Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Did EA consume Bioware's soul?

Comments

• IntrinsicIntrinsic Member UncommonPosts: 60

Originally posted by ShakyMo

Ea destroy every developer they get their gruby hands on

Origin

Maxis

Bullfrog

Westwood

Mythic

Bioware?

Quoted for truth. EA are a soul destroying great SATAN these days. Back in the early 90s is when they were good, now they just ruin devs who made fantastic games.

• XexvXexv Member Posts: 308

Originally posted by ShakyMo
    Ea destroy every developer they get their gruby hands on
    Origin
    Maxis
    Bullfrog
    Westwood
    Mythic
    Bioware?

God this list was a blast from the past.

• ScorchienScorchien Member LegendaryPosts: 8,914

There is no surprise here , many of us saw this coming a long time a go and tried to warn Bioware fans of EAs influence, but they scoffed , and claimed we didnt know what we were talking about...

• FadedbombFadedbomb Member Posts: 2,081

Originally posted by Sorrow

If it is still up go to the EA investor site and listen to the November investor call.

They flat out say they aquired Bioware for its name and that they intend to use it for its reputation only outsourcing the actual development to cut costs.

Can haz source?

Couldn't find it on their investor site :(!

The Theory of Conservative Conservation of Ignorant Stupidity:
    Having a different opinion must mean you're a troll.

• thexratedthexrated Member UncommonPosts: 1,368

While it is not uncommon for developers to change companies, Bioware has recently lost quite a few senior developers that used to work for the company over the past 10 years or more. 

"The person who experiences greatness must have a feeling for the myth he is in."

• babacbabac Member UncommonPosts: 179

Yea dude they did. Just look at dragon age 2 and compare it to some older bioware games like baldurs gate or even KOTOR ...

• SorrowSorrow Member Posts: 1,195

Originally posted by Fadedbomb

Originally posted by Sorrow

If it is still up go to the EA investor site and listen to the November investor call.

They flat out say they aquired Bioware for its name and that they intend to use it for its reputation only outsourcing the actual development to cut costs.

Can haz source?

Couldn't find it on their investor site :(!

Yea sorry just looked they already have 2012 third quarter call up now. The one that made me gag was 2011 fourth quarter

• nyxiumnyxium Member UncommonPosts: 1,345

Lol ah these thread titles, getting more imaginative by the hour.

• VotanVotan Member UncommonPosts: 291

Originally posted by SuperXero89

I really think about 75-90 percent of the negative scores stem almost entirely from the big commotion over the at-release DLC.

The day one DL is a big factor, I am more pissed that the DL content affects the main story line.  If they wanted to have side things I probably could have dealt with it, but this shows no respect for the storyline which is what many of the ME fans loved about this game.  What this game felt like was just a pure money grab by EA/Bioware .

The DL content aside the lack of detail put into this game from the running animations to no holstering is really unacceptable.  Then we have story aspects taken right out of Dues Ex, bad dialog that does not fit in the story like suddenly I hard core soldier should care about some kid getting killed, after 2 games of watching men, woman and children get slaughtered, the nonsense story lines like I am going to kill this guy, to prevent the other guy from killing him first....I can go on and talk about the horrible endings but I do not want spoil it for those that have not finished.  They should get the full let down....

And do not get me started on the wide ranging Orgin spyware you have to install on your computer....

• GorillaGorilla Member UncommonPosts: 2,235

Bioware is gone.

To quote Mr. Praline: 'E's not pinin'! 'E's passed on! This parrot is no more! He has ceased to be! 'E's expired and gone to meet 'is maker! 'E's a stiff! Bereft of life, 'e rests in peace! If you hadn't nailed 'im to the perch 'e'd be pushing up the daisies! 'Is metabolic processes are now 'istory! 'E's off the twig! 'E's kicked the  bucket, 'e's shuffled off 'is mortal coil, run down the curtain and joined the bleedin' choir invisibile!! THIS IS AN EX-PARROT!

Not sure why anyone really discusses it tbh everyone knows.

