Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Are you a general gamer.....

Moaky07Moaky07 Member Posts: 2,096

Or perhaps simply a fan of a sub genre of video gaming ala themepark or sandbox(be it SPGs or MMOs)?

Or perhaps even more specifically a fan of a specific game?

I see 4 games mainly spoken about positively by a number of posters here.....EVE, Skyrim, GW2, and SWG. Whether they are good or bad by your opinion isnt in question. What is in question though is whether your tastes are strictly limited to style or perhaps even era?

To put it in perspective....I average 10 plus new single player games per yr. They range from shooters(RPG flavored) to RPGs, sports, adventure/action, and every once in a while some type of strategy game. Both fantasy and sci fi, and both linear game play to open world "sandboxes". For those with a 360, I just broke 52k gamerscore. This is read "they dont all go on the shelf to collect dust".

So how would you describe your gaming style?

Asking Devs to make AAA sandbox titles is like trying to get fine dining on a McDonalds dollar menu budget.

Comments

• EdeusEdeus Member CommonPosts: 506

My reply is in the form of a picture, AND I'M NOT TROLLING!!!!! (directed at forum mods)

Taru-Gallante-Blood elf-Elysean-Kelari-Crime Fighting-Imperial Agent

• lenyboblenybob Member Posts: 62

i'm bound by era. because the gamecube generation was so short lived i decided to skip the next generation. which has felt like it has lasted forever.

i prefer pc games, but all are decent.

• Moaky07Moaky07 Member Posts: 2,096

Originally posted by lenybob

i'm bound by era. because the gamecube generation was so short lived i decided to skip the next generation. which has felt like it has lasted forever.

i prefer pc games, but all are decent.

OK which type of PC games do you play? Do you buy several per yr, or stick with with the same ones?

Being on console or PC makes no difference.

Asking Devs to make AAA sandbox titles is like trying to get fine dining on a McDonalds dollar menu budget.

• just1opinionjust1opinion Member UncommonPosts: 4,641

I play several genres of games and buy lots of games every year.  I don't even know if I can say for sure how many.  At least 20, I'd figure.  I play RPGs, MMOs, adventure games, casual games, and driving sims/racing games.  I don't think I have a real favorite.  I'm just an all around gamer, really.  A GOOD MMORPG will usually hold my attention for a long time, but....no one game is EVER the ONLY game that I'm playing.

Just thought I'd throw in here....I don't play FPS games at all.....ever.  I hate them.  But pretty much any other genre is open for me and I play mostly PC games with occasional PS3 and Wii games....oh and DS games too...very important those, as they keep me sane when I'm having to WAIT somewhere.

President of The Marvelously Meowhead Fan Club

• LoktofeitLoktofeit Member RarePosts: 14,247

PC mostly, very few console.   SLGs, RPGs and FPS seem to be what I mostly play, with a smattering of Tower Defense mixed in.

There isn't a "right" or "wrong" way to play, if you want to use a screwdriver to put nails into wood, have at it, simply don't complain when the guy next to you with the hammer is doing it much better and easier. - Allein
    "Graphics are often supplied by Engines that (some) MMORPG's are built in" - Spuffyre

• EliandalEliandal Member Posts: 796

I pretty much only play MMO's now.  At this point I'm playing GS4 (been playing on and off for 20 years) WoW, Lotro and SWTOR.

The last single player game I bought was Civ 3.  The vast majority of games in the past decade are just a waste.  Pool of Radiance had more content back in 88 than just about anything produced lately :(

• MosesZDMosesZD Member UncommonPosts: 1,361

Originally posted by Moaky07

Or perhaps simply a fan of a sub genre of video gaming ala themepark or sandbox(be it SPGs or MMOs)?

I see 4 games mainly spoken about positively by a number of posters here.....EVE, Skyrim, GW2, and SWG. Whether they are good or bad by your opinion isnt in question. What is in question though is whether your tastes are strictly limited to style or perhaps even era?

To put it in perspective....I average 10 plus new single player games per yr. They range from shooters(RPG flavored) to RPGs, sports, adventure/action, and every once in a while some type of strategy game. Both fantasy and sci fi, and both linear game play to open world "sandboxes". For those with a 360, I just broke 52k gamerscore. This is read "they dont all go on the shelf to collect dust".

Let's see what's currently installed:

MMOs:    DC Universe Online, Wakfu, Lord of the Rings Online, EQ2, STO, Mabinogi, Perfect World, Dragon Nest

Single Player:  ME1 (bargain bin), ME2 (bargain bin), Minecraft, Skyrim, Oblivion, Morrowind, Rail Road Tycoon II, Sims2 (all non-stuff packs), Medival War, Medieval War II, Shogun 2, Rome Total War, Fallout 3, Fallout NV, Civ IV, Civ V, Terraria, X3 Reunion, Tachyon the Fringe, Deus Ex and XCom UFO Defense (Dos Box).

