Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

i dont think gw2 is going to be the the best game ever [Mod Edit]

Comments

• BrokenSpoonBrokenSpoon Member Posts: 205

The old  "I don't like GW1 therefore I will dislike GW2" -- *Karl Pilkington flies in* "stop talking bullsh*t.."

This is a new game... not 7 years ago! I actually hope you WoW clone hunters skip this game all together… 

All hail the Barn Owl! oh.. and the RED SQUIRREL!!!

• ZairuZairu Member Posts: 469

Originally posted by R.I.O.T

Nope, not at all...Lol. I'm just going to different MMOs and posting my thoughts as I read these threads. image

for the record, i was just having a lil fun. i love existentialism, and saw an oppurtunity on an otherwise dull thread.

• VaultarVaultar Member Posts: 339

I doubt it's going to be THE best game ever, but definately one of the top out there :).

Looking forward to EQL and EQN.

• ZylaxxZylaxx Member Posts: 2,574

Originally posted by BrokenSpoon

The old  "I don't like GW1 therefore I will dislike GW2" -- *Karl Pilkington flies in* "stop talking bullsh*t.."

This is a new game... not 7 years ago! I actually hope you WoW clone hunters skip this game all together… 

You and I both brother, you and I both.

Everything you need to know about Elder Scrolls Online

Playing: GW2
    Waiting on: TESO
    Next Flop: Planetside 2
    Best MMO of all time: Asheron's Call - The first company to recreate AC will be the next greatest MMO.

• mad-hattermad-hatter Member UncommonPosts: 241

It won't be, as much as I'd like to say it's going to be the next big thing, I have absolutely no faith in anet to actually come through and deliver.  It's just being ultra hyped up now because everyone is pissed about swtor not delivering. 

• thekid1thekid1 Member UncommonPosts: 789

Originally posted by bishbosh

Originally posted by thekid1

BLASPHEMY

And yes I think your points are valid. It will not be the best game which could be made.

Hell, it will even do things less good then other games, probably a lot of things.

Even though it will not be the "ultimate mmorpg which can never be surpassed" I still like very much what I read and see.

Edit.

My "ultimate mmorpg which can never be surpassed" would be Eve online with people (not ships) and twich FPS control PLUS added button skills. (don't think that's ever dbeen one before). And player housing and shops and better quests.

And boobs.

just need a game with a large zone with player owned cities/settlements where you can attack each other given a certain condition (perhaps one day per week could be siege day where you are allowed to capture peoples cities). different cities give access to different crafting bonuses, buffs, different amounts of space etc. items should decay upon death keeping the economy alive without punishing too heavily for death. distinct pvp and pve zone. pvp zones have better rewards but greater risk of death.

Get out of my head. I really thought 8 years ago when I strated playing mmorpg's (SWG) that would be the future of mmo gaming. Unfortunatly I was slightly wrong...

• RefMinorRefMinor Member UncommonPosts: 3,452

BLASPHEMY

And yes I think your points are valid. It will not be the best game which could be made.
    Hell, it will even do things less good then other games, probably a lot of things.

Even though it will not be the "ultimate mmorpg which can never be surpassed" I still like very much what I read and see.

Edit.
    My "ultimate mmorpg which can never be surpassed" would be Eve online with people (not ships) and twich FPS control PLUS added button skills. (don't think that's ever dbeen one before). And player housing and shops and better quests.
    And boobs.

just need a game with a large zone with player owned cities/settlements where you can attack each other given a certain condition (perhaps one day per week could be siege day where you are allowed to capture peoples cities). different cities give access to different crafting bonuses, buffs, different amounts of space etc. items should decay upon death keeping the economy alive without punishing too heavily for death. distinct pvp and pve zone. pvp zones have better rewards but greater risk of death.

Get out of my head. I really thought 8 years ago when I strated playing mmorpg's (SWG) that would be the future of mmo gaming. Unfortunatly I was slightly wrong...

