Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Best games right now?

raystantzraystantz Final Fantasy XI CorrespondentMember UncommonPosts: 1,237

I was playing SWTOR.. but, I just can't seem to dig into it.

I think its the "fantasy" part of me that loves the swords and sorcery of MMO's.

I have been out of the loop for a while. I only bought swtor on a whim from some friends who promised we'd play together (we didn't).

I'm looking for something to take me out of reality for a few hours here and there. Not looking to get super sucked into a game, but do want to "build" a character in an alternate reality. 

I think not playing one has sort of stressed me because for me it was like "TV" or my relaxing thing I did to wind down every night. 

I enjoy PVP, but rich lore and epic adventures is what I seek.

www.facebook.com/themarksmovierules

Currently playing:

FFXIV on Behemoth, FFXI on Eden, and Gloria Victis on NA. 

Comments

• KholeKhole Member CommonPosts: 136

Everquest is going f2p on 16March. Worth checking out.

Norrath is a world waiting to be explored.

• KryptyKrypty Member UncommonPosts: 454

While not a MMO, Mass Effect is always fun. Some people apparently hate 3, but I think thats being overblown (I'm not that far into it, but I like it).

Besides that, if you dont wanna do WoW again, Rift is actually a great game. Unfortunately, the MMO market is pretty weak at the moment - just a waiting game for GW2 and D3 at this point it seems.

Edit - But again, if you actually enjoy single player, right now is a GREAT time. Skyrim, Kingdoms of Amalur, Witcher 2, and Mass Effect 3 all pretty recent and all pretty good (the Skyrim mods are starting to REALLY develop now).

• TheDarkrayneTheDarkrayne Member EpicPosts: 5,297

I'd say Rift is the best direction to head in at the moment

I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.
  • drbaltazardrbaltazar Member UncommonPosts: 7,856

best game population wise or quality wise!cause population wise that is affordable ?lineage 2!

• raystantzraystantz Final Fantasy XI CorrespondentMember UncommonPosts: 1,237

I've been debating rift.. but wanted to make sure there were no other decent choices.

Currently playing:

• GorillaGorilla Member UncommonPosts: 2,235

Rift, Lotro, even AoC all are plausible.

• Larry145Larry145 Member Posts: 8

Not looking to get super sucked into a game.

• LeucentLeucent Member Posts: 2,371

EQ2 without a doubt. Rift was IMO too easy leveling. If you re into that type a thing cool then, I guess Rift. EQ2 could last you years, with all the content, and is just a good game all around.

• dauntSilverdauntSilver Member Posts: 146

Looking for a great fun game with nice graphics? Perhaps one that is not too hard nor too easy? Great innovative PvP and party/guild oriented quests? And how about a large healthy community with occasional community events? A F2P system that does not force a player to spend money / isnt pay to win?

Well look no further, my friend!

Such a game dont freakin' exist! :cD

• ReehayReehay Member Posts: 172

I think you and i are almost exact MMO personalities... so im gonna add my experience.

played EQ1 for 5 years and loved it despite all its flaws.. then WoW until recently when i realized its no more than a lobby co-op game based around queueing for content - NOTHING massive about it. feels like DDO (snore). all instances. its also 99% ridiculously easy with maybe 4 fights being challenging.

went looking for games and right now i'm really happy with DC Universe Online... shockingly good for FTP and i decided to subscribe. but i too am a "fantasy hearted" gamer, and i long for epic exploration with swords and spells. i tried EQ2 FTP but its SEVERELY limited and while there is a huge world, its mostly solo content now and i still really hate the animations hehe. unfortunately its a dying beast. tried RIFT but its just... lacking... gave me a "meh" feeling.

so for my fantasy fix im just playing Skyrim and Dark Messiah Might and Magic while i wait to try TERA open beta and GW2. also waiting on TSO and Archeage. but if those games dont thrill me i will be happy with DCUO. its really a gem of a game. huge world, combat is thrilling. awesome character creation and development. awesome RP value and storylines. solo, group and raid friendly... TONS of World PVP. TONS of content for free as well... definitely enough to see if you want to subscribe.  in fact some of my guild have been FTP for like 8 months. took me about 1 month to know i loved it enough to pay.  many active Leagues (guilds). raids are really fun but i also just love exploring the cities, doing Investigations, collecting exobites, helping kill world bosses, and pvp'ing against Villians.

if you decide to try DCUO... look me up on the PVP server. my name is Outerdark, im a hero. definitely go Hero!

