Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

MechWarrior Online - Oldschool PC gamers should be gushing

13»

Comments

• spitfire1064spitfire1064 Member Posts: 61

DEATH FROM ABOVE!!!!!!

• neorandomneorandom Member Posts: 1,681

GDC footage

*GUSH/SPLOOSH/MECHGASM*

• BigdavoBigdavo Member UncommonPosts: 1,863

If they base their free to play model on League of Legends, with all cash shop items being cosmetic or boosts that do not affect combat that would be great. Hopefully just cosmetc, but that would be too much to hope for.

I'm assuming this game is gonna be kinda like World of Tanks but hopefully without crap like premium ammo.

I've signed up on their forums (reserved my pilot name). Definitely high on my radar, potential for this title is massive. Their forums are abuzz, I had no idea how popular Battletech was/is.

O_o o_O

• Mopar63Mopar63 Member UncommonPosts: 300

Mechwarrior is an old, rich and respected IP that really does fit the play styles brough out by MMOs. If they stay true to the games heart this will be amazing and a pure geek fest. I am even looking right now at a $100 joystick just for playing this game.

• seagonseagon Member Posts: 15

The game might not be in the Clan invasion timeline, but it will get there.

I think there is a reason (as i believe the dev's posted as well) that it hangs in 2049 now.

First we will get some quality time with Inner Sphere tech, followed by the invasion and availability of clan tech.

Also, if i understood correctly, the MMO side of things will be an overall status on what faction owns what region etc. As i don't think there will be much to do when you're sitting around traveling between worlds aside from hanging in the mechlab, so why add being able to walk around?

Also, if you're constantly down in the field waiting for the enemy to attack will only leave options for going away from keyboard and getting shot up by surprise :p

For now, i can't wait to see what Piranha will do and how they will do it... All i know, is that i have my Saitek X65-F ready and i'm itching for the start of the beta.

You are free, to do as we tell you.

• MaughannMaughann Member Posts: 139
    Originally posted by seagon

I think there is a reason (as i believe the dev's posted as well) that it hangs in 2049 now.

First we will get some quality time with Inner Sphere tech, followed by the invasion and availability of clan tech.

Also, if i understood correctly, the MMO side of things will be an overall status on what faction owns what region etc. As i don't think there will be much to do when you're sitting around traveling between worlds aside from hanging in the mechlab, so why add being able to walk around?

Also, if you're constantly down in the field waiting for the enemy to attack will only leave options for going away from keyboard and getting shot up by surprise :p

For now, i can't wait to see what Piranha will do and how they will do it... All i know, is that i have my Saitek X65-F ready and i'm itching for the start of the beta.

It's set in 3049...isn't that the Clan invasion period?

I'd love to fight the Twycross campaign alongside Allard-Liao

• BigHatLoganBigHatLogan Member Posts: 688
    Originally posted by Maughann
    Originally posted by seagon

It's set in 3049...isn't that the Clan invasion period?

I'd love to fight the Twycross campaign alongside Allard-Liao

The game actually follows a timeline with 1 day passing in the Battletech universe for each day that passes in real life.  It is set in 3049 so the clan invasion will be coming and we know the exact date already.  Probably won't get to the Word of Blake jihad unless they do a fast forward or if the game runs for 30 years :)

Are you a Pavlovian Fish Biscuit Addict? Get Help Now!
    I will play no more MMORPGs until somethign good comes out!

• spookydomspookydom Member UncommonPosts: 1,782

I am gushing. It's just that I like to do my gushing in private thank you, like a gentelman would. :)

• udonudon Member UncommonPosts: 1,803
    Originally posted by gimmesome

Really?  No other threads?   

I know there's not any footage or screenshots out yet, but still I would think there would be some hype going around.  Some nostalgic pc vets like myself reminiscing about the great times they've spent in Mechwarrior/Battletech games -

What's up with this?    Not enough PC gamer vets on this site?   None of the youngens remember the greatness of the Mechwarrior series?    Not enough Mechwarrior/Battletech pen+paper players?    

bahh....

Some gameplay footage in here.

http://www.mmorpg.com/discussion2.cfm/thread/350682/New-MechWarrior-Online-Videos.html

I'm looking forward to this game.  I'm nervous about the cash shop but hopeful they won't go overboard.