You were both right, we are just not there yet.
  • MumboJumboMumboJumbo Member UncommonPosts: 3,219

I think the PvP will be a boon to GW2. Some games eg GDC GOY Skyrim are no doubt good games, but I prefer multiplayer RPGs (replay/motivation etc) so PvE will provide that + PvP systems. It's looking like a very good deal even if the PvE fails to live up to expectations.

• Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441

Originally posted by mad-hatter

It won't be, as much as I'd like to say it's going to be the next big thing, I have absolutely no faith in anet to actually come through and deliver.  It's just being ultra hyped up now because everyone is pissed about swtor not delivering. 

GW2 have been the most hyped game here since it was revealed at Gamescon a few years back, long before the launch of TOR. 

It´s score here have been between 8.70-8.75 all that time so you are wrong. In fact it was always higher than TOR even the week before TORs launch.

GW2 might be overhyped or not, but TOR is not what is behind the thing. I think it have more to do with people getting more and more tired of the legacy mechanics most MMOs have.

GW2 anyways needs to prove itself, it might actually be the next big thing or it might not, we just have to wait and see for that.

• ComfyChairComfyChair Member Posts: 758

The whole idea of the 'game not being different enough' is fairly silly all things considered. I guess CoD is the same as Doom if that's true.

But anyway, you'll find out when the game comes out (because you can't theorycraft it away) that GW2 is the best MMO ever released from a mechanics standpoint. If you're trying to say 'it's not different', i hope the MMO genre dies, because people like that, who can't tell a good thing from a steaming pile of copy-pasta are what ruin gaming.

• itgrowlsitgrowls Member Posts: 2,951

Originally posted by ComfyChair

The whole idea of the 'game not being different enough' is fairly silly all things considered. I guess CoD is the same as Doom if that's true.

But anyway, you'll find out when the game comes out (because you can't theorycraft it away) that GW2 is the best MMO ever released from a mechanics standpoint. If you're trying to say 'it's not different', i hope the MMO genre dies, because people like that, who can't tell a good thing from a steaming pile of copy-pasta are what ruin gaming.

Thank you. SOOO agree with that. I also wish people would stop misusing the word Hype because they haven't put out a single commercial or ad campaign yet since it's not done, and they certainly haven't paid these websites to give their game a 9/10 rating for an unfinished product which shall remain unnamed! The only reason why people are talking is due to sheer excitement for what it could be and what it looks like it is from the press beta videos. These sheeple need to take their bandwagon and go home.

• toodlepip123toodlepip123 Member Posts: 125

Gw2 will be a decent game in its own right, but its only real appeal would be the semi dynamic world and its more or less free to play.

• gainesvilleggainesvilleg Member CommonPosts: 1,053

And boobs.

Absolutely 100% agree with all of that, including the boobs LOL.

GW2 "built from the ground up with microtransactions in mind"
    1) Cash->Gems->Gold->Influence->WvWvWBoosts = PAY2WIN
    2) Mystic Chests = Crass in-game cash shop advertisements

• RaysheRayshe Member UncommonPosts: 1,279

GW2 will be solid, they kinda have a decent reputation for this. The game being the Crown Gem of the genre is arrogent. i feel this game is starting to sit akin to Halo, Yes Halo was good, NO it was NOT the best FPS to date. Yes GW2 will be good, No It will not become the best MMO ever. the MMO Genre is even more Opinionated than any other genre, i will actually stand by the statement that there will never be a Best MMO ever. Best MMO of 2012, possible, im sure GW2 can beat TERA, TSW doesn't care about competeing, rest is all sand box so the sandboxers will all flock to those games saying they are the best of 2012.

Because i can.
    I'm Hopeful For Every Game, Until the Fan Boys Attack My Games. Then the Knives Come Out.
    Logic every gamers worst enemy.

