Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Salem: Crime & Punishment

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129

The Salem team has released a new developer diary that details the way crime and punishment will be handled in the permadeath game from Paradox Interactive.

The idea is that towns create "authority items" that give clues to the town's ranger when a crime has been committed. These 'scents' allow the town ranger to track the individual perpetrating the crime and lets them deal out the appropriate punishment, usually death.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• DenambrenDenambren Member UncommonPosts: 399

The bobblehead look to your character and Voodoo 1 graphics make me afraid that this game is just a big scam. Seems like zero effort was put into the polish.

That kind of lack of effort screams "short-lived expectations", cashing in on the small dev time investment.

• OzmodanOzmodan Member EpicPosts: 9,726

These kids making this game are just lost.  I just do not see this game attracting anyone, but a few players who are looking for something very different.  

• BiorBior Member Posts: 30

Originally posted by Denambren

The bobblehead look to your character and Voodoo 1 graphics make me afraid that this game is just a big scam. Seems like zero effort was put into the polish.

That kind of lack of effort screams "short-lived expectations", cashing in on the small dev time investment.

The days when interesting new ideas could get enough funding to polish a game died when WoW released.

You people scream for something new and when you get it (this MMO looks pretty great and they already have experience making this type of game) you scream that its not enough like WoW or not polished enough.

This is why I hate MMOs now.

• NephaeriusNephaerius Member UncommonPosts: 1,671

To the posters above it's not like these guys have never made a game before.  They may not be the most experienced people in the world, but this isn't their first rodeo either.  By the same token Paradox Interactive has a decent reputation as a studio.  While they may not be a studio widely known to MMO players Paradox brought you Mount and Blade, Majesty, Magicka, etc. and those are only recent titles.  Here's a link to the studio's over 100 titles either already released or currently in development. 

http://www.paradoxplaza.com/games

@Denambren - The game is about game play not graphics.  It's an actual player run sandbox.  It's not lack of effort it's an art style and also means that the game can be played on a wide range of PC's.  If they were hoping to "cash in" they probably wouldn't make an MMO focused on features like crafting and include permadeath. 

Steam: Neph

• CrazylikeCrazylike Member CommonPosts: 89

Everything I have seen from this game is amazing and I cant wait to play it. Just because it doesnt look and play like WoW doesnt mean its a bad MMO, more likely the other way around.

• urthal22urthal22 Member UncommonPosts: 108

This seems great. I cant wait for it.

Guild Wars 2

Game of thrones Sandbox pvp MMO

Salem.

Seems like they are all breaking the molds people have come to get stuck in.

I will be playing those 3 releases with much Excitement

• shavashava Member UncommonPosts: 324
    Since I live in Salem, I got Salem Patch to do a story on this game. They don't get games, and they were amusingly baffled.
  • DakeruDakeru Member EpicPosts: 3,802

I'm worried about the death and punishment system. The system is based on logic - but you can't rely on that. Plenty of people will make accounts just for griefing.

Harbinger of Fools
  • CeridithCeridith Member UncommonPosts: 2,980

Originally posted by Dakeru

I'm worried about the death and punishment system. The system is based on logic - but you can't rely on that. Plenty of people will make accounts just for griefing.

If Haven and Hearth is any indication... the system will be very spotty in it's effectiveness. H&H is basically the same game in concept and mechanics made by the same developers, but 2D. It's a fun game, but it's also very easy for bands of roaving gank squads to steal from and kill players who are more interested in the building and production aspect of the game.... so it can also become very frustrating very quickly.

• TimacekTimacek Member UncommonPosts: 182

Originally posted by Crazylike

Everything I have seen from this game is amazing and I cant wait to play it. Just because it doesnt look and play like WoW doesnt mean its a bad MMO, more likely the other way around.

• OzmodanOzmodan Member EpicPosts: 9,726

Originally posted by Nephaerius

To the posters above it's not like these guys have never made a game before.  They may not be the most experienced people in the world, but this isn't their first rodeo either.  By the same token Paradox Interactive has a decent reputation as a studio.  While they may not be a studio widely known to MMO players Paradox brought you Mount and Blade, Majesty, Magicka, etc. and those are only recent titles.  Here's a link to the studio's over 100 titles either already released or currently in development. 

http://www.paradoxplaza.com/games

@Denambren - The game is about game play not graphics.  It's an actual player run sandbox.  It's not lack of effort it's an art style and also means that the game can be played on a wide range of PC's.  If they were hoping to "cash in" they probably wouldn't make an MMO focused on features like crafting and include permadeath. 

That is the point, the game play.  The gameplay mechanics they have published just do not make any sense when you consider human nature and how the game playing public reacts to them.

The roleplayers and builders will be gone within a month or two.  Once they are gone you have very few groups who will stick around long.

Makes no difference they have published games before, they are acting completely clueless with this game design.

• gekkothegreygekkothegrey Member Posts: 236

Originally posted by Denambren

Dude your super wrong on this these guys made hnh. This game is going to be the poo for sandbox mmo lovers. That is until eq next comes out hope hope :)