Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Game of Thrones: GDC 2012: Game of Thrones Goes Sandbox Warfare

Comments

• 1carcarah11carcarah1 Member Posts: 172

Its funny how a browser game looks better than any sandbox released until now.

• alexminoalexmino Member Posts: 132

I loled at who the big houses were knowing how it all turns out.

If it's like the books you're better off just stickng to your own business.

• RefMinorRefMinor Member UncommonPosts: 3,452
    Originally posted by 1carcarah1

Why, what does this look like?
  • AcmegamerAcmegamer Member UncommonPosts: 337

Originally posted by RefMinor

I'll ditto the request for screen shots. 

• bloodbonebloodbone Member Posts: 142

Originally posted by Venger

Originally posted by barezz

Unfortunatly it seems that once again that sandbox has to mean open world PvP.  Now granted that they have not said this will be the case at this early stage, but this usually means that you are always PvP flagged.  The reality is that not every player likes to PvP, and there are players who like PvP but not open world PvP. 

It is funny how these open world pvp games keep coming and how they keep achieving mediocre success at best.  The reason always seems to be "blah blah broken game system" or "blah blah game wasn't ready to launch".  Can all of these gams just be that terrible?  Or could it be that sandbox with forced open world PvP is not the recepie for success that a loud vocal minority would like everyone to believe?

Wow, no offense but really? I think what you guys are really looking for is a game not based around war and violence (think the SIMS mmo).  Even if you mostly PvE games like Wow and AoC are so much better on PvP servers IMO.  You should have to watch your back - after all these games are all about war.  I also feel like PvE only servers have really taken the instanced battlegrounds to a new level (sorry there is some puck in my mouth).

Non PvE is another way you dont have to interact with players, its another way MMO's are become Single player games with instanced grouping (pve and pvp).

Now my comment above was not meant to be a jest.  If you dont like war and violence a sandbox game could be made where fighting or killing is not an option.  (the Sims or something like that - are there not korean sandbox games currently where people buy things get married etc..) 

• 1carcarah11carcarah1 Member Posts: 172

Originally posted by AcmeGamer

Originally posted by RefMinor

I'll ditto the request for screen shots. 

Archage looks much better, but it wasnt released yet

http://pcmedia.ign.com/pc/image/article/121/1219721/a-game-of-thrones-mmo-20120229025727150-000.jpg

• DurrayDurray Member UncommonPosts: 182

*Sees' its browser based and moves on*

• dreldrel Member Posts: 918

Great news! The game can't come soon enough! Loved the books and the TV series! Now an MMO being developed!

Sweet!

• stragen001stragen001 Member UncommonPosts: 1,720

Winter is coming.....

Cluck Cluck, Gibber Gibber, My Old Mans A Mushroom

• tawesstawess Member EpicPosts: 4,227

Also... Would it not be kinda... Unfair to the poor people choosing Stark... if they have any story progression in the game... .. . Just saying...

This have been a good conversation

• JobeArthurJobeArthur Member UncommonPosts: 41

First BSG and now GoT.. how does Bigpoint Games manage to get these IP's just to ruin them?

• FadedbombFadedbomb Member Posts: 2,081

Please do not judge the game model of "Sandbox" by piss poor companies like BigPoint making horrible messes of decent IPs.

This won't be a sandbox.

BigPoint will fail yet AGAIN with another large IP (look up BSG:Online, supposedly another "sandbox" by BigPoint).

The MMO market as a whole will reject them completely.

Hopefully BigPoint never gets another decent IP ever again.

:)

The Theory of Conservative Conservation of Ignorant Stupidity:
    Having a different opinion must mean you're a troll.

• SanguinelustSanguinelust Member UncommonPosts: 812

Looks awesome can't wait to try it!

