Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Did EA consume Bioware's soul?

FadedbombFadedbomb Member Posts: 2,081

I ask this after seeing the following 3 links in order from top to bottom:

Link#1

Link#2

Link#3

I was pretty shocked when I saw these :(. Trolls & Fanbois aside (god, I HATE those terms) I think this speaks at least SOME amount of volume towards what Bioware has become ever since EA aquired them. I had people telling me "Well anyone and their brother can write a review & vote on metacritic" which is true. However, when the first two have an average score of around 8.5, and the last one is 3.3 last I checked I think that speaks of a different picture.

OR,

The exact opposite happened, and people just like hating on the so called "Pinnacle" of a game's franchise.

Which do you think happened? Do you think Bioware has completely lost touch with how to make a proper game, or is it simply people overreacting to a "Dramatic" ending to one of the most popular franchises to be created in the past 10years?

:o

The Theory of Conservative Conservation of Ignorant Stupidity:
Having a different opinion must mean you're a troll.

Comments

• dubyahitedubyahite Member UncommonPosts: 2,483
    Not sure yet. Just started playing through the game today. I'm only a couple of hours in so far.

From what little I have experienced, I see a continuation of mass effect 2 gameplay with a few new features here and there.

It feels like ME 2 to me so far. I loved ME 2 so I'm enjoying it. I really don't see anything terribly wrong with the game that stands out so far.

Not sure what game these people who gave it a zero played, but I can say ME 3 is not a 0 lol.

Anyone who rates this game anything below a 7 needs their head checked.

Shadow's Hand Guild
    Open recruitment for

The Secret World - Dragons

Planetside 2 - Terran Republic

Tera - Dragonfall Server

http://www.shadowshand.com

• ShakyMoShakyMo Member CommonPosts: 7,207
    Ea destroy every developer they get their gruby hands on

Origin
    Maxis
    Bullfrog
    Westwood
    Mythic
    Bioware?
  • Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441

I am not sure it all is EAs fault. But the real problem is that Bioware now have 4 studios and have also spread out the talented people.. I think a lot of the problem is that they just are too big now. BG 1 & 2 and NWN were all timeless classics but I think Bioware dropped in quality long before EA.

Then again, after what EA did to Westwood nothing would surprise me.

• CujoSWAoACujoSWAoA Member UncommonPosts: 1,781

Bioware peaked with Jade Empire.

After JE their games have been getting more and more streamlined, linear and without soul.

• DameonkDameonk Member UncommonPosts: 1,914

I ran a modding community for Baldurs Gate on Heat.net (and if you know what that is without having to look it up, +1 cookies for you) and for NWN when it was released.

Bioware games are 4 out of my top 10 favorite games.

I've been a fan of Bioware's games for a long time.  Hell, I even liked Jade Empire.

For me Mass Effect was the last real Bioware game.

Dragon Age was a horrible game, in my opinion.   ME2 was ok, but not nearly as good as the first one.

DA2, ME3, bleh.... After my experience wih the last games I had no desire to play these.  The micro transaction model they are using for ME3 put this on my do not buy list.

I will probably never buy another Bioware game if they continue down this path.  Was it EA that did this?  Only Bioware and EA know the answer to that, but if the news ever came out that it was true, I wouldn't be surprised.

"There is as yet insufficient data for a meaningful answer."

• IAmMMOIAmMMO Member UncommonPosts: 1,462

EA has consumed many a great developer! After Origin and the way they went about BF3, and all their games now is the last straw for me to never pay to play an EA backed gamed again. Reports are coming in how the just released Mass Effect 3 gameplay hours is nothing like the previous two, and part two was a big water down from part one. To add insult to injury,EA are already offering DLC on day of release for ME3.

This is EA now,it's all about the business model to put a milking squeeze on your pocket rather than just giving you the whole damn game you paid for to go enjoy like back in the day!. It's not just EA either,  it seems to be the new era of DLC to divide up your game nonsense, which in turn ruins overall game creativity and the immersion experience.

• RemainsRemains Member UncommonPosts: 375

Well, the quality sure seems to be dropping. Hard to tell if its EA or just Bioware losing it (probably EA though image)

Speaking of quality, found a funny ME3-thingie:

The mark of quality

And favourite quote from the comments:

"You know what? they say - once you've hit rock bottom, there's only one way you can go - sideways" image

• RoutverRoutver Member Posts: 383

It's not just BioWare, DICE used to make some nice stuff but then they decided to cater to the masses and dumb down Battlefield 3. They just announced this DLC that is basically Battlefield without vehicles in very very small maps.

The "old EA" never left. Instead of trying to make game developers work on the strengths of their products, show players how variety can be great, they just want to make the games under the EA banner as similar as the most popular thing out there, at the expense of the IPs' souls. Great if they want some quick buck but the credibility of the franchises will take a hit.

• SorrowSorrow Member Posts: 1,195

If it is still up go to the EA investor site and listen to the November investor call.

They flat out say they aquired Bioware for its name and that they intend to use it for its reputation only outsourcing the actual development to cut costs.

• alkarionlogalkarionlog Member EpicPosts: 3,584

Originally posted by Routver

It's not just BioWare, DICE used to make some nice stuff but then they decided to cater to the masses and dumb down Battlefield 3. They just announced this DLC that is basically Battlefield without vehicles in very very small maps.

