Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

MechWarrior Online: New Screens Out of GDC

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129

The MechWarrior Online team has released five new screenshots during this week's Game Developer's Conference. The screens are straight out of the game and show off some nifty environments. Check them out in our MechWarrior Online gallery.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• WolfClawsWolfClaws Member UncommonPosts: 638

I would make sweet sweet love to this game every night if it turns out half as good as I hope it will.

• Mors.MagneMors.Magne Member UncommonPosts: 1,549

This is the problem - Perpetuum does a good job as an MMORPG battle robot game, but it isn't quite as good as Eve Online. Therefore, I can't see how MechWarrior Online will do any better.

The reasons are that:

1) Mechs are slow beasts compared to space ships, so you get bored with the scenery.

2) In Eve Online, you can build your own buildings in space - even when everyone is on the same server. But with Mechs, there isn't the literal 'space' to do this.

Therefore, I think MechWarrior could run into trouble.

• TruthXHurtsTruthXHurts Member UncommonPosts: 1,555

Besides using the disc ot mod the original XBOX Mechwarrior Assault never saw any time in my system. I hope that this isn't just a larger scale version of that flop.

"I am not in a server with Gankers...THEY ARE IN A SERVER WITH ME!!!"

• tawesstawess Member EpicPosts: 4,227

"This is the problem - Perpetuum does a good job as an MMORPG battle robot game, but it isn't quite as good as Eve Online. Therefore, I can't see how MechWarrior Online will do any better."

Well it si simple... It will not... It is not a MMO it is a Co-Op PvP game with character advancment... More like World of Tanks or the old traditional Mech games were you go from a lobby to a map and duke it out and then "return to the dropship"once the match is done.

So stick with Perpetuum if you like a MMO robot game.

This have been a good conversation

• phoonzangphoonzang Member UncommonPosts: 22

Yeah, the developers are going for a mech simulator feel like in MW3.  Its going to be awsome.

This whole conversation is getting weird ... Just plain weird

• TerminatusTerminatus Member Posts: 104

Originally posted by Mors.Magne

This is the problem - Perpetuum does a good job as an MMORPG battle robot game, but it isn't quite as good as Eve Online. Therefore, I can't see how MechWarrior Online will do any better.

The reasons are that:

1) Mechs are slow beasts compared to space ships, so you get bored with the scenery.

2) In Eve Online, you can build your own buildings in space - even when everyone is on the same server. But with Mechs, there isn't the literal 'space' to do this.

...why the heck are you comparing Mechwarrior to EVE and it's land-based Copy&Past??

"But... but... but... there are robots on the ground"

So are they in many factories worldwide... should u compare them to MW too?

If u want to compare, go review articles about:

Multiplayer Battletech: EGA

Multiplayer Battletech: Solaris

Multiplayer Battletech: 3025

You can also check on the many PC games on the MechWarrior brand (1 to 4) and also the Mech Commander series, it might help a bit your compairason skills.

EvE is ----------> that way :p

• EduardoASGEduardoASG Member Posts: 832

following this one with hopes.

Still rember endless nights playing MW3 on the Zone.. man.. gimme that Madcat.. NOW! :)

Aion, AoC, AC, AO, DDO, Eve, Eq2, GW, MW3, L1&2, RF, RIFT, SWG, SWTOR, TR, UO, WOW, WAR
  • ShmawShmaw Member Posts: 85

A Thor trumps a madcat anyday!  Very pumped for this, hoping the loot system is new equipment you loot from the smoking wreckage of your kills.  Gotta love salvage.

• guy232guy232 Member UncommonPosts: 350

The reasons are that:

Are you...clinically  retarted?    This is MECHWARRIOR its an  fast paced simulation game.    This is not  your mommy point-N-Click MMO.   im not even sure why the flying fuck you would compare it to Perpetuum and EVE.   my god man.    jump on google before you  make yourself look stupid like that.

Mechwarrior  is a fast paced game compared to thoes  spreadsheet.exe's.   Its like somone set off a Troll-dirty bomb. 

It..Burns..

• NewHorizonNewHorizon Member Posts: 18

lol @ Troll-drty bomb. Go MECHWARRIOR! Freakin Mechwarrior 2: Mercenaries was for real, and epic, a go salvage!

Why are we talking about Perpetuum? I thought Piranha is re-booting past titles? And secured the PI from Smith & Tinker and they are developing Mechwarrior online with IPG's help.

Rebooting Piranha Games Three years ago, during the summer 2008, we put in motion a new strategy for Piranha, one that would focus our efforts on building killer original action games. With this ultimate goal in mind, we focused on three key areas.

