Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

So much for that - Skirmish Soldier on Landscape is 100 points an hour

trancejeremytrancejeremy Member UncommonPosts: 1,222

I was really looking forward to that, but not at that price...

R.I.P. City of Heroes and my 17 characters there

Comments

• ShaunJ1380ShaunJ1380 Member Posts: 77

I think if you had the TP to burn ,and didn't have anyone around to help you solo something that was kicking your buns, that it isn't too shabby of an idea.

Personally, I'll never use it.

• scabbedangelscabbedangel Member UncommonPosts: 117

Another interesting feature warped and twisted, bent over, and ready to be violated by the all-powerful "Cash shop".

Dammit.

• TypososTyposos Member UncommonPosts: 39

you use some medalions or something like that , and if u havent , u can use turbine points ...

• BereKinBereKin Member Posts: 287

Originally posted by scabbedangel

Another interesting feature warped and twisted, bent over, and ready to be violated by the all-powerful "Cash shop".

Dammit.

Thats way I play less and less lotro. By my opinion they are destroying this game with all kind of restrictions and cash shop.

• WhiteLanternWhiteLantern Member RarePosts: 3,309

Damn optional features. How dare they add something that might entice people to spend a little money.

I want a mmorpg where people have gone through misery, have gone through school stuff and actually have had sex even. -sagil

• CeridithCeridith Member UncommonPosts: 2,980

Originally posted by WhiteLantern

Damn optional features. How dare they add something that might entice people to spend a little money.

Damn gamers. How dare they want to pay a set fee for a game and not be constantly harassed by cash shop advertisements on loading screens.

• RobsolfRobsolf Member RarePosts: 4,607

Originally posted by Typosos

you use some medalions or something like that , and if u havent , u can use turbine points ...

Wish they included a link to this...

Medallions... I'm guessing you use the same medallions that you earn in skirmishes, maybe?  So basically you have to do skirmishes from time to time to get the medallions you need to pull them out into the open world.

Not too fond of this, but I suppose there has to be SOME cost for having them out, or everyone would just use them all the time.

• JeroKaneJeroKane Member EpicPosts: 6,965

Originally posted by Nimar

Originally posted by scabbedangel

Dammit.

Thats way I play less and less lotro. By my opinion they are destroying this game with all kind of restrictions and cash shop.

That's why I gave up on LOTRO end last year after the Isengard expac fiasco!  The whole game is completely store focussed now. The amount of spam mail I am getting from Turbine regarding Store sales is reflecting that all too well. /Facepalm

• tawesstawess Member EpicPosts: 4,227

easy solution... pay your monthly fee and go on your merry way.. no need to mess around wiith the cash shop to much...

Because you know nothing in life is free.

This have been a good conversation

• Flaming_MMOFlaming_MMO Member Posts: 137

Originally posted by tawess

easy solution... pay your monthly fee and go on your merry way.. no need to mess around wiith the cash shop to much...

Paying the monthly fee still does not get you the Skirmish Soldier on the landscape feature.   At this point, Im calling it quits with LoTRO and skipping the monthly fee, and just going on my merry way.

• RobsolfRobsolf Member RarePosts: 4,607

Originally posted by Flaming_MMO

Paying the monthly fee still does not get you the Skirmish Soldier on the landscape feature.   At this point, Im calling it quits with LoTRO and skipping the monthly fee, and just going on my merry way.

You apparently continue to miss the bit where you can use skirmish points to buy the tokens to bring them out into the open world.  In other words, You spend the stuff you make while USING them in the skirmishes to be able to use them OUTSIDE the skirmishes.  You DO NOT have to use TP.

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,002

Originally posted by Robsolf

You apparently continue to miss the bit where you can use skirmish points to buy the tokens to bring them out into the open world.  In other words, You spend the stuff you make while USING them in the skirmishes to be able to use them OUTSIDE the skirmishes.  You DO NOT have to use TP.

ok cool, good to know. Thanks!

Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • kostoslavkostoslav Member UncommonPosts: 455
    It would be better if they add an option to have them permanently for like a 1000TP
  • CujoSWAoACujoSWAoA Member UncommonPosts: 1,781

FRODO PAID 100 TURBINE POINTS TO HAVE ARAGORN AROUND TEW!

How LORD OF THE RINGSY!

Its iconic and ringsy!

• warmaster670warmaster670 Member Posts: 1,384

Originally posted by CujoSWAoA

FRODO PAID 100 TURBINE POINTS TO HAVE ARAGORN AROUND TEW!

How LORD OF THE RINGSY!

Its iconic and ringsy!

someone clearly has no clue what hes talking about, nice try though.

Apparently stating the truth in my sig is "trolling"
    Sig typo fixed thanks to an observant stragen001.

• warmaster670warmaster670 Member Posts: 1,384

Originally posted by Ceridith

Damn gamers. How dare they want to pay a set fee for a game and not be constantly harassed by cash shop advertisements on loading screens.

then maybe they should, oh i dont know, not play a game with microtransactions, shocking i know that gamers might actually have to use their brains when choosing what games to play.

Apparently stating the truth in my sig is "trolling"
    Sig typo fixed thanks to an observant stragen001.

