say it's pretty obvious. This is your opinion. My opinion is exactly the opposite. I am currently playing the game and I am loving it. I loved ME1 then ME2 and now I am definitely having a blast playing ME3. To be honest, this negativism towards a new game in the series is nothing new. I remember when ME2 came out, everyone said that was crap compared to ME1. Now the same thing is happening to ME3.

I am also a huge fan of the first two. I have played through them maybe 3-4 times, have tried all the different options + did all the sidequests and dlcs.

Mission in life: Vanquish all MMORPG.com trolls - especially TESO, WOW and GW2 trolls.

• UsualSuspectUsualSuspect Member UncommonPosts: 1,243

Well, I've been playing it on and off since Friday - a bit ill here so I can't sit at the computer for overly long periods - and I have mixed feelings at the moment. The first two hours were awful, plain awful, I was really worried about how the game was going to go during those first two hours - the lack of interaction, I had about 5 chances to pick a conversation option during that time, the godawful dialogue, etc. Seriously, did anyone take the paragon choice while talking to Kaiden the first time in the hospital? That was the worst written piece of dialogue I've ever heard.

But then after those two hours, when you finally get access to the galaxy map and things start to open up a bit, it's like a different writer took over, as the conversations get much better, the missions are more interesting, and so on. I've just finished the part where you meet Grunt again, and he goes solo against a bunch of Rachni. That was an awesome scene - not sure if he always does, but it was great that he walked away from it in my playthrough.

The whole scanning thing isn't that great, especially considering how quick the Reapers find you, also really not a big fan of them adding homosexual crew members. The one who had a conversation with me regarding his 'husband' I really didn't want to know about. It's an 'action movie' not a podium for gay rights.

• warmaster670warmaster670 Member Posts: 1,384

Originally posted by UsualSuspect

The whole scanning thing isn't that great, especially considering how quick the Reapers find you, also really not a big fan of them adding homosexual crew members. The one who had a conversation with me regarding his 'husband' I really didn't want to know about. It's an 'action movie' not a podium for gay rights.

So action movies cant have gay people in them now? news to me.

Apparently stating the truth in my sig is "trolling"
    Sig typo fixed thanks to an observant stragen001.

• UsualSuspectUsualSuspect Member UncommonPosts: 1,243

Originally posted by warmaster670

Originally posted by UsualSuspect

So action movies cant have gay people in them now? news to me.

None that I can think of, not without them hamming it up into comedic territory at least. Action movies tend to be full of macho over the top bullshit which doesn't fit that type of character. I've no problem with peoples sexual choices, but there's a time and a place for everything, especially in the entertainment industry.

• JoeyMMOJoeyMMO Member UncommonPosts: 1,326

Originally posted by Deleted User

If sites don't give big game companies like EA  good reviews then that site will no longer get hands on previews and their website will fall behind against its competitors.

This is why an average between critic and user rating is probably a better rating than either of the two. The critics are usually overly favorable and the users aren't professional enough to vote with their brains instead of their gut.

imageimage
  • AlotAlot Member Posts: 1,948

Originally posted by needalife214

deeply enjoyed the game, thought it was much better then ME2, the action was great, ending is very ehhhh?  

*not adding any spoilers but I thought it could have been done better, but again enjoyed the game very much

Pretty much. And in regards to the scores on Metacritic:

-http://www.gamespot.com/mass-effect-3/platform/ps3/

-http://www.gamespot.com/mass-effect-3/platform/xbox360/

-http://www.gamespot.com/mass-effect-3/platform/pc/

Metacritic doesn't have any reviewbombing going on at all, no ofcourse not.

/sarcasm

• SckrFreeBossSckrFreeBoss Member Posts: 1

Well I picked up ME3 on launch night, but that night I decided to go back to ME1 and start a whole new shepard and start my way up from scratch all the way to ME3. I love going back and redoing these missions and making decisions but im reading some of these comments on ME3 and its making it seem like im doing all of this for nothing. Is it really a disappointment like DA2 was? I swear to God if EA messes this up... :(

<Sucker Free Boss>

• EladiEladi Member UncommonPosts: 1,145

Originally posted by SckrFreeBoss

Well I picked up ME3 on launch night, but that night I decided to go back to ME1 and start a whole new shepard and start my way up from scratch all the way to ME3. I love going back and redoing these missions and making decisions but im reading some of these comments on ME3 and its making it seem like im doing all of this for nothing. Is it really a disappointment like DA2 was? I swear to God if EA messes this up... :(

No most of these comments are compleet bullshit. ME1&2 has a large impact on the story and who survives or not. having payed me3 whit both a me1&2 paragona dn renagade character I have seen the big chances in the story and how much you can "loos" or "win"  

sure in the end the story gota end and thats more limeted (basicly 9 endings) but thats not the point of the game, the point of the game is the actual story toward that end and what happens to youre companions.

that is also the biggest fail of the game, currectly it gives as good as no closure at all for companions (well those who dont die if youre more a renagade type '')  )  the end scene's  are powerfull but at the same time leave you whit a  .... wtf happent to them ?

it does leave open a lot of DLC room (can already see ea pulling a DLC for every companion to give closure to each :P )

the game is good, as expected from it, and having a savegame will for sure give you some "oh..thats when I ..cool thats neat " moments.