Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

The Main 3 Themeparks Today

TROLL_HARDTROLL_HARD Member Posts: 312

Which game do you prefer out of these main three themepark games and why? I'd rather see positive comments about the things you like in a game rather than negative about the games you don't like. 

I've played all of the games (choices 1-3) and I kind of bounce back and forth between them. I'm thinking about focusing on one. Any other suggestions (LoTR, EQII, Aion, etc.)?

Comments

• DauzqulDauzqul Member RarePosts: 1,982

My first "linear" Theme Park MMO was EverQuest 2. I had a lot of fun. However, things started to get old and feel redundant. This made me explore new games, e.g., World of Warcaft, Vanguard, Age of Conan, Warhammer, Darkfall, Mortal Online, Aion, Star Trek Online, and SWTOR.

I didn't last past the free month / pre-order headstart. The game was either too hardcore to the point where it was boring (Darkfall / Mortal) or too simple and "guided" to the point where it was beyond boring (SWTOR, WoW, AoC, WAR, STO, Aion, etc). I probably would've liked Darkfall / Mortal a bit more had it not been for the first-person point of view. It just felt so clunky and ameture.

I yeard for a Mild Theme Park with loads of Sandbox features, e.g., player cities, player economy, deep crafting, world pvp (battlegrounds have ruined everything) etc. As far as I know, ArcheAge seems to be the game for me. But that's 1-2 years off.

If you want to game in the next few weeks, I'd look into Tera Online. It may be a Theme Park, but it's unique combat and World PvP is enough to retain my interest.

• BrokenSpoonBrokenSpoon Member Posts: 205

Alton Towers, Thorpe Park, Chessington World of Adventures?! 

All hail the Barn Owl! oh.. and the RED SQUIRREL!!!

• ForumPvPForumPvP Member Posts: 871

WoW

+10 satisfaction points per every WoW player killed ,character control is good,victims are the worst in MMO´s  = win. (you can kill WoW forum people,think about it)

+2 per rift player , its extremely out of control but sometimes you can feel the fight for 2 seconds.

0 per SWToR player,it doesnt even feel like PvP

Let's internet

• elockeelocke Member UncommonPosts: 4,335

Honestly, all one needs is to sub to WoW, Rift and Lotro and then see which is the better of the 3 that has them playing longer and there is your answer.  For me, all 3 have great aspects and some weaknesses so I usually tend to play one or the other or the other depending on my mood that night.  At least while I wait on TSW and GW2.

• memorycrisismemorycrisis Member Posts: 3

Will be flamed for saying so but i'm currently playing wow and am finally having as much fun as I did back in vanilla.  It may be easy mode to some but the new raid finder is a great addition in my opinion.  Yes the graphics may be dated but the art direction is excellent.  The game may have a lot of nasty or childish players but that is only a problem until you put in the effort to type /ignore.

Although i'm not playing it anymore I highly recommend LOTRO if you haven't played it before.  It really is a gem and a real paradise if you like to roleplay.

• VesaviusVesavius Member RarePosts: 7,908

Aion.

Yes, I know, you don't like it and have an issue with oversized weapons and good looking women.

I don't really care.

• PivotelitePivotelite Member UncommonPosts: 2,145

I have to say WoW, regardless of it's current state, I really enjoyed it in the past and can still even find enjoyment out of it now when I am bored.

Rift comes in second because I really like Trion and what they did with a tight budget, for a new company they are setting a very good example for other companies trying to start up, the game just didn't click for me.

However, I have a feeling TERA will capture me more than WoW from my experience thus far, so once that goes live I'll probably have to change to other. ;)

• MosesZDMosesZD Member UncommonPosts: 1,361

I have played all three.     And they all falied to hold my interest for even 30-days.   With WoW it was aesthetics.  With Rift it was the constant catastrophy curve.   And, SWTOR, of the three, was by far and away the worst.   If you took all the bad/dull from Rift and WoW and doubled it, you'd still fail to grasp how crappy SWTOR is...

OTOH, it's not like I'm impossible to please.  