• Master10KMaster10K Member Posts: 3,065

Originally posted by LadyNoh

GW2 will be solid, they kinda have a decent reputation for this. The game being the Crown Gem of the genre is arrogent. i feel this game is starting to sit akin to Halo, Yes Halo was good, NO it was NOT the best FPS to date. Yes GW2 will be good, No It will not become the best MMO ever. the MMO Genre is even more Opinionated than any other genre, i will actually stand by the statement that there will never be a Best MMO ever. Best MMO of 2012, possible, im sure GW2 can beat TERA, TSW doesn't care about competeing, rest is all sand box so the sandboxers will all flock to those games saying they are the best of 2012.

Yeah, best MMO of 2012. I can definitely see that. However it may actually have some competition from Planeside 2. If SOE can actually deliver.

• StoneRosesStoneRoses Member RarePosts: 1,779

Originally posted by Khaeros

Originally posted by StoneRoses

graphs

Graphs?  Will a chart work instead?

You got it bro!

Omg Charts! Underrated!

MMORPGs aren't easy, You're just too PRO!
  • eAzydamaneAzydaman Member Posts: 218

Ofcourse it will be the best MMO released to date. Name any other MMO that can compete with GW2? Maybe just maybe DAOC in it's time, but it's outdated now. 

Sandbox games almost always is buggy as crap. Even if Anet tried something like that i don't think they could succeed. WvWvW will keep me occupied for years and years. At last a really nice PVP MMO. What MMO's should be all about.

• RequiamerRequiamer Member Posts: 2,034

GW2 even if it seam as a very good mmo, still is "only" a very action oriented mmo. For me a really good mmo have to offer a bit more than that tbh, extensive crafting that weaven into the whole game, strong communities building (this mean player cities), a lot of role play elements, a sense of world. Well GW2 have some of those, but it's just too much action oriented imo. But maybe thats because i'm more of a sandbox player and i'm used to games that offer a lot of things.

• ZylaxxZylaxx Member Posts: 2,574

Originally posted by Requiamer

GW2 even if it seam as a very good mmo, still is "only" a very action oriented mmo. For me a really good mmo have to offer a bit more than that tbh, extensive crafting that weaven into the whole game, strong communities building (this mean player cities), a lot of role play elements, a sense of world. Well GW2 have some of those, but it's just too much action oriented imo. But maybe thats because i'm more of a sandbox player and i'm used to games that offer a lot of things.

I wont go into much here other then to tell you if you are into strong communities then GW2 should be on your high priority play list.  Do some searching and you should if you are reasonable and not just a hater, come to the quick realization that Community building is a strong foundational philosophy of Anet in general and GW2 in particular.

Everything you need to know about Elder Scrolls Online

Playing: GW2
    Waiting on: TESO
    Next Flop: Planetside 2
    Best MMO of all time: Asheron's Call - The first company to recreate AC will be the next greatest MMO.

• MothanosMothanos Member UncommonPosts: 1,910

A few points Arenanet is going to do diffrent also happens to be the most anoying one's.

Griefing like mob stealing

Ninja looting

Node stealing

pick up a serie of quests and run around and bring them back rinse and repeat to max level

Not getting invited by a group doing (elite) quests

Looking for a tank / healer for 30 minutes or more

^----These points alone are something i appriciate so much i cant even tell you how delighted this truly is.

Lets talk about the real poits that are even better then any mmo on the market at this point.

Jump to PvP with max stats after tutorial introduction. 

Dynamic Events that replace questing with progression and a boss after each Event.

Change weapons and get new skill sets.

No 50 keybindings anymore so my razor naga can get some rest.

Dynamic Events that scale's on amount of players and scale's your level down if your to high.

Helping a friend who's 50 levels below you and still get a challenge. 

WvWvW PvP with not 2 but 3 servers.

Spectator mode to look at good teams while you eat your pizza.

Etc

Etc 

Etc

Cant name it all, but if you readed my post and still say GW2 aint worth shit, then you better of quiting mmo's as it willt ake a long time to beat this model of gaming.

It deletes all shit elements from previous mmo's and make's as much fun elements to improve the fun factor in a mmorpg.

