Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Icing on the cake features that you would like to see?

Comments

• Garvon3Garvon3 Member CommonPosts: 2,898

Originally posted by Volkon

Originally posted by Garvon3

Originally posted by ariboersma

Originally posted by Fir3line

The world isnt instanced, where does that idea come from

What do you call the dungeons and your personal storyline? They're instanced.

How do I break this to you.... that is not the world..

Yup. Stopped reading. This game has no instances! Don't be crazy! No instances here! The whole world is uninstanced! Oh well, I mean you know, only the uninstanced parts of the world are uninstanced! Those instanced bits over there? Yeah they don't count. Pretend those don't exist and the whole world is uninstanced!

Just like WoW raids, there are specific bits of instanced content meant for dedicated parties of a certain size.

So?

Open persistent world is open and persistent.

If all the dungeons are instanced then the world is not open and persistent, as dungeons are part of the world. I swear you people must have never played any regular MMOs.

• VolkonVolkon Member UncommonPosts: 3,748

Originally posted by RefMinor

I agree with that. Also EvE and Vanguard works fine without instanced dungeons, so it is perfectly possible. As for not being happy that someone's opinion is that they would like an uninstanced world as their choice of icing, I can only say, don't create threads on a generic MMO site if you don't want to hear a variety of opinions debated. Head off to the official site and all sing off the same hymn sheet.

Every system in Eve is it's own instance. Eve's one of the most instanced games out there. Ever try to get into a wormhole and have to wait for the system to load?

Oderint, dum metuant.

Yup. Stopped reading. This game has no instances! Don't be crazy! No instances here! The whole world is uninstanced! Oh well, I mean you know, only the uninstanced parts of the world are uninstanced! Those instanced bits over there? Yeah they don't count. Pretend those don't exist and the whole world is uninstanced!

Just like WoW raids, there are specific bits of instanced content meant for dedicated parties of a certain size.

So?

If all the dungeons are instanced then the world is not open and persistent, as dungeons are part of the world. I swear you people must have never played any regular MMOs.

You're being deliberately disingenuous now. But, regardless, your cake will never be iced. No one else will care.

Oderint, dum metuant.

So?

You're being deliberately disingenuous now. But, regardless, your cake will never be iced. No one else will care.

Are we speaking different languages? Since when do dungeons not count as part of the game world? I'm not being deliberately disingenuous, I think you people are just fine with part of the world being instanced.

I agree with that. Also EvE and Vanguard works fine without instanced dungeons, so it is perfectly possible. As for not being happy that someone's opinion is that they would like an uninstanced world as their choice of icing, I can only say, don't create threads on a generic MMO site if you don't want to hear a variety of opinions debated. Head off to the official site and all sing off the same hymn sheet.

Every system in Eve is it's own instance. Eve's one of the most instanced games out there. Ever try to get into a wormhole and have to wait for the system to load?

There's a difference between zoning and instancing. You can go into other people's wormholes.

• RefMinorRefMinor Member UncommonPosts: 3,452

Any player may enter any system in EvE at any time, is each system loaded separately, yes, are they instanced, no.

Any player may enter any system in EvE at any time, is each system loaded separately, yes, are they instanced, no.

Ah, that's a good point... I stand corrected.

Oderint, dum metuant.

Are we speaking different languages? Since when do dungeons not count as part of the game world? I'm not being deliberately disingenuous, I think you people are just fine with part of the world being instanced.

The original Guild Wars was instanced. The "open world", as it is, is a private instance of your party. The world of GW2 is fully open, like WoW for example. Everyone is there. And, like practically every other MMO out there, specific content is instanced as being exclusive, such as WoW raids and dungeons or GW2 dungeons. So there's an open and persitent world where everyone in the server can romp and play, and there are instances for dungeons and personal story. That does not make it an instanced world. You're deliberately crossing the definitions in a feeble attempts to make a point that's invalid. because you've chosen to move the goalposts on what the definition of an "instanced world" is doesn't mean the rest of us need to accept your definition.

Oderint, dum metuant.

The original Guild Wars was instanced. The "open world", as it is, is a private instance of your party. The world of GW2 is fully open, like WoW for example.

