Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Game of Thrones: GDC 2012: Game of Thrones Goes Sandbox Warfare

123457»

Comments

• Spin6699Spin6699 Member Posts: 9

Never played any GoT games, but I have to say this looks appealing, artisically. It's been WAY too long waiting for a more serious, european style palette hardcore medieval MMO. And the sandbox & PvP aspects sound enticing, but I hope it won't be a grind fest, that would just be a huge anti climax.

• nate1980nate1980 Member UncommonPosts: 2,063

Originally posted by RefMinor

Originally posted by Zylaxx

When I recieved the tweet yesterday about look for tomorrows announcement about a game of Thrones Sandbox MMO I was quite literally dazzled with excitement at the possibilities of what we could get out of such an awesome title.

FlashForward to today and we get an Open World FFA PvP featuring factions.  Yea Factions lol.  And on top of that it will be a browser based game.  All I can say is wow, totally wasnt expecting this.  Enjoy your 100 player population because this game is shooting to make the least amount of subs in history.  Open PvP and Browser based, can it get any worse?

I cant believe that RR Martin would of licensed such incomptents to carry his IP forward. 

This game could of been so much more, it could of been the first true Sandbox PvE world which concentrated on house politics and so much more.  But the kicker is: a browser based game, no thanks.

I can see many arguments for PvE games but for Game of Thrones it has to be a PvP game, how can you have political battle against an NPC.

Because NPC's can follow a script and play their role. A real player with FFA PvP will not play any role other than bandit/ganker. Players just aren't smart enough, or mature enough to play within their role, thus bettering the experience of PvP when it happens.

• XstylesXstyles Member Posts: 107

They just keep making mmos out of everything. Next thing we'll see is a sex and the city mmo :o

• RefMinorRefMinor Member UncommonPosts: 3,452
    A theme park where everyone gets to be Carrie, or a sandbox where everyone sleeps with everything that moves?
  • CamthylionCamthylion Member UncommonPosts: 220

Do you really need to have (GoT) in there... its fairly retardo.  Its called game of thrones is it really hard to type a few more letters? I mean seriously stop with the business of giving every game a name from its first letters.  If they wanted their game to be called something moronic such as GoT... GoT... what is that, just stop enough is enough.

I can understand the more popular games maybe getting a nickname such as wow but you can actually say wow and it makes sense.  I WILL NEVER walk around saying hey man, you played got lately?  Fucking queer man, just type out the game name, stop being silly with these nicknames.

• ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 22,952

Oh no a gaming company has got its hands on another IP. Cue mad hype build up and countless tie-ins. Only time will tell if the game beneath the title is a worthy addition to the incredibly overcrowded MMO genre.

• BigCountryBigCountry Member Posts: 478

Originally posted by Czanrei

Bigpoint = bad

Sandbox = good

Browser-based= bad

2/3 bad = bad

Maybe someday browser-based games will be commonplace, but today's technology is not up to par. While a fan of the novel series, I am not looking forward to this IP.

lol

QFT

BigCountry | Head Hunters | www.wefarmpeople.com

• leaf16nutleaf16nut Member UncommonPosts: 39

Why is it that open world singleplayer games get praised and sell like hotcakes but open world MMO's get sh*t on?

Fallout, Oblivion, Assassins Creed, Far Cry, Crysis , etc...

I loved Ultima Online, when they split up the world into trammel and felucca I went to private servers to get the open world PVP experience, I'm not even that into PVP, but it felt right knowing you could be killed at any given moment made it feel as though you accomplished something. Risk/reward has been taken out of every MMO nowadays and the generation growing up has gotten accustomed to that, prancing around like a fairy...

I'll be watching out for this game, seems promising!

• XthosXthos Member UncommonPosts: 2,739

If it is P2W, then I won't touch it....I am fine with DLC type stuff, that is a sidestep to paying to play, for content or such....Those are finite amounts....If it is P2W for items/gear and such, I won't even download it to try it, even if it is 'free'.

• RogueMasterRogueMaster Member UncommonPosts: 22

Browser based FTL.

No thanks.

• Laughing-manLaughing-man Member RarePosts: 3,654

Originally posted by RogueMaster

Browser based FTL.

No thanks.