I played LOTRO for two years.   I played Eve Online for a year with two accounts and only quit because of the T20 scandal.  I played Fallen Earth for six, maybe seven months but left when Icaraus pretty much folded and the game looked like it was functionally dead (right after the 1.5 patch) since they'd fired all the developers...    I played the F2P, Korean grind-fest, hackers/cheaters paradise Mabinogi for two years. 

And I've played a lot of others, on-and-off.   Guild Wars was great for a one-or-two sessions a week play.   DDO is good for a few weeks of solid game-play every now and then.   I still have my LOTRO account and log-in on weekends.   Lineage II is a lark every now and then.   Star Trek online is well worth a single-month subscription (maybe two if you're slower...)   Age of Conan had great combat (but the eyes creeped me out and the game is fairly empty) and I enjoyed my brief F2P foray there, too.

And, right now, I'm subscribing to DCUO.   I never, in a million years, thought I'd like a comic-book game.  Especially a DC Comics game because I was more a Marvel/X-Men comics reader all those years ago...   But it's been a lot of fun.

EDIT:

I've also played a lot of older MMOs...  EQ2, UO, etc.   I don't much see the point in recommending them.   They're dead or dying.   Though between LOTRO and SWTOR I did replay EQ2 for about six weeks.   It was okay... 

• Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441

I dunno, they are fine games but none of them really are my cup of tea.

I spent many years in EQ2 and GW though but I tired a while ago. Right now I play a little DDO and at times GW while I wait for new games that might fit me better. Sometimes a little of a F2P game or another.

• PuremallacePuremallace Member Posts: 1,856

. I chose Rift because of the developer. It may not be the most inventive thing ever, but they atleast try and I know when give them $15 a month I see results.

. WoW fans are just delusional right now. This is not Blizzard most of us grew up with. I request they drop the Blizzard name and just be referred to as Activision because they are just embarrising the name right now on how they are treating these people.

WoW fans do not get this. That game makes 1 BILLION a year. THERE SHOULD NOT BE ANY COMPETITION. 7 years old or not there should not be subs leaving. WoW should offer literally everything. The suggestion forums should be empty because it should have everything. They have money coming out of their ass. Imagine Scrooge in duck tales swimming in cash and you have Blizzard.

. TOR obviously released incomplete and the fans are dealing with a junior dev. This is not Bioware. It is a studio they put the title Bioware on for marketting purposes. This is a simple fact. They can make single player RPG's extremely well, but mmorpg's they are just as junior as Indie companies. The list of priorities is a joke. Patch 1.2 should prove to everyone in the genre that SWTOR should not have launched until April 2012. The list of features is what you expect on launch these days.

The WoW thing pisses me off the most because I was playing Warcraft before some of these WoW twits were even born. Hell I still remember the cheat codes for god mode "Today is a good day to die". How Activision pissed away their playerbase should be taught in business classes about how not to run a business. They took the game from this legendary thing that could not be touched to cancer patient dying a slow pitiful death.

My personel HOPE is that GW2 comes in a gets a lot of these old school "raid or die" devs get fired. Honestly it is 7 years over due. I just ranted on another message board about this when it came to Rift. These "raid or die" devs need to just go somewhere else because the technology is to a point they are not needed anymore.

• WhiteLanternWhiteLantern Member RarePosts: 3,309

Well, let's see.

I played WoW for 5 years.

I'm currently subbed to TOR.

I played a couple of free Rift weekends and couldn't get into it.

My opinion? LotRO is the best themepark out there.

I want a mmorpg where people have gone through misery, have gone through school stuff and actually have had sex even. -sagil

• PivotelitePivotelite Member UncommonPosts: 2,145

Originally posted by Puremallace

WoW fans do not get this. That game makes 1 BILLION a year. THERE SHOULD NOT BE ANY COMPETITION. 7 years old or not there should not be subs leaving. WoW should offer literally everything. The suggestion forums should be empty because it should have everything. They have money coming out of their ass. Imagine Scrooge in duck tales swimming in cash and you have Blizzard.

Exactly this, WoW now is dead to me in a sense for this reason, I will not be buying the new expansion, I didn't even buy Cata, my friend did for me lol.

I mean, they make billions a year with WoW and other products combined, what they could be adding is substantial and yet...

