Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

The reason I'm taking the scroll and playing WoW

RekindleRekindle Member UncommonPosts: 1,206

I give up trying to find anything different than World of Warcraft.

Looking at the product its pretty decent I guess, for this casual gamer.  I'm done with the rest of them.

Why bother playing clones when all everyone is trying to do now is beat blizzard.  Until something truly innovative comes up I'm not (and haven't been) playing the stupid game of buying a mmo for three months and then moving on.

They are all clones, so might as well go with the one that has done the best to absorb all the features from every other game.

Comments

• FrostWyrmFrostWyrm Member Posts: 1,036

Originally posted by Rekindle

Looking at the product its pretty decent I guess, for this casual gamer.  I'm done with the rest of them.

Why bother playing clones when all everyone is trying to do now is beat blizzard.  Until something truly innovative comes up I'm not (and haven't been) playing the stupid game of buying a mmo for three months and then moving on.

They are all clones, so might as well go with the one that has done the best to absorb all the features from every other game.

This is exactly why WoW is so popular. People do exactly what you're doing, and they see their numbers increase. I'm not saying you're wrong for your decision, just that its a vicious self-perpetuating cycle that will continue until someone tries to make a better MMO.

• fenistilfenistil Member Posts: 3,005

Sure your decision mate. Hope you have fun.

I came to same conslusions as you - but in effect my decision is to not play ANY mmorpg until something decent will came out.  

And of all those titles incoming only two have potential. One small potential and one big potential.

• Superduper69Superduper69 Member Posts: 363

OP plenty of different games which are not cloning WOW exists, blame yourself not the MMOS.

• stragen001stragen001 Member UncommonPosts: 1,720

You have become part of the problem. 

If you are bored of MMO's dont play MMO's. Please for the love of god dont support WoW, otherwise we will be stuck with WoW-style themeparks for ever more

Cluck Cluck, Gibber Gibber, My Old Mans A Mushroom

• EliandalEliandal Member Posts: 796

Originally posted by stragen001

If you are bored of MMO's dont play MMO's. Please for the love of god dont support WoW, otherwise we will be stuck with WoW-style themeparks for ever more

Really?  Come on now.  He's not part of any problem, people like you, who think that all the genre's issue are the fault of Blizzard are the problem if there IS one. 

Hope you have fun in there OP!  I know I (and apparently a great many others) am.

• BrokenSpoonBrokenSpoon Member Posts: 205

7 Scrolls hit my inbox from, strangely from 7 different friends. I find it funny as I have mainly all class at 85, my account is  cataclysm activated and I never collected mounts, pointless..  Also.. I will never touch that piss poor game ever again... its no longer the fun it used to be.. infact should have gone when Death Knights showed their pathetic heads....  

All hail the Barn Owl! oh.. and the RED SQUIRREL!!!

• 69Cuda69Cuda Member Posts: 251

Originally posted by Eliandal

Really?  Come on now.  He's not part of any problem, people like you, who think that all the genre's issue are the fault of Blizzard are the problem if there IS one. 

Hope you have fun in there OP!  I know I (and apparently a great many others) am.

Good luck and have fun. You get a level 80 character and 7 days of free time to play to boot. If you are smart you can hit 85 and max out  your gear in the 7 days and then quit again without spending any money. There really isnt much to do in the game to justify more than the 7 days playing after all. Kinda dumb on blizzards part imo. They should give a reasonable amount of free time to play. I figure about 15 minutes before you run out of relevant content and get bored to tears in game at this point.

Also - I predict you will sit at either O or SW the majority of your time "playing". Facebook games have more "depth" at this point in WoW's lifecycle.

• WorstluckWorstluck Member Posts: 1,269

Originally posted by fenistil

Sure your decision mate. Hope you have fun.

I came to same conslusions as you - but in effect my decision is to not play ANY mmorpg until something decent will came out.  

And of all those titles incoming only two have potential. One small potential and one big potential.

Yep, same boat for me at the moment.  Until something decent comes out, I am going back to my Steam games, which I own too many and haven't even played some.  I tried to play WoW when Cata came out but the thought of what I had to when I got to 85 kind of made me sick, so that lasted a whole week.  I had one of my Eve accounts open until recently, but I think I am just bored with that game as well after all these years, maybe when DUST comes out it can breathe some life into it. 

If you truly want to play the game by all means go ahead, but if you are going to go back because there is nothing better, I would pass if I was you..  Go play some multiplayer or co-op games like me and wait until MMO developers and publishers can get their act together and put out something worthwhile.

Originally posted by Eliandal

The OP says himself its a problem, and it is. WoW has become the formula by which all other companies base their MMOs. Until someone changes the formula, instead of copying it, we'll never get anything besides even cheaper WoW knock-offs.

With so many people dissatisfied with the MMO market, WoW becomes the fallback. Many among the millions of subscribers they like to boast about are not people who necessarily enjoy the game, but have decided to settle for it because everything else just tries to copy it.

If a truly unique MMO were to come along you could bet WoW would sink faster than a fat kid on a boat made of waffles.

• CeridithCeridith Member UncommonPosts: 2,980

Re-sub to WoW?

Should have upgraded to Rift. It's close to WoW, but it does things a hell of a lot better. Not to mention that Trion is an overall better company than Blizzard has become.

• SonofSethSonofSeth Member UncommonPosts: 1,884

I'm back, as soon as I'm done with Mass Effect 3.