Co-op:  TF2,  Left for Dead 2

Quite a few of these games are games I only play with my daughter or friends -- Minecraft, Terraria, Wakfu, Mabinogi, Dragon Nest, Pefect World, Team Fortress 2, Left for Dead 2 -- and I won't play them on my own as they're not otherwise captivating. 

Except the co-op shooters above, I don't currently play shooters.   I stopped somewhere around Doom 3 which I did not finish.  I also used to play Madden but I thought the franchise mode sucked and playing it against the computer was boring, so I don't. 

• Moaky07Moaky07 Member Posts: 2,096

Originally posted by MosesZD

Originally posted by Moaky07

Let's see what's currently installed:

MMOs:    DC Universe Online, Wakfu, Lord of the Rings Online, EQ2, STO, Mabinogi, Perfect World, Dragon Nest

Single Player:  ME1 (bargain bin), ME2 (bargain bin), Minecraft, Skyrim, Oblivion, Morrowind, Rail Road Tycoon II, Sims2 (all non-stuff packs), Medival War, Medieval War II, Shogun 2, Rome Total War, Fallout 3, Fallout NV, Civ IV, Civ V, Terraria, X3 Reunion, Tachyon the Fringe, Deus Ex and XCom UFO Defense (Dos Box).

Co-op:  TF2,  Left for Dead 2

Quite a few of these games are games I only play with my daughter or friends -- Minecraft, Terraria, Wakfu, Mabinogi, Dragon Nest, Pefect World, Team Fortress 2, Left for Dead 2 -- and I won't play them on my own as they're not otherwise captivating. 

Except the co-op shooters above, I don't currently play shooters.   I stopped somewhere around Doom 3 which I did not finish.  I also used to play Madden but I thought the franchise mode sucked and playing it against the computer was boring, so I don't. 

That is more games than I could complete in a yr, and I am home 24/7 due to disability.

As you mentioned..... you dont actually play a number of those except when certain conditions exist.As stated in OP, I go thru about 10 to 12 new games per yr(when I say new almost all are new release, but some could be used or "bargain bin" as you stated.....but all are games I have never played before), besides any repeat playthrus on prior completed games. Running thru my old copy of Baldurs Gate or Heroes of Might n Magic isnt the same as a new game purchase, as they were purchased & completed in prior yrs.

So on avg, how many new games do you go thru per yr? Or do you simply keep playing your older games, and checking out a few FTP MMO's.....maybe grabbing  game or two per yr?  Which if you have young kids, is probably about all you can do.....been there and done that. Lean yrs for sure, but makes ya a man to stand by your kids. :)

FYI the reason for this thread is to check who is actually enjoying the games being produced these days, and what is actually liked by forum users.

• ElikalElikal Member UncommonPosts: 7,912

I am a super-gamer! XD

No seriously. I like games from almost all genres, with the exception of sports games.

I played games since ~1985, back then on C64. I play RPGs, Action games, shooters, simulations, strategy games, adventures. I also have had a PS2 and played many asia RPGs and some other PS2 games, have a PS3 now, but there is just hardly any title nowadays that interests me.

Fav games (in no particular order)

Civilization I-IV, Sims 1 & 2, Command and Conquer, Lands of Lore, Ultima I-VII, Ultima Underworld I+2, Ultima World of Eodon, Ultima Martian Dreams, Wizardry, Might and Magic, Heroes of Might and Magic I-III, Kind Quest (all), System Shock 1&2, Warcraft 1&2, Anarchronox (you are GOOD if you recall that), Stonekeep, Monkey Island, Nancy Drew adventures, Hexen, Heretic, Diablo I, Grandia II, Suikoden II-IV, Arc the Lad, all Dynasty Warriors games, Warriors Orochi, Baldurs Gate 1+2, Neverwinter Nights 1+2, Icewind Dale 1+2, Dragon Age I, Death Gate, Sword of Shannara, Soulreaver, Legacy of Kain, The Dark Eye - Northland Trilogy, Amberstar, Ambermoon, Protostar, Whale's Voyage, Vision, Crusader No Remorse, Crusader No Regret, Betrayal at Krondor, Elder Scrolls (all), Fallout (all), Jagged Alliance (all), Demonworld, Megatraveller I+II, Planet's Edge, Fantasy General, Perfect General, Batman Arkham Asylum & Arkham City, UFO Enemy Unknown, Myth, Day of the Tentacle, Thief, Deus Ex I+II, Total War series.

