Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

This game is bad IMO [Mod edit]

xauth220xauth220 Member Posts: 9

For $15 a month this game is pretty terrible. It lacks so much in chacater customization, the game feels very generic, the only thing it has going for it is the combat which even that isn't so great, and the game overall just feels like it'd suite better for a f2p game.

Just my view of the game, don't see Tera Online lasting that long at all, much like swtor did. 

Comments

• stayontargetstayontarget Member RarePosts: 6,519

Ok thanks for your opinion.

Velika: City of Wheels: Among the mortal races, the humans were the only one that never built cities or great empires; a curse laid upon them by their creator, Gidd, forced them to wander as nomads for twenty centuries...

• DeathofsageDeathofsage Member UncommonPosts: 1,102

Originally posted by xauth220

For $15 a month this game is pretty terrible. It lacks so much in chacater customization, the game feels very generic, the only thing it has going for it is the combat which even that isn't so great, and the game overall just feels like it'd suite better for a f2p game.

Just my view of the game, don't see Tera Online lasting that long at all, much like swtor did. 

The key problem with character customization is it's too centralized around the face/head features for a lot of races. You can't control character size. You can't have fun creating funhouse-mirror characters or voluptuous defenders of truth.

I've been in all three betas and I am feeling kind of burnt out with the character wipes but I can't understand complaints about combat.

What specifically didn't you like about combat? How far did you level?

I mean TERA is standard fare in every way except for stunning graphics and not-WoW-clone combat, but those are enough for me. I like actively pressing skills and not relying on self buffs like Shield Block or Blood Shield.

Spec'ing properly is a gateway drug.
    12 Million People have been meter spammed in heroics.

• volttvoltt Member UncommonPosts: 432

you speak like swtor dead and burried

• entwederentweder Member UncommonPosts: 5

Not everyone cares that much about character customization. You still have certain options, but I don’t want to select the broadness of my character’s knee. What you need is a game that provides some innovation and enduring motivation.  The closed betas offer an insight of a mmo that supports new features like the action combat system, weird graphics and nice pvp. I can’t see any alternatives on the same level. But it is your opinion – and that is okay.

What character wipes?  I have yet to have a character wipe.  Is it because you only have single CB event keys?

Velika: City of Wheels: Among the mortal races, the humans were the only one that never built cities or great empires; a curse laid upon them by their creator, Gidd, forced them to wander as nomads for twenty centuries...

• NivisiruNivisiru Member UncommonPosts: 186

Only took me like 10min to know it was not for me. Just didn feel right and didn't really like anytihng about it. Same thing with Aion, I didn't get past the first day of beta. Just knew it was not good imo. 

I loved Lineage 2 so its not because its a Asian game. Simple just was not good imo. I know a lot who pre-orderd it in my circle of gamer friends, hope they like it. Yet I don't seem any of them sticking it out longer then a few months.

• entwederentweder Member UncommonPosts: 5

Maybe you should have played longer than 10 minutes :) That would have allowed you to take a real look on the game itself. I know the feeling of 'doesn't-fit-for-me' pretty much, but i just can advise you to take some time to get to know TERA. Real fun comes with more skills and level 20+.

To summarize: action combat system is really beautiful. Vindictus also has this kind of gameplay, but you really can't compare it. It's way more elaborated. Of couse, questing is shitty. But quests are just the way to the endgame, which will make out the fun. Can't say if the endgame is long-lasting, but it seems to be. (taking a look on some streams of TERA Korea.)

Originally posted by stayontarget

What character wipes?  I have yet to have a character wipe.  Is it because you only have single CB event keys?

Yeah, I've needed a different key for each beta because I haven't bothered pre-ordering.

My own fault :) but I'm feeling the pain now trying to level through Island of Dawn. It doesn't help that IoD is the most carebear starting zone I've ever seen. They could make a Carebears IP MMO and it would have a tougher starting zone :).

Originally posted by Deathofsage

Yeah, I've needed a different key for each beta because I haven't bothered pre-ordering.

My own fault :) but I'm feeling the pain now trying to level through Island of Dawn. It doesn't help that IoD is the most carebear starting zone I've ever seen. They could make a Carebears IP MMO and it would have a tougher starting zone :).

Ah i see and yeah that sucks.  And your right the island of dawn is easy mode but considering that the majority of the player base have never experenced an mmo with free aim I can understand the dev's going this easy.

Ah i see and yeah that sucks.  And your right the island of dawn is easy mode but considering that the majority of the player base have never experenced an mmo with free aim I can understand the dev's going this easy.

I can't :/

I don't need Dawn to be hard. I remember my first character, an Archer, where I was learning and a bit confused so I can appreciate that this is the learning zone.

I do need Dawn to be *harder* though. I'm afraid that a lot of people shut the game off before giving it a real shot. A lot of people started up WoW, having never experienced tab targeting, but all of WoW's starting zones are a lot harder than these.

* Not saying WoW's starting zones are hard, just much harder than these.

If mobs agro'd, swung a little faster, and some of them hit a little harder, players would actually bother dodging attacks. Ya know?

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,002

Hey OP,

You aren't off in your assessment. However, what you don't realize (or might not appreciate... or care about...) is that this game is "potentially" greater than the sum of it's parts. 

My brief experience on one of the weekends very much felt like my first Lineage 2 experience. And the excitment in the air was similiar. This game is probably not going to shine on it's pve. Oh, perhaps in the future but not yet... it's going to hinge on the pvp. Personally I LOVE the pvp system because I never once have to look at the keyboard or hot bars. Everything is very connected while just looking at the screen.

