Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Game of Thrones: GDC 2012: Game of Thrones Goes Sandbox Warfare

Comments

• unclemounclemo Member UncommonPosts: 462

Originally posted by Netspook

"BigPoint is publishing the browser based game..."

No more info necessary.

/moving on

I have to agree.

• JackyD30JackyD30 Member Posts: 20

Originally posted by Aermord

Its the same old story, you speak of the graphics and go all excited over players being able to switch sides and capture castles and keeps as if it's something 'new' or special. You speak of George R.R. Martin being involved in the project as a good thing. Trust me, it's not. He knows nothing about MMORPGs or games for that matter, just look at the Game of Thrones RTS that was released, he admitted as much on his website. Will HBO know? Or Bigpoint for that matter? - I think not.

There is a huge potential in Martin's story to make something truly big and different in a massive multiplayer online roleplaying game, but it will have to involve the word that seems to have been forgotten and watered down across the genre for years now - ROLEPLAYING!

In the books it's not the fighting thats important, it's the talking, the interaction between characters. In other words it is the game OF thrones where the characters use ALL means. It will be sickening to see when they implement quests in a game like this: "Go into the forest and kill ten wolves, kill 10 bandits, gather 15 logs of wood.. ooh how it will capture the spirit of the book and the show! It will be the same stupid stuff you see in -every other MMORPG- out there.

And the politics system? If you already went down the path of traditional WoW like MMORPGs then it will only be a watered down no good system. Developers have tried it before and failed every single time.

If they really want to capture the spirits of the book they should go down another path, but it's a path nobody dares to go because its untested waters. And why should they try to make something good (*cough* with permadeath *cough*) if you can stick with the old WoW model and be sure that the horde of zombies who wander around thinking that a MMORPG is only variations of that theme. It's not a theme park, you'll say. It's a sandbox! It doesnt matter, if the focus is on PVP on the battleground, guilds taking keeps and castles and if all the intrigue of the books and a good environment for -real- roleplay is forgotten, then it will still be the same old story.

Where are the people with true ambitions these days?

Where are the reviewers who wont swoon whenever they hear the words 'PVP', 'sandbox' and 'good graphics'?

And in a browser? Oooh.. We should be soo excited that it's in a browser? Sorry, I'll have to shake my head at that one, sit down and cry, and pray for a better world.

They are playing EVE

• ZairuZairu Member Posts: 469

Originally posted by Distopia

Originally posted by RefMinor

Well whining about it won't change the platform or the developer, I like the sound of it and will wait to see the implementation before I judge it.

Yep, I care about games, not names, and I love sandboxes, how often do we see one in development by anything other than small indies? Definitely keeping an eye on this one, could be pleasently surprised, regardless of platform.

+2

• karmathkarmath Member UncommonPosts: 904

Meh another great IP with massive potential gets flushed down the shitter.

• tom_goretom_gore Member UncommonPosts: 2,001

Originally posted by X-Porter

When you play the Game of Thrones, you Pay-to-Win or you die; there is no middle ground.

Lol :D

• djmtottdjmtott Member Posts: 177

Originally posted by unclemo

Originally posted by Netspook

"BigPoint is publishing the browser based game..."

No more info necessary.

/moving on

I have to agree.

Thirded

• Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441

Originally posted by Czanrei

Bigpoint = bad

Sandbox = good

Browser-based= bad

2/3 bad = bad

Maybe someday browser-based games will be commonplace, but today's technology is not up to par. While a fan of the novel series, I am not looking forward to this IP.

Agreed. First they start making Shadowrun browser based and now this. :(

These great books deserves a real MMO, not a browser based one.

• DignaDigna Member UncommonPosts: 1,994

Sandbox, skill based, whatever. Swing an Axe get a point in AX skill. Browser based is less than a highlight to me. I immediately figure they are going to focus on tablets, smart phone and the impending WIN8.

I was concerned about the 'plenty to do...killing bears, wolves etc'. Time will tell. We'll wait and see.

• BanquettoBanquetto Member UncommonPosts: 1,037

Originally posted by umcorian
    Pay to winter is coming.
    I don't know how much it cost you to post that post, but you just won the thread.
  • ClassicstarClassicstar Member UncommonPosts: 2,697

This game will be made for tablet market.

And im affair more and more publisher going this way browser tablet win8 smartphones.

I somehow have the feeling PC is near its end i think even consoles are threadtend by this new era of tablets and phones android/win8(mainly tablet/smartphones based) games.

I give it 3 years and PC desktop gaming is dead.

Hope to build full AMD system RYZEN/VEGA/AM4!!!

MB:Asus V De Luxe z77
    CPU:Intell Icore7 3770k
    GPU: AMD Fury X(waiting for BIG VEGA 10 or 11 HBM2?(bit unclear now))
    MEMORY:Corsair PLAT.DDR3 1866MHZ 16GB
    PSU:Corsair AX1200i

• BeowulfsamBeowulfsam Member UncommonPosts: 145

Originally posted by forest-nl

And im affair more and more publisher going this way browser tablet win8 smartphones.

I somehow have the feeling PC is near its end i think even consoles are threadtend by this new era of tablets and phones android/win8(mainly tablet/smartphones based) games.

Ahaha yeah and before the consoles would kill the PC.

Lulz of the day awards for you sir (even tho it's only 13:29 atm here)

• GrinnzGrinnz Member UncommonPosts: 312

http://www.forbes.com/sites/johngaudiosi/2012/03/06/gdc-2012-pc-games-raked-in-18-6-billion-in-2011/

PC games will always be king.

