Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Star Wars: The Old Republic: Riccitiello Confirms 1.7 Million Subscribers

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129

Electronic Arts CEO John Riccitiello has confirmed that Star Wars: The Old Republic is sporting 1.7 million subscribers and indicated that the "vast majority" of the subscribers have passed beyond the thirty days of game time that was included in the purchase price.

A stock analyst from Cowen & Company had this to say about the short term future of SWTOR:

"We continue to feel comfortable with our Star Wars estimates which are an important part of our street-high FY13 non-GAAP EPS estimate of $1.36. We estimate 2MM paying subs by the end of June 2012 (and then sustained for the remainder of the year). We also note that the company plans to launch Star Wars in the Asia-Pacific region later this month," Creutz said in a statement.

Read more at GamesIndustry.biz.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• SnikzSnikz Member UncommonPosts: 120
    nice. hope this proves to doomsayers that the game is healthy. bowling we just need 1.2
  • itchmonitchmon Member RarePosts: 1,999

how could this game possibly succeed in the face of such intense trolling on the internet!?

grats to BW.  I'm still playing and it's not perfect but it's fun and i have a couple smile moments when evr i play.

RIP Ribbitribbitt you are missed, kid.

Currently Playing EVE, ESO

Every gun that is made, every warship launched, every rocket fired signifies, in the final sense, a theft from those who hunger and are not fed, those who are cold and not clothed.

Dwight D Eisenhower

My optimism wears heavy boots and is loud.

Henry Rollins

• ZaltarkZaltark Member UncommonPosts: 437

SWTOR is dead to me. Glad they have subscibers, but I probably wont be returning.

• emotaemota Member UncommonPosts: 413

I am surprised, i quote a GM from a large multi gaming community -

"SWTOR is like a train journey, nice scenary on route but the ride is over once you reach your destination"!

• William12William12 Member Posts: 680

Originally posted by Snikz

nice. hope this proves to doomsayers that the game is healthy. bowling we just need 1.2

Doubt it they will just  say hes lying and ignore the fact that lying to investors or misleading them with inaccurate numbers is fraud and would land the CEO in  prison for 5+ years.

• xm522xm522 Member UncommonPosts: 117

dont get me wrong, i hope SWTOR succeds... but "the CEO told investors"... really? CEO's lie left and right.

• NBlitzNBlitz Member Posts: 1,904

This thread won't end well.

• jdnewelljdnewell Member UncommonPosts: 2,237

Good for them.

If they can release a product that gives entertainment to 1.7 million people then Gratz are in order.

Not my kind of game for sure and while I dont really understand what people see in TOR I can appreciate that many people do like it. Hopefully the people that do like it and stick with it will continue to enjoy it.

Originally posted by xm522

dont get me wrong, i hope SWTOR succeds... but "the CEO told investors"... really? CEO's lie left and right.

See another one who just ignores and says they lie all the time lol.

CEOs lie to you and me all the time investors are not lied to as much as you think.  Why ? Its fraud and if you get caught you go to jail for 5 + years have a felony on your record and get fired btw GL ever getting a CEO Job again.  It just doesnt happen as much as people pretend it does.

• GreenHellGreenHell Member UncommonPosts: 1,323

I'm glad it is doing well right now but I'm more interested in how it will do when the new MMOs launch this year. Only time will tell if it can live up to their predictions.

• fivorothfivoroth Member UncommonPosts: 3,916

That's good news for BioWare.

Mission in life: Vanquish all MMORPG.com trolls - especially TESO, WOW and GW2 trolls.

• xm522xm522 Member UncommonPosts: 117

sorry, but you may not have read the article. it was not any legal for of statement like a fiscal quarter update, just more like a statement of reassurance. if lying to investors was a crime than all MMOs with unfullfilled 'content' promises would have had their respecting co. CEOs arrested. do not take me for an ignorant individual like 90% of the internet.

companies get investors y exagerating the truth and painting poop in different colors of the rainbow.

• DeathofsageDeathofsage Member UncommonPosts: 1,102

Originally posted by William12

Doubt it they will just  say hes lying and ignore the fact that lying to investors or misleading them with inaccurate numbers is fraud and would land the CEO in  prison for 5+ years.

Plenty of CEOs and boards get caught lying to, at least "misleading", investors.

http://www.informationweek.com/news/personal-tech/smart-phones/229207974

Spec'ing properly is a gateway drug.
    12 Million People have been meter spammed in heroics.

Originally posted by Deathofsage

Plenty of CEOs and boards get caught lying to, at least "misleading", investors.

You're comparing lying about someones health that is personal and confidential and is non of the investors or stock holders business to out right financial fraud ?   Because it would be out right finanical fraud to misreport actual numbers to investors.  The writer of that article might think its his right to know about someones health issue but its not.