• Flaming_MMOFlaming_MMO Member Posts: 137

Originally posted by Robsolf

No, I am aware as I saw that posted a few days ago, and as someone mentions, the cost is absurd (in the amount of marks and medallions)  I am a casual solo player, so the alternative to TP is not viable either.  The non-greedy thing to do would be just to charge in game currency like Everquest and Everquest 2 do for their mercenary system.   Maybe around 10 silver every 30 minutes starting at the level they are obtained, and that price would increase to 100 silver at level cap

• kevjardskevjards Member UncommonPosts: 1,452

Originally posted by kostoslav

It would be better if they add an option to have them permanently for like a 1000TP

i,m sure if it does'nt take off..they will do something like that.personally i dont have a problem with this..the only ones that seem to have a problem are the freebies..guess i,m lucky being a lifer..but i have to say i dont remember anywhere in the game that you require skirm soldier..if you are in a kin i,m sure they would help you down a mob you are having trouble with.

And has for it being more store focussed i,m sure GW2 and TSW are going to be the same.i have about 8k TP from monthly allowance.hardly ever touch the store.that is the way all mmo's are going..not to mention lotro has about the best f2p model on the market atm.

• starwarsnutstarwarsnut Member UncommonPosts: 230

hey in swtor all you have to do is get up in the 20's to get your skirmish soldeir i mean companion lolz. That 100 points an hour is lolz in itself i didnt know that hahaha. I said it first i knew that lotro would put the skirmish soldiers like that b/c of tor the 100 tp points though is another slap in the face and another reason on the long liiiiiiiist not to go back to middle earth sigh.........................

• CeridithCeridith Member UncommonPosts: 2,980

Originally posted by warmaster670

Originally posted by Ceridith

then maybe they should, oh i dont know, not play a game with microtransactions, shocking i know that gamers might actually have to use their brains when choosing what games to play.

Fantastic nugget of wisdom you have there...

if it weren't for the fact that the game use to be P2P with no cash shop, and then Turbine decided to force the freemium cashshop into the game and over all players. There's a lot of people who started to play this game prior to it going "F2P"... I guess they should just quit the game if they don't like it. Welp, I message received, I did quit and stayed away due to the game gonig F2P.

• avalon1000avalon1000 Member UncommonPosts: 791

It's really not that big of deal. You won't use your skirmish soldier much in the field anyways. So far I have seen zero skirmish soldiers in the field. You can use marks and medallions to summon them so no big deal.

• miramira2miramira2 Member UncommonPosts: 76

All MMOs are not going this way and Turbine's model is now probably one of the worst on the market.   It most closely mirrors that of Frogsters and PWI.  Oddly enough SoE and NCSoft have the best Freemium models on the market right now because if you subscribe you get full access to the game and its features.

Just that fact that you have to pay cash in EQ2 to be able to use the legendary items you get as drops is a dealbreaker for me. I tried going back to EQ2 because a used to love the game, but the Soe version of cashshop is absolutely horrible.

I think that the Turbine model used in Lotro and DDO is really good, at least it has been up til this point. I really don't understand all the whining about having to "spend money" when playing a game; they have to make money to sustain the game, and as long as 'cash-shop-stuff' are optional and not required to play, or if you're charged for expansions and new questpacks,   I am perfectly fine with it.

think it is a good idea to make soldier-use expensive so that people won't use them at all times - if people did it would completely change the game and make it necessary to rebalance the damage of all mobs. If soldier-use is something you only use occationally to help with a particularly tough quest (or a similar situation), then it won't unbalance the game as much.

I went back to Lotro a couple of months ago and I love it - cashshop and all :)

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,002

Originally posted by Torvaldr

All MMOs are not going this way and Turbine's model is now probably one of the worst on the market.   It most closely mirrors that of Frogsters and PWI.  Oddly enough SoE and NCSoft have the best Freemium models on the market right now because if you subscribe you get full access to the game and its features.

well, wait a minute that's not any different from Turbine. If you subscribe you get full access to the game and its' features. Don't forget you do get Turbine pionts each month for your subscription so that can be spent on these soldiers.

I think they are assuming that one is going to be doing many skirmishes to earn extra marks. As someone else mentioned, most likely this is for "speical ocassions" and not really meant to be used all the time . I still think it's a hefty price and will most likely never use it.

Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • itchmonitchmon Member RarePosts: 1,999

in my opinion, they can dork around with cash shop items as much as their greedy lil hearts desire, **as long as paying the monthly subs fee gets you around it all**.

the idea of free/mium IMHO, in other words, is to let the player try the game at their own pace and then act as a doorway to  being a paid subber.

i do not like one bit the idea of the paying subscriber having to pay for integral part of the game.  the only thing paying subscriber shoujld have to shell out for is something like a server or name change.

RIP Ribbitribbitt you are missed, kid.

Currently Playing EVE, ESO

Every gun that is made, every warship launched, every rocket fired signifies, in the final sense, a theft from those who hunger and are not fed, those who are cold and not clothed.

Dwight D Eisenhower

My optimism wears heavy boots and is loud.

Henry Rollins

• elockeelocke Member UncommonPosts: 4,335

As stupid as this cost is and how I will probably never use the feature, just too used to soloing or grouping anyway, this isn't a game breaker, people.  Sheesh.  Even the stupid cost of the wallet upgrade isn't gamebreaking.  I'm not using my TP on that either unless it goes on sale.  Basically, I just save my TP for expansions.  It's worked out well so far and the game is still fun to play.  The core game hasn't changed from what I can tell.  I still do today what I did 3 years ago.  Quest, deeds, dungeons, crafting, exploring.