Browser based games and client based games will be literally indistinguishable in a few years, look at this game's screen shots then say "ew browser based"

• sonicbrewsonicbrew Member UncommonPosts: 515

The problem with this game is the politics. They are never going to properly pull off this world and story and its going to kill the books and the TV series which actually has been done rather well. It will be mediocre at best (and that's pushing it). I would, however, love for this developer to prove me absolutely wrong.

“Once the game is over, the king and the pawn go back in the same box.” ~ Italian proverb   

• NewHorizonNewHorizon Member Posts: 18

Originally posted by leaf16nut

Why is it that open world singleplayer games get praised and sell like hotcakes but open world MMO's get sh*t on?

Fallout, Oblivion, Assassins Creed, Far Cry, Crysis , etc...

I loved Ultima Online, when they split up the world into trammel and felucca I went to private servers to get the open world PVP experience, I'm not even that into PVP, but it felt right knowing you could be killed at any given moment made it feel as though you accomplished something. Risk/reward has been taken out of every MMO nowadays and the generation growing up has gotten accustomed to that, prancing around like a fairy...

I'll be watching out for this game, seems promising!

lol

100% agreed. A game like Neocron was the shit, and its coming back as a hybrid client/unity colmination. First Cyberpunk 1st/Close 3rd Person MMORPG ever, before WoW or Planetside. This game gave a reason to fight. Wars over outposts would yield higher bonsues for construction, etc, whereby in tandum with a reseracher, 100's of data cubes were duplicated in a mass building process in the greatest chance to get you clan some 5 slot weapons, just to drop them in the next fight (random 1 thing dropped, not full loot.) Thats not even counting the weapons that came out less then 3 slot's whicht barters would then sell off to recoup mass building costs, everyone had a purpose. You could reserach and construct from chemicals, or just buy the weapon/armour/vechicle parts, or high level had to be custom built. Everything had the builders name attached too. Then not even counting the unique rare weapon unidentified tech part system that involved a researchedr to identify the parts, that brougt huge speculation and currency all on its own. Complete awsome inde game, but like all of them, dont get funded.

Ohh, also the fact they covered the whole PvPvE hurdle that currently exists as ecos cry about PvP, and gave everyone Law Enforcers, to be used or not used.

Ohh, and fully customizable apartments with cabinets for storage.

Ya they arent made like that anymore, thats for sure. Not since mass corporations try to fit everyone into the same box.

• OzmodanOzmodan Member EpicPosts: 9,726

This game could have been so good with a better developer..

• SirBalinSirBalin Member UncommonPosts: 1,300

Originally posted by LadyNoh

HEY LOOK, its a new bandwagon to jump on. 

Yeap, and i'm all over it!  Love it, a sandbox, owpvp...little to no magic...this is a sim in my opinion...I lovei t!

Incognito
    www.incognito-gaming.us
    "You're either with us or against us"

• SirBalinSirBalin Member UncommonPosts: 1,300

Originally posted by Laughing-man

Originally posted by RogueMaster

Browser based FTL.

No thanks.

Browser based games and client based games will be literally indistinguishable in a few years, look at this game's screen shots then say "ew browser based"

Agreed...I talked to a dev and he told me that browser based is actually the way to go to reach a larger crowd and graphically its very close.

Incognito
    www.incognito-gaming.us
    "You're either with us or against us"

• blayugsblayugs Member Posts: 108

I got all excited until i read browser based :(

Also do all broswer based games have to be top down ? I really dont like top down.

• TiakTiak Member Posts: 3

Originally posted by afhn2110

Originally posted by LadyNoh

HEY LOOK, its a new bandwagon to jump on. 

Yeap, and i'm all over it!  Love it, a sandbox, owpvp...little to no magic...this is a sim in my opinion...I lovei t!

Well...  Arena PVP/Instanced "skirmishes"...  And browser-based...  And a limited bastardization of the world (three factions, the entire South of the kingdom seems to have been eliminated, along with the islands, etc.).  

The only way that this seems to be a sandbox is that it features territory control.  In terms of game mechanics it seems very similar to STO.

• Furion-HunterFurion-Hunter Member UncommonPosts: 48
    I think i just jizzed in my pants. However its a shame you have to run through a browser just puts me off a little not sure why.