• JenneroflokJenneroflok Member Posts: 126
    Originally posted by Dredphyre
    Originally posted by Unlight

I know that many people saw Battletech as basically a war game -- pure strategy based on number crunching.  But when we played, it was a roleplaying game.  We started as infantry (squishies), then worked our way up through vehicles to finally being Mech pilots, getting embroiled in inter-house politics and dealing with unit logistics while we progressed.  That's what it was to us so that's how we played it.  I imagine the same thing will happen with MechWarrior Online, regardless of which acronym people choose to assign it.

That actually sounds super fun.  My favorite Battletech experiences were roleplay campaigns as well (though we didn't start as you did).  Starting as a underfunded, ragtag group of mercenaries piloting Mechs held together with baling wire and building it into a well-oiled machine with a company of Mechs and the logistical support to back it up was great fun.  The combat was ancillary to the political intrigue and personalities, the backroom deals to get much-needed Mech parts, the betrayals.  

Damn. Makes me want to start up a table top campaign again!

Oh, and after further research, MWO is sounding less appealling to me.  24/7 combat isn't that appealling. At all.

I remember driving 20 miles each way, twice a week to play battle tech (table top).  We would play from the time I got off work till I had to go back to work.  Like Many others I am really looking forward to this game.

As for  a F2P, While you will get c-bills faster or weapons slightly more powerful then the free players, I believe most the cash stuff will be window dressing for your mech.  Get together with friends and login together.  I group of free Jenner's working together can take down a full loaded Atlas paid for Atlas any day of the week.

• JenneroflokJenneroflok Member Posts: 126

Battletech and SJ's Car Wars world are two PnP systems I would love to see realised in full blown sandbox glory.

I would too!  I will take this for now though.  Maybe if Mechwarrior Online gets enough support, someone will come out with a full blown sandbox version that will have the tools to have both player run and live events that will be able to change the house's sphere of influence. A game where the  ground logistic (engineering, scout and central command class players) will be just as important as the mechs.  

I do not see anyone doing the above unless they see the support for this game first. 

• SysOpPsycheSysOpPsyche Member Posts: 103

This isn't MechWarrior/BattleTech PnP or even MechWarrior computer games series.

It's a MechWarrior reskin World of Tanks/Call of Duty thats more about selling virtual items out of cash shop that are only usable in their service (the so called Game).

Incredible that its STILL listed on MMORPG.com despite that its a roleplaying game in the minimal sense, the only Massive part of it might be the Main Lobby and pool of players that the matchmaker populates matches from, but then World of Tanks is listed here too soo .... W/E.

Guess MMORPG.com isn't about MMORPG's anymore.

• cagancagan Member UncommonPosts: 445
    Originally posted by SysOpPsyche

This isn't MechWarrior/BattleTech PnP or even MechWarrior computer games series.

It's a MechWarrior reskin World of Tanks/Call of Duty thats more about selling virtual items out of cash shop that are only usable in their service (the so called Game).

Incredible that its STILL listed on MMORPG.com despite that its a roleplaying game in the minimal sense, the only Massive part of it might be the Main Lobby and pool of players that the matchmaker populates matches from, but then World of Tanks is listed here too soo .... W/E.

I played world of tanks and quit and 1 week seeing how it s amoney making scheme with the gold ammo, special tanks etc and where your shot bounces of cash tanks armor and he 1 shots you with the cash ammo.

If this game turns out anything like that I will quit after 1 week too. The developers are saying its not pay to win, so we will see. But I love the battletech universe and hope this turns out to be good.

Anyone remember Mechcommander? Such a great game, still playing...

• FadedbombFadedbomb Member Posts: 2,081
    Originally posted by Jenneroflok
    <snip>

I remember driving 20 miles each way, twice a week to play battle tech (table top).  We would play from the time I got off work till I had to go back to work.  Like Many others I am really looking forward to this game.

As for  a F2P, While you will get c-bills faster or weapons slightly more powerful then the free players, I believe most the cash stuff will be window dressing for your mech.  Get together with friends and login together.  I group of free Jenner's working together can take down a full loaded Atlas paid for Atlas any day of the week.

You forget that it will be a World of Tanks matching system, and that means most likely 12 vs 12 no-respawn matches. So a group of "free" jenners will get face rolled by the Atlas's teammates thereby winning the match.

I predict each game will be based on weight vs skill.

