Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Game of Thrones: GDC 2012: Game of Thrones Goes Sandbox Warfare

Comments

• AsamofAsamof Member UncommonPosts: 824

I wonder if baratheon refers to renly or stannis

guess it doesn't matter since the game probably wont be very good anyway

get ready to see azor ahai classes in the cash shop! can't wait for the lore to be destroyed

• SlickShoesSlickShoes Member UncommonPosts: 1,019

I would bet my right testicle that those skills you have to level are capped each day unless you buy £9.99 (or whatever) worth of BIGPOINT points to advance your character.

Have a look at the Battlestar Galactica MMO to see where this one will end up, it will boast 2 million registered players or something but 1.99 million will dismiss it as trash and never touch it again.

I would love to be wrong but it's not going to happen.

I will stick to watching the TV show and enjoying the books on this one.

• HeroEvermoreHeroEvermore Member Posts: 672

obviously many are upset that its a browser mmo. blame media, they think we want mobile games we can play on our ipads. sadly this game was not made for the hardcore mmo'er. i still will try it. i have found a few browser games with gameplay as good as high end mmos.

Hero Evermore
    Guild Master of Dragonspine since 1982.
    Playing Path of Exile and deeply in love with it.

• HatewallHatewall Member Posts: 120

mmorpg.com has been my go-to site for games for nearly a decade.

I can't help but to think things have changed for the worse when they are promoting a company as ethically challenged as Bigpoint. Ad revenue or not, sometimes it's not worth selling your soul and funneling your community towards a guaranteed bad experience.

• ZylaxxZylaxx Member Posts: 2,574

When I recieved the tweet yesterday about look for tomorrows announcement about a game of Thrones Sandbox MMO I was quite literally dazzled with excitement at the possibilities of what we could get out of such an awesome title.

FlashForward to today and we get an Open World FFA PvP featuring factions.  Yea Factions lol.  And on top of that it will be a browser based game.  All I can say is wow, totally wasnt expecting this.  Enjoy your 100 player population because this game is shooting to make the least amount of subs in history.  Open PvP and Browser based, can it get any worse?

I cant believe that RR Martin would of licensed such incomptents to carry his IP forward. 

This game could of been so much more, it could of been the first true Sandbox PvE world which concentrated on house politics and so much more.  But the kicker is: a browser based game, no thanks.

Everything you need to know about Elder Scrolls Online

Playing: GW2
    Waiting on: TESO
    Next Flop: Planetside 2
    Best MMO of all time: Asheron's Call - The first company to recreate AC will be the next greatest MMO.

• RefMinorRefMinor Member UncommonPosts: 3,452
    Originally posted by Zylaxx

When I recieved the tweet yesterday about look for tomorrows announcement about a game of Thrones Sandbox MMO I was quite literally dazzled with excitement at the possibilities of what we could get out of such an awesome title.

FlashForward to today and we get an Open World FFA PvP featuring factions.  Yea Factions lol.  And on top of that it will be a browser based game.  All I can say is wow, totally wasnt expecting this.  Enjoy your 100 player population because this game is shooting to make the least amount of subs in history.  Open PvP and Browser based, can it get any worse?

I cant believe that RR Martin would of licensed such incomptents to carry his IP forward. 

This game could of been so much more, it could of been the first true Sandbox PvE world which concentrated on house politics and so much more.  But the kicker is: a browser based game, no thanks.

I can see many arguments for PvE games but for Game of Thrones it has to be a PvP game, how can you have political battle against an NPC.
  • ElesdeeElesdee Member UncommonPosts: 44

Winter is coming

• DistopiaDistopia Member EpicPosts: 21,183

Originally posted by RefMinor

Well whining about it won't change the platform or the developer, I like the sound of it and will wait to see the implementation before I judge it.

Yep, I care about games, not names, and I love sandboxes, how often do we see one in development by anything other than small indies? Definitely keeping an eye on this one, could be pleasently surprised, regardless of platform.

For every minute you are angry , you lose 60 seconds of happiness."-Emerson

• TruthXHurtsTruthXHurts Member UncommonPosts: 1,555

Originally posted by barezz

Unfortunatly it seems that once again that sandbox has to mean open world PvP.  Now granted that they have not said this will be the case at this early stage, but this usually means that you are always PvP flagged.  The reality is that not every player likes to PvP, and there are players who like PvP but not open world PvP. 

It is funny how these open world pvp games keep coming and how they keep achieving mediocre success at best.  The reason always seems to be "blah blah broken game system" or "blah blah game wasn't ready to launch".  Can all of these gams just be that terrible?  Or could it be that sandbox with forced open world PvP is not the recepie for success that a loud vocal minority would like everyone to believe?

Not every player line gets so old... WE KNOW THAT NOT EVERY PLAYER LIKES FFA PVP.  Do you PVE players not get it? You have hundreds of games to choose from, but the second someone mentions FFA pvp you are all up in arms. It's ridiculous. Get a life already.