People bashing Arenanet for their creativity's and balls to do something diffrent after 500 failed mmo's in the past years are no fans of the genre.

Even if its yet again a fantasy based mmo, it will be the best so far.

Other studio's need to adapt to Arenanet's Buy to Play also, subscriptions costs when not getting enough contend is getting old, and people just rush contend and /end sub these days so whats to point in having it.

After EQ / WoW  / Eve / DaoC i havent played a mmo that comes even close to the quality of these 4 top dogs.

Even if it aint the second comming we are predicting it to be, its buy to play so you can /quit after playing it and move along and come back whenever you are bored again.

Seriously what are people expecting these days ? :)

• mazutmazut Member UncommonPosts: 988

to be honest im starting to feel the gw2 doesnt offer that much over WOW clones

-semi action combat ; you still auto target and click buttons, enemies can just move out of the way now

I agree, they MUST implement the new interface where the game pad is attached directly to your brain. Pressing skills is old...

-realm vs realm pvp; this is a decent pvp feature but it still doesnt exploit the potential a mmorpg has to offer. im referring to player  owned cities that can be taken over by other players.

They have big keeps that can be taken, there is no difference, except you wont kill civilians. If you refer to WAR, it was bad, cus people who didnt want to PvP couldnt enter their city.

-"dynamic" events/quests. dynamic/non dynamic isnt as black and white as it seems. there is degrees of dynamic and this depends completely on the size of the pool of events/quests that a game can choose from. it seems like some events just keep repeating eg. those dragon encounters and the ghost ship. how is this different to a dungeon? i dont think gw2 events will have real consequences just like RIFT. i cant see invasions having consequences unless they affect player owned settlements/cities/castles. in RIFT you dont really care when a quest hub is taken because it isnt your quest hub. its the communities quest hub and you dont really care about the community because such are modern mmorpgs.

No mater how bad do you want to look, its still a lot better then the regular Joe. Most games on release have around 1000-1500 quests. Split this into 2, cus most have 2 faction system. I dont see the difference. Even completers dont finish all quests.

• MwynForeverMwynForever Member Posts: 139

I find your post rather ironic as on the one hand you go on about wow clones but in reality, you and many others are upset that GW2 isn't much like WoW at all. I am not sure what will make you happy but if you cannot conceive the prospect of a GOOD MMO that doesn't fit in the WoW box in your mind, I think you are setting yourself up for disappointment. Probably GW2 won't be the best game ever for you and many other people, but you fail to accept  WoW wasn't the best game ever for everyone. Some people put EQ and EQ2 on the top of their list, others DoaC and so on. To each his own. We all have different opinions/likes/dislikes.

One of life's lil hand grenades

• bishboshbishbosh Member Posts: 388

Originally posted by MwynForever

I find your post rather ironic as on the one hand you go on about wow clones but in reality, you and many others are upset that GW2 isn't much like WoW at all. I am not sure what will make you happy but if you cannot conceive the prospect of a GOOD MMO that doesn't fit in the WoW box in your mind, I think you are setting yourself up for disappointment. Probably GW2 won't be the best game ever for you and many other people, but you fail to accept  WoW wasn't the best game ever for everyone. Some people put EQ and EQ2 on the top of their list, others DoaC and so on. To each his own. We all have different opinions/likes/dislikes.

i dont like wow. i dont know where you got that from. i prefer sandbox or pvp focussed mmorpgs.

• xmentyxmenty Member UncommonPosts: 718

Originally posted by MwynForever

i dont like wow. i dont know where you got that from. i prefer sandbox or pvp focussed mmorpgs.

Well I think you have to wait for Archeage then not GW2.

Its have a Themepark / sandbox and PVP focused on one of the continent.

Just go and Youtube Archeage.

Pardon my English as it is not my 1st language :)

• headphonesheadphones Member Posts: 611

And boobs.

it's why i'm a little intrigued by their vampire game they're offering. it will be interesting to see how they go with that in terms of combat. i'll bet every dollar i have it'll have boobs.