All they add is mounts in a shop for $25 and expansions every year and a half you have to pay $60 for. They are just in it for the money now, they could be doing so much with what they have and it would benefit them in the end. But instead are just in it to fish money from those willing to throw it away.

• PuremallacePuremallace Member Posts: 1,856

Originally posted by WhiteLantern

Well, let's see.

I played WoW for 5 years.

I'm currently subbed to TOR.

I played a couple of free Rift weekends and couldn't get into it.

My opinion? LotRO is the best themepark out there.

I think he could be referring to pay to play.

• EmrendilEmrendil Member Posts: 199

For me Rift. It was the game that got me in to the MMORPG genre.

• TROLL_HARDTROLL_HARD Member Posts: 312

I played Aion a couple of days ago with the Rally the Troops event they have on now and had a couple of fun sessions. I liked flying around a bit. My highest toon is a level 26. And all my avatars in that game are hot females. It's the only game where I rolled all female toons.

A couple of people mentioned  LOTRO, and I would like to know more about why you like it. I played a dwarf champion I think, but I never got past level 6 or so. I admit, I really didn't give it much of a try. The combat seemed a little clunky to me and I was tired of running all over that dwarf fortress back and forth. I also like a game with a pvp option. Is monster play fun? I think this game would have been so cool if I could have rolled an orc and started in Mordor or as an Uruk-hai with Saruman.

But that is nothing like all the running around I've been doing in SWTOR. I've been having fun with my Sith Warrior and I think he looks pretty cool. I like the story and I'm looking forward to the day when I take down Darth Baras (I think it's pretty obvious that's what's going to happen, but I don't know the story line). What I don't like is the dull grind between the story progress. And one thing that's irritating me a lot now is a quest line I can't abandon. It's not even a class quest. It's some stupid planet quest on Tatooine and I am really done with that place, but I feel like they are forcing (no pun intended) me to go through the quest line, which is very tedious.

Still have WoW on the HD and a couple of friends of mine play, but when I looked at the screen, I just couldn't really get motivated to go into the world. I've had fun, but I never really maxed out my gear through raiding. It's the only game that any of my RL friends play. 

I'm leaning a bit toward  Rift because of the events and the art style of Telara. I'm casual enough nowadays that the LFG feature is good for me and if I have a new 50 and decide to go for getting geared up and seeing what the "endgame" has to offer, this might be a good choice. I would like a bigger world to explore, but  the devs do seem to be adding land (Ember Isles) and fishing, which could be fun to do when not doing other stuff like dailies, pvp, etc.

Tera is not out yet, but I will proably try it as soon as I can. Like everyone else, I'm waiting on those new games coming out.

• MeridionMeridion Member UncommonPosts: 1,495

Originally posted by TROLL_HARD

A couple of people mentioned  LOTRO, and I would like to know more about why you like it. I played a dwarf champion I think, but I never got past level 6 or so. I admit, I really didn't give it much of a try. The combat seemed a little clunky to me and I was tired of running all over that dwarf fortress back and forth. I also like a game with a pvp option. Is monster play fun? I think this game would have been so cool if I could have rolled an orc and started in Mordor or as an Uruk-hai with Saruman.

from the top of my head:

Only MMORPG novel/movie-adaption that is mostly true to the lore. The environment from the books is in the game practically 1 to 1. From the trees and flets of Lorien to the location of the prancing pony's side entrance.

Most authentic looking world-design. No 100-feet-tall-trees, no mushroom-swamps, no crystal-deserts. Just meadows, woods and mountains. +10 for Immersion.

Very classic tank/heal/dps/CC design. If you roll a hunter, you do DPS. Period. No shitty 'can you heal for this one' or 'can you respec to tank for this'. You're a tank, a healer or a damage dealer, no questions asked. Live with it. People always complain about the trinity, but in fact it entitles you to BE the dps and nobody can force you to meme the limping hybrid healer.

Best story quests ever. No questions asked. Some really epic moments. Only SWTOR comes close.

Best roleplaying in the industry. Not some PnP RP-police nerds but normal people for casual RP. Not too many kids with bad names either. 