"I am not in a server with Gankers...THEY ARE IN A SERVER WITH ME!!!"

FlashForward to today and we get an Open World FFA PvP featuring factions.  Yea Factions lol. 

3 factions, which is what many in this genre have been begging for, not to mention many fans of a certain game keep going on about how awesome it is for featuring 3 way PVP again, all of a sudden it's bad in this case?

• SlickShoesSlickShoes Member UncommonPosts: 1,019

Originally posted by Distopia

Well whining about it won't change the platform or the developer, I like the sound of it and will wait to see the implementation before I judge it.

Yep, I care about games, not names, and I love sandboxes, how often do we see one in development by anything other than small indies? Definitely keeping an eye on this one, could be pleasently surprised, regardless of platform.

You have to look at the company though, look at the track record.

Browser games have come a long way but not that long this will be able to be the game it should have been.

I took the same attitude as you when Battlestar Galactica came out by Bigpoint and it was a travesty, horrible game, waste of the IP to even be associated with such a bad game.

• achesomaachesoma Member RarePosts: 1,726

A damn shame this great IP is being wasted on some F2P, browser-based crap. 

Preaching Pantheon to People at PAX  PAX East 2018 Day 4 - YouTube
  • TruthXHurtsTruthXHurts Member UncommonPosts: 1,555

Originally posted by SlickShoes

Browser games have come a long way but not that long this will be able to be the game it should have been.

I took the same attitude as you when Battlestar Galactica came out by Bigpoint and it was a travesty, horrible game, waste of the IP to even be associated with such a bad game.

Only complaint I've ever heard abotu BSG is that the it;s P2Win. Besides that I've heard it's a goo dgame. I am not much  a fan of the new series... The acting is just too horrible as in my syfy series.

"I am not in a server with Gankers...THEY ARE IN A SERVER WITH ME!!!"

FlashForward to today and we get an Open World FFA PvP featuring factions.  Yea Factions lol. 

3 factions, which is what many in this genre have been begging for, not to mention many fans of a certain game keep going on about how awesome it is for featuring 3 way PVP again, all of a sudden it's bad in this case?

5 would have been better though, far more permutations for deceit and backstabbing, it is the war of the 5 kings after all.

Originally posted by SlickShoes

It's my understanding that Bigpoint is just a publisher is this the same development studio as BSG? Besides it's a totally different implementation than what was used with BSG. On top of that if it's F2P as most of BP's publsihed games are there's no risk in giving it a go.

5 would have been better though, far more permutations for deceit and backstabbing, it is the war of the 5 kings after all.

Maybe, I'm not familiar with the IP what so ever. I am just a SB fanboi I guess :P. Still color me actually excited about a game for a change.

• fenistilfenistil Member Posts: 3,005

Maybe, I'm not familiar with the IP what so ever. I am just a SB fanboi I guess :P. Still color me actually excited about a game for a change.

With cash shop influence and especially with bigpoint cash shop I cannot see any sandbox being good. 

That just me though.

• MrTugglesMrTuggles Member UncommonPosts: 188

The one reason this game is going to fail and I won't be playing: BigPoint.

Originally posted by fenistil

With cash shop influence and especially with bigpoint cash shop I cannot see any sandbox being good. 

That just me though.

Personally I'm more worried about supporting sub-genre's I want to see more of rather than boycotting an inevitable downside of the F2P genre.

If you like fantasy books, definitely read Game of Thrones. It's quote is "the Game of Thrones, you win or die" and all the characters are either ruthless or dead.

If you like fantasy books, definitely read Game of Thrones. It's quote is "the Game of Thrones, you win or die" and all the characters are either ruthless or dead.

Yeah  my GF and I were actually talking about picking up some of these books this-morning, before I even saw this preview hehe, odd how things work out like that.

• SuraknarSuraknar Member UncommonPosts: 852

I am curious to see how this will turn out to be.

I play the Board Game and I love the Lore (usually play House Tyrel), but was not confident of a good rendition of it in an MMO format.

The game just managed to get my attention.

- Duke Suraknar -
    Order of the Silver Star, OSS

ESKA, Playing MMORPG's since Ultima Online 1997 - Order of the Silver Serpent, Atlantic Shard
  • GeeTeeEffOhGeeTeeEffOh Member Posts: 731

Originally posted by Naral

Uggh...My favorite series of books or all times just turned into a browser game, by a company reputed for P2W games...

I just feel like I found out Cristina Hendricks has a penis.

Look at it this way. If you play with either one, you know you are gonna get screwed.

Yeah  my GF and I were actually talking about picking up some of these books this-morning, before I even saw this preview hehe, odd how things work out like that.

The HBO series is about a good as an adaption as you will get.

The HBO series is about a good as an adaption as you will get.

Looks really good based on the trailers I've seen. Plus it has (or had if he's dead) Sean Bean.