WoW is not fully open. WoW has tons of instances, from dungeons to raids to phasing. Everyone is "not all there". In most MMOs I can go into a dungeon say, Mithra, and everyone else who is in that dungeon will be there.

I don't think you guys know what open world means. An open world has NO instances. Period.

• Fir3lineFir3line Member Posts: 767
    I gave up on him this morning, leave him with the ignorance goggles

"I am not a robot. I am a unicorn."

Does GW2 have open world areas, yes, does it have instanced sections, yes, is it a fully open world, no. I am sorry if the fact is going to affect your enjoyment of what looks to be a good game but if self delusion is your thing then don't peddle it as facts.

The original Guild Wars was instanced. The "open world", as it is, is a private instance of your party. The world of GW2 is fully open, like WoW for example.

WoW is not fully open. WoW has tons of instances, from dungeons to raids to phasing. Everyone is "not all there". In most MMOs I can go into a dungeon say, Mithra, and everyone else who is in that dungeon will be there.

I don't think you guys know what open world means. An open world has NO instances. Period.

In your opinion. You're redefining what an open world means to suit your argument, so be it. Your definition will not be met in GW2. The rest of us recognize the open, persistent world of GW2 as it is, and a good many of us are looking forwards to playing, just as it is.

Seriously, you should try Eve. Sounds like what you want.

Oderint, dum metuant.

You gave up because you're wrong. Admit it and you might not look like a total ponce.

You claim Guild Wars is entirely open world. It is not. It has instances. It is partially open world, not  fully.

In your opinion. You're redefining what an open world means to suit your argument, so be it.

How the hell do you have a different definition of what open world means? I'm literally staring at my computer, totally boggled. Open means ONE THING. They've only ever meant one thing. An open world MMO means every area is OPEN. Meaning, everyone shares the same space. I'm sorry if you've all been too poisoned by WoW to remember this but...good god people, it says it right in the name.

• FonclFoncl Member UncommonPosts: 347

Something I would like them to try is itemization similar to Diablo 2 for the PvE part of the game, lots of random affixes and socketed gear for runewords etc. PvP should be fought with equal gear imo, but I like varied itemization for PvE.

I really hope they don't listen to all the balance whine that will inevitably arise, if something isn't clearly broken then don't fix it. All classes shouldn't be perfectly equal in power for every potential situation, let the game mature and develop and don't do radical changes unless it's clearly not working as intended.

Balance whiners can reroll the overpowered class and specc of the month if they want to.

In your opinion. You're redefining what an open world means to suit your argument, so be it.

How the hell do you have a different definition of what open world means? I'm literally staring at my computer, totally boggled. Open means ONE THING. They've only ever meant one thing. An open world MMO means every area is OPEN. Meaning, everyone shares the same space. I'm sorry if you've all been too poisoned by WoW to remember this but...good god people, it says it right in the name.

No, it doesn't. It means the world itself, where the majority of the PvE takes place, is open. When you go out into the world, everyone else is there with you (from the same server, of course). There are likely in most cases to be isolated instances for parties, that's a basic and understood to not take away from the fact that the world itself is open.

By your definition the only open world in existance (MMO-wise) is Eve Online, which is single sharded and has no dungeon style content. Your definition is not the universally understood one.

Oderint, dum metuant.

No, it doesn't. It means the world itself, where the majority of the PvE takes place, is open. When you go out into the world, everyone else is there with you (from the same server, of course). There are likely in most cases to be isolated instances for parties, that's a basic and understood to not take away from the fact that the world itself is open.

By your definition the only open world in existance (MMO-wise) is Eve Online, which is single sharded and has no dungeon style content. Your definition is not the universally understood one.

As far as I am aware the dungeons in Vanguard are also uninstanced, also UO, SWG was open world too. I am sure GW2 will be a great game but it is not open world.
  • KenaoshiKenaoshi Member UncommonPosts: 1,022

Long hair for males image

now: GW2 (11 80s).
    Dark Souls 2.
    future: Mount&Blade 2 BannerLord.
    "Bro, do your even fractal?"
    Recommends: Guild Wars 2, Dark Souls, Mount&Blade: Warband, Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning.

