Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

SWTOR marketing campaign is huge

It is.

This is another example of it: Big Bang Theory

They had the Times Square event, they have TV commercials literally over the globe, they have the Internet.

More examples, just for the sake of trying to reveal how big their marketing campaing is after all.

Comments

• KeshanberkKeshanberk Member Posts: 81

This is no different from Blizzard's investment into Southpark. 

• GendailGendail Member UncommonPosts: 178

Originally posted by Keshanberk

This is no different from Blizzard's investment into Southpark. 

Or to go even further.  It's no different from WoW on the Big Bang Theory or Age of Conan on the Big Bang Theory.

• TheodwulfTheodwulf Member UncommonPosts: 311

If only they put that much time and effort into making a good game..if only.

• KalmarthKalmarth Member Posts: 443

Originally posted by Theodwulf

It is a good game, its sad  that haters like you cant help but be negative

• "who wants to run a round a bunch of imaginery planets fighting made up monsters."

"yeah but its got lightsabers."

• azrael466azrael466 Member Posts: 365

WoW was also on how I met your mother..

But no, SWTOR is on ONE SHOW and suddenly its marketing department is HUGE!

Playing
    Nothing
    waiting for
    The secret world
    Played
    WoW, DCU online, star wars: the old republic, city of heroes, city of villains, everquest, plenty more I'm probably forgetting or aren't worth noting.

• MosesZDMosesZD Member UncommonPosts: 1,361

Originally posted by Kalmarth

That's why it's bleeding subs and now even the servers on the first page of TorStatus are now running as low as 1.54 which is, basically 36% light/54% standard.   Which is why there are SCORES of servers that no longer reach heavy.   Why there are entire days, even on the most populus servers, there are no recorded 'server fulls.'   While the individual account log-ons (not the play hours, but log ons) are 50% down from January 8th.

And, of course, why their sales, despite over two weeks of massive TV, print and Internet bombardmant are still going down...  

So defend all you want.   The game is dropping like Warhammer.   You'll have a few more months of 'meh' subscriptions, then the last of those 60-day cards will expire and BOOM, game over at the May analysts meeting...

• BardusBardus Member Posts: 460

10 mil development, 190 mil advertising?

Makes sense to me.

Can I just say how pissed I am they couldn't even get basic details right?

I live with someone who LOVES the show, I hate it, and was watching it in the ilving room so I cought bits and peices..

"Okay, we can play for the republic and the lightside of the force, or the empire and the dark side"...But....You...Character alignments...faction has nothing to do with it....../nerdrage!

Seriously, everyone I know who watches it and even the critics act like its the "best" show with nerds on it and preach about how accurate it is..they couldn't even get a basic detail right.

Playing
    Nothing
    waiting for
    The secret world
    Played
    WoW, DCU online, star wars: the old republic, city of heroes, city of villains, everquest, plenty more I'm probably forgetting or aren't worth noting.

• OberholzerOberholzer Member Posts: 498

Originally posted by azrael466

I live with someone who LOVES the show, I hate it, and was watching it in the ilving room so I cought bits and peices..

"Okay, we can play for the republic and the lightside of the force, or the empire and the dark side"...But....You...Character alignments...faction has nothing to do with it....../nerdrage!

Seriously, everyone I know who watches it and even the critics act like its the "best" show with nerds on it and preach about how accurate it is..they couldn't even get a basic detail right.

You're right, they don't get every little nerd detail right, who cares. It's a TV show. You either like it or you don't.

Originally posted by eayes

You're right, they don't get every little nerd detail right, who cares. It's a TV show. You either like it or you don't.

I wouldn't mind if it was something that only like hardcore players would even bother to know like if they mentions rotations or one of the raids or something. But the alignment is one of the core mechanics! its like screwing up the races of WoW to factions.

Playing
    Nothing
    waiting for
    The secret world
    Played

• PivotelitePivotelite Member UncommonPosts: 2,145

It is EA and Bioware, they false advertise a product to be good and use a previous big name to get many people to play it...paying review sites to give it high ratings and such. 

ME3 story is absolutely atrocious, the previous Mass effects were great but look at that game as well, all review sites 10/10, 5/5 15/15, are you kidding me? Nevermind the day one DLC.

I will never touch a product by these two again...

• CoatedCoated Member UncommonPosts: 507

Originally posted by Pivotelite

It is EA and Bioware, they false advertise a product to be good and use a previous big name to get many people to play it...paying review sites to give it high ratings and such. 

ME3 story is absolutely atrocious, the previous Mass effects were great but look at that game as well, all review sites 10/10, 5/5 15/15, are you kidding me? Nevermind the day one DLC.

^

Shady, shady company.

Doesn't effect people who think for themselves and don't bother with review sites anyway.

Its been known for YEARS that review places are all BS. None of them review a game based on the games merits alone.

Playing
    Nothing
    waiting for
    The secret world
    Played

• DaRoamerDaRoamer Member Posts: 249

Yes, the marketing dept are also the same people developing the game.  /sarcasm

I'm sure you know that's not how large game companies operate, right?

As opposed to all those game companies who advertise their game to be bad?  Or any company advertising any products in the history of forever? 

Nevermind the fact that whether something is good or not is an opinion so I can't see how you can't falsely advertise that.

• RizelStarRizelStar Member UncommonPosts: 2,773

Doesn't effect people who think for themselves and don't bother with review sites anyway.