I am sure I forgot some. If you know them all, you are good. ^^

Greatest Game ever:

Ultima VII - The Black Gate & Serpent Isle

MMOs I more or less liked:

Everquest II, SWG, City of Heroes, Lord of the Rings Online, Dark Ages of Camelot

People don't ask questions to get answers - they ask questions to show how smart they are. - Dogbert

• AlBQuirkyAlBQuirky Member EpicPosts: 7,432

I basically play older PC games. I have a few console games (mostly board games) that I do play now and then.

I play MMORPGs.

• EverQuest
    • Lord of the Rings Online

I play RPGs and simulations/strategies on the PC. I did purchase Skyrim as a new game.

• Morrowind (GotY)
    • Master of Magic
    • Neverwinter Nights (GotY)
    • Dungeon Keeper 2
    • Rail Empires: Iron Dragon
    • Computer Aquire
    • Settlers of Catan
    • Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic I and II (GotY)
    • Skyrim

I do have a few Console games (XBox 360).

• Madden 10 and 11
    • Ticket to Ride
    • Need for Speed: Shift
    • Settlers of Catan
    • Carcossonne

I play a lot of board games with my friends.

I suck at First Person Shooters, avoiding them like the plague :)

- Al

Personally the only modern MMORPG trend that annoys me is the idea that MMOs need to be designed in a way to attract people who don't actually like MMOs. Which to me makes about as much sense as someone trying to figure out a way to get vegetarians to eat at their steakhouse.
    - FARGIN_WAR

• LeegOfChldrnLeegOfChldrn Member Posts: 364

Originally posted by Edeus

My reply is in the form of a picture, AND I'M NOT TROLLING!!!!! (directed at forum mods)

Seconded. This is a perfect representation of my view of gamers.

"Console Peasant" also includes WoW kiddies and The Desperate Housewives of Warcraft.

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,498
    Where do you folks get all this free time from to play so many games? I seem to be the only full time employed person with a family on these threads sometimes.
    Used to be a big fan of single player RPG games for the PC back in the 80's and 90's but since the turn of the century it's pretty much been nothing but MMORPG's for me.
    I do try an occasional single player title from time to time, most recently Skyrim, but between the fact they lack the company of others they also lack the charm of the old school titles. MMO's aren't the only genre to have suffered a decline over the years. (Bring me back my damn graph paper!)
    As for consoles, those are something that my children play games on, I'm afraid I was too old to be part of that evolution of electronic gaming. (But I did play games on mainframes back in the 70's)

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• JakdstripperJakdstripper Member RarePosts: 2,410

i find single players games lacking. even great games like Skyrim end up feeling quite empty after a few hours without other human players.

i find the interaction with other human beings, in video games, to be the most fun and challenging aspect of gaming. a world filled with only AI feels incredibly static and lifeless.

the only console game i'm able to play are sports games but even then i prefer playing against people.

humans are endless content generators because they learn and addapt and create and  therfore always remain stimulating. AI is only challening wile you decode the "puzzle" and then quickly becomes stale and boring, and you need to move onto the next game.

for this reason i tend to prefer games that help players generate their own content (liek sandboxes) instead of mostly single player games themeparks that relly mostly on dev generated content.

• SenadinaSenadina Member UncommonPosts: 896

My favorite genre is RPG, single or multi-player. But I also enjoy mainly single-player shooters like Bioshock , Borderlands and Rage. Occasionally I buy a game just because the setting or story intrigue me ( L.A Noire, Heavy Rain, Red Dead Redemption).

I really wish I didn't suck at action games like Uncharted or Arkham City. I would love to play those types of games, but my ineptitude is too frustrating. Frustration  is also why I steer clear of platforming games.

If I have a choice between PC and console (PS3), I will choose PC every time. I much prefer keyboard/mouse to controller.

• EmrendilEmrendil Member Posts: 199

I'm a PC only gamer. My main genre is MMORPG, but I occasionally try some single player RPG games like Skyrim. Oh, and I do play Minecraft from time to time :)

• CuathonCuathon Member Posts: 2,211

Originally posted by Kyleran

Where do you folks get all this free time from to play so many games? I seem to be the only full time employed person with a family on these threads sometimes.

Used to be a big fan of single player RPG games for the PC back in the 80's and 90's but since the turn of the century it's pretty much been nothing but MMORPG's for me.

I do try an occasional single player title from time to time, most recently Skyrim, but between the fact they lack the company of others they also lack the charm of the old school titles. MMO's aren't the only genre to have suffered a decline over the years. (Bring me back my damn graph paper!)

As for consoles, those are something that my children play games on, I'm afraid I was too old to be part of that evolution of electronic gaming. (But I did play games on mainframes back in the 70's)

Anyone who doesn't have 12 hours a day to play MMOs is doing it wrong!!!