• SagasaintSagasaint Member UncommonPosts: 466

Originally posted by Czanrei

Bigpoint = bad

Sandbox = good

Browser-based= bad

2/3 bad = bad

I'd add:

(VERY VERY likely) pay to win = bad

browser based = bad

and because its so bad that it deserves to count twice, BigPoint = bad

5/6 bad for me

not touching it with a hundred foot pole

• EduardoASGEduardoASG Member Posts: 832

looks good.:)

Browser games are the future in my opinion and unity already showed it.

Unity html5 w/e.. bring us those .

Aion, AoC, AC, AO, DDO, Eve, Eq2, GW, MW3, L1&2, RF, RIFT, SWG, SWTOR, TR, UO, WOW, WAR
  • IsawaIsawa Member UncommonPosts: 1,051

Sounds good, will wait for actual information to make any judgment.

• xenogiasxenogias Member Posts: 1,926

Damnit. I read BigPoint and "not pay to win" and spit my coffee out. Sad that this IP is doomed to fail before it even gets started.

• tazarconantazarconan Member Posts: 1,013

If hypothetically the scenery the political system etc etc will come true the game's success will be determined on one factor. Combat system. If it works its fluid and addicitve this game has a good chance to mark the mmorpg scenery like wow did on its own unique way ofc. Sandboxers could find find their wow and themepark lovers a good chance to try a quality sandbox mmorpg. Time will show as always what this game will be.

• LawlmonsterLawlmonster Member UncommonPosts: 1,085

I don't knooooow, this whole thing smells fishy to me. Browser based? BigPoint?! What the hell is going on!

"This is life! We suffer and slave and expire. That's it!" -Bernard Black (Dylan Moran)

• NetspookNetspook Member UncommonPosts: 1,583

"BigPoint is publishing the browser based game..."

No more info necessary.

/moving on

• TwistingfateTwistingfate Member Posts: 177

I loved Game of Thrones but I dunno. Browser based, Company that seems to have a bad history. Seems like a recipe for disaster. I really hope it does well but I wont be surprised if another IP is butchered because of a shitty mmo company.

• ComafComaf Member UncommonPosts: 1,150

1. One free for all server where everyone kills everyone without any intellectual thought going on.

2. One server with the Horselords, The Undead whatchamacallits of the far north, and the seven kingdoms, go to war.  Three factions right there. 

Everyone's happy.  Will it happen?  Nope.  Theyll have horseclans filled with guys from all over, no concept of racial variation that the movie provides.  Horselords will be working the wall lol.  It will have zero lore because the industry is as lazy as those who will log in. 

Sad but true.  Don't believe me?  Look at the games we have in today's market.  Hey look, I'm right.

• volttvoltt Member UncommonPosts: 432

I think a lot of people have a misconception of browser based games, tech has come a long way.

A good of example of a decent looking game that is browser based is battlefield Play4free. 

• NewHorizonNewHorizon Member Posts: 18

Originally posted by barezz

Unfortunatly it seems that once again that sandbox has to mean open world PvP.  Now granted that they have not said this will be the case at this early stage, but this usually means that you are always PvP flagged.  The reality is that not every player likes to PvP, and there are players who like PvP but not open world PvP. 

It is funny how these open world pvp games keep coming and how they keep achieving mediocre success at best.  The reason always seems to be "blah blah broken game system" or "blah blah game wasn't ready to launch".  Can all of these gams just be that terrible?  Or could it be that sandbox with forced open world PvP is not the recepie for success that a loud vocal minority would like everyone to believe?

Sandbox is Mortal Online, and Xsyon. Xsyon has like zero focus on pvp in open world. And if everyone werent pussy from too much WoW, some of the best games I ever played that were open world pvp, like Neocorn, would be better.. PvE Focused games, like SW:TOR fail and areans are getting real boring. Just wait till China comes and rolls us and everyone is trying to call there attorneys etc. 

• acidbloodacidblood Member RarePosts: 878

Is it just me or do they seem to be using 'Sandbox' in the 'We can't be bothered creating content so here is big open world have at it' sense... or are you actually going to be able to affect the world in more ways than just taking keeps?