Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Diablo 3: Blizzard to remove PvP from launch

MephsterMephster Member Posts: 1,188

I think the game has been in developement for about oh say 50 years now and they still can't get it right. What have they been doing ?

Article - http://www.rpgreporter.com/2012/03/10/blizzard-remove-diablo-3-pvp-for-launch/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+rpgreporter+%28RPG%3A+IncGamers%29 

Grim Dawn, the next great action rpg!

http://www.grimdawn.com/

Comments

• KhrymsonKhrymson Member UncommonPosts: 3,090

Sounds good to me.  I'll never touch the PvP anyway, so the sooner they get the 1P/Co-op experience on shelves for me to play, the better!

• AdalwulffAdalwulff Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 1,152

I would never trust Blizzard to create balanced PvP, they should stick with PvE and raiding.

• CorehavenCorehaven Member UncommonPosts: 1,533

I stopped being interested in the game when they revealed you had to have a net connection to play it at all.   Now no PVP either.   Game just seems worse and worse to me all the time. 

• stayontargetstayontarget Member RarePosts: 6,519

Originally posted by Mephster

I think the game has been in developement for about oh say 50 years now and they still can't get it right.  What have they been doing ? 

Well it sure wasn't on the chat feature.

Velika: City of Wheels: Among the mortal races, the humans were the only one that never built cities or great empires; a curse laid upon them by their creator, Gidd, forced them to wander as nomads for twenty centuries...

• Angier2758Angier2758 Member UncommonPosts: 1,026

Originally posted by Aori

Originally posted by Mephster

I think the game has been in developement for about oh say 50 years now and they still can't get it right. What have they been doing ?

Article - http://www.rpgreporter.com/2012/03/10/blizzard-remove-diablo-3-pvp-for-launch/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+rpgreporter+%28RPG%3A+IncGamers%29 

More like 10 or so years but ya sarcasm is great. The game has been redone 2-3 times now, the original version was by blizzard north btw so obviously they're long gone so it was changed.

Either way, blizzard is telling us its not ready and providing us with the pve aspect. You can CHOOSE to purchase it KNOWING the PvP is not yet available or you can wait.. still KNOWING the PvP is not yet available.

I don't see the issue, they aren't hiding that it isn't ready and are giving you the choice.

I think it's more about the game being in development for so long yet they cut pvp.....  I swear this needs to be a case study for IT students.

• adam_noxadam_nox Member UncommonPosts: 2,148

They've only been working on it a few years, I really don't think anyone there gave a crap about diablo 3 after LoD.  They only cared about WoW really.

I worry about this game after seeing all these changes, and the way you could plan a character and do funky builds and interesting combos in D2 is completely absent here.  It was probably what kept me playing D2 for so long.

• ScypherothScypheroth Member Posts: 264

D3 is going to take up alot of my time...have a feeling immma be losing my job when this game releases lolz. Games epic.

• unclemounclemo Member UncommonPosts: 462

With the recent managment shake-ups you gotta wonder what is going on over there at Blizzard.

• 69Cuda69Cuda Member Posts: 251

The PvP portion will be released as a subscription service called...D3Elite.

• wrightstufwrightstuf Member UncommonPosts: 659

Hmm, I can see it now..."Expansion announced for Diablo 3 featuring many new features, including PvP!...only 59.99"

Blizz kinda made me gun shy after their decision to split Starcraft into 3 games.

Oh well, PvP isnt a big draw for me anyway, and I love the game, so they'll get me anyway.

Dunno, Blizz sure seems to be the money grubbers lately. Werent they the 1st ones to intrduce the 60 dollar PC game?

• infamouswhoisinfamouswhois Member Posts: 185

Originally posted by wrightstuf

Dunno, Blizz sure seems to be the money grubbers lately. Werent they the 1st ones to intrduce the 60 dollar PC game?

I have no idea but I was wondering what was up when i went to check the price of it. I though PC games were usually $50, even the digitial one was $60

• MMOarQQMMOarQQ Member Posts: 636

I'd rather give my 60 bucks to a sect of baby eating satanists at this point.

I've already purchased SWTOR. I won't make a steady habit of supporting incompetence and mediocrity.

• ChrisboxChrisbox Member UncommonPosts: 1,729

Originally posted by MMOarQQ

I've already purchased SWTOR. I won't make a steady habit of supporting incompetence and mediocrity.

1.7 million will support it though..so you mean???  Same thing with diablo.  I'd wait for pvp if I liked the game enough

Played-Everything
    Playing-LoL

• MMOarQQMMOarQQ Member Posts: 636

Originally posted by Chrisbox

Originally posted by MMOarQQ

1.7 million will support it though..so you mean???  Same thing with diablo.  I'd wait for pvp if I liked the game enough

1.7 million people can all go jump off the proverbial bridge for all I care.

Just because 10 million people buy a 50 Cent album, it doesn't make his music any less trashy.

• CelciusCelcius Member RarePosts: 1,868

I could wait 6 months for PvP if it means getting the game faster. Its gonna be good, haters gonna hate. The game will speak for itself when it comes out and sells a few million copies out of the gate as well as have stellar reviews.