Now, one might say "potential" means nothing. I might agree but I feel that what we hae here are the makings of a game with a strong community, strong alliances, rivalries, etc. It's a bit old school in the feeling. Some might feel this is same old, same old but I suspect it's going to be a nice change of pace from some other quest based games. Persoanlly I skipped a lot of quests and just headed out on my own, taking some quests but mostly exploring. It can be done it seems.

Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • rexzshadowrexzshadow Member Posts: 1,428

1. not everyone care about customization, also just because you can't make retardly looking character/ Personally add more hair style and color and its pretty good.

2. Some people love the combat some don't its not going to fit anyone.

3. No it doesn't suit to be f2p, there is no f2p game this polished or this large at launch.

Tera is like almost opposite of swtor, Tera has good end game but pretty bad early game (1-20/30) but it has a solid end game that will keep player unlike swtor. Which has great progession but no end game at all. So ya we got a solid fan base, you might not think it will last but it will.

• DreadbladeDreadblade Member Posts: 384

Another review by someone who never got off the Island, Brilliant!!!!!!!!!

• SuperXero89SuperXero89 Member UncommonPosts: 2,551

What was the thread title before the mod edit?

• PocahinhaPocahinha Member UncommonPosts: 550

I totally agree, thats exacly my opinion, tera gives generic an entire new meaning, and the combat looks fun in the first few levels, but after killing the same mobs a couple of times it gets boring, tyring, blunt, hollow its just not fun at all after a few levels...just my opinion ofc.

• Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441

I thought it was pretty OK (and I left the island). Not great but not bad either.

I am not sure if I would pay 15 bucks a month for it, but I payed for worse games in the past so maybe if I get bored.

Personally do I think that the game probably should have been B2P or F2P from launch, it is rather hard to market another Korean game as P2P after Aion, that game turned off many games from asian MMOs. B2P is rare and should have attracted people just for that, F2P seems to earn more than P2P games nowadays.

• snapfusionsnapfusion Member Posts: 954

The key problem with character customization is it's too centralized around the face/head features for a lot of races. You can't control character size. You can't have fun creating funhouse-mirror characters or voluptuous defenders of truth.

I've been in all three betas and I am feeling kind of burnt out with the character wipes but I can't understand complaints about combat.

What specifically didn't you like about combat? How far did you level?

I mean TERA is standard fare in every way except for stunning graphics and not-WoW-clone combat, but those are enough for me. I like actively pressing skills and not relying on self buffs like Shield Block or Blood Shield.

There is nothing stunning about Teras graphics, I found them to be completely average.

• rexzshadowrexzshadow Member Posts: 1,428

was going to say something but than decided not to, no really a point in explaining realy, some people don't like the game they don't like the game. Like trying to explain how tasty chicken is to some one who say they hate chicken. Not going to work and only end up in pointless flame wars. So whatever roll for you doesn't exactly roll for me and vise versa.

Originally posted by rexzshadow

was going to say something but than decided not to, no really a point in explaining realy, some people don't like the game they don't like the game. Like trying to explain how tasty chicken is to some one who say they hate chicken. Not going to work and only end up in pointless flame wars. So whatever roll for you doesn't exactly roll for me and vise versa.

Dude same here, I held back, but I love reviews from people that never got off the island or joined a BAM grp or PvPed.

Originally posted by Dreadblade

Dude same here, I held back, but I love reviews from people that never got off the island or joined a BAM grp or PvPed.

I think that's a major fault of EME though. They really need to show players early on exactly what the game offers.

In the official forums, one guy had a great idea.. replace that terrible bridge instance (where you fight the incredibly weak mobs) with a BAM suited to your level. It would get rid of a terrible quest and bring a taste of interesting gameplay much earlier than however long it takes to get yoru first 20.

• PocahinhaPocahinha Member UncommonPosts: 550

I got off the island, but i also know that you dont need to get off the island to see how generic the game is, and to see how boring and tyring the combat system is imo.

If the combat is not for my liking then no use in doing group bams, or pvp..because everything in these games is combat.

Well that is why we are in Closed beta and not even open beta, so hopefully they can fine tune a few things, like that, which I think is a good idea.

Originally posted by Pocahinha

I got off the island, but i also know that you dont need to get off the island to see how generic the game is, and to see how boring and tyring the combat system is imo.

If the combat is not for my liking then no use in doing group bams, or pvp..because everything in these games is combat.

[Mod Edit]

• PivotelitePivotelite Member UncommonPosts: 2,145

Does something just make TERA scream f2p? I don't get it...

Incredible graphics, seamless world the size of Vanilla WoW, the most customization for UI I've seen on a games release...

You can create your own chat types, whatever you want them to refer to, name them, you can scale all UI individually, move everything.

• SorrowSorrow Member Posts: 1,195

Boggles I've played in every beta event both EU and NA and currently have a pre-order  ( for the moment ).

Honestly I was hoping the game was going to be at least on par with lineage 2, but sadly it just is not coming together.

Game looks OK, not stellar, but decent. The twitch combat system is nice to see, but not really new or done as well as some Korean F2P's like Dragonnest.

Just like SWTOR we once again have crazy new game insanity hype masking the fact the game really doesn't offer anything new other than the fact the game itself is new.

Most gamers have become so desperate for that next game that next fix, that you could rename zork or wasteland, put it in a pretty new box, make some awesome game trailer video that has absolutely nothing to do with real game play and it too would explode on here as some awesome amazing new game with so many cool things we have never seen before..

I really wish people could get themselves under some kind of control as the players themselves are the reason we are in this pile of crap games we are in. As long as this new game insanity continues why should devs bother investing the time and resources into making a quality game.