• RusqueRusque Member RarePosts: 2,785

Originally posted by BrokenSpoon

7 Scrolls hit my inbox from, strangely from 7 different friends. I find it funny as I have mainly all class at 85, my account is  cataclysm activated and I never collected mounts, pointless..  Also.. I will never touch that piss poor game ever again... its no longer the fun it used to be.. infact should have gone when Death Knights showed their pathetic heads....  

I don't understand statements like this.

You say the game is piss poor, yet you have apparently played every expansion (to get to 85) and have every class at 85 . . .

I mean, you must have enjoyed it to do all that no?  And DK's came out last expansion, yet you played through that and the next one? And DK's are pathetic yet you must have one at 85 if you have all classes at 85. And it's a piss poor game?

Sounds like it was a great game until you got burnt out, and now you're bitter.

• arctarusarctarus Member UncommonPosts: 2,581

You cant blame players when they return to the game they have fun, even for a short while till something comes along.

As a consumer they can choose where they spend their money on. And Blizz have done exactly right in providing to this segment of the market. 

Copying Wow is absolutely.  the devs fault. How many so call "wow clone" have come and gone, and all have " fail" ?

Yet new developers still blindly copying it and hope that they will be different, they will be the company that do it right this time. 

Till a new company really wake up, with the budget, and comes out with something new for others that dont like the WoW formula, players will always goes back to the original.

I believe that the market is now ripe for harvest for a new generations of developers...

If only they will see

RIP Orc Choppa

• CeridithCeridith Member UncommonPosts: 2,980

Originally posted by Rusque

You say the game is piss poor, yet you have apparently played every expansion (to get to 85) and have every class at 85 . . .

I mean, you must have enjoyed it to do all that no?  And DK's came out last expansion, yet you played through that and the next one? And DK's are pathetic yet you must have one at 85 if you have all classes at 85. And it's a piss poor game?

You act like it's difficult to get to max level... it's not, especially if you're already had your classes at the previous expansions level cap.

Regardless, your argument is irrelevant. Playing through new content on several different characters to see if any of the class changes click right is important... For Wrath I mainly played and raided on my pally and lock, where my main prior was my warrior through vanilla and BC. Prior to dropping my warrior as a main in wrath, I was frustrated by the mechanic changes to warriors and wasn't enjoying the game very much.

Additionally, it takes time to experience all the content on Heroic as well as go through raids before you can make a fully informed decision as to the overall quality of the expansion... It took me a couple months of Cataclysm to confirm that my concerns with what the game had become weren't going to get any better, and I quit.

Originally posted by Rusque

I said Mainly all... not all ;-) 

I actually stopped playing the game 4 times, each time being for long periods of times(8-10 months at a time).. DK is the only class I did not enjoy or enjoy the lore of. I have some extremely decent memories of WoW though.. but now the content and raids are nothing but boring & piss poor excuses to keep us paying for shit.

You can enjoy it or not.. the offer does not appeal to me due to it not offering me anything but a free mount.

The game was great at launch and TBC, I stuck around for my large group of RL friends that played it.. Infact I should be bitter towards WoW due to it splitting apart my Clan in CSS :D but that aside I am not bitter.. just think the offer is out there to attract the weak minded.. nothing more.  

Meh.. and I really didnt play the game that much to have 85's :P its not hard :-)

• MMOGamer71MMOGamer71 Member UncommonPosts: 1,988

Cool, have fun.

• azrael466azrael466 Member Posts: 365

and now its another round of NAME, THAT, STEREOTYPE!

claims to have a bunch of high level characters(rather true or not)

Insults death knights when they, like every class, have about equal ratio of good to bad players as every other class.

insults the game

uses "it was better before they changed it" or "they changed it now it sucks" arguements.

Sounds ilke you're still a wow player! :D

Playing
    Nothing
    waiting for
    The secret world
    Played
    WoW, DCU online, star wars: the old republic, city of heroes, city of villains, everquest, plenty more I'm probably forgetting or aren't worth noting.

• RaysheRayshe Member UncommonPosts: 1,279

I accepted one to chat with my old guild, actually play the game. probubly not, however ill accept 7 days of chat for free.

Because i can.
    I'm Hopeful For Every Game, Until the Fan Boys Attack My Games. Then the Knives Come Out.
    Logic every gamers worst enemy.

Anyone who played WoW will be a WoW player. strange that... I just don't currently play it.. but I will bash it as much as I like.. :D

• nariusseldonnariusseldon Member EpicPosts: 27,775

Originally posted by FrostWyrm

The OP says himself its a problem, and it is. WoW has become the formula by which all other companies base their MMOs. Until someone changes the formula, instead of copying it, we'll never get anything besides even cheaper WoW knock-offs.

Hmm .. TOR is not a CHEAPER WOW knock-off. It is a more expensive one, at least compared to the vanilla WOW.

Originally posted by nariusseldon

Hmm .. TOR is not a CHEAPER WOW knock-off. It is a more expensive one, at least compared to the vanilla WOW.

Cheap as in quality, not cost.

• nariusseldonnariusseldon Member EpicPosts: 27,775

Originally posted by nariusseldon

Cheap as in quality, not cost.

That is debatable. There is no single dimension of quality. It is worse in polish, and may be art design, but certainly it is MUCH better in story, and voice dialogue.