Its been known for YEARS that review places are all BS. None of them review a game based on the games merits alone.

Interesting...

I might get banned for this. - Rizel Star.

I'm not afraid to tell trolls what they [need] to hear, even if that means for me to have an forced absence afterwards.

P2P LOGIC = If it's P2P it means longevity, overall better game, and THE BEST SUPPORT EVER!!!!!(Which has been rinsed and repeated about a thousand times)

Common Sense Logic = P2P logic is no better than F2P Logic.

• Moaky07Moaky07 Member Posts: 2,096

I beg to disagree.

Mass Effect 3 was freaking epic. I currently have like 43 of 52 acheivements, and it brought back a ton of characters seen in the first 2 games. The final 15 minutes of game sucked, as it didnt give good enough closure for us long term fans. That said, the rest of the game was smoking hot. They gave more gear choices ala ME1, better shooter mechanics than ME2, and a lot more roleplay options ala the first. The choices you had made in the first 2 gave huge differences during the play of ME3. Something that does need to be addressed in the final 15 minutes.

Being as ME3 was the second game I have ever gotten as a CE edition(ME2 being the first), I gotta say even if I had ordered the standard edition, I would much rather have the extra DLC available the first day rather than waiting ala FF 13-2 folks did for the Omega character included with Amazon orders. Or Juggernaught for Marvel Ultimate Alliance 2 via gamestop orders. Or Batman;Arkam City Robin skin via Best Buy orders etc.

Whether you pay first day, or 30+ days later is irrelevant.  The fact they let folks get the CE stuff this time, and not be left in the dark like the CE collector gear last time is bonus. Unless you bought ME2 for PS3, you werent getting it without a CE.

Asking Devs to make AAA sandbox titles is like trying to get fine dining on a McDonalds dollar menu budget.

• DollMighty8313DollMighty8313 Member Posts: 179

Originally posted by MosesZD

That's why it's bleeding subs and now even the servers on the first page of TorStatus are now running as low as 1.54 which is, basically 36% light/54% standard.   Which is why there are SCORES of servers that no longer reach heavy.   Why there are entire days, even on the most populus servers, there are no recorded 'server fulls.'   While the individual account log-ons (not the play hours, but log ons) are 50% down from January 8th.

And, of course, why their sales, despite over two weeks of massive TV, print and Internet bombardmant are still going down...  

So defend all you want.   The game is dropping like Warhammer.   You'll have a few more months of 'meh' subscriptions, then the last of those 60-day cards will expire and BOOM, game over at the May analysts meeting...

You have no idea if it is "Bleeding Subs" or not.  You have no facts to base your silly claims on so yeah he's right youre just a hater.  PERIOD

• DollMighty8313DollMighty8313 Member Posts: 179

Originally posted by Coated

^

Shady, shady company.

^^^ Silly, Silly MMORPG memeber.

• defector1968defector1968 Member UncommonPosts: 469

it is a bad game, its sad that lovers like you cant help but be positive in crap game like this

fan of SWG, XCOM, Defiance, Global Agenda, Need For Speed, all Star Wars single player games. And waiting the darn STAR CITIZEN

Originally posted by defector1968

it is a bad game, its sad that lovers like you cant help but be positive in crap game like this

Seriously?  Did you actually read what you wrote?  I understand you're trying to be funny but put some effort into it. 

No, it's absolutely not sad to spend time in a forum for a game that you enjoy and make positive posts about it.  On the other hand if you don't like something, why spend time on it?  Move on with your life.  Enough with the "crusades".

There are lots of restaurants I like, I spend time there and I may comment on how good the food is.  If I didn't like the food at a restaurant I wouldn't hang out there and spend my time telling other people how much the place sucks.

• Mag1sterMag1ster Member Posts: 97

I used to be a nay sayer, that kind of negative person that roam specific game forum to say negative thing about it. I was never happy with the state of a game and always wanted more.

Now the problem we are facing is that the common gamer type (the new generation) is never happy with anything. I remember back then when game like Golden Eyes 64 could be for hours by most people. Hell it had no content.

Do you think a game like Diablo II (with updated graphic) would live long nowaday?

Gamers demand more and more. They want 100% of the money invested back into the game yet they complain when the subsription lower. Let it be known... what made WoW that great back in the day was good use of marketing to keep people flowing in.

On a final note. Being negative serve no purpose. Being constructive and objective would be much better in a world of gaming that actually need more positivism to move foward. Remember that gamer make the best game producer, but that is considering the fact that they are involving themself in a project and putting effort to construct something great.

• HatewallHatewall Member Posts: 120

In defense of WOW and South Park, that was a great episode and not just a lazy product placement.

• bartoni33bartoni33 Member RarePosts: 2,044

To Dollada06 and DaRoamer: Please don't feed the Trolls! Ignore them and they will go away. I know it's hard but for the sake of this sites integrity it would be for the best.

As far as the OP goes I do not consider TOR's marketing huge at all. Other than BBT (OK episode) I have yet to see any marketing other than on this site.

I can't tell if you are trying to put TOR down for it or not. So many shit posts about TOR it's hard to tell the legit posts from the fucked-up garbage that is posted daily.

Bartoni's Law definition: As an Internet discussion grows volatile, the probability of a comparison involving Donald Trump approaches 1.