/elitism

• ElikalElikal Member UncommonPosts: 7,912

It's a secret meditation technique, passed down from gamer to gamer, learning how to live without sleep. XD

People don't ask questions to get answers - they ask questions to show how smart they are. - Dogbert

• CuathonCuathon Member Posts: 2,211

Originally posted by Elikal

It's a secret meditation technique, passed down from gamer to gamer, learning how to live without sleep. XD

What is this sleep you speak of? I am on a quest for ultimate knowledge and since I do not know I must be educated on this new and interesting topic. Can you describe what is this sleep you speak of?

• FrostWyrmFrostWyrm Member Posts: 1,036

Originally posted by LeegOfChldrn

Originally posted by Edeus

Seconded. This is a perfect representation of my view of gamers.

"Console Peasant" also includes WoW kiddies and The Desperate Housewives of Warcraft.

Both of which are PC games. Way to represent your side with such glowing logic.

Do some people really just lack the mental capacity to enjoy both?

• fenistilfenistil Member Posts: 3,005

I don't play much games.   

I rather pick few carefully and then usually stick to them for long.  That's especially true with mmorpg's.

Anyway 

MMO & MMORPG wise : 

Currently:

- nothing - no interesting games with business model I can stomach (too many microtransactions out there)

Longest played / Best past games:

- UO

- SWG 

- Lotro (went to shit in last years, f2p transition just speeded it up).

- EvE Online

Single player - mostly STRATEGIES and SP RPG games. Sometimes  fps and rts but that's rare.

Played in last year or so:

-  Civilization IV 

-  Football Manager 2012

- Skyrim

- Warcraft 3 TFT

Just finished playing:

- Kingdom of Amalur - game IS SERIOUSLY BAD.  Overall ideas are well bearable ,but totally screwed game design (game gets stupidly easy and repetetive after lvl 10 , + too streamlined and simplicized + lack of any challange from lvl 10-15 upward even on hard from level 15-20 game is totally faceroll , when first few levels can be hard). Reeks of badly designed button masher and was advertised as crpg which it is not.  + quests like taken from usual mmorpg(go kill 10 bandits) put in single player game - AWFUL.

Best past single player games:

- Fallout 1 & Fallout 2   (Fallout Tactics and Fallout 3 were bad / average)

- Baldur's Gate 1 & 2

- Civilization 2 & 4

- Heroes of Might and Magic II , III and V

- Master of Orion 2

- Tycoon games , Sim City ,

- Unreal Tournament

+ Flashback : Quest for Identity

• MumboJumboMumboJumbo Member UncommonPosts: 3,219

Prefer to pick games that are diverse, cheap, "lite", interesting gameplay & design

• dos-box: dungeon keeper

• iOS: async. corp, league of evil, fifa12, Traveller AR (shortly)

• indie: unepic, spelunky, spacechem, zombie atom smasher etc

• (PC main: "GW2" & EvE (both eventually) the next list.)

I'm sorta against consoles though they work for others & generally new PC titles compared to what else is already available don't consider cost-effective. For mmorpgs, looking for more niche, more world interactions...

• xaritscinxaritscin Member UncommonPosts: 350

i used to play RTS and adventure games in consoles, then i found MMOs and RPG games........have played social games, and now im getting into indie games......

to be honest few games can get you hooked.......im from the generation who played Age of Empires and man, RTS have become pretty crappy...........

• AxehiltAxehilt Member RarePosts: 10,504

I basically play anything that isn't a sports or racing title released on PC.  FPSes, RPGs, and MMORPGs tend to eat up most of my time.

"What is truly revealing is his implication that believing something to be true is the same as it being true. [continue]" -John Oliver

• tboxtbox Member Posts: 372

Dungeon Keeper was awsome. 

I

• CastillleCastillle Member UncommonPosts: 2,679
    Im in the same boat as elikal and just1.*huggle both of them*

I play just about all kinds of games with the exception of sports. For some reason the only sports games i get into are the wacky ones like nba street in gamecube (KICK TO NUTS FTW!) and the mario sports mix o.o

Umm...but yeah my favorite genre tends to be sim games. Majesty 1( 2 sucks) dungeon keepers, dwarf fortress etc keeps me coming back for more all the time.

Tbh i dont think ill ever be able to strictly stick to a mmo. Ill always end up going to other games like mvc3, little big planet, lil kings story, tactics ogre, disgaea, mario, sonic, pso, modnation racing, terraria, gta, saints row, metroid, dragon quest, etc.

''/\/\'' Posted using Iphone bunni
    ( o.o)
    (")(")
    **This bunny was cloned from bunnies belonging to Gobla and is part of the Quizzical Fanclub and the The Marvelously Meowhead Fan Club**