• majimaji Member UncommonPosts: 2,091

Diablo has always been a PvE focused game.

I'm sure people can get the PvP later as  a DLC.

Let's play Fallen Earth (blind, 300 episodes)

Let's play Guild Wars 2 (blind, 45 episodes)

• NetspookNetspook Member UncommonPosts: 1,583

Originally posted by Corehaven

I stopped being interested in the game when they revealed you had to have a net connection to play it at all.   Now no PVP either.   Game just seems worse and worse to me all the time. 

Sounds like you expected PvP and no internet requirement. Lol...

• uohaloranuohaloran Member Posts: 811

As if it matters at all.  Serious waste of developer allocation.

Wonder how much of the game they were balancing around it, because it's clear they gave less of a shit about the rest of WoW's balance when arenas came along.

They need to seriously create a roadmap of things they can accomplish.

• IsometrixIsometrix Member UncommonPosts: 256

First Blizzcon gets cancelled, then they lay off 600 staff members, then they tell us to manage our expectations on Diablo 3 and not to expect too much from it, now they're removing one of the main reasons many buy the game in the first place to patch it in later, when they haven't even announced a release date yet. Meanwhile, they still get 10 million * $15 a month from WoW. 

I guess Blizzard isn't what is used to be anymore :(

• uohaloranuohaloran Member Posts: 811

Originally posted by Aori

Originally posted by uohaloran

As if it matters at all.  Serious waste of developer allocation.

Wonder how much of the game they were balancing around it, because it's clear they gave less of a shit about the rest of WoW's balance when arenas came along.

They need to seriously create a roadmap of things they can accomplish.

Considering WoW was mainly balanced around PvE first and PvP second.. i doubt D3 was balanced around PvP.

From the time I last played, which granted has been a long time (near-end of WotLK), they were making class balance decisions based around the arena that affected all aspects of the game in attempt to salvage their ever-boring box PvP design.

I think the fact that they wanted to expand Diablo's already primitive PvP system despite it being the absolute last type of game where PvP could competitively flourish shows they still hold some bits of that mentality.

Luckily, though, they scrapped it.  Unfortunately, scrapping it this close to release and far into design probably means very little other than it's another facet of the game that they've wasted time on that could have been better spent elsewhere.

• warmaster670warmaster670 Member Posts: 1,384

Originally posted by Isometrix

You're just figuring this out now? welcome to 5 years ago.

Apparently stating the truth in my sig is "trolling"
    Sig typo fixed thanks to an observant stragen001.

• headphonesheadphones Member Posts: 611

let me get this straight.

they're putting in a cash shop masquerading as an auction house. and they're removing ears from the game which actually made pvp amusing? they really are scraping the barrel.

still.

torchlight 2 has diablo warm and fuzzies!

• cybersurfrcybersurfr Member UncommonPosts: 168

Day 0 : General pre-launch feedback: No PVP at launch = D1/D2 crowd pleased enough to buy.

Day 1: General launch feedback: Great PVE, and a promise of added PVP features = New to Diablo franchise pleased enough to buy.

Day 59:  sales are past their peak. Players have turned their attention to other games.

Day 60: General PVP patch launch feedback: PVP feature is a great supplement to the PVE. = PVP crowd pleased enough to buy; more new consumers pleased enough to buy.

That's how they turn the negative into a positive. Interest to the game is rekindled shortly after launch to the detriment of their competition. They just know their fans and the market.

I'm buying the game. I'm not buying it for the PVP - it was never about the PVP in Diablo and Diablo 2. I am giving them my money, and even if it makes me a hypocrite, I wish some other developer take over their reign - in RTS, in CRPG, and MMORPG.

• AndrewGoatAndrewGoat Member UncommonPosts: 160

First Blizzcon gets cancelled, then they lay off 600 staff members, then they tell us to manage our expectations on Diablo 3 and not to expect too much from it, now they're removing one of the main reasons many buy the game in the first place to patch it in later, when they haven't even announced a release date yet. Meanwhile, they still get 10 million * $15 a month from WoW. 

You aren't kidding. I grew up playing Diablo 1 and Diablo 2. And Warcraft, not WoW, just plain Warcraft. The company that made those games is gone. Absolutely gone. This is not Blizzard anymore, its an entirely different company of people.

I stopped playing WoW around 1 year ago now, and I don't regret it. There's more stuff thats worthy of my time, be it on consoles, or another mmo, or something like League of Legends. Once I saw how disgusting Blizzard has become, including cash shop crap in WoW, and now this real money auction house garbage in Diablo 3, I decided to just let it go and never buy anything from them ever again.

Diablo 3 will be pure unmitigated garbage, and this is one more nail in the coffin, despite the fact that Diablo 1 was probably one of my favorite games of all time.

Such a shame.

• ArconaArcona Member UncommonPosts: 1,182

The main reason people buy D3 is the PvP arenas?

say what?

So you waited 10 years for a feature that D2 never had?

Say whaaaaat?

Calling arenas a main feature is really comedy cold. oh... my....god........ amazing. just amazing.