• fenistilfenistil Member Posts: 3,005

I really think about 75-90 percent of the negative scores stem almost entirely from the big commotion over the at-release DLC.

Well of course thing like that IS and WILL affect score greatly.

After all people judge a PRODUCT not only gameplay.

Price and business model affect product rating in consumer eyes.

That is old as a world and nothing new.

• gaeanprayergaeanprayer Member UncommonPosts: 2,341

Yes.

You would be wrong to think that. I could point you to a 600 page thread, one of several though easily the largest, on the Bioware official forums of people complaining about the ending. The majority of them not only don't give a crap about day 1 DLC, it's at their own suggestion that Bioware offer more DLC just for a happy ending. They're that fanatical. No one cares about the DLC anymore, that's old news. People are pissed that the story itself hocked a big, thick, blood-tinged loogey in the eyes of people who were fans of the ME universe.

"Forums aren't for intelligent discussion; they're for blow-hards with unwavering opinions."

• CelciusCelcius Member RarePosts: 1,869

The only reviews that matter are sites like IGN/Gamespot anyways when it comes to sales. No one with any sense takes user reviews with a grain of salt. Sure, some of the popular sites have bias or agendas, but user reviews almost always do. 

• aesperusaesperus Member UncommonPosts: 5,135

Originally posted by fenistil

Not to mention that:

a) The at-release DLC isn't the only thing wrong w/ the game. There are quite a few examples floating around of parts of the game that are either rushed, made poorly, or are poorly written (in regards to plot lines).

b) Hyper-monotization, as well as having at-launch DLC that is part of the central plot IS a pretty big deal. Why? Because it means that they took development resources away from the actual game to develope something that they will charge extra for, WHILE charging the standard price for the box. This is a fairly blatant move to cut costs and maximize profits, at the expense of game quality.

• SuperXero89SuperXero89 Member UncommonPosts: 2,551

Originally posted by fenistil

I don't know if that's fair.  Just because people butthurt over the fact that they can't play as a Prothean without forking over extra cash on launch day doesn't mean the game itself is that bad.  For example, the fact that you dislike the company making a new movie or that the company did something you disagree with, or perhaps that the movie's leading roll is played by an actor whom you may disagree with politically, you may choose not to see the movie even if there may be nothing wrong with the movie itself.  As such, it's fine not to choose not to buy the game, but you shouldn't let your oppinions of developer's actions influence your score to such a degree.  Something like that deserves mention in a review, and if it impacts the score, it should be a small adjustment. think this is more a case of people like TotalBiscuit stirring up trouble over the internet, blowing this thing way out of proportion getting people's emotions worked up over something that's really not all that uncommon.

DLC sucks and taking it too far is going to most likely end up in a second video game market crash, but BioWare and EA are hardly the only companies that offer DLC on day one, and even the companies that wait a week or two before the first DLC is released, do you honestly think that content was created from start to finish within that period or do you think the content was basically done and held off to ship as additional content for extra revenue generation?

• ShakyMoShakyMo Member CommonPosts: 7,207
    I've got to say though out of evil producers I hate Sony more, mainly because its personal them feckers constructively dismissed me out of best job of my life
  • ShakyMoShakyMo Member CommonPosts: 7,207
    Ubisoft and activision are the other 2
  • iceman00iceman00 Member Posts: 1,363

Originally posted by Fadedbomb

I ask this after seeing the following 3 links in order from top to bottom:

Link#1

Link#2

Link#3

I was pretty shocked when I saw these :(. Trolls & Fanbois aside (god, I HATE those terms) I think this speaks at least SOME amount of volume towards what Bioware has become ever since EA aquired them. I had people telling me "Well anyone and their brother can write a review & vote on metacritic" which is true. However, when the first two have an average score of around 8.5, and the last one is 3.3 last I checked I think that speaks of a different picture.

OR,

The exact opposite happened, and people just like hating on the so called "Pinnacle" of a game's franchise.

Which do you think happened? Do you think Bioware has completely lost touch with how to make a proper game, or is it simply people overreacting to a "Dramatic" ending to one of the most popular franchises to be created in the past 10years?