New Phones and Tablets will have their niche, but PC games will always have an edge.

• ProfRedProfRed Member UncommonPosts: 3,494

How on earth can we help educate the people behind some of these amazing ip's to do their fricken job and a little market research.  I bet BP had one hell of a powerpoint pitch.  I mean it just baffles me.  DO SOME MARKET RESEARCH PEOPLE.

• AcmegamerAcmegamer Member UncommonPosts: 337

Originally posted by Loke666

Originally posted by Czanrei

Bigpoint = bad

Sandbox = good

Browser-based= bad

2/3 bad = bad

Maybe someday browser-based games will be commonplace, but today's technology is not up to par. While a fan of the novel series, I am not looking forward to this IP.

Agreed. First they start making Shadowrun browser based and now this. :(

These great books deserves a real MMO, not a browser based one.

What ever did happen to that ShadorRun browser based mmo-rpg? It tank? 

• RefMinorRefMinor Member UncommonPosts: 3,452
    Originally posted by Alphamojo

http://www.forbes.com/sites/johngaudiosi/2012/03/06/gdc-2012-pc-games-raked-in-18-6-billion-in-2011/

PC games will always be king.

New Phones and Tablets will have their niche, but PC games will always have an edge.

I think PC and console will remain and have their places but tablets are evolving into a viable 3rd medium.
  • BillMurphyBillMurphy Former Managing EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 4,565

Just chiming in to say that Garrett doesn't get excited about every game very easily, and he's just as skeptical of browser games... but he called me after his appointment and pretty much squealed like a fanboy for an hour about how great this looked and how much ArtPlant (the devs) "get it".  

I'd be cautiously optimistic honestly.

Try to be excellent to everyone you meet. You never know what someone else has seen or endured.

My Review Manifesto
    Follow me on Twitter if you dare.

• NightfyreNightfyre Member UncommonPosts: 205

The picture looks good for a browser game; so i'm unsure till more pictures are released.  Maybe browser is going to be the next "thing,"... maybe not.  

Bigpoint (not the developers though?)- Can't say much on them they have 2 games that have some popularity with Battlestar (which i didn't care for myself) and DrakenSang (not sure on this one); so I can't say much for the company yet, but for a big name series like this I'd want a high profile company doing it.  

Don't care about Sandbox or themepark games, they are hit and miss to everyone.    People are going to complain about them because they have an idea of how they are all; yet some are better then others.  So I'll wait till more information till I can speculate more, then find out through gameplay or people's confessions.

• BanquettoBanquetto Member UncommonPosts: 1,037

Originally posted by BillMurphy
    It'll be a cold day in hell before I'm ever optimistic about anything BigPoint touch.
  • ProfRedProfRed Member UncommonPosts: 3,494

Mmm after researching more this could be pretty cool.  I am down with the advancement of browser based games if they look this good.  I do wonder about performance/instancing/number of players/etc. but it isn't enough to make me write the game off.

My biggest concern is the cash shop setup, but I will try to keep an open mind.  It is sandboxey after all.

Check this out (from massively article):

Can't buy me win

Refreshingly, when asked whether owning the biggest wallet would be akin to an instant win button, the Bigpoint reps said no. In fact, they emphasized that skill gained through gameplay would basically always beat financing. Jorgen said, "A skilled player will always beat a paying player, even though he is many levels below. [...] We want to really emphasize that all the items in the game can be gained through gameplay." He further stated that some items and skills will be looted-only or available only in game and never available for purchase.

• JeauseoffJeauseoff Member Posts: 36

Just cause it's only going to launch with 3 developed factions, doesn't mean that those will be the only ones in the game EVER...  (think 'Expansion Packs' people!)

I'm also imagining that since perma-death in a game is a cardinal sin, (despite it being completely appropriate to the setting,) everyone plays as Baeric Dondarrion right?  Or do all players get to buy their own Thoros or Melissandre from the cash shop?  LOL.

More likely than not, it will hardly be recognizable as the IP it's based on, and thus I won't have any problem checking it out since it will only be a farce of the IP.

• ozmonoozmono Member UncommonPosts: 1,211

Disappointing article. I have already read FAR more detailed descriptions of how the politics and game in general is supposed to work than what is written in this article.

As for the game I'll be following it.

• RefMinorRefMinor Member UncommonPosts: 3,452
    Originally posted by ozmono

Disappointing article. I have already read FAR more detailed descriptions of how the politics and game in general is supposed to work than what is written in this article.

As for the game I'll be following it.

Got any links?
  • OzmodanOzmodan Member EpicPosts: 9,726

Originally posted by BillMurphy

Just chiming in to say that Garrett doesn't get excited about every game very easily, and he's just as skeptical of browser games... but he called me after his appointment and pretty much squealed like a fanboy for an hour about how great this looked and how much ArtPlant (the devs) "get it".  

Wait a minute, it is a f2p pvp game.  Now if the devs get it there won't be anything in the item shop that effects pvp, oh wait, it is Bigpoint...that will never happen.  This game has pay-to-win written all over it.  How can anyone be optimistic with that scenario?

I'd love to see a decent sandbox game make it, but it is all about the bigger wallet in pay-to-win games.  So unless something earth shattering happens, like Bigpoint making the item shop strictly fluff, don't have much hope for this game.

• DeeweDeewe Member UncommonPosts: 1,980

Looks interesting. Thanks for the highlight guys