The "old EA" never left. Instead of trying to make game developers work on the strengths of their products, show players how variety can be great, they just want to make the games under the EA banner as similar as the most popular thing out there, at the expense of the IPs' souls. Great if they want some quick buck but the credibility of the franchises will take a hit.

prblem is we have too many fool who don't even know what credibility is, so they still give they money to ae for half asset things, and still say they are gods in earth to amke they boring soulless lifes have a meaning....

agains SHEEPS WILL BE SHEEPS, nothing will cahnge when we still have pople paying for day one DLC saying its ok, monetizing is shouldn't be ok but people still buy it, now well see what you guys did? every single game have less content to do on it, because they can later sell it for 10-20 bucks for 1-2 hours of gameplay. reall nice.....

I want that time back when I bought a game and I had over 100 hours of gameplay on it and anotehr 50 if I wanted to buy the expansion, no is 8 hours, with several dlcs who raise another 8 costing another game in launch day....

FOR HONOR, FOR FREEDOM.... and for some money.
  • MMOarQQMMOarQQ Member Posts: 636

• ZekiahZekiah Member UncommonPosts: 2,483

Originally posted by MMOarQQ

THIEF! image

"Censorship is never over for those who have experienced it. It is a brand on the imagination that affects the individual who has suffered it, forever." - Noam Chomsky

• MMOarQQMMOarQQ Member Posts: 636

Originally posted by Zekiah

THIEF! image

Great minds. ;)

Originally posted by MMOarQQ

THIEF! image

Great minds. ;)

Lol! I was just about to Google up some Borg pics, shoulda known better.

"Censorship is never over for those who have experienced it. It is a brand on the imagination that affects the individual who has suffered it, forever." - Noam Chomsky

• ste2000ste2000 Member EpicPosts: 6,194

Answer: Yes

Just look at the long list of EA casualties:

- Origin System (Ultima and UO)

- Westwood Studios (Command and Conquer)

- Bullfrog (Magic Carpet and Dungeon Keeper)

- Mythic (DAOC and WAR)

- Maxis (Sim City)

Great Studios killed by EA marketing machine, and now it's Bioware turn

Originally posted by ste2000

- Mythic (DAOC and WAR)

- Maxis (Sim City)

/sadface

I had some good times playing Origin and Bullfrog games. Populous anyone?!

• sonicbrewsonicbrew Member UncommonPosts: 515

Yes but EA is definitely not alone in that process....

“Once the game is over, the king and the pawn go back in the same box.” ~ Italian proverb   

• VassagoMaelVassagoMael Member Posts: 555

Yes. I remember when EA took over UO and then TRAMMEL happened. Was a sad day :C

Free to play = content updates for the cash shop. Buy to play = content updates for the cash shop.
    Subscription = Actual content updates!

• fenistilfenistil Member Posts: 3,005

Yes and no.

Yes cause EA like Activision is corporate leech that cater to safe tacitics and they depend on their finacial and marketing resourcees and not on making great games.

No - cause managment of Bioware people that have benn since it's begginings agreed to that are they are now having prominent exceptionally well paid positions at EA Corp and seem very content to follow EA strategies. 

Besides game that started BW fame and might - Baldur's Gate was created in big part by folks from Black Isle -a studio which spawned also such legendary titles as Fallout 1 & 2. 

There is no saving for Bioware imo. Now they are just a brand that is and will be used to fuel sales cause many players recognize it and it buying anything with BW tag no matter what game it is.

• AcmegamerAcmegamer Member UncommonPosts: 337

Originally posted by Fadedbomb

I ask this after seeing the following 3 links in order from top to bottom:

Link#1

Link#2

Link#3

I was pretty shocked when I saw these :(. Trolls & Fanbois aside (god, I HATE those terms) I think this speaks at least SOME amount of volume towards what Bioware has become ever since EA aquired them. I had people telling me "Well anyone and their brother can write a review & vote on metacritic" which is true. However, when the first two have an average score of around 8.5, and the last one is 3.3 last I checked I think that speaks of a different picture.

OR,

The exact opposite happened, and people just like hating on the so called "Pinnacle" of a game's franchise.

Which do you think happened? Do you think Bioware has completely lost touch with how to make a proper game, or is it simply people overreacting to a "Dramatic" ending to one of the most popular franchises to be created in the past 10years?

:o

Do some research into EA's history once the founder retired and you'll see that EA has a history of doing just that. They fall under all sorts of criticsm for their activies. And yes I do think that Bioware being bought by EA was the worst thing that could have happened to Bioware. As a dozen other studios how their buy outs went. ;>

• AcmegamerAcmegamer Member UncommonPosts: 337

Originally posted by ste2000

- Mythic (DAOC and WAR)

- Maxis (Sim City)

/sadface

I had some good times playing Origin and Bullfrog games. Populous anyone?!

Loved Populous and Dungeon Keeper. :)

• BereKinBereKin Member Posts: 287

They sold there soul to EA and now they are just cash machine.It happens when corporation suits takes over.

• HerodesHerodes Member UncommonPosts: 1,494

Link 1
    Link 2
    Link 3
    ---
    Link 1
    Link 2
    Link 3

If you look at GTA scores only without RDR though, it fits more into the ME category.

• SuperXero89SuperXero89 Member UncommonPosts: 2,551

I really think about 75-90 percent of the negative scores stem almost entirely from the big commotion over the at-release DLC.

• PukeBucketPukeBucket Member Posts: 867

BioWare isn't BioWare anymore. It's EA/Bioware.

The taste changed, and if you want to call that taste soulless I'd not really argue.

I used to play MMOs like you, but then I took an arrow to the knee.