Best cosmetic options in the industry, hundreds of interchangable cosmetic outfits to change appearance to, from crafting aprons to ball dresses, social items like spades, cakes or letters. Social abilities like smoking pipeweed, playing instruments, drinking beer, etc.

PvMP is ok, but shouldn't be the reason to grab this game.

Also character animation quality is sub-par. If Kung-Fu moves are your cup of tea, LotRO will disappoint.

All in all best theme-park to me. By far.

M

• ShakyMoShakyMo Member CommonPosts: 7,207
    What they're separate games?
  • xDayxxDayx Member Posts: 712

None of the themeparks are my #1 choice. But if I was forced to play one it would have to be 1) Vanguard, then 2)Rift or SWTOR

• TROLL_HARDTROLL_HARD Member Posts: 312

Originally posted by Meridion

Originally posted by TROLL_HARD

from the top of my head:

Only MMORPG novel/movie-adaption that is mostly true to the lore. The environment from the books is in the game practically 1 to 1. From the trees and flets of Lorien to the location of the prancing pony's side entrance.

Most authentic looking world-design. No 100-feet-tall-trees, no mushroom-swamps, no crystal-deserts. Just meadows, woods and mountains. +10 for Immersion.

Very classic tank/heal/dps/CC design. If you roll a hunter, you do DPS. Period. No shitty 'can you heal for this one' or 'can you respec to tank for this'. You're a tank, a healer or a damage dealer, no questions asked. Live with it. People always complain about the trinity, but in fact it entitles you to BE the dps and nobody can force you to meme the limping hybrid healer.

Best story quests ever. No questions asked. Some really epic moments. Only SWTOR comes close.

Best roleplaying in the industry. Not some PnP RP-police nerds but normal people for casual RP. Not too many kids with bad names either. 

Best cosmetic options in the industry, hundreds of interchangable cosmetic outfits to change appearance to, from crafting aprons to ball dresses, social items like spades, cakes or letters. Social abilities like smoking pipeweed, playing instruments, drinking beer, etc.

PvMP is ok, but shouldn't be the reason to grab this game.

Also character animation quality is sub-par. If Kung-Fu moves are your cup of tea, LotRO will disappoint.

All in all best theme-park to me. By far.

M

Thanks for a great reply to my question, Meridion! I may have to give LOTRO another look.

• ShakyMoShakyMo Member CommonPosts: 7,207
    Lotro online although I'm not a big fan (of all 3) is weirdley better than them big 3 pvp wise.

Monster play >wintergrasp
  • SuperXero89SuperXero89 Member UncommonPosts: 2,551

I had to vote for WoW.  I may be playing TERA/SW:TOR right now, but if I had not already played World of Warcraft to death, I'd probably still be there.  In fact, I may spend my Spring Break weekend in Azeroth thanks to the new Scroll of Resurrection rewards.  The game basically has everything that matters in a themepark MMORPG and has fully developed features that all the clones either refuse to implement, are working towards implementing, or have implemented poorly.

The vast array of battlegrounds, dungeons (along with the dungeon finder), achievements, quests, and exploration that can be done assures that when you log in you'll won't be bored for a long time.  Now that the game has a raid finder, you can pretty much do whatever you want whenver you want to do it.  I also enjoyed collecting mounts and running oldschool raids for achievements and item rewards.

• snapfusionsnapfusion Member Posts: 954

Originally posted by Vesavius

Aion.

Yes, I know, you don't like it and have an issue with oversized weapons and good looking women.

I don't really care.

You mean slutty looking 12 year olds, ya I do actually.

• teakboisteakbois Member Posts: 2,154

Today, EQ2 is probably the best themepark out there.  Great variety of races, classes, zones, dungeons (or instances), raids, crafting, and housing.  It manages to be a little less themeparky than the others IMO. 

• ThorbrandThorbrand Member Posts: 1,198

EQ2

LotR

DAoC

The three listed is pretty funny!

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,498

Currently playing SWTOR so that is the way I voted atm. 

But fact is, played the others and have done all that I wanted to and moved on, nature of all games, not just these 3.

Always searching for that DAOC 2 replacement image

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon