Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Wheel the adventure?!

QuizzicalQuizzical Member LegendaryPosts: 25,348

Who comes up with these titles, anyway?  The shorter a phrase is, the easier it is to make it not sound like broken English.  But apparently three words is too long for Netmarble to handle.

Whoever translated the stuff in-game is clearly fluent in English.  There are some inconsistencies when translating proper nouns, and some missing end of sentence punctuation, but virtually nothing that comes out as broken English.

Netmarble needs to have that person look over the titles it comes up with for month-long "events".  Because that person could tell them that "Wheel the adventure!" doesn't make a bit of sense in English.  The adventurer's wheel?  The wheel of adventure?  Wheel can be used as a verb, even if it's less common, but that doesn't make a bit of sense, either.  I get the impression that it's a failed pun.

And then look at the new treasure box:  "Lost Trident".  There you go.  Two words is apparently short enough for Netmarble to make it sound like English.  Until you read the sentences below it:  "The only power brings wind, cloud and rain has been lost.  Search for the mighty weapon of Poseidon, Trident."

So apparently Netmarble can afford to hire someone to make sure that the quest text for obscure quests that hardly anyone will ever see makes sense.  But not to look over the header on the game's web page.  Because the latter doesn't matter, as it's only the very first thing that people will see.  Login messages often aren't any better than that, either.

Sometimes even the game's advertisements have broken English.  Remember the one running on this site, "The only game compatible to EVE Online"?  That would at least make it through a spell checker, which is more than can be said for the recent 4Story ad.  But why can't the marketing department at least run their stuff by the person (or people) they hire to translate the game?  It surely wouldn't take that long, and it would give people a much better impression of the game.

Then again, if it would delay El Oriente, it's not worth it.

Comments

• rixkrixk Member Posts: 45

I think that they meant "Feel the adventure".

• PyndaPynda Member UncommonPosts: 856

UWO is my first asian mmorpg, and I do have to laugh sometimes at some of the weirdness. One of my favorites was - and I'm not sure if I'm getting this quite correct - them promoting a cash shop treasure box or something with the line "Fullfill your deepest desire!". I mean, as a westerner, the thought of anyone's deepest desire having anything to do with a game, you would think, would probably qualify them as being one very sick human being. But...

Of course another thing I've heard people discussing in the game, and I agree, is the - I don't know quite what - of the character models. Even I have to admit I'm finding myself having unnatural thoughts about some of the male and child characters. Well...pray for me lol.

But actually though, as a sandbox fan, I'm finding this a very good MMORPG. And as soon as those filthy, treacherous, and scurvy player pirates quite camping the Cape of Good Hope I'll probably continue making my second trade voyage to India tonight. And hopefully also set a new personal record profit. Maybe 3.5 million or so ducats each way on this one? We'll see. I just need to complete it without getting sunk or captured.

• QuizzicalQuizzical Member LegendaryPosts: 25,348

May I suggest that you get fishing and procurement so that you can resupply as you go, and then sail straight from London to Ambon without stopping, or whatever route you take?  That lets you swing far wide of any areas that you expect pirates to camp out, except for your endpoints.

• UristMcDwarfUristMcDwarf Member UncommonPosts: 111

Originally posted by Pynda

UWO is my first asian mmorpg, and I do have to laugh sometimes at some of the weirdness. One of my favorites was - and I'm not sure if I'm getting this quite correct - them promoting a cash shop treasure box or something with the line "Fullfill your deepest desire!". I mean, as a westerner, the thought of anyone's deepest desire having anything to do with a game, you would think, would probably qualify them as being one very sick human being. But...

Of course another thing I've heard people discussing in the game, and I agree, is the - I don't know quite what - of the character models. Even I have to admit I'm finding myself having unnatural thoughts about some of the male and child characters. Well...pray for me lol.

But actually though, as a sandbox fan, I'm finding this a very good MMORPG. And as soon as those filthy, treacherous, and scurvy player pirates quite camping the Cape of Good Hope I'll probably continue making my second trade voyage to India tonight. And hopefully also set a new personal record profit. Maybe 3.5 million or so ducats each way on this one? We'll see. I just need to complete it without getting sunk or captured.

Yes, I had a laugh at the 'deepest desire' announcement as well. It read like something you would see out of a sci-fi where the  government/cult offered poor suckers a solution to all their problems.. where instead of having their dreams come true they're instead hauled away to spice mines and working as slaves. image

Currently Playing:
    nothing :(

Hi Quizzical. Yes, I have fishing (R6) and use it to supply food on long voyages. And basically take only water along with me. Procurement I don't have - what if it doesn't rain? - but I would like it. I'm just running into lack of skill slot problems right now. And am too greedy to give anything up. But I did swing down into the 'Roaring Forties' on my first voyage around the Cape, and it did seem to work pretty well. Maybe that next slot should go to Procurement and not to Spice Trading or Jewelry Trading as I've been thinking? But these slots are only coming once every 9 levels now ): . And the choices are tough.

BTW - could I ask you a question I haven't been able to find the answer to? If a skill has a prereq skill requirement, will an item boost to that skill count towards meeting the req? I'm having a devil of a time leveling Art Trading to R3 for Jewelry Trading right now (at which point I hope to dump Art). And at level 34 trade I just don't think I can draw an advanced job quest. To get Jewelry to open up that way.

Edit: Note that right now the range in my Trade Xebec is 21 days. Or 15 days in equatorial climates. But again, this is just plain greed. If I didn't carry so much cargo (550 or so) I could extend this range.

Bonuses from gear and aides counts toward letting you acquire a quest, but not toward letting you acquire a skill.  Pulling the jeweller job requires rank 5 jewellery trading, so that's not a way to get jewellery trading in the first place.  However, if you can get someone else to pull the job quest for you and share it with you, then you can do the quest even though you can't pull it yourself.  And then once you have the jeweller job, you can use it to get jewellery trading, as you can acquire a favored or expert skill for your current job from any noble, and without having to meet the normal requirements for it.

So how do you get someone to pull the jeweller job for you?  Show up in Calicut with a big stack of QMPs, give them to someone who theoretically can pull it, and let him try.  It's nice if it's a friend or guildie or some such, so that you can trust him not to just take your QMPs and run away.

Thanks for the information!

So I see that adds running on this site still use the "wheel the adventure" line.  That promotion, of course, is long since over.  Its month-long successor, the Tender King/Tender Queen line, is also over.  Now they're on "Project Seaway".  Not that the words in the promotional title mean anything.  But apparently the marketing department isn't aware of this.

And "wheel the adventure" never made a bit of sense in the first place.