The Theory of Conservative Conservation of Ignorant Stupidity:
    Having a different opinion must mean you're a troll.

• HodoHodo Member Posts: 542

There are alot of things on this website that shouldnt be listed as MMORPGs.  Smite, League Of Legends, WWIIOL, DayZ, and a few others that I cant even bother to list.   This has become a website dedicated to online games in general.   Hell they had a whole week dedicated to Diablo 3 and a few articles on Mass Effect 3 when it came out.   So go figure.

So much crap, so little quality.

• ericbelserericbelser Member Posts: 783
    Originally posted by Jenneroflok
    Originally posted by Unlight

I know that many people saw Battletech as basically a war game -- pure strategy based on number crunching.  But when we played, it was a roleplaying game.  We started as infantry (squishies), then worked our way up through vehicles to finally being Mech pilots, getting embroiled in inter-house politics and dealing with unit logistics while we progressed.  That's what it was to us so that's how we played it.  I imagine the same thing will happen with MechWarrior Online, regardless of which acronym people choose to assign it.

That actually sounds super fun.  My favorite Battletech experiences were roleplay campaigns as well (though we didn't start as you did).  Starting as a underfunded, ragtag group of mercenaries piloting Mechs held together with baling wire and building it into a well-oiled machine with a company of Mechs and the logistical support to back it up was great fun.  The combat was ancillary to the political intrigue and personalities, the backroom deals to get much-needed Mech parts, the betrayals.  

Damn. Makes me want to start up a table top campaign again!

Oh, and after further research, MWO is sounding less appealling to me.  24/7 combat isn't that appealling. At all.

All I can say to all this is that Mechwarrior is NOT Battletech! Liking one doesn't automatically mean that you'll have more than a vague nostalgic attraction to the other. I loved Battletech and played it a ridiculous amount...but I never really liked the Mechwarrior series of games. They were always too shallow and action/twitch driven for me...(now the mech booths are another matter entirely lol!)

That said, this seems to be a really well done MMO version of the Mechwarrior computer games...if you liked them, this is probably for you. However they'd have to add a lot more depth and non-twitch options for me and a lot of other people looking for a more traditional MMORPG.

• timeraidertimeraider Member UncommonPosts: 865
    This game looks quite nice. I would like to see more about how the progressionsystem is implemented... time to find an beta key :D
    Ashes of Creation Referral link - Help me to help you!
    https://ashesofcreation.com/r/Y4U3PQCASUPJ5SED
  • CaldrinCaldrin Member UncommonPosts: 4,505

Well yes they of course want to make money.. its not pay to win or anythnig like that. You can buy fast cash gain and fast xp gain but nothing will give you a major advantage in game that you cant get by just playing the game.

IF you want to call it a re-skin of WOT then fair enough but they are different games and play totally different from each other. Yes some things are similar... but you can say that about any game like this..

Your right about it not being an MMORPG thats for sure... but if they do manage to bring in the clan war stuff then i think it might be a few steps closer to being an MMO then.

• HodoHodo Member Posts: 542

Its not what I am looking for right now, I am playing it and testing and suggesting, trying in vain to get it to where I want it.   But I doubt it will be much more than what I fear.   Mechwarrior 5 Online.  

I come from the Multiplayer Battletech franchise crowd, I didnt like the Mechwarrior line of games they deviated to far from the canon values.   I was hoping for a MPBT game but saddly this is not it, not to say its not fun, but its not really Battletech.   Sure it looks like Battletech, but so does Hawken, Planetside, and BF2142, but it doesnt feel quite like it.   Weapons are either firing WAY to fast, and generating WAY to much heat, or they just dont do the right amount of damage.   An AC/20 should rip the legs off a Commando, but here, they barely make it think about the hit, and the Commando runs off pounding you with medium laser hits while you shutdown from the heat of firing you AC20.  

And as expected because of the custom mechlab you can build some rediculous combos of mechs which takes away from the canon feel as well.   Custom mechs were expensive and rare, not something every tom, dick, and harry had.    Its actually rarer to find a stock mech than a custom mech. 

But I guess thats what todays gamerkiddies want, easy mode have it all Varuca Salt style of gaming, instead of work, sweat, and tears followed by gratification and pride of hard work of overcomming the shortcommings of your mech choice.

So much crap, so little quality.