AND THIS: 

In the winter months of 2011 we assessed the state of MechWarrior. We came to the realization that any further work on MechWarrior would come at great risk to PGI. If we planned to take on significant risk, we needed to control the IP. After several sessions of deliberation, we decided to plunge in head first. Russ approached Smith & Tinker with regards to licensing the MechWarrior rights and within a few weeks, we signed a deal.

Jeewiz MMORPG.com's forums are terrible, and you can never type blow quotes, man, wtf. And besides, I copy pasted, why did it make it a quote, ffs.

• FadedbombFadedbomb Member Posts: 2,081

The reasons are that:

Two problems:

A) MechWarrior "Online" is NOT an MMO. Just like how "World of Tanks" is NOT an MMO. Neither should be on here, EVER.

B) See A in case you were wondering if there was a second reason?

The Theory of Conservative Conservation of Ignorant Stupidity:
    Having a different opinion must mean you're a troll.

• neorandomneorandom Member Posts: 1,681

The reasons are that:

eve is boring

battletech is fun.

eve you lock and set weapons to fire and wait for something to die, usually you since you dont have 100k hours in like the target.

battle tech you point shoot and kill, and im the one with the 100k hours of real experience shooting people from other mech games.

perpetuum was just eve lite in a new skin, mwo is a revamp of the old school battle tech games given mmo ness.

• wrightstufwrightstuf Member UncommonPosts: 659

This cant be an MMO, its not fantasy based!

for it to be a successful MMO, it will need:

Tank mech

cleric mech

mage mech

rogue mech

Hmm, wait...a rogue mech that comes out of stealth to backstab you! I'd play that!

Originally posted by wrightstuf

This cant be an MMO, its not fantasy based!

for it to be a successful MMO, it will need:

Tank mech

cleric mech

mage mech

rogue mech

Hmm, wait...a rogue mech that comes out of stealth to backstab you! I'd play that!

LOL, OMFG, NAILED IT.

Watch out you could change an entire industry built on an 8-yr old gaming model with that blaspheme.

Originally posted by neorandom

The reasons are that:

eve is boring

battletech is fun.

eve you lock and set weapons to fire and wait for something to die, usually you since you dont have 100k hours in like the target.

battle tech you point shoot and kill, and im the one with the 100k hours of real experience shooting people from other mech games.

perpetuum was just eve lite in a new skin, mwo is a revamp of the old school battle tech games given mmo ness.

My apologies, I didn't realise that with MechWarrior Online you aim and fire.

However, I can't see how you can have player-made buildings in MechWarrior, and have everyone on the same server.

Originally posted by guy232

The reasons are that:

Are you...clinically  retarted?    This is MECHWARRIOR its an  fast paced simulation game.    This is not  your mommy point-N-Click MMO.   im not even sure why the flying fuck you would compare it to Perpetuum and EVE.   my god man.    jump on google before you  make yourself look stupid like that.

Mechwarrior  is a fast paced game compared to thoes  spreadsheet.exe's.   Its like somone set off a Troll-dirty bomb. 

You can compare Eve Online to MechWarrior because both use 'modules'. For example, with MechWarrior, I think you can use different sized engines?

• TorvacTorvac Member UncommonPosts: 135

i actually wanted to cry varporware here but found this today:

• drtack1drtack1 Member UncommonPosts: 273

I played Mech warrior 4 vengeance relegiously, was angry when they moved the title to xbox, and cried when they announced they took the pc servers down.

I hope this game can bring me some of the joy I had in MW4V.

Long Live EXCALIBURS KNIGHTS!!!

[EX]-Tech9ine-

• TommiJyurroTommiJyurro Member Posts: 51

STOP COMPARING EVE AND BATTLETECH!

It's like comparing Freud versus Cheech and Chong: Just because they both did drugs doesn't mean they have anything else in common.

I love EVE, but giant robots shooting each other is like sploosh, only for a guy.  I have been waiting for a new Mechwarrior since Mercenaries, but it has never been an mmo, though I believe a Mechwarrior MMO would be a pretty good idea.  EVE and Mechwarrior are two different beasts which share a few more similarities that my example, but, they both are wildly different.

So, let the spaceship guys go play with spaceships, Mech people, strap in your mechs, and casual gamers, do whatever.  And for those of us who wish to see a Mecharrior MMO... I don't know.  Game looks great tho.

Anything new here? Hmmm... Nope. o/

• mrw0lfmrw0lf Member Posts: 2,269

Stop comparing it to any mmo, because it isn't one.

-----
    “The person who is certain, and who claims divine warrant for his certainty, belongs now to the infancy of our species.”