Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Is combat going to change in 2.0?

BetakodoBetakodo Member UncommonPosts: 333

Played this game in the beta and didn't buy it. The combat still seems to be slow turned based smacking, is that going to change? I didn't really see anything about it in the 2.0 details, but if it's not changing then I don't think I'll be getting it.

Comments

• MuruganMurugan Member Posts: 1,494

I seriously doubt it, but I don't see how you think it is slow.

How do you play?  Ever thought that maybe you are A. either really low level, or B. are playing wrong?  Combat is hardly slow with combos, and allt he abilities we have in the game now.

• DeathofsageDeathofsage Member UncommonPosts: 1,102

It's probably something you need to try to appreciate. When I'd show friends who never played XI the combat, they always said it looked slow and droll when I could watch the same combat and understand how much was going on.

But I watched XIV's Cutter's Cry preview and the combat looked slow and dull. I felt like I could take a nap in between the time that the monk swung. Then there's a moment where the monk and paladin are fighting a bat and the bat moves around them and--these two worst players ever--take what seems like forever to turn around and face the bat in its new location.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=46IwCiZ2WXQ @ around 0:40.

Spec'ing properly is a gateway drug.
    12 Million People have been meter spammed in heroics.

• Zookz1Zookz1 Member Posts: 629

Originally posted by Deathofsage

It's probably something you need to try to appreciate. When I'd show friends who never played XI the combat, they always said it looked slow and droll when I could watch the same combat and understand how much was going on.

But I watched XIV's Cutter's Cry preview and the combat looked slow and dull. I felt like I could take a nap in between the time that the monk swung. Then there's a moment where the monk and paladin are fighting a bat and the bat moves around them and--these two worst players ever--take what seems like forever to turn around and face the bat in its new location.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=46IwCiZ2WXQ @ around 0:40.

I've played both games off and on (more on) since they launched. XI's combat is far slower than XIV's. There really isn't much going on in XI; besides being tedious as fuck, it's really not very involved from a player-skill perspective.

• DeathofsageDeathofsage Member UncommonPosts: 1,102

Originally posted by Zookz1

Originally posted by Deathofsage

I've played both games off and on (more on) since they launched. XI's combat is far slower than XIV's. There really isn't much going on in XI; besides being tedious as fuck, it's really not very involved from a player-skill perspective.

I never really did DD. I was always tanking and to me, ninja tanking is the most fun, responsible-for-your-own-survival, tanking any mmo has introduced.

Nearly ever moment of fun I had during XI involved burning shihei.

Spec'ing properly is a gateway drug.
    12 Million People have been meter spammed in heroics.

• HyanmenHyanmen Member UncommonPosts: 5,357
    One thing is for certain- the current engine/server/UI is not flexible enough for any high-precision requiring gameplay. Everything is still sluggish and that's the one thing that new server/UI/engine should fix, which should also apply to the flow of combat in general. But the fact is we can't know the exact effects for sure.
    Using LOL is like saying "my argument sucks but I still want to disagree".