As far as I am aware the dungeons in Vanguard are also uninstanced, also UO, SWG was open world too. I am sure GW2 will be a great game but it is not open world.

Only the personal story and dungeons are instanced. The world is open. When you go into the open world, you are not in an instance. You're there with everyone else.

Oderint, dum metuant.

Only the personal story and dungeons are instanced. The world is open. When you go into the open world, you are not in an instance. You're there with everyone else.

So then it's a partially open world not an open world, simple logic 101, I am sure it won't affect people's enjoyment but saying its a fully open world is incorrect.
  • just1opinionjust1opinion Member UncommonPosts: 4,641

Originally posted by Meowhead

Originally posted by Distopia

Not much more to the question than what's in the OP.

One thing I'd like to see would be a TES form of lore introduction within the world. While scripted events and dialogue do the trick to an extent. Nothing does it better than how TES handles it, books, lots of collectable books to purchase, find, or even steal. I am not familar with the lore in GW, I played GW1 but I really only PVP'd and unlocked skills. It would be great to learn about it in such a fashion.

I would also like to be able to have bookshelves in my personal instance, to store said books.  :T

Even if they didn't show up physically, just being able to click on a bookshelf and read various stories from books I've put into the bookshelf.

It'd also be nice to be able to write your own stories in custom books, but that's super unlikely. D:

Like UO or better yet, like some of the bookshelves in EQ2 where you can actually PLACE your books on the shelf and take them off to read. :)   I love books in MMOs, and I loved being able to write them too (EQ2).  My character always kept a diary and recipe book. lol  w00t  And I had a COLLECTION of books by one of the "authors" on the server who wrote such fun and wonderful books!  I miss that.

President of The Marvelously Meowhead Fan Club

• BrokenSpoonBrokenSpoon Member Posts: 205

I want cake!!! 

All hail the Barn Owl! oh.. and the RED SQUIRREL!!!

So then it's a partially open world not an open world, simple logic 101, I am sure it won't affect people's enjoyment but saying its a fully open world is incorrect.

It depends if you're trying to word it such to turn people off to the game. Calling it an "instanced world" is a deliberate attempt to make people think it'll be like the original Guild Wars, a misconception many still seem to have. The original does indeed have a fully instanced world. When you leave town, you are in an instance with only your party. Guild Wars 2 is nothing like that... the world itself is fully open. Like WoW, the dungeons are instanced... this is accepted as standard today and surprises noone.

The reality is that the world is open, but dungeons and personal story are instanced, like the majority of MMOs today.

Oderint, dum metuant.

It depends if you're trying to word it such to turn people off to the game. Calling it an "instanced world" is a deliberate attempt to make people think it'll be like the original Guild Wars, a misconception many still seem to have. The original does indeed have a fully instanced world. When you leave town, you are in an instance with only your party. Guild Wars 2 is nothing like that... the world itself is fully open. Like WoW, the dungeons are instanced... this is accepted as standard today and surprises noone.

The reality is that the world is open, but dungeons and personal story are instanced, like the majority of MMOs today.

A prisoner is free within in cell in that case, I am not trying to turn anyone on or off, please do not assume motives, GW2 looks like a great game, but I am not going to evangelise false information about it, why make incorrect statements, the game looks good enough to stand on it own merits without making false statements.

A prisoner is free within in cell in that case, I am not trying to turn anyone on or off, please do not assume motives, GW2 looks like a great game, but I am not going to evangelise false information about it, why make incorrect statements, the game looks good enough to stand on it own merits without making false statements.

No one considers WoW to be an instanced world, and with it's phasing it's less "open" than GW2 is. So to call GW2 an instanced world when it obviously isn't, and when such an accusation brings to mind the original GW, which is fully instanced, makes you question the motives behind such a misleading claim.

Oderint, dum metuant.

No one considers WoW to be an instanced world, and with it's phasing it's less "open" than GW2 is. So to call GW2 an instanced world when it obviously isn't, and when such an accusation brings to mind the original GW, which is fully instanced, makes you question the motives behind such a misleading claim.

It a world with a large open area but it is not open world, why defend the indefensible?