:o

A few things

Board-bombing wasn't really as advanced back then as it was now.  In today's social media world, and given how prominent Metacritic has become (to some, I really don't visit it), this sort of stuff is going to happen with a lot higher sophistication and intensity.  (One need only look at how many of them bombarded with negative reviews about how they only needed 10 hours to beat the game...... 30 seconds after it launched.  Most people aren't going to pay attention to timestamps.

The majority of slams are focused on things not actually having to do with gameplay, but rather accessibility (Origin), and the DLC issue.  Both things that should be priced into the stock, but should not be the entirety of the review.

• SlampigSlampig Member UncommonPosts: 2,342

Originally posted by Dameonk

I ran a modding community for Baldurs Gate on Heat.net (and if you know what that is without having to look it up, +1 cookies for you) and for NWN when it was released.

Bioware games are 4 out of my top 10 favorite games.

I've been a fan of Bioware's games for a long time.  Hell, I even liked Jade Empire.

For me Mass Effect was the last real Bioware game.

Dragon Age was a horrible game, in my opinion.   ME2 was ok, but not nearly as good as the first one.

DA2, ME3, bleh.... After my experience wih the last games I had no desire to play these.  The micro transaction model they are using for ME3 put this on my do not buy list.

I will probably never buy another Bioware game if they continue down this path.  Was it EA that did this?  Only Bioware and EA know the answer to that, but if the news ever came out that it was true, I wouldn't be surprised.

Looks like you are probably done with gaming then as it seems a majority of companies, not just EA, are going down the microtransaction line...

That Guild Wars 2 login screen knocked up my wife. Must be the second coming!

• WorstluckWorstluck Member Posts: 1,269

Originally posted by Herodes

Link 1

Link 2

Link 3

---

Link 1

Link 2

Link 3

If you look at GTA scores only without RDR though, it fits more into the ME category.

http://www.metacritic.com/game/playstation-3/grand-theft-auto-iv

http://www.metacritic.com/game/xbox-360/grand-theft-auto-iv

Don't link the GTA IV for PC lol.  The Rockstar games are always ports with odd camera and controls.  GTAIV was a great game for consoles, sucked on the PC imo.  I don't think you can compare GTA IV to ME really.  Rockstar games are made for consoles firstly, then ported over at a later time, usually. 

I have disliked EA for a long time, but they are unavoidable sometimes.  When they buy up those development companies, I fall into the trap of thinking  that said development companies will continue to make quality games, and I buy their games.  Then shortly after I start playing I realize it's terrible, and that I have wasted more money.  I think though at this point, I can safely I am pretty much done with EA.  The destruction of Bioware, and everything that has happened in the last year with SWTOR, with Steam/Origin, I get a little sick to my stomach.  I may try The Secret World, but I will not paying $60 for it when it releases that is for sure (unless it's F2P, I have no idea, I know nothing about the game). 

They have made and published some good games though, just fallen so far.  Anyone remember Skate or Die!.  I played the hell out of the game in the late 80's haha.  They acutally made that game, got published by someone else.  I have fond memories too of the early NHL games on the Sega Genesis.   It's crazy to think though, it's been 20 years for me since they have made any decent games (IMO).  All the sports games for the past 10-15 years always seem like copy/pastas of last years. 

• ThorbrandThorbrand Member Posts: 1,198

Day late and dollar short to ask that question. We already know BW doesn't exist any longer except in name as a division of EA.

• iceman00iceman00 Member Posts: 1,363

Originally posted by Votan

The day one DL is a big factor, I am more pissed that the DL content affects the main story line.  If they wanted to have side things I probably could have dealt with it, but this shows no respect for the storyline which is what many of the ME fans loved about this game.  What this game felt like was just a pure money grab by EA/Bioware .