• ReehayReehay Member Posts: 172

Originally posted by dauntSilver

Looking for a great fun game with nice graphics? Perhaps one that is not too hard nor too easy? Great innovative PvP and party/guild oriented quests? And how about a large healthy community with occasional community events? A F2P system that does not force a player to spend money / isnt pay to win?

hehe ya... but ya know what.. i think the game that actually comes closest to what you describe is.... DC Universe Online. seriously.

i'm loving it and i cant believe how much is offered for free. graphics and animations are superb... the combat is freaking endless fun and challenging to do right. it has a nice blend of novice content and challenging high end raid's. also a huge open world with open world pvp and pve bosses. the community is very healthy in size.  players are everywhere at all times of the day, and getting duo and alert and raid groups is really easy and fast. and the community is definitely one of the nicest and fun ive ever been around. i defy anyone to fit DCUO into their sterotyped FTP = horrible community/game beliefs.  innovative or next gen? no, but i think it does pretty much everything well, especially the combat which is easily the best in a MMO ive ever played. it's biggest flaw is its PC interface UI which was designed for console controller on PS3.  kinda clunky but i quickly got over it.

i really am a jaded SOE hater.. but i just cant deny how good DC Universe Online is.

I'm giving MO a try currently.

Currently playing:

• KanylKanyl Member UncommonPosts: 252

Everquest 2, hands down!

• dauntSilverdauntSilver Member Posts: 146

Originally posted by Reehay

hehe ya... but ya know what.. i think the game that actually comes closest to what you describe is.... DC Universe Online. seriously.

i'm loving it and i cant believe how much is offered for free. graphics and animations are superb... the combat is freaking endless fun and challenging to do right. it has a nice blend of novice content and challenging high end raid's. also a huge open world with open world pvp and pve bosses. the community is very healthy in size.  players are everywhere at all times of the day, and getting duo and alert and raid groups is really easy and fast. and the community is definitely one of the nicest and fun ive ever been around. i defy anyone to fit DCUO into their sterotyped FTP = horrible community/game beliefs.  innovative or next gen? no, but i think it does pretty much everything well, especially the combat which is easily the best in a MMO ive ever played. it's biggest flaw is its PC interface UI which was designed for console controller on PS3.  kinda clunky but i quickly got over it.

i really am a jaded SOE hater.. but i just cant deny how good DC Universe Online is.

I love SOE games, man. I just hate the dark side (the business side) of SOE. I'm personally back to playing EQ1 again in anticipation of the March 16 F2P conversion. And I'm sure DCUO is great, but I'm not a big fan of the super-hero franchise.

But anyway, the best game I have ever played was EQ1 (early 2000's). Nowadays, it just aint the same.. I'm using it more to fill in the gap between GW2 release. Hoping GW2 will be better than I expect. :

• Requiem6Requiem6 Member Posts: 237

Aion

• Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441

No, but there is some hopes about GW2 (it is B2P though). It might not be like that either though, wehave to wait and see.

• ShakyMoShakyMo Member CommonPosts: 7,207
    Shooter - serious Sam 3
    Mmo - wakfu
    Rpg - skyrim
    Super cheap but great Gameplay - terraria, binding of Isaac, spaz, dungeons of dredmor
    Adventure - stacking
  • ShaunJ1380ShaunJ1380 Member Posts: 77

I'm currently playing Lotro on the weekends. I'm solo questing. The lore is great. I don't know about the rest of the game, but if you just want one to level and quest, lotro is worth a try.

• Superduper69Superduper69 Member Posts: 363

Everquest 2, can not go wrong with this one.

• PsyMike3dPsyMike3d Member UncommonPosts: 388

hmm... i say Rift, if you want P2P, maybe Aion if you want F2P, unless if you can wait for GW2 or Archeage ;)

• Mythios11Mythios11 Member Posts: 129

Rift is definitely worth a shot plus you can play the first 20 levels for free.  It also has some of the best raid content if you're looking for a challenge.

• Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441

Originally posted by ShaunJ1380

I'm currently playing Lotro on the weekends. I'm solo questing. The lore is great. I don't know about the rest of the game, but if you just want one to level and quest, lotro is worth a try.

He likes PvP, that kinda disqualifies LOTRO...

• fenistilfenistil Member Posts: 3,005

Wait for GW2.

Then later on there will be ArcheAge (but that's 2013).

Before? hmm

If you like raiding and heavy gear progression games = then Rift. World is imo quite generic though.

EvE Online is not bad ,but it is VERY specific game and I am not sure if you would like it. (nothing hurts in watching some youtube videos and visiting EvE page to get known what's this game is about).

Apart of that I can't recommend anything.

Tried MO and Wakfu.

MO's combat is god awful. no thanks.

Wakfu.. not my cup of tea.

About to gift rift another go, anymore suggestions?

Currently playing:

• XstylesXstyles Member Posts: 107

Originally posted by raystantz

I was playing SWTOR.. but, I just can't seem to dig into it.

I think its the "fantasy" part of me that loves the swords and sorcery of MMO's.

I have been out of the loop for a while. I only bought swtor on a whim from some friends who promised we'd play together (we didn't).

I'm looking for something to take me out of reality for a few hours here and there. Not looking to get super sucked into a game, but do want to "build" a character in an alternate reality. 

I think not playing one has sort of stressed me because for me it was like "TV" or my relaxing thing I did to wind down every night. 

I enjoy PVP, but rich lore and epic adventures is what I seek.

Vindictus is the best game out there atm. in my opinion.

Fast action, no brainless questing like in WoW or it's copies.