• RefMinorRefMinor Member UncommonPosts: 3,452
    You can probably tell from my signature, and certainly from my post history, that I am not a SWTOR fan, but if the CEO has gone on record in an interview and quoted numbers, rather than general reassurances, "we are on track" " comfortable with the position" etc then I would take them to be accurate. If a company is not going to make the expected cash then they front up and issue a profit warning. I cannot see the EA head honcho outright lying over something verifiable like subscribers, especially as SWTOR is not crucial to EA survival.
  • wewterwewter Member Posts: 19

hm .. maybe people DID stay past their 30days paid time included with the game.  The only reasons they would have done so, however, would have been if they [foolishly] bought into the multi-month game time card, or if they decided to play it out an extra month to see if anything changed before quitting for good.  

I was in the latter group.  Love SW to death, played swtor hoping that it would be everything KOTOR1+2 was in mmo form but in a new-generation format ... and after about 50 days wanted to punch every BioWare/EA dev who worked on this game in the face.

No seriously.  That's what you get for popping a squat and dumping all over the Star Wars IP.  Unforgiveable (imo).

P.S. I'll never buy another ea/bioware game again. me3/swtor sealed the f'ing deal on that one.  Period.

Past [MMO] Games: Lineage 2 (quit c5), Aion, RIFT, SWTOR
    Current[MMO] Game(s): TERA
    Future [MMO] Game(s): ArcheAge, Blade/Soul

• HedeonHedeon Member UncommonPosts: 997

lol my god, not going to speculate on numbers....but why cofirm the sales, but keep the actual subscriber numbers secret.....

• evictonevicton Member Posts: 398

Originally posted by RefMinor

You can probably tell from my signature, and certainly from my post history, that I am not a SWTOR fan, but if the CEO has gone on record in an interview and quoted numbers, rather than general reassurances, "we are on track" " comfortable with the position" etc then I would take them to be accurate. If a company is not going to make the expected cash then they front up and issue a profit warning. I cannot see the EA head honcho outright lying over something verifiable like subscribers, especially as SWTOR is not crucial to EA survival.

This, even swtor failed EA would not die over it, there chokehold on the nfl pretty much would assure there survival. Not to mention all those other games. If he got caught lying investors would demand he step down. I can't see him lying about numbers for one game when EA's health is determined by the overall portfolio of there games.

• DeathofsageDeathofsage Member UncommonPosts: 1,102

Originally posted by Deathofsage

You're comparing lying about someones health that is personal and confidential and is non of the investors or stock holders business to out right financial fraud ?   Because it would be out right finanical fraud to misreport actual numbers to investors.  The writer of that article might think its his right to know about someones health issue but its not.

Actually, and the reason is there was such a debate about it, is because Steve Jobs didn't so much keep the information private as mislead them to allay their concerns. What he said was technically true, but that still doesn't mean he was well-intentioned in misleading investors.

Blizzard has been misleading, but still honest, for years about their 12 million or 10 million or whatever users, because they count foreign usage which may mean someone logging in for one hour in a month, or they mean the vast number of people who are actively subscribed but don't log into the game (such as the Diablo 3 beta-annual pass special). (I said vast number, not vast majority or vast percentage.).

Not that this is a revelation to anyone, but all they did was sell D3 beta access so they could claim more subscribers.

Companies are as crafty as children is how they can tell mom the truth and stay out of the trouble. "I didn't slap him in the eye"....I elbowed him in it.

Spec'ing properly is a gateway drug.
    12 Million People have been meter spammed in heroics.

• fonyfony Member Posts: 755

meh, they said the same exact thing about WAR a few years back.

• Games888Games888 Member Posts: 243

not buying it, warhammer did the samething, CEO said sub was good they were happy then next week they got fired lol.  Xfire # dont lie, game account selling website dont lie, never seen an mmo with max level account selling so low , too many ppl quitting.

• elockeelocke Member UncommonPosts: 4,335

Key word here is "estimates".

The spin doctor's are in the house, ;D

• DauzqulDauzqul Member RarePosts: 1,982

Of course it's going to look "healthy". The game is less than 90 days old.

I've already played through my mental retention. Other than playing with friends, there is no reason for me to subscribe. I've never been so bored playing a video game.

The game seemed great at first. However, after about level 30, the quests started to become far more annoying - having to sit through an entire cut-scene just to end up doing redundant crap, e.g., click on crates, kill enemies for datapads, etc. I know I can "space bar" through it, but it still doesn't stop the fact that it's beyond linear and boring.

• Mari2kMari2k Member UncommonPosts: 367

On the next expantion all the trolls and haters will resub again, like always. .. so it will continue to have like 1,5-2 mil subs.

But I dont see this game be popular in asia, they like pvp and pve grinding ...

• EliandalEliandal Member Posts: 796

Originally posted by elocke

Key word here is "estimates".

The spin doctor's are in the house, ;D

Since when does an anylyst estimate have anything to do with spin doctoring?

Good for them.  I know I'm still enjoying myself!