The DL content aside the lack of detail put into this game from the running animations to no holstering is really unacceptable.  Then we have story aspects taken right out of Dues Ex, bad dialog that does not fit in the story like suddenly I hard core soldier should care about some kid getting killed, after 2 games of watching men, woman and children get slaughtered, the nonsense story lines like I am going to kill this guy, to prevent the other guy from killing him first....I can go on and talk about the horrible endings but I do not want spoil it for those that have not finished.  They should get the full let down....

And do not get me started on the wide ranging Orgin spyware you have to install on your computer....

How does it effect the storyline?  It doesn't.  It has about 30 seconds of interesting dialogue in the beginning of the game, and other than that, it's another character with some dialogue that really isn't that interesting, in addition to some weapons, new skins for your squad, etc.  I mean, if you wanna have Ash in nylons and basically asshorts, the collectors edition is for you.  :p  It was something for those who buy the collectors edition to enjoy.  I don't see anything wrong with it.

Origin?  Yeah.  The "dream sequence?"  They really just tried too hard to pull at the emotional strings.  They achieved enough emotional effect with the boy on the first mission.

If you wanna knock the decision go ahead.  But don't sit there and say it has an impact on the main storyline.  Don't buy the DLC, and there is no real change.  The story is still the story.  This just adds a little layer on the outskirts of the story.

• Paradigm68Paradigm68 Member UncommonPosts: 890

Well I don't know about game quality but I can tell you that being am EA game inadvertantly cost them a sale. I'd been looking forward to the game, but hadn't been following all the news. Just waiting for it to show up on Steam. Well of course you all know EA didn't release it on Steam. I had no idea, I think a week went by before I realized it had launched and it wasn't coming out on Steam. By this time however I'd read some of the things that had been written and heard about the whole DLC thing and decided I'd just go ahead and wait a year for the goty/ultimate edition with all DLC included.

So being with EA cost them a launch day sale, all the DLC I might have bought, and instead its a maybe sale heavily discounted a year down the road.

And all of that without being an EA hater.

• gaeanprayergaeanprayer Member UncommonPosts: 2,341

Originally posted by Votan

It doesn't. I was on your side and the side of people like you until I got to try the DLC on a friend's account (it's his account I was playing the game through, until I decided it was worth the price). But really in all honesty, you're not missing anything.  In fact, his addition to the storyline is so contrived and miniscule that, if I HAD paid for him, I'd be pissed. He's a prothean, yes, but a warrior, and when confronted with technology of his species he is completely in the dark about it. The only one that was more disappointed by him than me, was Liara. Poor thing had so many questions and he could answer none of them. Ironically, both my friend and I used him for only a couple of missions then disregarded him entirely.

There are a lot of really good reasons to be annoyed with ME3. That DLC, I promise you, isn't one of them. Just let that one go.

"Forums aren't for intelligent discussion; they're for blow-hards with unwavering opinions."

• fenistilfenistil Member Posts: 3,005

Originally posted by Slampig

Originally posted by Dameonk

I ran a modding community for Baldurs Gate on Heat.net (and if you know what that is without having to look it up, +1 cookies for you) and for NWN when it was released.

Bioware games are 4 out of my top 10 favorite games.

I've been a fan of Bioware's games for a long time.  Hell, I even liked Jade Empire.

For me Mass Effect was the last real Bioware game.

Dragon Age was a horrible game, in my opinion.   ME2 was ok, but not nearly as good as the first one.

DA2, ME3, bleh.... After my experience wih the last games I had no desire to play these.  The micro transaction model they are using for ME3 put this on my do not buy list.

I will probably never buy another Bioware game if they continue down this path.  Was it EA that did this?  Only Bioware and EA know the answer to that, but if the news ever came out that it was true, I wouldn't be surprised.

Looks like you are probably done with gaming then as it seems a majority of companies, not just EA, are going down the microtransaction line...

Oh there are and there will be companies not using those.

Don't have to be done with gaming - just make peace with a fact that you won't play 90% of games.

I already made peace with that.

It's not that hard. Actually it is preety easy to make this decsion.

Much easier than I thought.

Microtransactions in sbscription games, microtransactions in single player games. 

Lol I would have to be mad to spent my money on products with business model like that.